Michael Owen Has Given Up On Predictions

It seems that Michael Owen has given up trying to predict how many points Newcastle will get in their upcoming games.

Michael Owen – given up predicting number of points

Michael told the club’s official website, www.nufc.co.uk today:

“Listen, we sat in the dressing room thinking, ‘We have just won two back-to-back games and if we win on Saturday against Fulham, we will be top half, and then we have got Wigan at home – if we can get six points, we will be in the top six’.”

“Then it doesn’t work like that. We lost at Fulham and we only drew with Wigan and you think, ‘Oh no, now we have got Chelsea away and Spurs and Liverpool coming up’, and all of a sudden, it looks hard.”

“And then we go and get a draw at Chelsea, so gone are the days where we are looking at fixtures.” “It is obviously a big game and a winnable game for both teams. I suppose they will be thinking the same thing – they are on their home patch.”

“But hopefully, we can go there and get the points.”

Owen has made just 12 appearances to date this season after suffering from mumps and a calf problem during the summer, but he still has six goals to his name, and is leading scorer with Oba Martins.

Michael continued:

“In general, when I have played, I have felt good.” “Unfortunately, a lot of my goals have come as consolation goals. I scored three, four, five goals on the spin in successive games, and most of them were consolation goals.”

“It is always nice to come on and score and it to be important in a 1-0 win, so let’s hope we can get a few of those important goals in the coming weeks.”

Owen was asked to hold back and mark John Mikel Obi at Stamford Bridge on Saturday in an excellent defensive display by the team, when nobody gave them any chance at all.

Michael seemed only too willing to play a part in a great team performance, and he continued:

“It was a great afternoon. Some afternoons, you really remember.” “It was going into the lion’s den, in a way, and we did really well.”

Let’s hope Michael can get back on the goal trail again on Saturday, and this time hopefully scoring when we actually win a game.  We have no idea either what Michael is thinking about his career at the Newcastle club, because other clubs can start talking to him on January 1st, and he will become a free agent – available for no transfer fee – in the summer.

But first things first, and we definitely need all 3 points on Saturday to lift us out of the relegation zone.

• NE1

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Please stay Michael

• G

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:10 PM

I say let him leave if he wishes to leave, I would rather have him with us than against us though. The major problem would be finding such a natural goal scorer to replace him with, short of throwing 30Million quid at sombody’s agent we’re not going to find that player. I believe a Martins / Viduka front pairing would serve us better in the league than any other pairing we currently have, however, given Viduka’s age and injury history it’s doomed before it begins.

• NotAGhostToon

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Good to hear him pipe up a bit, hopefully the chelsea draw meant enough to him to fight for his right to stay, and indeed want to stay enough to do so.

• Whumpie

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:20 PM

He’s spot on with the predictions bit – best to give up trying. But you can’t help but think about where we could be in 2 games’ time…

• Whumpie

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:23 PM

I think he knows he needs to stay and show some consistent (uninjured) form to restore some credibility so that he has some career left.

He probably realises that he’s not viewed as being in the same class as the likes of Berbatov or Torres at the moment, and he needs to be in a club where he’s the unquestioned top striker to get back up there. Bench-warming at Liverpool isn’t going to help him.

For that reason, I think he’ll stay.

• M OWEN

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:36 PM

SHUD I STAY OR SHUD I GO NOW SHUD I STAY OR SHUD I GO NOW IF I STAY THERE WILL BE TROUBLE IF I GO THERE WILL BE DOUBLE ASHLEY YOU HAVE TO LET ME KNOW SHUD I STAY OR SHUD I GO

• big al

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:37 PM

come january owen wil go to villa and the club will still not be sold expect another statement from keith harris saying this the fact is if we get sold it will be at the end of the season if we dont go down no one is gonna chance 250 million quid on us staying up cause thats the risk !owen can only talk to clubs from abroad in jan !

• Turkish Magpie

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:49 PM

big al-where did you get that from?

• John

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Realistically Newcastle have got to look to the future and I’m afraid that will be without Michael Owen. No matter what we would all like, Owen is almost sure to be off in January.
    It was noticeable on Saturday, at Chelsea, exactly how much effort Owen is prepared to put in for the sake of the team and without his help in the midfield I think we would have been overrun. Sadly though he has been blighted with injury and if we were to examine the stats, his overall contribution since joining Newcastle has been quite poor. With that in mind I think Newcastle have to move on and maybe it gives us the opportunity to bring a player who fits into our shape of playing football.

• GraemeR

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:01 PM

I could by cynical and say that I thought he gave up years ago!!!
    However, he does hold all the aces and even talk of getting a fee for him in January is depending on him wanting to go and not just runnig down the clock and walking for a free (and a huge personal payment in lieu of a transfer fee)

I fear that we are doomed as ‘the sale’ now looks like February – this means ol fatso will asset strip in January – after all what has he got to loose?? (relegation – the main asset is SJP oh and the fans that keep filling it ). No money available for new players – a couple of loan players to hopefully keep us up but its not looking good.

