Middlebrough vs Newcastle – Match Preview

Tomorrow is an important game for Newcastle, since it’s now 3 full games since we recorded our last win, in probably our best display of the season, when we defeated Aston Villa 2-0 at St. James’ Park on 3rd November.

Since then we’ve been beaten in a winnable game at Fulham and could only draw against fellow strugglers Wigan Athletic at home. And then last week in a game we didn’t expect to get anything out of, we gave our best defensive performance at Chelsea to record a 0-0 draw, and gain a valuable point.

So the last few games have hardly gone with any form, but Newcastle must get back on the winning track tomorrow, in a game the club should be able to win against Middlesbrough, although it will certainly not be easy.

One difficulty with Middlesbrough is you never know which team is going to turn up, and while they’ve given some sturdy and good displays this season, at other times, like against Bolton last week at home, they haven’t looked so good.

For Newcastle there are several keys to winning the game:

• Go all out on attack form the start tomorrow. We have proved we have good attacking players in Owen, Gutierrez, Martins and Zog, and if we can attack Middlesbrough from the start we may be able to get ahead early in the game, which will give the lads that extra confidence. We should do this for every game we think we can win, home or away, which should be most of them.
  • We need our defense to start putting in more consistent performances, and we expect the same back four to be given another outing tomorrow, and if they can play anywhere near their great form of last week, we should be able to hold Middlesbrough.
  • We’ll need Guthrie and Butt to be at their best tomorrow, so we can grab hold of central midfield, from which we can start our attacks, And tomorrow we’ll look for the lads attacking together and defending together. Their defensive performance as a team last week was just great to watch, and now we need the same thing on attack tomorrow, with Beye and Enrique attacking when they can down the wings.

We expect the defense to be unchanged from last week but both Ameobi and Duff are unavailable through injury, so we expect the line-up to be as follows:

Given
Beye Coloccini Bassong Enrique
Gurtierrez Butt Guthrie N’Zogbia
Owen (c) Martins
Subs: Harper Taylor Cacapa Geremi LuaLua Viduka Carroll

A win tomorrow will see us handily placed in the league, after such a terrible start when we lost 5 games in a row after Kevin Keegan had resigned from the manager position.

We have slowly clawed our way back since then, with 10 points from 8 league games, but we are still precariously placed at third from bottom.

However, on the positive side we are also just 5 points behind Everton, who are in 7th place, and so a place in Europe next season is certainly not beyond us, even now.    😀

A win tomorrow will be very nice, thanks very much.

Howay The Lads!

• cause I got the girth

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:29 PM

the league is mental isnt it, so little points between so may teams!

• Toon Olly

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:39 PM

ive lost count of the amount of times ive sed this over the last couple of months, but tomoro is a must-win…
    (just like sunderland, fulham and wigan were)
    😀

• Ryan Peacock

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:47 PM

my prediction:

middlesbrough 2-2 newcastle

(downing,tuncay)(owen,jonas)

• Tom_Toon

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:54 PM

1-1 or 2-2 tomorrow.

Good result as long as we follow up with a win v Stoke.

Ed, I agree with your line-up although I’d have Ranger for Carroll and Kadar for Cacapa.

• Dan13

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:02 PM

My first away matttccccchhhhhhh:D

• Spyro

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:09 PM

No reason why we can’t win tomorrow. However, i would be more than satisfied with a draw. we need to keep ou runbeaten run going.

Like most, i predict 2-2, with Owen scoring both.

• Ausgeordie

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:13 PM

I’d agree Tom but we if giving Capaca a bench spot keeps his value from dropping below a million I say give it to him. If any back comes off taylor will go on so there is little chance of him being used anyway

• sweendog

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Prediction for tommorrow .. loads of smog 🙂

• sweendog

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:41 PM

with sunny intervals .. and of course Owen to Nick it 1-0

• Ally

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:41 PM

There is no reason at all we shud not go down the road and return with with all 3 points

where not going to The Emirates or Old Trafford, these are the away that we shud target for maximum points

and i fully expect us to get them, NO Excuses

• sweendog

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Ausgeordie .. Cacapa .. you must be MMAAAADDD .. bench him at the very least..

• selly no skill

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:45 PM

looks like the right team to start with ed.when you look at the pace of them two plus the wingers we should be really good away ,counter attacking.maybe we should learn to do that.we were great under robson at that,under the cosh and then bang,dyer,solano or bellamy would be up the other end in a flash.no point letting their defence sit deep and us having the ball if we pump it in there we have no height.counter attack

• Turkish Magpie

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:53 PM

MFC 1-2- NUFC

Tuncay (39) Martins (4) Viduka (91)

something like that will do nicely

• Ganiyu

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:17 PM

The highest we can concede is one but my question is how many goals can we score

• cc

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:24 PM

2-0 the m0ra lads

• Ganiyu

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Im hoping for a draw but joe would get some extra cash tomorrow.thats my prediction

• O'Hurley

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:31 PM

I think tomorrow might be a good day, lads. I don’t know why, but I get the feeling that tomorrow might be a nice little watershed. Maybe we’ll beat the sh*te outta mfc tomorrow. mfc 0- nufc 3. Fingers crossed, like. what’s everyone’s feelings about a 4-3-3 tomorrow?

