Kinnear Impacting Newcastle’s Under-Performing Squad

Newcastle United have always had decent players and a good squad over at least the last 15 years.

Joe Kinnear – starting to get the best out of Newcastle players

But the squad has under-performed probably more than any other club in the Premier League, given the resources the club has, not to mention the best supporters in the land.

But for some reason, apart from when the great Sir Bobby Robson and Kevin Keegan were managers, we’ve underperformed very badly.

Indeed when Sam Allardyce became manager a short 18 months ago, we thought that Sam would get the very best out of what we had, which was a good squad, but for whatever reason, even Sam failed at Newcastle.

Glenn Roeder, Graeme Souness, Ruud Gullit and Kenny Dalglish all were given good money to spend and had good players, but couldn’t make Newcastle United successful again.

Now over the last 3 months, since the second resignation of Kevin Keegan, the club has probably been in its worst state for decades, and yet there are some small emerging signs over the last several weeks that the team is actually starting to get a lot better.

Joe Kinnear, an unlikely manager to say the least, has come in and the positives are there for all to see.

Overall he has put the pride back into the players at Newcastle United, and has not been shy in telling anybody who would listen, just how great a club Newcastle United really are, and how proud he is to manage such a big club.

He has also praised the fans no end, and in general the Newcastle fans have taken to the feisty Irishman quite well, even though most fans are still very annoyed at owner Mike Ashley and the Newcastle Board.

The performance of the lads over the last few games has shown determination, commitment and not a little bit of spirit, and it could well be that Joe may even become more successful than we ever imagined.

The signs are there, and we hope we’ll start to win a few games soon.  11 points from 9 games isn’t great, but we had 5 defeats on the trot immediately after Kevin left, and before Joe arrived to manage his first game at Everton.

But we should probably give Joe Kinnear the benefit of any doubt, because if nothing else Joe has worked night and day to turn Newcastle into a successful fighting outfit.

Although there is still a long way to go, there are definite signs he is righting the big ship, which is Newcastle United.

While we’re not getting too carried away, what a story that would be.

• kid in toronto

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:46 PM

it will be interesting to see the players he brings in; usually an indication of the style of football he wants to play. he’s inherited a very good squad up front, but the problems areas have been beaten to death and i hope he gets them fixed. he’s caught the blk/wht bug, and i’m glad he’s here til the end of this season…

• cicero

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM

JFK has done a good job in the short term, but I’m still not sure if he’s the man to take us back to Europe. If he is going to be with us next season I think he needs a very good No.2, someone like Steve Clarke (West Ham) or bring back John Carver.

I’m really pleased Bassong has grabbed his chance maybe we should give Ben Tozzer a chance at leftback.

• Howay50

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Let’s not kid ourselves Joe is a good interim manager and a good guy who has given the players some self belief but he is hardly what you would call top draw choice for a club of Newcastle’s size. If we manage to avoid relegation, and that is a big if, then Joe has fulfilled his role and the club will need to thank him and move on. NUFC needs a new owner and more capital invested into the squad, without this happening we are likely to continue being a club that only attracts interim managers and skirts around the bottom of the league.

• steve

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:06 PM

we def owe JK a big thanks but am not sure we should be looking at him for long term just yet, his current record of 2 losses, 2 wins and 5 draws hardly smacks of tactical genius.

Who’ll be in the bottom four come the end of the season?

Wigan (drew)
    West Brom (won)
    Sunderland (lost)
    Fulham (lost)
    Blackburn (lost)

4 points out of 15 against fellow relegation strugglers

• UTD111

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:06 PM

10 points from 27 Ed. 2 wins out of 9 games. Not exactly pulling up any trees…….

• workyticket

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Ed, the site is redirecting again. Please get rid of the awful ‘Yield Manager’ ads, and stop blaming the users of this site for things which are your fault. You may fool some people but you can’t fool a hacker!

• BT9MAG

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:11 PM

He’ll only been seen as successful if we start winning…

I think it’s always unfair to lump Roeder with an ‘unsuccessful’ tag – he didn’t spend a huge amount of money (bringing in bargain players like Sibierski etc.) and only splashing cash on Martins – who all will agree was worth every penny and Duff, who for 5m seemed, at the time, a real bargain!

He also suffered one of the worst injury crisis’ the club has seen in modern years and yet managed to lead us to the semi’s of the Uefa cup, only going out on away goals!

Great man, possibly not ruthless enough to be a total success, but I was happy with him as our manager and I hate it when people forget what good he did at the club!

• Mac

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:11 PM

We have tried the big name managers and look where that got us.
    Lets just give Joe a chance and see how it plays out. If he can get us in the top 10 with the start we have then in my opinion he has earned the job but i agree he needs a top number 2

• BT9MAG

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:13 PM

He also has the 3rd highest win ratio of our modern post-premiership era…behind KK in his first reign and Sir Bobby!

