Joe So Sorry To See Roy Keane Leave Sunderland

Joe Kinnear knows former Sunderland manager Roy Keane well from their time together on Irish television, and Joe was shocked when Keane left Sunderland yesterday, after doing very well at the club, at least until the last 7 games.

Roy Keane – surprisingly walked away from Sunderland

Joe also believes the Sunderland players have let Roy and the Sunderland fans down, and should be feeling guilty for their performances, especially over the last several weeks, in fact since they beat Newcastle.

Joe talked about the situation today:

“It was a big surprise for me because Roy has done an excellent job there. I just wish he had taken a deep breath, taken a step back and realized what a good job he has done over the last two seasons.”

“He is a bright young manager and it’s sad he has walked away because I don’t think the team were in a crisis.”  “I think Roy is his own harshest critic really and he obviously wasn’t happy with how things were going.”

“Nobody can tell him what to do. He has made his decision and we have to respect that, but I don’t believe it was the right one because, in my opinion, he was doing a brilliant job there.”

“I thought it was only a matter of time before he turned things round, but he has decided he’s taken the club as far as he can and there wasn’t anything anyone could say to get him to change his mind.”

“I sincerely hope it isn’t the last we see of Roy as a manager in the Premier League because that would be waste. He will probably feel relief for the first week or so because it’s over, but in a few weeks time he will feel like he has chopped his arm off.”

“Football is in his blood and I know what it’s like to be sat there watching games on television or in the stands. You just want to be back in the dressing room.”

“Roy will be welcome at lots of grounds up and down the country, but when he’s there he will regret not being involved. I don’t think we have seen the last of him, I certainly hope not because he is a top manager in the making.”

“I think the players need to take a long hard look at themselves because it is too easy for a manager to take all the blame when performances don’t go well.” “They were leaking goals left right and centre and I think they will be shocked the manager has left.”

“They will feel responsible I hope because they have lost an excellent manager who was capable of taking them on to a higher level in their careers.”

We thought Keane was on his way to becoming a top manager, and are surprised he packed it in after 6 defeats in 7 games. It was really the first crisis he’s had to face as manager. But it also looked like the Sunderland Board weren’t that keen (excuse the pun) to keep Roy, which is also a little surprising, since Chairman Niall Quinn has always backed Roy to the hilt.

The club will now need to get an experienced manager in, because it’s likely they will be dropping even more points soon. They play at Man United tomorrow, and it would be a brave person to forecast anything but another Sunderland loss.

While Sunderland are the obvious enemy at Newcastle, nevertheless we still feel it’s in the interests of both the Newcastle club and the north-east region in general, that Sunderland stay in the Premier league.

How else can we keep beating them, if they get relegated?    😀

But we also know that view is not shared by most Newcastle fans.

Comments very welcome.

• Ryan Peacock

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:48 AM

roy keane ha ha

na na na na na hey hey hey bye bye

• 51times

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:49 AM

tl;dr

Back to the potato fields for Roy.

• Tom Wooker

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:53 AM

all the dogs breathe a sigh of relief

• 51times

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:56 AM

I would love it if Fat Sam got the job, it’d be hilarious, boring football for a boring little club.

• GEORDIE69

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Ferguson will find a job for him at Man Utd! Maybe the academy.

• Micky Toon

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:59 AM

I’d have him at NUFC as a coach. Fantastic player and someone who stands by his decisions and has the courage of his convictions.
    Shearer as Manager, Keane as Assistant. Magic. 🙂

• bettyswollocks

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:01 AM

i 100% agree with joe. keane was doing an excellent job. spuffing a fortune on crap players and taking them back to the championship. bit gutted he’s gone to be honest – now it might be just us playing blackpool next season.

• HeronMag

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Micky Toon – no mate. They are both two strong personalities who don’t seem to like each other that much!

I think that would be a nightmare!

• Toon Graeme

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:17 AM

I found out by text yesterday and jumped on the WAP to confirm and laughed me arse off in BHS cafe in the MC yesterday – yes that was me.

Anyway its a forgone conclusion that the mackems will be direction less and all over the place tomorrow – at best 2-0 defeat at worst 5-0 but would love to see a repeat drudging of what we got done by last year!

Fat Sam for the Mackems – now that would be interesting if he is in place by 1st Feb. Cant see it like. He was odds in for Blackburn too.

To sum up – I dont really care but do not recall such coverage on SSN when KK left etc.

Who knows why he quit. Be honest – who cares!??!!!

• Shearbliss

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:22 AM

micky toon that combination is to volitile!

• Guinea Mag

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Dissapointed that he’s gone as he was doing a decent job. He spent too much on mediocre players but was obliged to as it’s difficult to get players to the North East.

I hope Newcastle and Sunderland both survive this season and are in PL for next season…..

• Micky Toon

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Yeah, I know Shearer and Keane wouldn’t work due to their “mutual respect” of each other. 🙂

• beyethegreat

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:41 AM

i am dissapointed hes gone i just hope the next manager is as easy to make songs about

• rooks

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:30 PM

east 51times (2) – I hope your making that comment cos he looks like an actual potato farmer you know, not cos he’s irish

• rooks

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:31 PM

sorry I meant ‘easy’ (as in ‘tread carefully’) not ‘east’. ah f**kit…

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:46 PM

if fat sam gets the job we’ll have all the songs in the world. just go on about how he’s fat, he played boring football, we shipped him off because he wasnt good enough for us and now he’s left with the mackems, there’s endless material! haha

• Flan

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I don’t remember either JK or RK doing any work on Irish T.V.
    Less of the potato farmer comments too 51 Times.

• lesh

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Seems as though Keane’s like KK in that he’s too emotive and proud. When the going gete tough, that’s when the likes of Joe, Rednapp, Ferguson and other old-stagers win hands down.

Best of luck though Roy, take time out, reflect and learn from the experience!