Kinnear In Charge Of January Transfers – Funds Available

The Newcastle Journal is reporting today that Joe Kinnear has been given assurances that he will be in complete control of the players coming and going in the January transfer window, and that Mike Ashley will even be willing to fund some transfers if the right players are available.

Joe Kinnear – in charge of all players coming and going

The fans have never been told the full story of what happened with Kevin Keegan, and whether players were indeed brought in behind his back, and we hope at some point the fans will be told the full story.

Joe said today:

“I have asked for assurances and that will not happen to me. That was one of the things I spoke about,”

“Every signing who comes in the New Year will be a Joe Kinnear signing, absolutely. No one will go without my say so either. 100%, I have cleared that at boardroom level.”

“I just said I feel it is much easier and healthier when everyone knows what their job details are and my job is to get the players that I want in to make Newcastle a lot better team than it is at present.”

“But then the board make money available and they will give the task to Dennis Wise to go and negotiate and hopefully bring the player in. I put that to the board and they were happy with it. It was a term of my taking the job. If I am going to be here until the end of the season, I have to be in total control.”

“Obviously I need help so Dennis (Wise) is in a position to chase up the players I want but I will hang my hat on those players. There ain’t going to be any mix-up about who signed them. Only me.”

So it sounds from what Joe says that players could well have been brought in behind Kevin’s back – but that will not happen under Joe, as he seems to have made that very plain. That’s a good move by Joe, and very sensible.

Mike Ashley has also apparently said he is willing to fund some transfer in January, and wants to have Michael Owen signed up by the club. That’s good business because if Newcastle finish high up in the league in May, they will be worth a lot more – so this all makes sense.

Joe continued:

I have got my conditions granted but I am quite a sensible guy as far as getting the message over to Mike. I made it quite clear it was in his interests as well and everyone would benefit from us getting stronger,”

“I would not know what price the club would be worth if it went down. It would be a massive loss I would have thought. I explained to Mike, he needs to protect the assets that he has got.”

“The only way to protect that is to invest and make sure we are not in the bottom three at end of season.”

Some good broad strategic and sensible thinking by Joe, and of course he’s absolutely right. Having Newcastle be successful again will benefit everybody, including the City of Newcastle, the fans, the manager, the players, and the Newcastle Board, that’s an absolute  certainty.

For a man who by his own admission lives eats and sleeps football, then living in Newcastle and managing the football team is the perfect job for him, because Newcastle fans live, eat and sleep Newcastle United.

But Joe will need to be very successful if he wants the job past the summer.

Kinnear, who will apparently now move to Jesmond Dene after staying in a hotel in Jesmond so far, also is keen to land the job full time, beyond the end of the campaign.

If Joe can get us into the top seven – we would expect he would have his contract extended, whoever the owners are come the summer. It should all be based on results – and that seems fine with Joe, as he continued:

“I have been given this chance so far and, touch wood, I assume that is exactly what will happen, that I will be given a chance,”

So Joe needs to start getting the team winning, and today is just a great time to start, at MIddlesbrough.     😀

Howay The Lads!

• adam

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM

makes me think why keegan didnt get the same transfer policy… muppets

• toonmadtom

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:46 AM

i dont think the club will get bought. MA is is goin to get us out of the bottom and try and get us into europe. if he gets us in to europe he wont want to sell.#

• Shola Ameobi

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Joe seems like a smart man. And if the rumors are anything to go by it looks as though hes looking to strengthen the right areas with a couple of players who id love to have on board.

If theres one thing i dont like about Joe its his use of subs. Like when where loosing to Fulham, Duff hasnt shown up for the second half at all, then he waits till 10 mins before the end and brinks Jonas off for the Zog. Which he does quite often. Id just like to subs used earlier if where loosing a winnable match and have attacking subs on the bench.