• canada willie

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:15 PM

You would think Joe Kinnear is the new Messiah the way he is given credit for everything .

The man has been here just over a month and has obviously had nothing to do with the juniors and their development over the last few years

This is just another PR exercise to show Kinnear in a positive light and save Ashley’s interest in the club. You could see this PR strategy right from the start and it has worked really well judging by the comments of your readers.

Dont’ forget Ashley screwed up this club by sacking Keegan because Keegan, understandably, wanted some control over the signings. Now Ashley has given this to Kinnear when he wasn’t prepared to do it with Keegan.

He gets rid of Keegan and substitutes a manager who hasn’t worked for 10 years. Kinnear has 11 points out of a possible 27 and is on a fast track to relegation and yet everyone thinks he is great. I don’t get it.

• Kash

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:15 PM

We can only judge “Joking in me ear” when he has had time to assemble his own players with some cash to spend. But he won’t get that, as Ashley will give him pennies and prospective owners will only back their own managers!!!

His tactics are proper shit though!!!

• Bill F (Original)

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Whenever I have finished on the bog, I run Crap Cleaner, (free version) this seems to keep me relatively free of excess adage. It’s possibly the News now site as much to blame as some blogs often have to take a lot of baggage like it or not.

• Bill F (Original)

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Obviously I meant blog and not bog in the previous comment, talk about a freudian slip. 🙂

• workyticket

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Bill F, It’s Ed’s ‘Yield Manager’ ads which are the problem, and he’s trying to make out that it is the fault of the users. That’s not right.

• james L

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:36 PM

massive rumour ganin arooned work the day saying that we have swaped geremi and give blackburn 2 million for morten gamst pederson and we have got stephen appiah for free but the deals will only go through in Jan mind u the guy who telt me was a spacka (not really just thick)

• workyticket

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Canada willie, you need to get your facts straight. Ashley didn’t sack Keegan, he walked out. Kinnear wasn’t out work for ten years, he was working in football. Keegan did have some control over the signings but he’d never heard of any young players because he hadn’t watched a game in three years. Stop deluding yourself.

• Micky Toon

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:38 PM

JFK seems to have steadied the ship. To a point where we aren’t going backwards or forwards. We are going to draw more games than we win. We are playing horrible football, worse than under Fat Sam, but we have to be grateful because JFK is as good as we could get, and now we have to put up with him until the end of the season.
    JFK seems to be getting credit for something he hasn’t really done. I’m convinced that someone like Terry Mac would have been in exactly the same position. It’s just been down to luck and the players sorting themselves out and not down to any tactical genius or man motivation techniques on JFK’s part. All just my opinion mid you, I have no proof.

• Micky Toon

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:41 PM

I know I talk some crap on here, but please believe me when I say install firefox with no script and ad blocker pro and you won’t have any more bother with redirects or adverts.

Before you do that run spybot search and destroy to get rid of any crap on your system. Hijack this is all well and good if you have the ability to read and understand it’s output. Spybot just does it for you.

• bowburnmag

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Micky Toon – sometimes I wonder if you’re me posting under a different name.

• Whumpie

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:55 PM

I wouldn’t have thought JFK can take us right up there, but then I wouldn’t have thought he’d have got us stable either – so who knows?

He’s not setting the world alight, but he’s not supposed to – he’s going for draws in difficult games and wins in easy ones, to achieve his target: staying up.

HOWEVER, if he doesn’t show some nouse for all-out attack football against Stoke on Saturday, then I’ll have to conclude that he’s another Sam Allerdyce – a rescue specialist but not a winner of trophies.

Let’s be honest: two losses in nine games is a lot better than we thought we’d have under him, but you’d also have hoped for more than two wins!

So much hangs on Saturday…

• Knownowt

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Workyticket, there was nothing wrong with canada willie’s reading of the situation. Only someone with a bias against KK could fail to acknowledge that he was placed in a situation where he had no choice but to leave as he wasn’t allowed to do the job in the way he had, very publicly, been promised. A facility now apparently given to Joe Kinnear.

• workyticket

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Micky Toon, I’m familiar with Firefox, ad blocker and spybot. I have to use all common browsers in my web design work. I’m just a little disappointed that Ed is trying to blame site users for his own stuff. Personally, I would recommend AVG anti virus + the other AVG stuff as a good general purpose application for viruses, spyware etc. ‘Hijack this’ is an invaluable tool for detecting browser hijackers and other stuff that apps like Spybot and other anti spyware apps can’t deal with. It’s a tool of last resort.

• benn..

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:02 PM

bt9mag.. agree completely. i was devastated when roeder went. he had an average 1st complete season and if he was given the money to build in the following summer.. surely would have improved and then god knows what would have happened that season!