————Given————-
    Beye–Bass—Colo–Enrique
    Jonas—–Butt——N’Zogbia
    ——-Owen—-Martins—–

subs: Harper, Taylor, Cacapa, Geremi, Guthrie, Viduka, Ranger (c’mon let’s put ’em in!!)

• O'Hurley

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:32 PM

Damn, I’m a retard… put Viduka in as the CF. Ha, I only put 10 guys on the field…

• BATTY

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:47 PM

OHURLY UR RITE U ARE IF YOU THINK WE GONA WIN TOMMOZ

• BATTY

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:55 PM

M OWEN SHOULD LEAVE BECAUSE HE NEEDS TO FIND A CLUB AND FANS THAT APPRECIATES HIM HE DESERVES BETTER THAN SOME OV THE SHITE FANS ON HERE ONLY SOME MIND YOU YOUR A UTTER DESCRACE U ARE PLASTIC SUPPORTERS HE GOES WE GO DOWN

• Mac

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Batty f**k off

• Tom Mo.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:02 PM

We will win, 3-1 tomorrow.

Owen, Martins, N’Zogbia to score.

• BATTY

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:04 PM

WHY DONT YOU MACKEM

• Ganiyu

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:06 PM

I believe we can do very well and build our own big name without owen.imo owen is not needed

• Mac

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:06 PM

God u are boring. I knew u were going to say something like that.

• BATTY

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:08 PM

MAC NO NEED TO CALL ME GOD

• Spyro

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:08 PM

BATTY

I am always sceptical when new names pop up, and this is no exception. Do one you sad act.

• k k forever

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:10 PM

i think it will be 2 1 tommorow and pss off batty

• Ganiyu

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Goal prediction either danny or butt,colo or bassong,viduka owen or martin.1-2

• O'Hurley

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Tom Mo-

I sure do hope Zog scores tomorrow. The lad needs a few, right! I’m still waiting to see jonas score one so he’ll break out the mask!! God, I wonder if he still has it…

• k k forever

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:15 PM

ganiyu thats what i think 1 2 not 2 1

• Ganiyu

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:15 PM

I see ZOG as an assist for martins

• Ganiyu

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:20 PM

If some one calls me Ganiyem its means sunderland.then what is the right spelling for Ganiyu if i was a spur fan

• Tom Mo.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:22 PM

O’Hurley,

hahah yeah man I mean I was in agreement to bench Zogs but now I realize how much we could use him down the wing after watching Enrique give balls away. Hope Zog can get one. And yeah Ive been waiting for the mask to come out for ages.

• nufc through and through

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:25 PM

BATTY: You gonna be at the match tomorrow mate or be like the rest of the smoggie’s and claim they are on protest but really do not support your team?

I am gonna be there. Supporting my team. And will enjoy looking at the empty spaces in the smoggie end. You claim we are plastic supporters. Why don’t you fans employ some so called plastic supporters and you might just fill your stadium once in a while.

• nufc through and through

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Almost forgot. I think it will be tough but we could nick it with 2-1. I hope jonas scores too. I think all football fans in the UK are waiting to see the spiderman mask come out.

• Spyro

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Can’t wait to see Zog in action tomorrow. He and Gutierrez have got blinding pace and defend better than boro’s wingers. We should win the battle of the wings.

• Andy Boy

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Great performance & 3 points coming from the best 11 tomorrow!

• Andy Boy

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:46 PM

By the way, I’m jealous of you lot traveling to the match tomorrow!

• TonyGreenSupreme

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:50 PM

I never predict the result when we play as history shows how inconsistant we are.
    In relation to MO i am amazed that some folk on this blog want to see him leave, it will be relegation suicide to sell him in January. Who else is going to score the goals, err Ameobi (not),
    Martins (not), he is a quality striker who we currently have on the books. The onus is on lardy arse Ashley to see sense and sign Michael up.
    I struggle to believe the optimisim on this site that come January we will be vying to sign the likes of Arshavin, Defoe and Cahill, FFS get a life wake up and smell the coffee.
    The dwarf will have the final say on who we buy and not FJK – expect loan deals and cheap foreigners as Lardy will not splash the cash.
    I refuse to believe anything that FJK says, when he arrived he said that a takeover was iminent and that KK was parked up around the corner, then last week he starts talking about possible transfer targets…..Utter crap.
    Ashley et al are taking the P… out of you all.
    I have seen all of this before having attended my first match in 1972, I sense RELEGATION.
    BE WARNED………………………………………