• Chris F

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:50 AM

i’m sorry, but Kinnear is Wise and Ashley’s puppet, has been from day one.

yes he’s done alright with the team on the pitch, but he hasn’t worked miracles, we’re still in the bottom 3 and we’re still playing some godawful football at times.

it’s a depressing time to be a newcastle fan, i don’t believe a single word that comes out of the club these days.

• Turkish Magpie

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:51 AM

as Ed said

it’s clever by Ashley because a european team is worth so much more than possibly a championship team!

• BATTY

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:02 AM

ADAM BECAUSE KEEGAN WASENT A YES MAN

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Of course he’s got assurances – he’s an Ashley puppet. Kinnear opens his mouth and spouts propaganda on behalf of the cockney mafia.

Not buying any of it.

• BATTY

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:03 AM

I WUDNT TRUST KINNEAR WITH ME GRANNYS PENSION

• Kris

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:04 AM

All I heard from KK in the summer was that there was money available and they’d be his signings. Can’t believe anything that comes out of the club.

It doesn’t make sense for him to ivest in the club if he still wants to sell.

Obviously never intended to sell the club from day 1.

Watch this space

• selly no skill

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:06 AM

the best thing the fans can do is support the team.whats saying if ashley manages to sell,the new owners arnt even worse.as it stands we as toon fans and the team still have a good chance of epl next year.i think if ashley spent 20 mill a year on the right players.we would be in europe within 3 yrs.

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Hey! Where’s all the Ashley bumlickers today?? Aren’t the Sports Direct offices open on a weekend LOL

• Silence of the Llambias

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Lets wait and see what happens. JK will have his wish list, but Wise will negotiate under strict instructions from Ashley. This is what I believe happened with Keegan. Ashley is in control and simply will not go the extra mile to get a player we really need, so they have fall back players to get if their brinkmanship doesnt work. e.g. Xisco etc. Its false economy. Maybe these two have learnt something now. Maybe southern Joe will get preferental treatment. We’ll see.

• selly no skill

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:12 AM

utd 11;and batty
    what are your realistic hopes for nufc in the near future,signings,manager and the sale of the club given the current economic situation.

• Ryan Peacock

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:12 AM

i think ashley realised he was mucked up and imo he wants to stay and the only way to help that is by giving kinnear BIG money, but why o why didnt he back keegan? just so annoying but we ALL need to get behind the club now and push up that table!

toon! toon!

• BATTY

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:14 AM

SELLYNOSKILL U CANT GET ANY WORSE SO CRAWL BACK UNDER UR ROCK

• GraemeR

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Why doesnt Asley, Llama and Unwise not come out and say something – we only have Jokeinheres word that there will be funds available – until Asley actually tells us whats going on its a downward spiral – ExEMO to leave in January (for a small fee) or free in summer.

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Hi Selly
    I expect Wise to cash in on some of the current squad and buy cheaper replacements (in terms of wages). Whilst the current regime digs in, the strife between the cockneys and the fans will continue.
    Provided Wise doesn’t sell too many of the present players, the current squad is good enough to stay up with Bugs Bunny in charge, never mind the Ashley puppet
    If Ashley stays, the only change in manager might be that Wise, supported by Poyet takes over for next season.

• steve

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:20 AM

@batty – turn your capslock off
    Think Spurs sacking Ramos and changing the whole setup to be an old old school manager in total charge might have had something to do with it.

Ashley is good mates with a high profile spurs fan and I’m sure he must of been telling him how it was at spuds

• BATTY

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:22 AM

UTD111 THATS WOT THEY ARE WORKING TOWARDS I SED IT THE OTHER DAY MATE

• Stardust

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:24 AM

See the Mob are out in force today – “World gonna end today folks? or just perpetual doom”

Youre one group of people the club would be better without.

• BATTY

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:26 AM

AND THATS WOT MAKE US PROPER TOON FANS ALVIN STARDUST

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Can see it happening Batty.
    I think the recession has done two things.
    First – prospective buyers don’t have the cash to meet Ashley’s demands/price
    Second – in a recession, the last thing you want is money as it gets devalued. You therefore buy “bricks and mortar” – property – which always increases in value over time.
    I think Ashley has (now?) decided that in these troubled financial waters – Newcastle United is a good property to hold onto to sell at some time in the future.