• bowburnmag

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:04 PM

workyticket – I agree Knownowt. You seem like a bright bloke but let’s be honest, you can understand why some folk are still standing in KK’s corner? We have no facts, just opinions? I’m getting de ja vu again though talking about Ashley vs KK……

• MDS

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I go warm/cool on Kinnear. I like that he’s brought stability to the club and I like the way he communicates with the fans. I also think its good that the players like him.

I do have issues with him tactically, however.

I need to see what he does in the transfer window (with the understanding that he will have limited funds) before I will really have a strong opinion either way.

We are playing well because the defense has been shored up. Add a LB for Enrique compeition and a DM cover/competition for Butt and we are set there- perhaps for years to come.

But the reason we aren’t getting wins is that we have no creativity in the final third at all. We either need a world class winger to replace duff or a AM. We will not get to Eurpoe until we get those things.

For me Europe could happen with the right 4 players in at a price of $25million.

• workyticket

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Micky Toon ps. I don’t think that Joe Kinnear would have lost to Derby County 😉

• tdt

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:09 PM

what KK will argue against Ashley will be constructive unfair dismissal. this is because Ashley breached he contract by changing fundamental terms, ie control over certain areas etc. KK will win in court, if what we’ve been told about wise etc are correct.

• Bill F (Original)

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:13 PM

We were saying similar stuff about Big Sam as Joe before MA decided he wasn’t up to the job. We were also pointing out that Fergy also very nearly got the boot from ManU after his first season. No matter who is in charge they need time to get it right (or wrong) before we start sacking him.

• bowburnmag

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:13 PM

workyticket – while noting that you’re a bright bloke, clearly I’m not. That should have read I agree ‘with’ Knownowt. Regardless of KK’s behaviour (we can judge if it ever comes out in the wash) why have the rules changed for JK? Does his opinion regarding total control etc mean more than KK? Either, Ashley is stringing JK along or he’s moved the goalposts. Is it just because he has to, as a last resort, rather than through choice? I’m not sure that makes it endearing exactly. Either way, smacks of disrespect to both Mr Ks.

• workyticket

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Kinnear to his credit has worked miracles with our defence in the last few games, but the forward line has been a little unbalanced with Owen and Martins, hence the lack of goals. We need a classic centre forward to work with these two great strikers and bring the best out of them. Hopefully Viduka will come good but only time will tell.

• bowburnmag

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Incidentally, more to the point of the thread, kudos to JK for steadying a floundering ship but he desperately needs to get some flair back. I’m not talking about ‘The Entertainers’ era but injecting a bit of pace into the play. We have some of the players but we don’t play that way. Get some more in and play with a bit of oomph. I couldn’t give a fig about results if we compete and play with oomph for the majority of the time, provided we don’t go down in the process obviously….

• hisnameisjonas

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM

11 point from 27, how many games did keegan manage to get a win when he came in after allardyce?? some people forget that it takes time to change a falling team and kinnear have certanly got it back on track faster than keegane did. May I remind people the 9 games i tok keegan to get a win in the league…….

• beyethegreat

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM

hisname

the situation is completely different

keegan played some realy hard games with not much of a squad due to injuries suspensions and the african cup of nations

• workyticket

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Bowburnmag, I thought that you were quite a bright bloke actually. Whether I agree with you or not, your posts are sensible and well put.

I don’t think we know what the rules were with Keegan exactly, some users have built a mountain of piffle on pure hearsay and tabloid junk, so I’ll reserve my judgement until Keegans case against the club comes up. One thing though, I think this notion that we should somehow destroy the club on Keegan’s behalf is absolutely insane! Especially so as we know so little about what happened exactly. Time will tell hopefully.

• Big Si

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Just out of interest how many of you on here actually go to the games, home or away ?

I get the impression that most of you support the team from the armchair, am I wrong ?

• hisnameisjonas

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:40 PM

how is it different? there are players out injured and there have been players out injured, owen, barton, butt, taylor, duff, viduka, ameobi, carroll, lualua, gonzales……. and there will always bee. chelsea everton aston villa man city are easy games in your oppinion?? think not. kinnear didnt know how long he would be here, the players didnt know what was going on.. and noboy was running the club, i would say that this is even a harder task than keegan had.

• bowburnmag

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:42 PM

workyticket – totally agree with the notion of finding a ‘happy place’ for everyone. I think the idea of backing KK comes from the fact that so many of us trust that he cares enough about the well-being of it (and us), that he was doing it for the good of us all. But you’re right, time will tell if that trust is well-founded or just makes us trusting fools. By the way, did I read that you work in web design? – can I rudely ask, gor-any-jobs for testers at your place? Shameless I know….

• Turkish Magpie

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Big Si-

that is irrelivant if fans dont have the sufficient funds to do so!

• bowburnmag

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Big Si – Armchair, carchair or pub at the minute.

• hisnameisjonas

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:45 PM

big si, that is a bit of a problem for me as I live Norway, but if I could I would always be at the games home and away to support the team even if ashley would be owner of the club for decades