The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Zog To Stay And Fight For Place At Newcastle

12:39 pm, Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 59 Comments

Well it’s probably come full circle since last weekend and now Charles N’Zogbia says he wants to stay at Newcastle United.

Charles N’Zogbia - ready to fight for place on Tyneside

In Charles’ first interview since reports came out of France over the weekend that he wanted to leave St James’ Park, N’Zogbia told the Evening Chronicle today:

“In an ideal world, I would want to stay with Newcastle United.” “This is the first time I have spoken about my future and those quotes attributed to me over the weekend came from my agent back in France.”“Obviously, I am not happy that I have hardly figured in Joe Kinnear’s starting line-up recently, but that is up to me to put right.”

“This is all out of my hands, and if Newcastle want to sell me then there is nothing I can do about that.” “But don’t forget I have been at Newcastle for over four years now and I consider this my home.”

“And I now have a big French pal in Sebastien Bassong, who is doing great for us the moment.” “My immediate aim is to get into the team alongside him – starting at Middlesbrough on Saturday.”

“I have happy memories of the Riverside Stadium as I feel the goal I managed there last season – with my right foot – was one of the best I have scored for the club.”

It was a wonderful goal by Charles, and yet it was with his weaker right foot, as he cut in from the left – a terrific goal by the youngster.

And Charles talked about the story, that we thought was too silly to even publish, that he refused to go for a morning walk with his team-mates last Saturday, because he was too tired – what’s the big deal!

Charles added:

“And as far as last Saturday is concerned, I woke up at our team hotel in absolute agony with a back spasm.” “It’s something that often happens to footballers.”“I had to get the doctor to come and attend to me, and this is the only reason why I missed the pre-match walk before the Chelsea game.”

“The doctor did wonders for me and I was able to be involved against Chelsea – something I did not think possible when I woke up.”

Charles shouldn’t worry about these stories – which are generally just full of mischief, but he should do what he says, and go all out to get his starting position back at Newcastle.

He’s looked very good these last few appearances as a lively substitute, and all he needs to do is keep his head down and he’ll be just fine.

Tags: Charles N'Zogbia · Newcastle News

59 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon Olly // Nov 26, 2008 at 12:46 PM

get in. would hate to see this guy leave,start him for duffer this weekend. 3-1 the toon!:D

• 2 ELFER // Nov 26, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Maybe Zoggy reads this blog regualarly? ;-) We all love you…Maybe the internet-freak gutièrez has found this blog and has a look at it from time to time? maybe…we love to see the lads reading this, but we truly more love them to run their socks of every single matchday! ;-)

• 3 Robz // Nov 26, 2008 at 12:49 PM

zoggy! <3 Great player!

• 4 Ryan Peacock // Nov 26, 2008 at 12:53 PM

if we wants to stay great but if we got 8m for him id take it

• 5 Punk Skunk // Nov 26, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Get ya’ head down Zog & just get on with it, you can do it!..

• 6 Jon // Nov 26, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Zog for Duff anytime. Duff always plays the ball backwards.

• 7 sirjasontoon // Nov 26, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Zog is a petulant little prick.
    Done nothing for ages in my eyes 8m off to paris
    Kerching straight in Ashleys bulging sky rocket!
    Owen off to villa Kerching…..
    Given off to Spurs/arse or italia Kerching….

The tills at cashley towers will be ringing in the january sales.

• 8 toonmadtom // Nov 26, 2008 at 1:20 PM

i still think we should sell him he is to huffy and not consistant enough

• 9 seetow // Nov 26, 2008 at 1:20 PM

zoggy for 8mil? you must be having a laugh! he’s at least twice the player of milner, and “in an ideal world”, we would get more than 24mil for him. however, this world is not ideal and it is a fact martin o’neill got ripped off over milner he’s nothing above 5mil but i wouldn’t part with zoggy for less than 12mil… that said, i don’t want zoggy to leave!

• 10 tino97 // Nov 26, 2008 at 1:20 PM

I think the Zog should play. He is more dangerous than Duff. But it seems that JFK has a soft spot for Duff. He never takes him off, its always Jonas, even if he is playing well. I would like to the Zog keep his head and get into the 1st team. Hopefully he would stay there, he has a bright future. But knowing Ashley he will cash in on him.

• 11 G // Nov 26, 2008 at 1:40 PM

I would rather play Zog than Duff, he has far more pace and talent. He does sometimes go missing in games, but honestly, can we not say the same about Duff? We should be building the side around tallented young players like Zog, Bassong and Taylor (Yes, Taylor… anybody remember Tony Adams playing at this age?). Also it is nice to see Zog discredit the press comments recently. I know in the past his attitude has been questioned, however, the lad rarely comes forward and speaks so candidly to the press, and when he does it is often missquoted. I feel we should pull all the stops to keep the lad here for the future.

