Shearer Has No Worries About Newcastle This Season

Alan Shearer seems to have no worries that Newcastle will do better than just OK this season, in the Premier League.

Alan Shearer – no worries about Newcastle United

Shearer talked to the Evening Chronicle today about the important game at Middlesbrough on Saturday:

“I honestly believe United can beat Boro on Saturday,” “And I’m certain they won’t go down.”

“I watched the match at Chelsea live in the Match of the Day studios and Newcastle were fabulous. Defensively they got everything right.”

“Of course they were never going to win that game. They got what they wanted. But they’ll attack Boro more, not play 10 men behind the ball. Boro aren’t as good as Chelsea.”

“With due respect, they don’t have players like Nicolas Anelka, Joe Cole and Frank Lampard to run at teams.”  “Boro missed a barrow-load of chances against Bolton and their confidence won’t be the best.”

Shearer has always had unlimited confidence in Michael Owen and he again is backing Michael to get back on the goals trail, now he is fully recovered from his recent groin strain.

Alan continued:

“Michael will always score goals,” “The secret of a natural finisher is that he’ll always go back, make the right runs.”

“A top striker is never afraid to miss because you know you can’t score every time but that given a couple of chances you’ll tuck one away.”

“I thought Michael’s performance when he came on against Wigan was typical of him and all finishers.”

“He missed one good chance close in and then buried another.”

Shearer has been really surprised at what’s happened in the Premier league this season, as he continued:

“It really is incredible,” “Last weekend not one of the top 10 teams won and not one of the top five scored a goal, which is a Premier League record.

“The top three are streets ahead of anyone else. Arsenal cannot be seen like that any more, but it’s dog eat dog with the rest.”

“Newcastle are certainly not one of the three worst teams in the division.” “They’ll get out of trouble. It’s just that with others winning as well it’s a bit of a struggle at the moment.”

We need a win on Saturday, all 3 points, that’s the bottom line. and probably the only thing Newcastle fans care about right now.

We’ve got to be in with more than a decent chance too, if we can play anywhere near the form of last Saturday.

• Toon-Army1902

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:34 PM

LEGEND!!

• graeme

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:38 PM

A 4-3-3 formation against the smoggies, same back four as against Chelski – they deserve it. Play Owen & Martins up front with Stroller – it wont require a 10 man defence against Boro.

A rare away win this season coming up for the mags; Boro 1 TOON 2.

• Gunnar from Iceland

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:38 PM

words of wisdom

• seetow

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:40 PM

it’s no wonder he is my idol, a true geordie legend.

• Jamie G

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:43 PM

away defeats to fulham and sunderland…similar sort of atmosphere… hopefully the boys won’t let us down again…

• BAZ

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:43 PM

PEOPLE HAVE A LOOK ON YOU TUBE AT TAYE TAIWO ! HES EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED- HOW DO WE GET THAT ACROSS TO WISE AND CO THO ? ANY IDEAS? HES LIKE A DEFENSIVE OBAFEMI ! AND HE TAKES PLAYERS ON SUPERBLY THEN SHOOTS !

• G

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Nice to know Big Al thinks we will be fine… I still wonder though, does anybody else out there have doubts about Shearer managing (hypotheicaly speaking that is) the toon, or am I just a bit of a doom-monger?

• Whumpie

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:55 PM

The fact that he’s talking so strategically about the Toon and its place this season suggests to me that he’s got something brewing with potential buyers – or even Ashley. Hope so. I don’t know if he’ll be a good manager, but I know I want to find out!

• Shearbliss

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Doom monger!

• Whumpie

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Graeme – with you on that front 3, but which 3 for the middle? Tricky one. I’d start with Jonas, Guthrie and Duff. If there are no disasters and we’re on top but not scoring, bring Zog on for Duff, and if we need to close it out, bring Butt on for Guthrie.

Nice to have these problems, ennit?

• k k forever

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:01 PM

thank you GOD for putting a few people straight about MR OWEN

• Whumpie

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Yep. Some of the anti-EMO people on here may at least listen to the one man who knows.

