Chelsea Game Was A Game To Remember – Owen

Michael Owen was more than willing to play in a deeper role on Saturday, under the instructions of interim manager Joe Kinnear.

Michael Owen – it was a game to remember on Saturday

And because of that great performance we got an unexpected point in the capital, but we now have to go all out for all 3 points at Middlesbrough on Saturday, where another top defensive display will be needed.

Michael said today:

“There are those games you remember and that was one of them. It was like going into the lion’s den,”  “In general we played as a team and managed to contain them. No-one was trying to get the headlines, we all worked hard and there wasn’t really anyone you could pick out. We all did well.”

“It was really more of a defensive midfield role for me.” “I was asked to sit on Obi Mikel because we thought he sets off a lot of their moves so my job was to mark him and keep him from getting away.”

“I think they probably realized that and by the end it was three on three with them trying to bomb forward. I was happy to do it – it really is a team game.”

“I’m feeling good and I’m looking to get more goals,” “It’s obviously a big game – it’s a winnable game for both teams. We think we can go there and get the points though.”

One of the many good things Joe has done in these last almost 9 weeks at the club, is to mold the players into a real team, where they all play for each other, as was witnessed last Saturday.

Even Chelsea manager Scolari, after the game, had to admit Newcastle played well and were extremely well organized, and the Tyneside club got a lot of kudos for their valiant display in London.

Now for Middlesbrough.

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Kinnear has confirmed he is interested in Riise – http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4551939,00.html

He says a deal isnt likely because he is back in the Roma team now aswell.

• tino97

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:41 AM

The Chelsea game was good, but it will mean nothing if we can’t push on from here. Boro away and Stoke at home. I’m looking for 4 points. We need to start beating the teams around us, especially with the league so tight.

• lesh

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:45 AM

The Chelsea result was a great achievement and the defence was actually playing as a unit!

However, we’re good at collecting single points but the reality is the others around us are collecting three more often than we are – the result is there to see, the Wigans, Spurs and Fulhams of the league are leaving us behind.

It’s a tricky call, do we play to win or play not to win (as with Chelsea)?

We surely need to master the art of getting a nose in front then shutting upo the shop!!!

• sweendog

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:49 AM

This is exactly what keegan done .. play Owen deeper with 2 strikers feeding off him .. imagine if we had the martins – Duke with Owen playing behind .. then guttierez and duff on the wings .. we’d be flying up the league .. hopefully at some point against the smoggies kinnear does this .. back to the keegan formation that got us winning loads of games last season .. only change is guttierez (who is alot better than milner) helping supply the strikers and defending better .. pure quality IMO.

• workyticket

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Off topic I know but Ed, this site has gone WAY too far with the adverts!
    I tried to open this page today and I got a noise like a machine gun with all the ads loading, then I got redirected, then I was asked if I wanted to load some spyware, then the page froze completely and it took me over a minute of Ctrl/Alt/Deleting to get rid of it!
    I know that you have to make a bit of money to keep the site going but there are now so many that your site isn’t functioning properly and trying to load applets on our computers is a real no-no.

• Carefree charles

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM

What nonsense. You went to Stamform Bridge to defend.

No one wins titles or trophies by defending at every game. Its from performances like that that I advocate getting no points for a 0-0 draw.

Disgrace to good football.

• Stardust

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Workyticket – Im getting that error often trying to load in now too.

• geordieinjockland (Ross)

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Carefree charles-if you dont have any real chance of winning the game, you suggest teams play to lose?
    No chelse fan can be on their high horse just because scolari has got them playing some attractive football recently, they’ve baught success and in recent seasons the football hasnt exactly been eye catching.

• Ed Harrison

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Carefree Charles – oh don’t spoil it for us – we’re basking in the glory of a draw. 😀
    We don’t have millions to spend on players like some other teams – who shall remain nameless – of course.

• WesToon

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:28 PM

@ Carefree charles // Nov 26, 2008 at 12:01

Mate you obviously have no clue about football

Go back to your Spud\Mackem\Manure\Chelski Blog you MUPPET!!!

P.S Mate you are a disgrace to proper football supporters

Ho’Way The Lads!!!

• sweendog

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:38 PM

workyticket .. I agree .. I’ve a virus checker that goes AWOL when I first access this site ..

• workyticket

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Aye Stardust / Sweendog, it depends which ads are rotated when you load up the page. Some of them are VERY dodgy and Ed should look into it. There’s another one that makes very annoying noises non stop as well. Don’t see that one much though.

• Shanghaitoon

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:43 PM

A game to remember would have been beating Chelsea 4-0… we didn’t!!! We came away with a 0-0 draw… yes we were good defensively and I was pleased with a draw… but I don’t want to be remebering 0-0 draws… I want to be remembering wins!!!