Kinnear – Newcastle Job Not About Money – Good

As we now know, Joe Kinnear has been given the green light to go ahead and strengthen the squad in January, and from what we saw in the second half yesterday, that’s exactly what Joe needs to do.

Joe Kinnear – paid less than other Premier League Managers

Joe insists he is happy to be in the job ,and as he will have seen yesterday and today, there are considerable pressures on the Newcastle manager when results don’t go as expected.

On the other side of the coin though, if he builds Newcastle into a good side, he’ll be worshiped by the fanatical Newcastle fans.   It’s a fact that Newcastle fans, and I’m one of them, always over-react.   😀

Today we are depressed on how we let 2 valuable points slip away, but if we had put in a performance in the second half like we did in the first, then everything would have been a winter wonderland – or something like that.

Joe seems to understand that fact, that things are either great or terrible on Tyneside (today they are terrible), and never ordinary, and of course – never boring.

And he seems more than happy to be in the steam oven, (or should that be the cooking pot), also known as the Manager of Newcastle Football Club. In fact he seems to love it.

Ans while he is being paid a lot less than the going rate for a Premier League manager, he doesn’t seem too bothered about the money:

Joe said today:

“When I was given the role last week my financial situation wasn’t even mentioned. But as far as I am concerned this is not about money.”

“Yes it has been tough for me at times since I arrived but I am enjoying every minute of this and while I don’t know how long I am going to be here, when I do go I want to go out with my head held high.”

“However if I do a good job in the next few months perhaps I would ask to have my contract reviewed.”

Newcastle fans will appreciate where Joe is coming from, because it’s nice to have a manager at Newcastle that seems as passionate about the club as the fans are.

Make sure you have your votes in for our most recent polls – thanks.

• Xisco Stu

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Speaking of money, Richard Money could be off to manage Swindon.

• k k forever

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:37 PM

ED PLZ PLZ PLZ CUD U TAKE JOE,S UGLY MUG OF THE HEADING AND PUT ONE OV OUR LEGENDS UP THERE SHEARER BEARDSLEY FERDY TINO PLZ ED

• Ting Tong

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:45 PM

This story is absolute sh1te. totally pointless.

• JonnyNufc

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:50 PM

1st half was totally down to the players tho and not the manager. His intervention ruins things for us.

He is adamant that he wont put 3 upfront…probably because hes desperate to be “different” from Keegan & do his own thing.

Yet we all know 3 upfront worked so well last season…or even dropping owen back and having viduka/martins upfront.

The 3 of them couldnt stop scoring, it was a dream partnership. Yet he is desperate to avoid this. Its idiotic and about pride.

• k k forever

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:52 PM

JOHNY SEE U WERE AT THE GAME THEN

• ronaldeano

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:59 PM

He wont get his contract reviewd if he keeps sitting on leads like that, especialy at home.

• Daniel

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Our biggest strength in the first half was our wing play. Putting 3 up front would ruin that – which I can understand JKs logic for not doing.

It was a risk he took, if Beye at RM and Jonas at CM paid off he’d have been praised for it. This happens to all great managers at one point during there career. Let’s not get over the top.

Ed, you are FAR too fickle.

• Daniel

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Oh yea, sorry for my lack of pessimism, I was just always sorely under the impression that supporters were indeed there to support.

Fan-sites should have fans, not haters.

Supporters Groups should be made up to support a regime and not try to dismantle it.

I guess my views must just be a misinterpretation of words.

• dan

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:10 PM

We were punished for not having any reserve midfielder on the bench. The thing is Butt was out so Geremi had to play but even he is really a RB not a CMF.
    This showed how much of an influence Guthrie has had on the midfield over the last few games.

I cant believe Barton Butt and Guthrie are all out. For the next game.

Given
    Beye Coloccini Bassong Enrique
    Jonas Geremi LuaLua N’Zogbia
    Owen Martins

This could be the best chance LuaLua has to break into the first team and I hope JK gives him a chance instead of playing that stupid formation again.

Alternativly he may be forced to play a certain 4-3-3 😉

• Keith

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Jonnynufc you cannot out and slid things to suit your own perseptions, if you blame kinnear for the second half becasue of his team talk surely he would of given a team talk before the game, you have to take the good with the bad

• JonnyNufc

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Ppl gotta have a moan daniel lol many use this site to just let off steam i wouldnt take it massively seriously. We all still support them.

I see what you’re saying about Kinnears ideas, but he has to learn to change things again when its going drastically wrong. It was similar against Sunderland…they completely dominated and he did nothing. Both times it cost us.

The second he saw gutierrez being ineffective in the centre he should have switched it around again. Get Beye off…put guti back on the wing..cacapa in the centre etc
    Yet nothing.

• JonnyNufc

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Aint saying anything about his team talk Keith, i just feel he should have gone with 4-3-3.

Imo we would have kept the ball in their half more and the attacking mentality would have stopped us from sitting back which always costs us. We cannot take the pressure, we never can.
    When you have 3 upfront you spend less time passing it around in your own half..and ultimately losing the ball there as we did.

• Keith

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:19 PM

thank you daniel , just when i was letting these haters as you put get to me, its great to see some optimism around here

• beyethegreat

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:31 PM

what ever happensi will be always grateful t okinnear he came in when we needed him most yes we are doing him a massive favour but lets not forget the circumstances he came in to (though i dont think he is good enough long term)

• Len

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM

If I was getting 100k a week I wouldn’t be too concerned either. His next best option is about 20k a year.

• Desmond - DesmondBlog.com

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Oba Viduka (for injured Guthrie) Owen

Zogbia Geremi Jonas

Taylor (for Enrique) Bassong Colo Beye

Given

I would play this in second half. Maybe the center is a little vulnerable but I might push Colo as DM and Taylor to CB. Then put N Zogbia to cover the LB.

THen, push Martins to LM and that’s it. Keep playing long ball and hope Martins and Jonas can make it run while trying to delay the game.

• Daniel

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Desmond, by doing that you are also playing 3 players out of position – Taylor, Jonas and N’Zogbia. And weakening our midfield putting out of position players under even more pressure.

There are negatives to every formation we could have gone too.

That is down to injuries and suspensions and a bit of bad luck, combined with our lack of signing a CM in the summer or having a decent enough reserve CM to step up to the main team.

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:52 PM

beyethegreat-it may not seem like it to many, but Kinnear is doing us a huge favour aswell as far as im concerned. Where would we be if Hughton was still at the helm? rock bottom is my guess.