• 12 JP...from The Rock // Nov 26, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Lets face it Zoggy has tremendous talent. He will have to do his best in training to convince Joe Kinnear to pick him ahead of Duff. I must admit Duff this season is playing his best football for us. Even knowing this I still think Charlie should be given a starting chance to prove to JFK what he can do on the pitch. I like them both but I think we should take more care of Charlie as he is our long-term LW and he needs the experience. Ps. He is also a great crosser on the ball and does give a lot of assists to our forwards in the short time he plays for us.

Howay Charlie for being A MAN and WORKING HARD…keep it up in training and you will soon be rewarded. :)

• 13 Spyro // Nov 26, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Ecstatic with this news. I hope it is genuine. Zog said he wants to stay, JK said he wants him to stay, so if he leaves in Jan we all know who to blame don’t we?

• 14 Whumpie // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:00 PM

I think people are unfair about Duff – it’s a matter of appropriate players for different matches.

Against Chelski it was all about experience, caution and pragmatism – which is when you want someone who will pass back rather than risk giving the ball away. It may not be pretty or popular, but Duff and Butt were key components in that successful strategy on Saturday.

Against the smogs, you can afford to let rip a bit, which is when Zog is your man.

Zog does need to stop these news reports, which come every year and (I suspect) have some basis to them. Remember when he was caught texting in a team meeting? Or wandering off because he wasn’t started? Petulent French git.

Hopefully he’s grown up a bit now and realises that at any decent team he’s going to be fighting for a place – that’s the nature of the position he plays, where you have to have top-end players on the bench ready to replace tired or crocked legs. He’s had plenty of pitch time with Duff’s injuries, and it will come again.

(I also think he’d do well playing in an attacking midfield role, right down the middle. But there you go.)

• 15 JP...from The Rock // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Spyro …damn right! It’s that Fat prick Mike cAshley init!

• 16 Whumpie // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:03 PM

tino97 – good point about how JFK subs Jonas rather than Duff. Odd, in my opinion – but perhaps he knows something we don’t? Like Jonas’s legs running dry earlier than Duff’s?

Anyway, let’s take Zog’s comments today at face value and hope he gets enough turf-time to show what he’s all about.

• 17 Spyro // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Zog should be given a free role in midfield. I believe he is best when he has spae in front of him to run into and build up a head of steam.

————————–Given———————–
    Beye———-Colo—————Seb———Jose
    ——————-Guthrie——Butt—————–
    Gutierrez—————Zoggy——Duff/Martins
    ——————-Martins/Viduka——————

• 18 Spyro // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:07 PM

We should make Zoggy our very own Luka Modric in that free role position :D

• 19 John // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Zog has lots of talent but is very difficult to fit into the present team at Newcastle. I hope he does not leave because he is undoubtedly a player for the future. Trying to make him fit into the side has failed repeatedly so I think there has to be a different approach and this will require a lot of hard work from both the player and staff. I think the left wing is his best position but he needs to improve his stamina for getting up and down and his crosses need to be improved. Give him a video of Ryan Giggs!!

• 20 G // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I’m not convinced playing Zog through the centre is the best use of his talents, however, given the lack of pace and creativity through the middle it would be interesting to give it a try. As for the Luka Modric comparison, I don’t think Zog is quite that much of a mercanary.

• 21 Whumpie // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:14 PM

It’s really difficult to work out how to fit all our best attacking players onto the pitch. What a collection:

Jonas
    Zoggas
    Duff
    Viduka
    Shola (never thought I’d put him in THAT list)
    Owen
    Martins

And with our defence showing what they can do when needed, things are definitely showing promise. Top half by Christmas…

• 22 Spyro // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:15 PM

G

lol. In truth, i am fully aware that Modric is the better player, but i still feel we haven’t actually seen half of what Zoggy is capable of.

• 23 Danish_Magpie // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Beye……..Colo……Bassong……Enrique

……………………….Barton………………….
    …………Guthrie……………….N’Zogbia….

…Oba……………………………………..Jonas
    ………………………Owen……………………..

• 24 CHUCK // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:17 PM

We are all aware of the quality of the press hacks, who missinterpret, invent and in general will do anything to get a story in print.
    Charles N`Zogbia is a decent young player as good as, if not better than Milner and an asset to the team.
    I see him as part of the future of the club and he
    appears willing to stay.
    If only we had that DM to boss the midfield he
    could, combined with Duff and Jonas be a pretty effective midfield combination.
    Give him some playing time Joe !

