I’ve Had A Tough Time At Newcastle – Kinnear

Joe Kinnear took some time today to reflect on his 10 weeks in a job that is generally considered to be one of the most challenging in British football – Manager of Newcastle United Football Club.

Joe Kinnear – it’s been tough at Newcastle

Joe said today:

“Has it really only been 10 weeks? It seems a lot longer than that.” “But obviously without a shadow of doubt I knew I faced a massive task when I came here.”“People close to me and whose opinions I respect told me ‘You are going in at the wrong time’.”

“Newcastle were on the floor when I arrived here. They were second from bottom and they had lost quite a few games to teams they should have been capable of beating.”  “They had been beaten at home by Hull and Blackburn, so there were six points dropped.” “We need to address that and get those back elsewhere.”

“I have enjoyed it – but I have had a tough time, there’s no question about that.” “I know I am not the most popular, I understand that, but you get on with life and it is up to me to prove I am the man that’s right for the job.

“Come the end of the season, I might be celebrating.”

“Just when we think we have got a good result, and we have had a few since I came, all the other scenarios have worked not in our favor.”   “But good luck to those teams who are scrapping the same as we are down at the wrong end of the table.”

“It will continue to go on until one team decides to win three on the spin and you see a big change in the picture for them then.”

Even if Newcastle fans aren’t convinced Joe is good enough to be manager of the club long term, few would disagree that he’s done an excellent job for Newcastle so far. He only has 11 points from his 9 games in charge but the performances have generally been very good overall. His record is won 2 lost 2 and drawn 5 – we needed to turn some of those draws into wins.

We think he has done very well, and are very willing to give him 100% support through the end of the season.

Joe’s proved he’s a fighter and he was willing to take on the job when few others wanted it, and he has fully earned his extended time at Newcastle United, in what seems to be his dream job.

After it’s all over at Newcastle for Joe, whenever that is, we can guarantee Joe will think it’s the best job he ever had.    😀

• DanToon

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:59 PM

i’m sure the £50k a game made it a lot easier lol!

• toonoot

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:18 PM

“Newcastle were on the floor when I arrived here.”

Cheeky get! He was licking bloody lamposts when he got the call for the job.

• Micky Toon

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:47 PM

JFK a legend in his own office. I still stand by my comments that he hasn’t done anything special. It’s not as though we are now winning games is it? He came in and took a job no one else wanted. He needed us to kick start his own career. Hopefully,once we have someone proper in charge he can go on to a successful management career with Torquay Utd. I hear Charlton are after a new manager. Perhaps he would like to stay in the NE and take on Sunderland.

• Bosck

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:58 PM

to be fair he aint lying tho!! when he joined both him and us were pretty much rock bottom.

• sirjasontoon

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Just leave him too it…he talks alot of Pap sometimes.

Get some wins under your belt then talk ,he should be too busy training the lads right now to be spending time talking shite to the press.

• ObaFan2

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:20 PM

JFK’s and ok guy and he will find a team he will be suited to one day but I doubt that team is NUFC. His results are ok at best, 5 draws lol but the win against Villa was the best result/performance so far.

Ashley will be so happy mainly because he is saving a fortune on wages for a top manager.

• It Could Be Worse, We Could Be Spurs! (DC)

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:31 PM

lmao @ toonoot

• dave

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:44 PM

I can’t argue that he’s improved results but someones watching different matches to me if they think performanced have “generally been good” but we’ve got to behind him and the team until the end os the season then take it from there

• Darryl

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:53 PM

im glad we never got someone well known in anyway, what would be the point, weve been doing that the last few seasons and it aint worked. Glad we took a new approach, even if it was desperate. Sounds stupid, but i dont want sunderland to go down either. No proper derby’s in a season isnt the same.

• craig chisholm

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:59 PM

we are still rock bottom ffs!! is he looking at a diff table to me?? also he has had a dig about us not beating blackburn, well er, what about your last home game jk……….a lucky draw against bloody wigan. this bloke is full of hot air and loves to spout on. i dont mind that, its cool, i just think he should do something before saying how good he is all the time. he is like fat sam for patting himself on the back.

• TORONTOON

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:08 PM

speaking of fatsam, he might get the s’land job; will make their visit alot more tastier.

• AO

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Just heard that owen has signed a new contract. Obviously noone else would meet his ridiculous wages.

• Kevin Nichol

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:15 PM

I say well done to JK! He took the job that nobody else wanted! I’m glad he is here until the end of the season; then we should judge him! I am particularly interested in what happens in january when he will have the oppurtunity to bring in some of his own players!

A win against Stoke on sat followe dup by decent results away to pompey and home against spurs could make the table look a lot better than it is right now! I”l be supporting you on sat JK & until the end of the season; as we all should do as fans!

• Kevin Nichol

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Source AO please??? Now that were friends n all

• AO

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:23 PM

kevin n- Amazing how a hatred of tomtoon can bring people together and make a blog a nicer enviroment.

Source- One of my business clients sent an email. He works on the sports desk of a national paper.

• nightfall

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:49 PM

hope BS gets sunderland job…he’s the only one who’d pay 6m for smith 🙂

• oba martins=legend

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:08 PM

3pts against stoke n im happy please not another draw we can go up 2 14th dependin on other results . oba needs 2 get on the score sheet n show jfk he is the main man least he cares bout the club that was shown last week when he got p od bout comin off. would love wor jonas 2 notch 1 n all im achin 2 c that mask. n hope zogs puts in a performance. also 20 mins for lil nile can only b a good thing if lil MO is invisible again. but overall the win is the most important thing.

• JENKY (Ross)

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM

oba martins=legend – i heard somewhere that the rules regarding celebrations had been changed, and that Jonas wouldn’t be allowed to get the mask out even if he did score. Shame, but i dont think we’ll be seeing Spiderman! 🙁

• Bill F (Original)

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM

From what I have read so far on the various blogs, I don’t think any one really dislikes Joe. I think what has caused some resentment is the circumstances surounding the club at the time of his resurrection from oblivion. I think he has done ok despite the difficulties. He now has to the end of the season to really prove he can do the job. A few new players will help.

• oba martins=legend

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:55 PM

jenky(ross) he has written to the fa n worse comes 2 worse he gets a yellow worth the sacrafice me thinks. any 1 got ne opinions on the boy ranger think he needs a chance jus in case some1 decides they wanna pay lil MOs wages. our young uns r lookin good i say throw em in for 15 mins at a go startin with ranger. kadar looks a machine n tozer as well, also bout time kazenga got his chance the boy got talent let him shine strollas baby brother is a poacher n all get em in dont waste the young talent we do have time 2 let them flourish i say. come on jk show us ur balls

• TOON GOAT

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Stop it AO, you naughty Spurs supporter. You know very well he’s done no such thing. Less obvious wind ups in future please!

• bowburnmag

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Tough effin time my ar*e. I saw a kid sleeping in the snow this morning. That’s some ‘tough time’. In a no-lose situation, JK has come in and done ok but he doesn’t half like to bleat on.

• Geordie_SA

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:08 AM

Lets give credit where its due. Joe has helped the club and the players are alot more confident. You can see the togetherness in the training sessions.
    I hope that he strengthens the squad in the right places during January.