• Stardust

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:30 AM

BATTY – so loathing and complaining about everything regarding on of the things youre meant to love is being a Geordie – I dont think so.

Fool

• BATTY

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:32 AM

OK STARMIKEASHLEYDUSTS

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Looks like some of the Sports Direct people are working weekend overtime lol

• kenny g

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:38 AM

could it be that ashley et al have learned from their mistakes!!??
    We’ll soon see

• selly no skill

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:41 AM

i think thats what might happen utd 111.i hate whats happened to my club,but am at the point where i’m thinking ,how long can you slag off something that you love?for all we know ashley might be our owner for years to come.just sick of all the hatred surrounding the club .as for you batty,if you cant hold a decent conversation,your probably not welcome on this sight.how old are you.i bet about 16.

• selly no skill

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:41 AM

site

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Selly – I know what you mean, I’ve been a United supporter for more years than I care to remember. But its possible to disagree with the ownership of the club whilst still supporting the team, and hoping the ownership will change in time.
    My main problem is not with Ashley per se but the poison dwarf. He was totally the wrong person to be brought in as DOF – and in the eyes of many fans, he will never be forgiven for what happened to Sir Kevin.

• BATTY

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM

WHY SELLY COS U SED DONT THINK SO WE NOT SLAGGING THE CLUB WE SLAGGING THE OWNERS AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO STICK UP FOR THEM

• Partizan

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:47 AM

I was one of the first who started slagging MA,from the day i noticed he didn’t wanna sell Dyer only cos of that extra million he wanted i realized there….WE’RE IN TROUBLE.

But somehow i lost that hature towards Ashley,something is telling me that he’ll do the right thing cos obviously this is his last chance to make things up with the fans.
    Denis Wise…..i don’t know bout you but DW has done a good job for me,Bassong,Colo,Jonas,Ranger and even Xisco who gets a lot of stick.
    Cmon guys think about it,which striker would get into our first team just like that….unless he’s Fernando Torres,Ibrahimovic etc.
    How do you think Villareal for ex,became so sucessfull,or Sevilla,or Napoli

If i tell you the price they paid for Hamsik,Rosi(our ex man),Kanoute,Lavezzi is no more than we paid for Owen few years back when we bought him from Real Madrid.

Mike Ashley knows that we’re in a dog fight now and he would be the biggest idiot in the world not to give JK at least 20 mill for January cos he knows how much he’d loose if we go down.

We’ll win the FA Cup this year,that’s our other objective……just watch 😉

• Stardust

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Yeah – we probably sold the Mob all their tracksuits – we have just ordered a few thousand bedsheets for the next transfer window lol

• DanToon

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Dennis Wise made some crackin’ signings! Still a punk tho!

• Partizan

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Kanoute+Rossi+Lavezzi+Hamsik=28 mill euros
    Owen=24 mill

Sometimes money is worthless if you don’t know how to use them.

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM

DanToon – you got the “un” right – but I think the other letters are C and T LOL

• ZidaneMan

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Go for Arda Turan please!!!

• Bob

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Great posts Partizan and UTD111.

• UTD111

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Thanks you Bob

• magpie6699

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Toonmadtom (2). If the club wasn’t sold and Mike Ashley got us into Europe (unlikely as that is) why would we want him to sell? I would be ecstatic!

• BT9MAG

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Aii Utd11 1 – decent stuff there…

The fact is, no-one is ‘happy’ with the ownership, but standing with mispelt signs and semi-audible chants don’t do anything to help the club…

Like all the so called fan’s who said they’d never support Newcastle until Keegan came back…

I think sometimes jumping on a bandwaggon becomes more important than having an opinion on a situation.

We ARE in the $h1t, we ARE gunna struggle, we ARE gunna need new players but we AREN’T gunna be helped by people complaining, moaning and revolting at every opportunity!