Joe Kinnear Geared For Success At Newcastle

Joe Kinnear seems to have had some success with his talks with current owner Mike Ashley in recent weeks, and it seems the mistakes Mike made when Kevin Keegan was manager, he seems willing to change, with straight shooter, Joe Kinnear now installed as manager.

Mike Ashley – made big mistakes after Chris Mort left

Kinnear, whose side faces a difficult derby trip to Middlesbrough today, talked yesterday to the Evening Chronicle and talked willingly about his top priority in the next few weeks – signing captain Michael Owen to a new contract:

Joe said:

“We have got to sit down with Michael now and actually find out how he feels about the situation.

“At the moment, he is being very receptive. I believe he likes it here, to be honest. “That’s my personal opinion, but until I actually hear it from Michael, I don’t know. “

“But I sincerely hope I am in a position to keep him, for sure, because I wouldn’t want to lose him.”

Today’s move has given Keith Harris, Chairman of Seymour Pierce Bank, who are charged with selling the club, some relief, and Kinnear admits he has sensed a new determination in owner Mike Ashley to address and fix the problems which have had the club in absolute turmoil, since Kevin Keegan walked out in early September.

At that time it was reported that players were brought to the club without Kevin’s knowledge – not good.

Kinnear continued:

“He [Ashley] is very keen to get on an even keel, and the only way we can do that is to start getting results. “

“It’s about bringing Michael down and looking at the situation and him saying, ‘I am prepared to back the club again’ as he has done in the past. “

“Hopefully, I can forge a future friendship with him.”

Joe seems to have a good relationship with Ashley, and that’s hardly surprising since Mike has given Joe the opportunity of a lifetime, in taking over a club that Joe knows very clearly is a great club.

Newcastle still has a tremendous history, and of course a terrific support base, that’s just second to none.

It’s all set for Joe now to be successful – but results are everything in this game, and that’s what Joe needs from now, until the end of the season.

We will back Joe and the players 100%, because we want our club to do well – it’s that simple – and we are less than interested in all the politics of the Newcastle ownership right now, since the last three months of turmoil has made our head hurt.    🙁

Comments very welcome, but please keep them decent – many thanks.

• Partizan

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Ed……..Got that right mate,i became addictive to Aspirin 🙂

• wilko

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I think the first steps towards setting some stability have been taken. It seems people are acting more maturely and in the interests of NUFC. It seems the tone of noises coming out are that, yes, mistakes have been made but thing CAN be put right. It needs all the sides to come together and sing from the same hymn sheet, the board, supporters, the team etc , then we can start to build real stability and get some success, NUFC would be a much more attractive buying option with stability and success behind it, who wants to buy a ship with one or 2 holes in it ??

• BATTY

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:26 PM

WILKO OK SO ARE U GOING AGREE WITH ME THAT FAT ASH AND CO ARE COMPLETE SHITE BAGS AND WE WILL BE PLAYING CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL NEXT SEASON

• Turkish Magpie

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Viduka will score today

• Wallsend Will

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Good comments. Keeping all our players, and being able to add the three or four additional players that Joe wants in January will go a long way to perhaps forgiving Ashley? But not Dennis Wise I’m afraid. Still it’s results that count starting today against Middlesbrough.

• geordie till i die !

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:55 PM

4 months too l8 but there is still scope for a good season yet.

• Ausgeordie

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:57 PM

hope we can get a link tonight

• Norn Iron Magpie

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:57 PM

We need stability. Still hate Fat Ashely but have to stick with him.3 points today please.Get the poisoned dwarf out. Why didnt Ashely back KK the way he seems to be backin JK?
    2-0 to the toon howay the lads

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Sir Alan has led the way – he’s told Kinnear he wants nowt to do with Ashley and his cronies but like all true geordies, he wants the team to do well. Its quite sustainable to disagree with and campaign against the cockney mafia whilst still supporting the team.
    This not the first time United fans have been at loggerheads with the people running the club. It happened with the pirate in the 60’s and later with Gordon McKeag and his cronies.

• BT9MAG

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:13 PM

A couple of things…I think we need to start thinking rather than just making similar noises!