• 25 G // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Agreed Spyro, I still say his future is LW rather than attacking midfield centre. I would be happy to push him forward at every oportunity, however, we would need Enrique to play more of a wing back to cover… I wonder if anybody has a vid of Cruyft’s total football holland they can show Joe?

• 26 Spyro // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Danish_Mag

Both those squads are decent imo. I just want to find a space for Zog. He didn’t deserve to be dropped when he did He was our best and most hardworking player earlier this season.

• 27 AndrewNUFC // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Can’t blame him saying he isnt happy, Kinnear obv prefes Duff and he just wants Zog for back up. IMO Zog is way better than Duff, Duff can only run thats it Zog has much more to his game.

• 28 JP...from The Rock // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:34 PM

We desperately need an Attacking Midfielder for some creativity. Zog’s time will come soon enough (possibly this saturday). What we should do is bring in a strong AM that can hold the ball, find and make a pass that others see impossible (or don’t see at all) and he has tohave pace and a slight eye for goal. I know it seems like a lot to ask but there are loads of quality players with all those attributes that aren’t happy in their clubs or would relish a challenge in the EPL. Maybe a youngster from anothre country will be the chosen one but that has to be our main priority come January, an AM and a LB and possibly a RM for cover-but Duff can cover there if we sell Geremi.

• 29 gimps // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:40 PM

gotta keep the likes of the zog, much more effective than Duff , more of an impact player, more skill and not afraid to run at players.

• 30 MDS // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Close Danish_Magpie, my 4-4-2 would be:

………………….Given………………….

Beye….Colo….Bassong….Enrique

…………..Guthrie…Barton………..
    Jonas……………………………Zoggy

…………….Oba……..Owen…………..

Butt and Duff can come on for Zog and Guthrie if we get a nice lead

• 31 JP...from The Rock // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Yeahh Duff does alright but Zoggy aint afraid of bombing forward and taking defenders on. Sadly I can’t say the same as Duff. He used to do it in his Blackburn / Chelsea days but he has been a shadow of his former self since he joined us. Although like I said before Duff has really impressed this season and is finding some confidence to sometimes go for it like the old days and take players on. He seems to look for the easy option most of the time or simply pass it back (which is very annoying!), but at times more this season than ever before for us I have seen him bomb forward without a worry in the world and HE DOES AND CAN TAKE DEFENDERS ON WHEN HE WANTS TO. The sad thing is he doesn’t have the self-belief to do it constantly. On the other hand we have Zoggy who is young, loads of potential and eager to take defenders on. The worry with N’Zogbia is that he tends to go missing in matches and his positioning sometimes lets thw whole team down as he is often caught out.

• 32 Boater // Nov 26, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Danish Magpie and MDS – I think Spyro’s team selection was for THIS saturday hence no Barton…

Anyway the 11 to go with is…

Given
    Beye/Colo/Bassong/Enrique
    Guti/Guthrie/Butt/Zog
    Martins/Owen

Personally I would play 3 up front (Duke or Shola) and play only one from guthrie or butt but let’s face it JK aint gonna do that.

• 33 THE BEAT. // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:00 PM

surely nzogbia should be in the team before duff?

• 34 Boater // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Newsflash…. we have 1 goal from a midfielder this season from open play (Duff at everton). Is this not a worry to you guys?… when you remember the likes of Lee, Speed, Solano, Dyer, Jenas, Robert, Peacock, Beardo… hell even Acuna, Ambrose, Gillespie, Clark… all chipped in with the odd goal…

We have dedicated non-scorers in Butt, Guti and Guthrie… Duff looks incapable of doing anything other holding up the ball… we need Zog in – he is the best natural finisher from midfield when he’s on a run in the side.

• 35 Boater // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:07 PM

By the way – I meant in the league – 1 goal from a midfielder in 14 games….

• 36 G // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Good pont Boater, we could deffo do with a young Rob Lee.

• 37 G // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:19 PM

point even… doh!

• 38 Toon_Ksk // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I hope he is not privately sulking. I don’t trust french players completely. Problem is their attitude and values.

• 39 G // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:26 PM

I have to say Toon_Ksk that I share similar beliefs, as we haven’t had much luck from our Galic friends in the past. Moments of greatness from Ginola / Robert followed by lack of commitment and tempremental personas seem to be built in. The only frenchman we have had who was 100% commited wasnt very good (Charvet) and the best performer got homesick and wanted a transfer (Dumas). Although the oportunity to use Mr Clarkson’s ‘French Surrender Monkey’ phrase is always a bonus!

• 40 Boater // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Toon KSK…. good to see some Alf Garnett style 1970’s xenophobia towards the French still continues… you’re right not to trust the French – have you seen Allo Allo? Crooked and mysterious I say. And then there’s the bleedin Germans – don’t get me started on those Germans neever.

