Colloccini Learning Queen’s English – “Why Aye Man”

The Newcastle Journal’s Mark Douglas is reporting today that Fabricio Coloccini (what a name!) emerged from a side room at Newcastle United’s Darsley Park training ground with an English text book in his hand, and full of apologies for the language class that had just ran over.

It also turns out he needs to ask Jonas Gutierrez what Joe’s swear words mean, but reports suggest he’s learning fast.

Fabricio Coloccini – an hour a day learning English
Doesn’t always understand Joe’s swear words – but he’s learning – fast
😀

A smiling Fabricio told Mark:

“I have just been having an English lesson, I have been taking them for a few weeks,” “Today I was studying verbs – to read, to speak, to play. It is hard work but good – I do an hour a day.”

“I have to ask Jonas (Gutierrez) or Nacho Gonzalez sometimes to help me when the manager uses swear words because I don’t understand and the manager speaks quickly. But I hope to get better fast.”

Apparently he’s been learning phrases like “you’re ball”, “kick it out”, get rid of it”, “offside ref” and the like.   😀

Fabricio has his friend Jonas Gutierrez with him who currently helps Fabricio as his English interpreter. But Mark indicates that Fabricio did very well with his very first interview in English.

Coloccini explained:

“I like English football very much, it’s very strong and fun, very entertaining. Ambitions for Newcastle this season? I think the first thing is to stay in this league because Newcastle is a big club,”

“I like this city – I have been around and been to places to visit. I visited the beach and the Blue Reef aquarium at Tynemouth with my wife and children. And I went with my family to the castle in the Harry Potter film (Alnwick Castle) which my children enjoyed.”

“We watched the Harry Potter films when we were living in Spain, the films were in Spanish. My daughter is just five and son is two. My daughter goes to school in Newcastle and she is learning English.”

“When he grows older my son will speak more English than Spanish. He will speak it with a Geordie accent, I think. Maybe he will say ‘Whey aye man’ like our fans do.”

Coloccini also knows former Argentine Under-20s team-mate Julio Arca, a Middlesbrough player now having spent time at Sunderland, so Julio knows the north-east very well.

Fabricio continued:

“I know Julio very well, he is my friend. We played together for Argentina Under-20s and for Argentinos Juniors,”

“When I first arrived at Newcastle he showed me the city, places to eat and helped me when I was buying a car. He was a good guide and showed me where the best Italian restaurants were in Newcastle.”

“He was in the year ahead of me at Argentinos but I played with him and saw him all of the time. Julio is a very good player. He’s played in England for eight years at Sunderland and now Middlesbrough – to be here for eight years shows he must be a good player.”

“I am surprised that Julio has not played for Argentina but it’s very difficult for him because our national team is full of top-level players.”

“Maybe now Maradona is in charge he has a chance – new manager, new players so everyone has a chance. I spoke to Julio yesterday and we agreed to swap shirts after the game. Maybe we’ll go for a meal – depends on the score!”

Fabricio seems like a great guy and he has played very solidly for Newcastle this season, and was just terrific with young Seb Bassong last Saturday at Chelsea. He does have the small habit of making a mistake now and then, but we trust he will correct that as he gets more used to English football, which seems to be to his liking.

But at £10M, he’s been a great buy for the club.

What do you think?

Comments very welcome.

• Turkish Magpie

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:10 AM

that proves we dont have to pay like 20mil for a class player

• macn0ble(Finland)

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Terrific player, fast, good on tackles, good vision, good with ball and of course a humble character. I think that he has shown already that he is worth 10 mil and will get even better. May I remind you that this is his first season in EPL and he’s only 26!!

• Turkish Magpie

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:12 AM

i saw him in the blue reef!

and i was in my NUFC shirt

but he was surrounded by bodyguards and press

so i never met him 🙁

• Ryan Peacock

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:17 AM

best defender weve had since woodgate

coloccini and jonas are world class

• dougnufc

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:22 AM

He looks like a great person, and that is what makes me like about him 🙂

• AndrewNUFC

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Class interview 🙂

• TOON LAD

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:28 AM

I HEARD SOMETHING ABOUT THE MATCH BEING CANCELED. IS IT?

• Shola Ameobi

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Collo was a cracking signing. I think alot of his mistakes have come via communication breakdowns with Taylor. He can also be abit weak in the air when hes being challenged, but in terms of tackling hes top 3 in the PL imo. I litterally dont remember him putting a foot in and not winning the ball since hes been here.

• wilko

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Collo just oozes charisma and class, this interview confirms that, love the fact he’s a family man. My 4 year old still calls him LED ZEPPELIN.

What defender he’s turning out to be , areal leader and probably a future captain, once he commands English language

• selly no skill

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:44 AM

i bet keegan had never heard of him.

• steve

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Colo has gotten better and better, you see it more at the actual game than on TV as he’s started to control the back four i.e. moving them out after free kicks etc.
    Think he’s gonna be class if we keep him

• xfer

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Nice interview!

Well, he is definately a class player, but where consistency is concern, he needs to work on that. I dont want to be too hard on him, because I know it is very difficult to adapt so quickly, especially with only this many games has pass.

• beyethegreat

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:06 PM

world class players we have

col
    given
    jonas
    owen
    viduka(when fit)

i am not sure as to whetther ishould put beye martins and basong i n the world class group

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Depends what we mean by “world class”. I was talking to a Manure fan the other day who reckoned Rio Donkey Ferdinand was “world class”. I haven’t stopped laughing since…..

• Shot Bru!

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Quality cb who reads the game well and could form a great partnership with Bassong.

• BT9MAG

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:06 PM

utd11 I’d have Rio at Newcastle without too much of an argument…

I’d say Beye and Martins could fit into that group – but too early for Bassong, we’ve only seen him play 10 games or so!

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:36 PM

I’d rather have Vidic than Ferdinand – I believe Colloccini is a better player than Ferdinand. Personal opinion!

• Toon Olly

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:59 PM

ferdinand is world class…easily one of the best centre backs in the world. id rather have vidic in my team as well…but i dont see whats funny about a manure fan reckoning that, even if he is a bit of a donkey

• Toon Olly

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM

as for world class players we have,
    given
    colo
    owen
    maybe jonas…but nt quite yet
    barton and bassong have the potential.

• Sav

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Go Titus! Wigan 0 WBrom 1

• Toon_al

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Nice to see he obviously sees his future here.

he was really loyal to depor, now he says he sees his kids havin geordie accents.

and he’s mint

• Heavy hitters

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Happy with Bassong at CB but I’m pretty sure Taylor will be back soon, I hope I’m wrong. Colo will be excellent alongside Bassong, he looks like he has two jobs to do alongside Taylor, CB and a sweeper for Taylor’s positional errors and mistakes. Beye – Colo – Bassong – new LB, would give me a lot more confidence