1) Ashley made a mistake, but threatening his family is ludicrous! He hasn’t backed us financially in the way we hoped or expected and it MAY cost us our Premiership status…But look at Blackburn, high fliers last season and look at them now! To say “Ashley is a fat w@nker and we’re goin down ” is completely pointless!

2) ‘The poison dwarf’ Dennis Wise was implemented by fan and media speculation, neither the club, DW or KK have come out and said anything, so we still don’t know what his role was…What we do know is that KK didn’t have a clue who Jonas or Bassong were – and look how well they’re doing…The poison dwarf has some pretty effective poison!

3) JFK is making all the right noises, but Keegan did the same IN FACT ‘a couple of irons in the fire’ was the exact phrase Keegan used during the summer window…so let’s just wait n see eh?

• The Entertainers

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Ed i wonder what the general perspective of fans is towards forgiving Ashley?

Yes i said it, forgive Ashley !

When Ashley arrived he did a lot of things right lets not forget that. I was a big supporter of his and so were many other fans.
    Then for some reason he hit a patch when all his decisions were terrible and nearly destroyed us…..I dont use the word destroy lightly either.

However the honest and unreserved outburst towards Ashley has now past.

Times have moved on, Keegan has gone and i for one do not ever expect him to return in a professional capacity. Kinnear has arrived and has been fire fighting with some success.

Wise and Llambias have returned to SJP quietly and many fans, including myself felt they too had let the club down.

Now with a Jan’ transfer window about to open and Ashley not going to sell any time soon, all i want is for Mike to put his hand in his pocket and spend. (Remember he still has 20 million left from the summer he promised and never spent!)

If this happens and the right type of players arrive and we survive, then would forgivness be such a stretch for the fans?

Could i forgive him, honestly? Yes!
    Would i forget? Never!

Bottom line i want the best for my club and if at the moment the best is Ashley then i am now willing to accept it and forgive. After all it is the season of forgivness!

• nimo

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:17 PM

does any1 have a link to game today at all?

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Nimo – if you look on NUFC.COM theyve got a list of the stations showing the game.

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:24 PM

The Entertainers – No I will not forgive the poison dwarf for what was done to a Newcastle United hero and legend of the stature of Sir Kevin Keegan.
    I will continue to turn up at the ground and support the team – but the sooner the cockney mafia leave, the better. I will have no truck with them.

• The Entertainers

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Understandable point of view mate.

But Newcastle Uniteds future is more important than its past.

Whether we accept it or not Keegan is the past and at the moment Ashley is the present and our immediate future.

Thats a hard pill to swollow, i know. But one we may have to if we are to progress in coming months and possibley years!

• Norn Iron Magpie

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:28 PM

@ the entertainers
    Would i be willing to forgive Ashely…….. Maybe. Time will tell my friend. If we get up the league and strenghten the team in the january sales.

• The Entertainers

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Norn Iron

I think your spot on.
    Ashley needs to show us some commitment and honestly.

The Jan’ window would go a long way.

• Norn Iron Magpie

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Ashely has to know how wrong he was. He is only trying to sort it out now so he can get top dollar for our club

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM

In addition – he could strengthen his standing with the fans in one fell swoop by sacking the Dwarf.

• Stardust

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:41 PM

The Entertainers – decent post although:

I never blamed Ashley at any point. Yes mistakes were made but where – we dont honestly know (except PR has been terrible since Mort left).

In my opinion there were only 2 things that nearly destroyed the club

1. Keegan walking – wrongly in my opinion as he had all our support and could have used that to get his own way in the end anyway – plus the squad is far better than the last few season. He can no longer claim to love the fans or club. (and I worshipped the man)

2. The Mob – who continue their anti NUFC campaign to this day. To those who claim you can be against part of the club and support another are totally wrong – it destabilises and ruins the club every day with every utterance the muster. Debate is one thing – but hate another.

So the Mob and KK nearly ruined the club – although I accept the micro-fuse of the KK bomb may have been ignited by a carelessly disguarded bottle.

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Wonderful rewrite of history Stardust – pity there’s no facts in there but hey…..most works of fiction don’t contain facts lol

• Stardust

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Prey tell UTD111 – What do you KNOW Wise did wrong?

Answers on a postage stamp before you spout your bile – Fool.

You are one and the same that hung the Monkey in Hartlepool. One wiff of a rumour and your off – with or without evidence.