• Turkish Magpie

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:01 PM

I say for saturday we go back to the almighty strikeforce

——————-Given—————–

—-Beye—–Colo—-Bass—–Enrique

——–Jonas—–Butt——-Duff——

——-Viduka—–Owen—–Martins–

Viduka will score against his old club with Martins and Owen getting 1 too and if 3 goals isn’t enough we’ll have to score more:D

• big al

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:07 PM

me mother works at st james with the corperate clients she told me last week that mike ashleys dad was there telling anyone that would listen that owen would be off to villa in jan and the club was no closer to be sold i put it on the blog last week im just reading between the lines on why he cant sell the club .realistically if someone wanted the club they would have bought it by now but they aint gonna risk that kind of cash on us staying up

• Rob Lee

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Anyone on here interested in a match worn and signed Kevin Keegan HSV Hamburg shirt from 1977? Posted this on here the other day, but had no luck,don’t mean to be a pain! At the minute, as I have no buyers up here, the shirt will be goin to auction at Sotheby’s in London, as I have had the shirt valued there and it could go next Spring. However, I would prefer the shirt to stay in geordieland if pos so anyone interested get back in touch! Give someone the best xmas present ever! (in my humble opinion,that is). I have photo’s that I will try to get on here, possibly by a link…

• Toon-Army1902

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:08 PM

i dont really care what owen does now, in the fulham game he didnt look tht determind to score, he looked like he could’nt bothered really, we need a striker that wants to work for the team and keep the toon up. what happened to that Chamakh guy tht we apparently bought?

• k k forever

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:12 PM

• Turkish Magpie

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Toonarmy1902- a striker that wants Newcastle to stay up- Ameobi!

but is he the right choice?

oh and what do people think the f0rmation should be on saturday

mines on comment number 10

• wigaz

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Lets be honest on his day Owen is still one of the best around! unfortunately he hasn’t had as many of those days for us as He or us would have liked. But in this current climate no striker of his quality would come to us, if we sold him in Jan for £5m who the hell could we buy of his pedigree for that? but maybe the best way forward for both of us in the future would be if he left. Personally i’d rather see him stay & have a crack at joining the list of Goalscoring heroes: Shearer Beardo Cole Ferdinand etc. But would you stay if you were him?

• THE BEAT.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:27 PM

big al, what was ashley,s fatha doing at st james’?
    and why was he spouting off?
    ask your owld dear will you mate.

• THE BEAT.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:28 PM

WHAT,S IT ALL ABOUT ASHLEY!!!!!!

• big al

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:43 PM

ashleys mam and dad have a private box at st james !this is the first time me mams actually heard someone talking about whats happening there i ask her all the time but like i say thats the first time she has heard anything apparantly everyone is in the dark with whats happening !

• k k forever

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:55 PM

WIGAZ 5 MIL WE CAN BUY KITSON FROM STOKE HA

• THE BEAT.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:08 PM

big al,tell your mutha to tell ashley,s fatha to give his box up as none of the ashley family are welcome at st james’.
    would be great if we could show the f***ing addams family the door once and for all.

• Lasse

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Owen has a very good goal ratio with pretty crap service. Still one of the best around no doubt. We need an Arshavin-type player. Preferrably Arshavin himself.

• wigaz

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Lasse great call for Arshavin! He would be the new Beardsley mate! he’s fantastic skillful creative & he can score goals but cant see the Fatman Parting with £15-20m for him like! I wouldn’t mind a cheeky bid for Zaki like. He’s not signed permanantly for Wigan & would thrive next to Oba.

• THE BEAT.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:31 PM

MICHAEL OWEN HAS GIVEN UP ON PREDICTIONS=has he suddenly realised he is not psychic?

• 51times

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:47 PM

Arshavin is a bit beyond us now, plus I hear he’s a bit of a party boy. We’ve had a lot of those in the past.

• Lasse

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:04 PM

As long as he delivers on the field he can party all he want for me! He would probably cost a fortune anyway, so no chance unless were being bought by someone willing to spend.

Wigaz
    I would love Zaki here, he was immense during the Euros and has shown he can cut it in the pren aswell. Heres to hope:)

• Lasse

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:05 PM

prem..lol

• Todd

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:20 PM

——————-Given—————–

—-Beye—–Colo—-Bass—–Enrique

——–Jonas—–Butt——-Duff/Zog——

——-Owen—–Shola—–Martins–

I don’t think the duke is back yet? So i would just swap for Shola. Possibly give Zoggy a run.

• Jew Dillegence

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:22 PM

What ever happened to Mystic Meg?

• Turkish Magpie

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Lasse-what you on? Zaki is egyptian

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:13 PM

turkish-i was gonna say the same, sorry lasse but zaki definitly didnt play any part in the Euros!

• DanToon

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:18 PM

………………..Given

Baye..Bassong..Coloccini..Enrique

…..Jonas….Guthrie….Nzogbia

……………….Owen

……..Martins……Viduka/Ameobi

That’s my team v Boro, stuff em’ lol i hope!

• Ganiyu

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:26 PM

If any body is to be sold taylor would b my choice.

• Todd

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:28 PM

He just won’t drop Duff though, i think something must be happening behind the scenes with Zoggy. Maybe he doesn’t show the same commitment at training or something?

But since JK has come Zoggy has been second pick to a player who just doesn’t cut it for me.

Can’t see him dropping Butt either.

Not that i don’t want him too.

• k k forever

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:32 PM

I would sell u ganiyu

• k k forever

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:34 PM

We shoudnt have to sell any we got a very small squad .So why does every one keep going on about it

• Todd

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:36 PM

And i keep saying this to Taylor hater’s… he’s still young and developing. You will struggle to find another CB who would come and play for us with as much ticker too.

That Everton goal may’ve saved our season.

• Ryan Peacock

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:39 PM

i think owen will go, but hope he doesnt, obviously

• Ganiyu

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:41 PM

We av always been ruled by bad heads