Bassong Such A Bright Spot For Newcastle

There’s little doubt Seba Bassong is emerging as the find of the season for Newcastle United.

Sebastien Bassong – tackling Spurs and Russia’s Roman Pavlyuchenko

Seba talked about his career at Newcastle today:

“I am very pleased with my start for Newcastle and I just hope that the future will be the same,” “I am enjoying it. When I signed I just wanted to play.”

“That’s what I have done, so I am very happy. Hopefully it will carry on in the same way. I suppose it may have happened a bit more quickly than I expected, but that was still what I wanted.”

“When Kevin Keegan signed me he said I wouldn’t play straight away, but I’ve worked very hard and I’m in the team. Newcastle signed me because they had faith in me and trusted me and because they must have thought I was a good player.”

There’s no doubt that Bassong’s performances of late have captured the imagination of Newcastle fans, after his almost flawless displays at the heart of the Newcastle defense against Chelsea and Middlesbrough.

But he is still far from the finished product, and we trust Joe will keep his feet firmly on the ground, because he wouldn’t be the first youngster to start believing his own headlines, and take a nosedive in the professional game.

But we’re sure Joe will handle the youngster properly, and of course Seba is well aware he has Steven Taylor breathing down his neck for a starting place, and he knows he’ll have to keep performing at a high standard to keep his starting place.

Wouldn’t it be something if the young Frenchman continues his good form and becomes our first choice center-back alongside Coloccini for the rest of the season – what a buy he will have been.

And we’re sure there are other great youngsters around like Sebastien, if only we can scout them and get them to Newcastle first.

Bassong has certainly been one of the very bright spots in a Newcastle season, that has been more volatile than usual, and that’s saying something.

• scotty

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Reminds me very much of when we had Distin here. He has a lot of strength and loads of pace.
    Looking a very good aquisition indeed.

• BUDGIE

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:13 AM

The guy is a star, long may he shine. Taylor as backup, but will he be happy at playing second fiddle.

• GOERDIE IN NORWAY

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:17 AM

he has done ok. lets not get carried away. see if he can keep it up…. i remember stan varger for the scum… scar face on bbc said he had the lot after his few games, then it went pair shapped for him.. but i do like him and colo at the center

• Punk Skunk

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:25 AM

He’s doin well atm & way better than distin ever looked as far as i’m concerned!..

• magpie6699

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:35 AM

But do we need Taylor at LB today for his aerial strength at set-pieces?

• Punk Skunk

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Won’t Taylor just be a liability?..
    …He normally is…Stick with the same back 4, send a message that you have to fight for your place!..

• Spyro

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:45 AM

I agree Punk, keep the back 4 the same

Enrique has been part of our last two clean sheets so therefore he doesn’t deserveto be dropped. Anyway, how will he improve if he doesn’t get a consistent run of games. I hope he plays well today to get the impatients off of his back.

• Prandom

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:46 AM

I am asbsolutely delighted with the la,, but please let’s not get carried away TOO soon

• Punk Skunk

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Aye Spyro,
    my sentiments exactly!..

…Another clean sheet would do wonders for the defenses confidence, wouldn’t it?..

• dan

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Distin ??

More like a young Thuram in my opinion.

Find of the season by any club. And for £300,000 or summit.

Credit to Wise, he is only doing what he is paid for, and bloody well so far IMO, hope he dosent get pushed out by some of the idiot short sighted fans.
    If we can get a top LB in Jan, the defense will be class.

• Dev

Dec 6, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Hi lads, news in Dutch press today that Toon have submitted a bid for Urby Emanuelson, Ajax’s young left wing back…

To be honest, I’m not convinced we will sign him because there will defo be other clubs interested. He’s very much a Patrice Evra kind of player, not quite as good however.

I’d be very happy if we signed him but I just can’t see it….keep ya posted.

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Bassong is really good… The signing of the season!- If he carries on like this that is. I am really happy for him and us that it’s about time we found a PROPER DEFENDER.

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:10 PM

BASSONG AND COLO has to be our best defensive partnership at the moment. Taylor was starting to gel with Colo but he got injured and Bassong has taken his chance with both hands. KEEP IT UP M8!!

• Dan13

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Ed Harrison <3 Sebastien Bassong

• JonnyNufc

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Lets keep realistic here a bit lads, the guy looks class but its by no means perfect yet.

Chelsea had chances to score, without a goalkeeper like Given they would have. Same for Boro….they had a clear moment when about 3 of them had a free header and they all got in eachothers way…

Our defending has been much improved…but we’ve rode our luck to. Tho Bassong does look class…reminds me of Beye.

Enrique wastes the ball for me…his crosses are never good & he hasnt looked sturdy at the back. I say stick with him yes because opposition aint scored past two games..but Taylor is defo useful at set pieces.

We cant escape relegation with 0-0 draws…and attacking wise we’re awful since Barton went out. Butt is incredibly defensive…& Guthrie tries but isnt massively creative. Hopefully it improves.

• BT9MAG

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:50 PM

I have a horrible feeling that if he keeps on improving he’ll be off to l’arse!

• Paul:D

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:13 PM

“When Kevin Keegan signed me”
    so fcuk you anyone hus bin biggin up wise and co for signing him

• Darling27

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Sebastien Bassong Quality Player.

• elliott

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Geordie in Norway, he said the same thing after Pistone’s first few games for us too.

Bassong looks good though, unrecognisable from when he playe LB at the scum.

• bruTOOOON

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:51 PM

improvement is defence at least

• Tom_Toon

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:23 PM

I hope we dont waste money on Emanuelson, he cant defend.