Viduka So Appreciative Of Unbelievable Geordie Support

Mark Viduka has come out today and talked about his six months out with his Achilles injury, but says Geordie fans have given him unbelievable support during that time.

Mark Viduka – so glad to be back

Viduka told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle today:

“There was a chance I could have had an operation, but I didn’t want that because I could have been out for nine months and I don’t need that at this stage of my career.”“I didn’t expect to be out for six months, though, when it first happened. To be honest, I was playing with the injury for a while and it just got worse and worse.”

“I thought I could try to get through to the end of the season.” “But it got worse and worse.” “I’d love to stay fit until the end of the season.” “Achilles injuries are complex things.” “If I can get myself to playing week-in, week-out playing without getting a reaction that would be great.”

“Then I just want to get back to the business of scoring goals.” “It’s great to be back and just nice to get on.” “It could have gone either way and it was an end to end game.” “There was a lot of passion in it and it was a very quick game.”

“One goal could have won it and that is how derby games are normally settled.” “The last few occasions the teams have met have been really close.” “I think this one was similar.” “For my chance late on the ball came in from Jonas Gutierrez and I went to volley it in.”

“I think in the end I stopped and lost my momentum and it wasn’t the best of chances.”  “It’s very important that we kept another clean sheet.”  “We were always a threat going forward and we have to work just hard to keep teams out as we do to score.”

“It was nice to hear our fans getting behind me. I can understand the Boro fans getting a bit upset.” “But the Geordie fans to me are unbelievable.” “During this time that I have been out people have been so supportive of me.” “

And I’d like to thank them.”

We’ve been told mark has looked great in training and he looked good in the 25 minutes he was on last Saturday, and with a little luck could have hit an unlikely winner late in the game.

But Joe now has 3 top class strikers available for just two places if he continues to play 4-4-2.

We wonder if he’ll try a 4-3-3 formation against Stoke City on Saturday, although that may impact the defensive formation, which has been so solid these last two games.

We’ll see what Joe does on Saturday, but that is a must win game.

What do you thin?    Comments welcome.

• beyethegreat

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:31 PM

apparentley our fans have been taunting medo again

• Ed Harrison

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Yes I know – that’s not good – will get the club a bad name.

• beyethegreat

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:36 PM

ed

last year i thought it was just a few people that got carried away but to do it twice in a row shows what some of our fan base is like …..sigh…. as if the reputation of our club wasnt already damaged

• eaststander

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:44 PM

I have a feeling the Duke will suprise us this season many say that he is past it but i don’t really think he was ever as fit as a regular player. Has always used his eye for goal over speed

• NotAGhostToon

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:54 PM

I like viduka, kinda wish he could just stay fit though! For my liking we should play this against stoke…i feel harsh dropping enrique because i think he needs to keep his place to improve but i want a win more.
    Given
    Beye-Coloccini-Bassong-N’zog
    Gutierrez-Butt-Guthrie
    Owen
    Viduka – Martins
    I personally think at the moment, this is a great team and would get the win.

• UTD111

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Viduka is still worth having around as he gives us some alternatives and he scores goals. Pity he was still match-rusty at Boro or he would have won us the 3 points. Still, good to have him back.
    Has anyone seen the rubbish article that Moyes is going to try to borrow Own on loan?? And what exactly would United gain from a deal like that?? LOL

• Danish_Magpie

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:27 PM

My team for Stoke:

…………………Given………………..
    Beye….Colo……Bassong….Zoggy

…………………Butt………………….
    ………Guthrie……….Jonas……….

…………………Owen………………..
    …………Oba……….Viduka……….

I know Zoggy doesn’t get utilized best at LB, but Enrique has been quite shocking, and since we are at home to Stoke, I anticipate we will be on the attack more than defense, so his attacking abilities will be used well.

If we are up by one or two and when Viduka tires, we can bring him off for Taylor and switch back to 4-4-2

………………….Given…………………
    Beye……Colo…..Bassong….Taylor

Jonas……Guthrie…Butt…….Zoggy

……………..Oba…….Owen…………..

• Davies

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Just nice, and totally unexpected, to have Duke back and playing. I thought his career was over, but if he can recapture the form he had toward the end of last season, I’ll be happy to have him back. I hope Kinnear does play all three up front, or Owen in the hole again. That must be terrifying for most teams to try and defend agains.

• Andy McNally

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Mido get abused because he looks like Richard Reid!

I’d play Viduka in a front 3, similar to the end of last season. Even though he has lost any pace that he had he still has that touch of class that can change a game.

• ObaFan2

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Anyone who puts the effort in for the team will be well appretiated by the Geordie faithful, Duke, when fit has bags of skill and deserves the praise and support.

• Flan

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Taylor might be a good choice at lb against a team like Stoke cause i can see them battering Jose or Zogs out of the game.

• kid in toronto

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:17 PM

was edgar that bad as a LB? i remember him scoring against manutd as a LB under roeder

• wilko

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:20 PM

we have to be aware of this long delap throw, don’t want to get caught by something as base as that after the solid way we’ve defended normaal football

• beyethegreat

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:34 PM

obafan i disagree

look at smith ok hes not brilliant but he does put the effort in and he was booes at the valencia game

• ObaFan2

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:41 PM

lol Beye, effort and skill then maybe…….. thing about Dukes though is he can be lazy but he does have bags of skill. Smith though has been useless……

• Spyro

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Ed Harrison

Your decision to bury your head in the sand about the Mido issue speaks volumes about the quality of this blog doesn’t it? Simply avoiding it completely wont make it go away. Yet you would rather write articles about Hull city’s top priority…Poor

What criteria do you use to judge which stories are worthy Ed?