• BATTY

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:03 PM

shearbliss u are a discrace

• StevieA

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:05 PM

G – Shearer will either succeed or fail like anyone else but Andy Gray always seemed impressed with Shearers tactical knowledge so it wouldn’t surprise me if Shearer goes on to make a great manager with a bit of luck.

He always comes across as confident, calm and collected (most of the time) and I think he would do a good job at the right time.

It’s just a matter of time before Shearer is manager of Newcastle and I look forward to seeing what he can do. Let’s face it he can’t do any worse than the managers we have had since Bobby Robson can he?

He could be just what Newcastle need when the time is right.

• k k forever

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:07 PM

ObaMartins // Nov 27, 2008 at 13:09

To let Owen go would be Mad, the lad has had bad luck with injuries since joining Newcastle but a Fit Owen is a TOP NOTCH Goal scorer…plus it would take Tens of millions to replace him and who is out there ????
    WHUMPIE OBA MARTINS GOT I WRIGHT

• G

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:08 PM

I think the negative side to Shearer taking over the toon is inspired about the story of Shearer having a hand in the signing of Drunken Fergusson for us under Gullitt? I understand a frontman wanting a big man to head the ball down for him, but Drunken wasn’t what you would call a resounding success was he? I will be happy to eat humble pie on this one when Shearer is appointed as gaffer tho.

• JP...from The Rock!

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Damn I miss Shearer The Legend!! He was always a threat to the opposition and never went 5 games without scoring if I can remember. The guy is a true legend and rightly so. I wish he becomes manager for us and wins everything he missed out on as a player. He deserves the best after his tremendous contribution to our team. If it weren’t for him we would have been in the 1st Division ages ago. Ever since he left we haven’t had a striker with his commanding presence in the box- Tallish, strong, powerful, technically sound and dangerous on the ball. WE NEED A NEW SHEARER!! Viduka ain’t up to it and neither is Ameobi even if he is scoring goals now.

• John

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Alan Shearer a living legend and an inspiration for all “Geordies” When he finally takes the job, the city of Newcastle will come to a standstill!!

• StevieA

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Big Dunc did well for us if I remember rightly. Did everything that was asked and was one of the better target men we have had.

They were a handful for any team. I don’t get the critcism with Big Dunc he did quite well.

Injuries hampered him a bit but no worse than Viduka looking back.

• JP...from The Rock!

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Another thing- He hardly got injured for us too, shame the same can’t be said about our strikers today.

• G

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:15 PM

My problem with Drunken was that if he spent less time p**sing it up with his brother in law (John Parrott) in the Swan @ Heddon he would never have suffered so badly from the injuries. The mans joints were being shafted by drink in a manner not unlike Supermacs.

• Whumpie

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:16 PM

k k forever – yep, I agree totally with Oba’s statement. Plus, I have to ask: when has Owen ever said anything that would indicate that he’s less than committed and positive about the club?

I’m just chuffed that Wor Al has come out and said what he has about him.

• StevieA

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:21 PM

A bit of inside information then G?

Cheers!

Well if that’s the case then yeah the heavy drinking sessions would have played havoc with his joints. He did well for us though considering, only similar player nowadays is Dean Ashton but he has his injury problems too.

The one thing about Big Dunc though that he really had going for him was that he was a fantastic header of a ball. Much like Shearer only he seemed to get more power on the headers, he also scored that wonder goal against Man Utd too. Happy days!

• k k forever

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:21 PM

whumpie and me mate they wouldnt slag owen if they were in the ground the bunch ov brainless fcks

• k k forever

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:23 PM

whumpie your rite i wud put him in my top 3 for commitment mate

• Ralphy B

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:45 PM

G, I want to know how anyone out there thinks this guy isnt the one and only possible saviour for this football club. How are the credentials of players of his generation any better? Southgate, Hughes, Keane, Adams, Zola and Ince all plying their trade with considerable success. Is it coincidence that are highest finish in recent years was when Shearer was helping out Roeder as manager? The only person who could 1. Keep Micky Owen at the club and 2.attract the callibre of player we need to St James is big Al. Fact. The sooner these clowns running our club sort their game out and new owners bring in Al the better.

