Shay Given Is A World Class Goalkeeper

Shola Ameobi has been talking to BBC Radio 5 today and started off by telling everybody just how good a goalkeeper our own Shay Given is.

Shola Ameobi – Shay Given is world class

Ameobi told BBC Radio Newcastle.

“Shay is world-class, there’s no doubt about it” “He proves his worth week-in, week-out and he’s done it again. We’re delighted that he is here.”

Shola is looking forward to our next game at Middlesbrough on Saturday, where we need to start again and pick up those wins so we can climb the table.

Shola talked about Middlesbrough:

“They’ve been beaten so it’s going to be very important for them and it will be a great match,” “We’ve lost one derby this season and we don’t want to lose another one, we need the points to keep climbing up that table.”

“It’s a place I like playing, and if I get the nod to play then I’ll be doing all I can to make sure we win in style.”

In what is an unlikely but surpisingly good season for Ameobi, he’s made 11 appearances so far for the Magpies, scoring three goals and is now on 49 total goals for the club. Hey, a good time to get his 50th goal for the club on Saturday.

And although Newcastle were trying to sell Shola in August, it doesn’t look like Joe Kinnear will want him to leave in January, although his contract is up in the summer.

In fact one worry is that multiple contracts up for renewal next summer including those of Owen, Ameobi, Harper, Cacapa, Butt, Viduka and Edgar.

So a lot of work needs to get done in that particular area, but we have no idea who will be able top do that, with the club’s ownership still very uncertain.

Somehow, that needs to be sorted out, and soon.

• beyethegreat

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:54 AM

of course shay given is world class tell us something we dont know

though no doubt paul:d will have something to say

• Xsico golden boot

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:57 AM

when they say transfers self financing does that include th money mike made in the summer

• ELFER

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:59 AM

If you trust kinnear, and I do, you shouldn’t worry about the contracts of Owen and Harper I think…they will be renewed.

• Bill F (Original)

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Shay is a really good GK no question of that, his one big drawback is that he doesn’t command the box. High balls lobbed in have always been our big problem and main source of goals conceded. Pity we couldn’t meld him with the Spurs clown , who really does do the physical stuff although he is crap at everything else.

• Sav

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Tsk, tsk. Xisco’s Golden Boot. – You weren’t supposed to mention that!

• Karltoon

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Aye… There’ll be some questions about the Milner money.. Surely that didnt go on Xisco… And Dorito’s wages..

• bowburnmag

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Given is as good as anything out there at the moment. No keeper that I’ve seen of late has been what you’d call perfect. In fact, I’ve not seen a keeper as good as Schmeichel since he retired. Therefore, the term ‘World Class’ regards keepers probably allows for imperfections such as not being physical enough and I’d call him ‘world class’ as a result of that.

• WesToon

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Thank You Shay for over a decade of brilliant goalkeeping!!!

Beyethegreat….do you know AO??

• Dave Atkinson

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:31 PM

He is not ‘world class’ you muppet! He’s a decent goalie but if we were able to compare him and Schmeichel….? There would be no, repeat no, contest. That is what we mean when we talk about ‘world class’.

• Danish_Magpie

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:43 PM

To be fair, there aren’t many goalkeepers in the Prem I would rather have. Cech for sure, maybe Reina. I believe Jussi and Rob Green are at about the same level, but would prefer Given because of his history with us.

..and to those that will point them out; van der Sar is getting old and not amazing anymore, and I’ve never seen anything special from Almunia. With regards to Carson, Robinson, Kirkland etc. they have not showed the stability of a true quality keeper.

• bowburnmag

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Cheers Dave Atkinson, good to see you agree with me then?

• Dave Atkinson

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Absolutely Bowburnmag! Didn’t see your posting until I’d submitted mine!

• AO

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:52 PM

westoon- pestering fellow bloggers who have never met me wont get you my number. Anyway i am straight so you will have to look elsewhere for love.

• WesToon

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:00 PM

@ AO // Nov 24, 2008 at 13:52

WOW AO,who said anything about getting your number?? Have you signed the sex offenders act mate?? Kinda scaring me here BUT anyway Your Mum doesnt seem to think im Gay 🙂 i mean i wouldnt call it Love BUT its a start,dont you think???

Remind me again Man U or Spuds???

• AO

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Westoon- Haha. I just love those I’m shagging your mum jokes. Most people find them childish and immature, but i just love them. I dont think they make you look stupid at all. And the smiley just adds to the amusement.

As for this manu spuds thing you keep going on about. It was obviously you who posted as me thinking that it would be hilarious and your right it was. I am still laughing now!

Fool.

• WesToon

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:13 PM

@ AO

Nice reply,sooooo intelligent mate!!!

HAHAHAH,i Love the mom jokes too BUT only this time its the truth & you know what they say Son….. The Truth Hurts 🙂

• AO

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:36 PM

westoon- yawn. so you are shagging my mum. ha ha yawn. hilarious. I am very upset at this revelation, yawn. Do give her my best as i thought she died when i was 10.

• AO

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:38 PM

westit- the truth hurts as you say. Is that why you get so upset when i tell you a few home truths about your team. Or is whining like a girl just part of who you are?

Actually dont bother to reply. I cant believe i am talking away to a kid.

• WesToon

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:15 PM

@ AO
    Mate im 26 years old,been supporting NUFC for all 26 years,So Lad,im sorry the same cnt be said of u! Its called loyalty to 1 club,You should try it sometime!

• nepali toon army

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:07 PM

shay is no.1 and will remain no.1 goalkeeper of the world.we are proud to have him in newcastle united rather than other high profile goalkeepers . he has single handedly saved us from many defeats. he is a gem.
    newcastle 4 life