You need your blood – and youve chosen Wise – with or without evidence.

• Stardust

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM

UTD 111 – the facts are being played out in front of your very eyes – take it youre blind?

• Norn Iron Magpie

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Will we ever know what happened behind the scences? KK walked away to easy for my liking. We can only move forward together. Is todays team sheet out yet? We need to beat the smoggies today or the great pointed earned last week will mean nowt

• BT9MAG

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Norn Iron Magpie – no team sheet that I can find as of yet, but I think something similar to Chelsea could be expected …Where abouts are you from by the way?

• The Entertainers

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Stardust:

I agree and disagree

I have said in previous posts that Keegan and the fans played a huge part in our downfall.

But i still stick to my beliefs that Ashley, Wise and Llambias must take a share of the blame too.

Without getting into a detailed debate
    Ashley is unltimately responsible for the actions at SJP.
    Wise did not spend the 20 million Ashley has stated he put aside to spent. Which has not helped our plight.
    Llambias, well it appears he has done more harm the good. Certainly in the publics eye!

But again this is old ground and i want to look forward not back.

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Sorry Stardust – but personal attacks are not allowed in this forum.
    Your whole argument is, as I’ve said before, undermined by the fact that anyone who disagrees with you is a “fool” and part of some fictional “mob” that only exists in your head.
    Sir Alan Shearer has made it clear he wants nothing to do with the Regime running the club, whilst at the same time he wants the team to do well – FACT.
    If Sir Alan thinks its ok to support the team whilst opposing the people running the club, thats good enough for me.
    I trust Sir Alan. I trust Sir Kevin. I trust Sir Bobby. And I trust their judgement.
    I will not accept your childish personal attacks and will ignore you grow up and are capable of adult opinions.

• Norn Iron Magpie

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:58 PM

BT9 mag
    Im from Northern Ireland mate[Norn Iron]

• BATTY

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:58 PM

UTD111 YOUR A TRUE GEORDIE MATE

• Norn Iron Magpie

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:59 PM

colo and bassong at CB then.

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:59 PM

The Entertainers – in addition to the points you make about Ashley and Llambias, I think whether you agree with the cockney mafia or not, its clear that the communications and PR side of their handling of the club has been nothing short of a disaster. This has contributed to their downfall.

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM

I would hope so Batty mate – I was born in Wallsend within sight of the shipyards!!

• BT9MAG

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Aii I guessed that mate, specifically though, I’m living over in Belfast that’s all.

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Great! NI
    At present they are the best CB partnership we have.

• Norn Iron Magpie

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:03 PM

From the North West. Derry Londonderry the maiden city

• The Entertainers

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Utd 11

I couldnt agree more with you mate.

Even back when i fully supported Ashley, i always stated the communications needed to improve.

Then it got gradually worse. A lot of blame from me at least was directed at Llambias for this. Mort was a fantastic communicater and Llambias has been a disaster!

• Norn Iron Magpie

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Taylor is going to step up now and fight for his place. Good for him and the club, I know most folks on here dont like him but…..

• BT9MAG

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:08 PM

I’m studying at Queens just now and I think a good half of Derry’s population are here aswell – everyone I seem to speak to at the minute!

UTD111 – I agree with you on the communications front, and Entertainers, I also think that’s Llambias’ fault…BUT…UTD111 – stardust does make a valid point – what do we KNOW Dennis Wise has done wrong?

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Yes – I wonder how much of the fallout could have been avoided if Mort had stayed……many of the fans liked him and as you say, he communicated with us. The “Silence of the Llambias” has simply been translated by many of us as “its our club – stuff you lot”

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:15 PM

BT9
    In the absence of open statements (because of the legal action over whether KK was sacked or walked away) I think we have to examine the facts and make a judgement.
    Kevin would not have walked away lightly. I believe the problem was that Wise had more say than he did over which players left and which joined. I also believe Wise made promises to Kevin which were then broken – and which left Kevin in an untenable position.
    I’m one of the older NUFC fans who the problems with Wise when he was a player – so I know him to be a total C**T. I have no respect for him and I do not trust him.
    On the other hand, I have total respect for Kevin, he is a man of integrity and honesty and I trust him.
    So for me Wise was the problem. And Ashley backed the wrong horse there……