Kinnear Happy At Renewed Competition For Places

Of the first-team group that leaves only Joey Barton and Alan Smith, both expected to be back in January, and Damien Duff, less than a week away from his return, on the sidelines.

Joe Kinnear – man in black – happy at new competition for places at Newcastle

Joe Kinnear is pleased that most players are fit right now, apart from Smith, Barton and Gonzalez, who are long term injuries who will return next year.

Joe told nufcTV today:

“It’s very competitive in training now, which I like a lot,” “You can see a difference now from when I first came in because the competition for places means the tempo has increased as far as training sessions are concerned.”“Everyone is chomping at the bit to get in the side and I’ve got some difficult decisions to make.” “But if I’ve got to leave good players on the bench then it’s great to have those sort of players there who can change games.”

“It gives everyone a lift when you look at the bench and, like Saturday, see someone like Mark Viduka.” “I’ve got a few decisions to make again this weekend, but I’m more than happy to do that.”

Joe will be hoping to make that competition for places even greater come the end of January.

If we can add three top players to the squad, probably two defenders and a central midfield player, our squad will start to look stronger, and hopefully we will move up that league next year.

It also looks like Joe doesn’t need to let any players go, to generate transfer funds.

Hey, it even feels that things are starting to look up at Newcastle, and that’s a nice feeling.   😀

• waddle's mullet

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:39 PM

DON’T SAY I DIDN’T TELL YOU!!!
    Fat sam coming back into football

7 waddle’s mullet // Dec 3, 2008 at 16:54

got told at 12.30 roy keane has gone walkies odds then 7/4.

now 4/7

fill your boots boys

• Phillipe Alberrrrrrt!!!

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Not even Niall Quinn would be that stupid. Appoint a Newcastle Reject imagine the uproar in the Village of the Dammed. Personally I’m hoping Dennis Wise fancies another crack at management……….:-)

• Punk Skunk

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:49 PM

You were ther waddles!..

• UTD111

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Phillipe Albert – what a great idea. I’m happy to chip in for his bus fare….in fact I’ll carry the little twot to the Stadium of Empty Seats……

• JENKY (Ross)

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:51 PM

waddles-i just saw fat sam has been touted as the early favourite, absolutly hilarious!
    long ball football alll the way back to the fizzy pop league for the scum

• waddle's mullet

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Can’t wait
    fat head in charge of them
    what a laugh

• ToonRich

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Back to the article….

I got a sneaky feeling once Smith is back, JK will work on him like he did with Shola, and he’ll get a half decent player out of him. What do you think? I’m still not convinced Smith could be a mid, it would be good if we could mold him into another Butt figure but its too late, we already know Alan cant tackle!!

• HonoraryGeordie

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:45 PM

2 defenders and one central mid? I’d definitely say that we need a left back, but cb is covered by Colo, Taylor, Bassong, Edgar, Cacapa and Beye…RB is signed and sealed by Beye with Taylor very adequate cover…whereas in CM we only have Barton (injured), Butt (old and his wayward passing and lack of pace seriously hinders our attacking play), Guthrie (very similar to Butt, yet together are very one dimentional) and Geremi who Kinnear doesn’t seem to play. I’d say we need one tall, powerful and rangey kind of player such as a Vieira or Diop, and one creative player who likes a ping such as a Bullard. Our midfield is too slow and too short and lacks creativity…Two new midfielders that can slot in in different positions would be great, and a left back.
    Our goalkeepers are class, our defence is much much better with only left back open, zog and duff are good options, Jonas is quality, and up top it is about finding the best combo…3 players, one defender and two midfielders.

What an essay to say one little thing, I must be bored!