Scoring Goals Is My Job – Mark Viduka

Mark Viduka was delighted to get back playing for the first team on Saturday, and he looked more than useful when he came on for Oba in the last 25 minutes on Saturday against his old club, Middlesbrough.

Mark Viduka – 80% fit right now

Mark talked to the Newcastle journal this morning:

“It was great to be back and it was nice to get on. The last six months have been really difficult and tough but I feel I have a lot to offer the team,”

“When I got injured last season things were going really well. That run of games last season was the best I felt all season and I think I need another run of games now to rediscover that form.

“It’s a busy time for us during December but hopefully I can play as much as possible and start scoring and creating goals again, because that’s my job.”

“I’d like to think I was 80% fit. I know that I have got to get some games – there has been almost half of the season gone now and most of the boys have been playing week in, week out so there’s a while to go before I can get to that level,”

“I’d love to rediscover last season’s form – as a team we need to get our confidence back. The most difficult part of being out has been not being able to help out the team when they needed it.”

Mark misses far too many games with injury, and it’s going to be interesting to see if Newcastle take up their third year option on Mark. We believe he signed a two year contract with an option for another year, but he’s not appeared 30 times yet for the club since he was signed as a free agent, by Big Sam a year last summer, because of all the injuries he’s had.

And it will not help if he continues to want to play for Australia in their world cup qualifying games, which always means he has to travel such long distances. However, when he is fit, there’s no doubt he’s an excellent player, as he showed us all on Saturday. With any luck he could have got us a late winner, when his shot was blocked.

It would be great if Mark is available now for every game through the end of the season.

Comments very welcome.

• Len

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Interesting how he seems to be able to get fit and enthusiastic months before his contract expires after years of injuries. Same at Smogland. Personally I would only offer him a pay as you play contract.

• Ausgeordie

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Pay as you play at best but jeez he holds the ball up well sometimes

• StevieA

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Pay as you play would be a good deal I agree but I would still give him 30-40k each week before that as he is a quality player.

It’s just his fitness, if he could stay fit he would score 20 and setup about 15 goals without any problems. I wish he was 10 years younger, shame really.

Who knows he might just be more determined than ever to do well after being out for so long. Quality player when he PLAYS.

• Whumpie

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:04 PM

If only you could teach what he knows. Imagine wor Strolla learning to hold the ball up and dent defenders the way Viduka can?

Gutting that he’s getting past it. He really puts a whole new level of excitement into games, because you know he’ll make opportunities for himself and anyone within striking distance.

Pay-as-you-play would be great, but I doubt if he’ll go for that.

Anyone else want to see KK’s 3 up front this weekend? Not JFK’s style, but I’d love to see him try it…

• Obafan

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:39 PM

He is a quality player when fully fit. He has had bad luck, but as long as he is fit he can add so much more (other playing style with a perfect target man) quality and strength. And he loves to play for the club which is so important.

I voted YES for another contract.

• Ian

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:47 PM

I like the pay as you play idea, but maybe with a £10k per week guarantee? That way he doesnt drain us if injured?