The lack of being able to win yesterday against Stoke, a poor side away from home, has set the jitters going again on Tyneside.
Mike Ashley – hmmm – what should I do now? – read below Mike
And the news today from Michael Owen, that his contract is being held up at Newcastle because of the significant turmoil in the Board room, has done nothing to calm fears he may be on his way in January.
However, his statement today is from a mature young man who seems willing to stay on Tyneside, if only the Board would sort themselves out.
So if we now believe that Mike cannot sell the club in the near future, although the club will again be up for sale in the summer, what should Mike Ashley do at Newcastle in the interim:
Here’s some thoughts – most of them fairly obvious – but meant to be constructive, and yes it’s a bit presumptuous of us – but something has to be done – and soon..
- Issue a statement saying what the position is, as regards the selling of the club. Nobody, including the fans and the players, know exactly what the situation really is, only what we read in the papers. Try to communicate with the fans more, Mike – even if it’s hard for you – it’s in your own best interests.
- Get rid of Derek Llambias as Managing Director of the club, and get someone in who is better at dealing with people, and also knows something about how to run a football club. It is since Derek replaced Chris Mort, that problems have been mounting with the Newcastle Board. It’s obvious Michael Owen will not sing for the club until the turmoil at the club is sorted out, and since it was Llambias and Keegan who had the bust-up – most Newcastle fans who sided with Kevin don’t want Derek at the club. Get rid of him, Mike.
- Decide whether to sack Dennis Wise or leave him in place. But if he is left in place, issue a statement stating that his job has changed, and that the Newcastle manager will now be fully in charge of all transfers to and from the club
- Once Derek Llambias has left, someone new brought in, and something done about the role of Dennis Wise at the club, meet urgently with the players whose contracts run out in the summer.
Those players include Michael Owen, Steve Harper, Shola Ameobi, Claudio Cacapa, David Edgar, Mark Viduka and Nicky Butt. We would assume only Cacapa and Edgar would be allowed to leave the club in the summer, but that decision needs to be made first.
And it would probably be good to keep all our players until the summer, assuming only Cacapa and Edgar will move on, since we’ll not get much for them in January. And we need some strength in depth to avoid relegation.
- Go ahead and fund Joe in the transfer market, as Mike has already indicated he’ll do. If only to keep Newcastle in the Premier league and protect his investment, we need new players in January, and quite honestly the more the better, as long as they are good players.
- Finally, to some of our fans. Please stop calling for Joe’s resignation – that’s simply daft and will only cause Newcastle to be playing in the Championship next year, that’s all that will do.
Joe may not be the long term solution, but he’s working his socks off for our club, ever since he arrived, and we openly support him in his endeavors.
Let’s all support the players and Joe through the end of this season. They deserve that at least, given the difficult political atmosphere in which they’ve been working over the last few months.
Well, those are some constructive things we think will do some good at the club.
Now let us know what you would do – but please keep them constructive – and keep the language decent – many thanks.