• G

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Ralphy B, I’m not saying he will fail as a manager, I am saying I have my doubts, in the same way I will have my doubts over anybody regardless who, taking over my team with no managerial experience. I really hope that when he does come, as I agree that it isnt a case of if but when, he proves himself to be one of the best, it would just be a shame to see a man of his undoubted charecter and committment fail.

• G

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Oh, and Stevie A, I used to drink in the Swan myself and he was always there with Parrott and thier wives (or mistresses, whatever they were!).

• Born Again Geordie

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Shearer – complete and utter legend, great to hear him getting behind the lads and backing MO!

Ho’way the lads -lets stuff the smoggies !

• G

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Incidentaly, Stevie A. You mention Drunkens heading ability, I often argue with a good mate of mine as to the best header of the ball ever to grace a toon top is, he always insists Drunken, but I believe without a doubt Sir Les was a better header (Indeed an average striker with his feet but head and shoulders better than others with the bonce). What do you make of the comparison?

• Ralphy B

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Well lets face it, he cant do a whole lot worse than what we have had in recent years! I would love to see Shearer, backed up by Rob Lee and a younger management set up who are black and white through and through. To an extent it would not really matter who owned the club with that setup. As long as we had some reasonable funding, Shearer would have a pull that we have lacked since Uncle Bob was about. Perhaps most importantly he would have every single player playing for their shirt.

• craig chisholm

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:10 PM

i think shearer is a bit to laid back in his statement that we will be ok this eeason, what is wor al judging us on then to come to htis conclusion? we are in the relegation zone and we are coming into december already. january is round the corner and i fear that january will be a very bad month for us geordies. mostly cos owen will no longer be our player. i honestly just dont know if we will stay up or not, its going to go down the the last few games, maybe even the last.

• wigaz

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Very wise words by both John & Ralphy. Listen to the man he knows what he’s talking about! i cannot understand why people dont want to see him as gaffer? he is an absolute legend & One of our own! He would give not just the club a huge lift but the city as well! could you imagine how intimidated teams would be with a full SJP singing ALAN SHEARER’S BLACK & WHITE ARMY! at the top of our voices. I for one hope something is in the pipe line coz he would take us back to where we belong & would attract top class players to the club fo sure! Al for Boss all the way!

• Ryan Peacock

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:18 PM

shearer=god

• BT9MAG

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:21 PM

get gary speed n nobby back aswell!

• Shearbliss

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Nice to hear from the legend wish you hung up the boots a little later we need you, but some of you are talking uteer nonsense about MO. MO does not attract good players to join NUFC. If he has would we have the squad we have now? It should be the great city, fans, and club that attracts the great players to NUFC! (or maybe the manager or DOF)

• wigaz

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:30 PM

I dont konw how to add this on but on youtube type in stand up if you love shearer in & there’s a vid that would show the type of atmosphere we’d expect if he was boss! fantastic!

• StevieA

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:45 PM

G – I believe you then with regards to Drunken. Sounds like you had some first hand experience there.

I have always thought of Big Les being the best header of the football, maybe even better than Shearer. Les had such a great leap on him, he was quite a big unit but very fit too. I wouldn’t say he was average with his feet, he didn’t need many chances at all and his best asset was 1 on 1 when he used to pound it into the bottom corner when running at pace at the goalie.

Big Dunc was a great target man and I still think one of the better headers of the ball I have see (especially when the ball is played up to him). However Les was much better all round and a better finisher with both feet and head.

Sibierski was pretty good at heading the ball and was apparently awesome in training but just never turned that into league form. Although he did well in patches.

We definitely need another mobile big target man now that’s for sure!

• Desmond - DesmondBlog.com

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:50 PM

I still think Shearer needs some experience before managing NUFC.

Keane did a great job with Sunderland because he got the cash to buy and loan players like Cisse, Diouf, Malbranque, Ferdinand and McCartney.

Meanwhile, Gareth Southgate nearly slumps during his first season and got a bit of luck with the existing players from McLaren’s reign such as Downing and Wheater. With some cash, he manages to brought in Alves and Mido.

Look at it this way, imagine our owner (could be MA or not) is not willing to splash money. I don’t think Shearer will do anything good without cash.

Plus, we have an imbalance team for sure.