• 41 JP...from The Rock // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:30 PM

That’s absolutely right Boater. We desperately need more attack minded players in the centre of the pitch. Strong, quick players with an eye for goal. Is that too hard to find???? …it looks like it b’cuz we’ve never had a genuine AM that scores goals for AGES. Maybe Barton can be that guy for us. I believe he is really capable of scoring goals for us as he went close in many occasions before his untimely injury. Although we do need more players of that sort.
    MANY MORE.

• 42 Boater // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:32 PM

In the interest of anglo-french relations… what about Bernard, Sibierski, Goma? Not much wrong with their commitment whilst at the club.

• 43 UTD111 // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:32 PM

I’ve got to go to me mate’s wedding in London on the day of the Stoke game so won’t be able to get to the match.
    If Wise turns up, can somebody bend down and thump him for me please?
    Cheers

• 44 lesh // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:36 PM

He’s bound to say he wants to stay especially as if he asks for or agitates for a transfer, then he doesn’t get a slice of the fee.

However, if he makes the right loyal noises and he goes, then he’ll get a slice of the wadge – enough for a couple of backache pills and a comfy bed!

• 45 Boater // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:37 PM

JP – I agree although did Barton really go close? I had a feeling after every recent shot that they were window-dressing shots. Scoring is a funny old business you either do or you don’t. We need a Solano or a Speed desperately – someone to compliment the goals tally… let’s face it if Barton and Duff had finished chance recently we would be 9 points the better off… the strikers are all scoring a couple now.

• 46 It Could Be Worse, We Could Be Spurs! (DC) // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Love watching the maturation of Zog. He can still go on to be an absolute legendary player for the Toon.

For me he starts every time in front of Duff but then again I’m not Irish. Glad to hear the arrival of Seb has settled him.

Bring on the smoggies

• 47 Boater // Nov 26, 2008 at 3:41 PM

even Allardyce – the high priest of dull negative football – identified our lack of goals from midfield… so he went and sold dyer and nobby… hmmm anyways he was right. I would have a crack at nicking K richardson off the scum… give the lad a hose down and get him in the middle of the park for us… that kind of player anyways.

• 48 G // Nov 26, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Well Boater, to be honest I completely forgot about Sibierski, an oversight on my part. Goma was spitting his dummy at the end wanting to move to the Capital, also his attitude in training was very poor by all accounts. As for Bernard, he did give us some class service, but then agreed to sign for WHU behind the clubs back… another mercenary.

• 49 Stephen // Nov 26, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Why do most ppl have barton in there teams

aint he out for 8 weeks or am i missing something here

• 50 JP...from The Rock // Nov 26, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Sibierski was a life-saver I would re-sign him if I had the chance :P

• 51 Boater // Nov 26, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Stephen – he is out for 8 weeks.. people are doing their barmy ideal sides… by the time Barton is back Owen will be playing for City and Viduka will be back on the treatment table so it’ll never happen anyway.

• 52 Punk Skunk // Nov 26, 2008 at 4:36 PM

G,
    i think it was homer simpson that coined that phraze, not clarkson!..
    :D

…Enrique is fine, leave him be!..

• 53 THE BEAT. // Nov 26, 2008 at 4:38 PM

utd 11,i dont think it,s humanly possible to bend that far down.

• 54 Boater // Nov 26, 2008 at 4:41 PM

OK G – you are right about the way those players hoofed off, but as playing staff they were committed is all I’m saying. My point really is that what do you want from Zog as a sign of loyalty? We jump on players like dyer and zog too easily… a text to a mate and suddenly he’s a judas figure for all time. The boy wants to play… good! I’m glad he aint sitting there contented on the bench… short of getting a Denise Walsh tattoo on his forehead what more do you want… chest beating antics like Taylor perhaps?

• 55 Leo // Nov 26, 2008 at 5:32 PM

the doctor didnt do wonders with him because the doctor didnt do anything lol.

i know from a friend of a friend that

• 56 The Entertainers // Nov 26, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Its nice to hear Zog saying positive things rather than getting the hump!

Quality player, would love him to stay, but only if happy!

• 57 Tom_Toon // Nov 26, 2008 at 7:03 PM

• 58 AndrewNUFC // Nov 26, 2008 at 7:34 PM

He’s fast! He’s quick! He’s got a massive dick Charles N’zogbia…Charles N’zogbia!

• 59 iain // Nov 26, 2008 at 8:29 PM

if i was zog watching enrique and duff play the way they are and was stuck on the bench i would want to leave, becuase you would doubt the manager had any faith in you at all.

have we forgotten hes been our most productive mf player for the last few seasons.

previous post: Sylvain Distin Targeted By Kinnear For January