• Turkish Magpie

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:55 PM

this is the best team for saturday

—————————Given————————–

——Beye———Colo———Bass——–Enrique

———Jonas————Butt————–Nzogbia

———Viduka———-Owen————-Martins

but JFK will play

—————————-Given————————-

—–Beye———Colo———-Taylor——Enrique

—–Jonas———Butt———Guthrie—–Nzogbia

———————-Viduka——Owen—————-

• Ryan Peacock

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:03 PM

viduka when FIT is as good as ANY striker in the league but he is so un realiable when it comes to fittnes

• Nattrass of Wire

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Viduka is full of skill and when he’s on song he can be untouchable. I’d have him leading the line any day as long as he;s fit and committed.

• james L

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:12 PM

this wud be my team agenst stoke. plenty of goals due from all of these strikers. we just need big shay to keep his 3rd clean sheet in a row and all three points are certain to come our way.

given

beye colo bass enrique

gutierez guthrie nzogbia

owen viduka martins

• Ryan Peacock

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:15 PM

james thats wat id pick

given

beye colo bass enrique

gutierez guthrie nzogbia

owen viduka martins

• irish geordie

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:27 PM

To be honest i don’t see Viduka starting the game. Id say Ameobi will start and Viduka might replace him later in the game.

Id prefer Taylor at LB at the moment, Enrique not there yet. Needs somwone to learn off.

Its hard to know what way the middlefield will be used. theirs no creativity their.

only 1 goal from them so far, I think nzogbia could do the AMF. Not going to happen though.

• beyethegreat

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:30 PM

spyro

i dont wanna get in to any arguments like you and hitman but i think its a bit harsh to criticize ed for burrying his head in the sand

what are you implying ?

• rob

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:40 PM

id pick

given
    beye colo bassong taylor
    butt
    jonas guthrie
    owen
    martins duke

• Spyro

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:41 PM

I am implying that a serious issue such as the Mido situation should not be overlooked.

• Punk Skunk

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Just stay fit Marko, score us a few goals, set a few up & we’ll love ya’!..

• Shola Ameobi

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:10 PM

I reckon we should stick Bassong back to LB and Taylor to CB for this game, get as much height on the pitch as we can, becouse we all know stoke are going to be looking at long throws and crosses to get any kind of joy. Play Oba and the Duke upfront, Owen looked shite last game and doesnt deserve to be an automatic first choice.

• beyethegreat

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:34 PM

spyro

i apologise i thought you were saying ed is racist

• AndrewNUFC

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:43 PM

My mate said when they fans started abusing him the police started filiming them

• Spyro

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Probably AndrewNUFC

They were probably looking for an excuse to make the NUFC fans look bad, but why did they give them the ammunition? It is just plain stupidity, especially after what happened just last year. I hate to say this guys, but NUFC fans reputation is no longer seen as the benchmark in the premier league. That has completely gone down the drain.

Nowadays, all of the football fans i know associate NUFC fans with delusion, knee jerk reactions, racism and not filling the stadium.

Do not take this as an insult as it is not.

• Punk Skunk

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Islam is a religion, not a race, therefore it ain’t racism!..

• Punk Skunk

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Religion is a choice, race isn’t!..

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:26 PM

The Mido situation is nothing more than mindless idiocy from the small section of fans that decided to verbally abuse him. To do it once and be pulled up for it was bad enough, yet to do it again the following season is crazy.
    We are known for being some of the most loyal and passionate fans in the world, racism should never, ever be an issue within our fanbase. Simply dragging our name through the mud, i’m embarrased for them if i’m honest.

• Spyro

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:32 PM

I didn’t say the Mido chant is racism. However, the assumption that he is an islamic extremist because of his physical appearance and egyptian decent could well be seen as racism.

• beyethegreat

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:37 PM

i used to be proud to be a nufc supporter even with everything that has happenned now i feel ashamed this is the first time i have ever been ashamed

• wigaz

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Spyro it was a small minority as was said, I cant say I know anybody who classes most NUFC fans as racist! I’m sure the ones that do are probably not from this region and are being smallminded idiots who sterotype a NUFC fan as a huge fat bald bloke with tats all over his body who is shouting racist slurs from the stands! WE know that isn’t the case & I for one would be the first to defend the Toon Army as a diverse collection of Faithful supporters from Huge blokes to old ladies & kids! Why dont you dry your eyes & Stand up for your own! We are the best Fans on the planet & any1 who doubts come to SJP and see for yourself.

• Punk Skunk

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:39 PM

FFS, every year the smogs try some whingin’ crap…If it isn’t callin’ off games ‘cos of injuries, i mean bad weather, ahem, it’s: them Geordies racially abused our player…Get a life you whinin’ smogs…I guess that’s racist to mutants?..

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Spyro // Dec 1, 2008 at 18:32

———————

that sums it up quite perfectly. Just because we werent making straight up remarks about the colour of his skin, does not mean the songs were not racially charged. Its a real shame, but they should be dealt with suitably. If this was the mackems we’d be up in arms about it.

• Punk Skunk

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:45 PM

It can’t be construed as racist…It’s religion-ist, if anything!..
    …Most players have the piss took out of them, week in, week out!..
    …Why are the Toon Army gonna be racist, when half our squad are from overseas, black etc?..

…It’s just typical of the smogs to get it wrong!..
    …Plebs!..