Kinnear Convinced Ashley He Must Strengthen In January

It seems that Joe Kinnear will settle just to keep Newcastle in the Premier league this season, and that’s one reason the January transfer window is so important ot the Tyneside club this season.

Mike Ashley – persuaded to strengthen side in January

Joe was asked if he thought he would have done the job if he can guarantee survival for the Tyneside club and he said today:

“Yeah,” “Because then I’d have done the job, we’d have stayed up.”“If we put our best team out I think we’ll do well in the FA Cup.”

“People keep telling me we’ve got a tough draw in the third round (at Hull City) but I think we’re capable of getting something from it.”

“I said from the minute I walked in here we were in a relegation battle,” “We had four points. What else do you do? That was a fact.”

Kinnear seems to have had no trouble in getting the Newcastle players to realize quickly, they were not too good to go down, and he got good performances out of the team almost immediately.

But we have still squandered points with far too many draws that could (should) have been wins, so we are still 4th bottom of the league right now.

And Joe seems to have done a good job in getting it through to Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias that they just have strengthen the squad in January to ensure we stay in the Premier league.

Joe continued:

“I’ve made it clear to Mike and Derek (Llambias, Newcastle’s managing director) and I said to them before the injuries we’ve got that if there was any stage where we lost four players we are knackered because of the strength in depth.”

“As I said to Mike, he’s got to protect his assets as well. It must be a massive loss financially to go down. It makes sense to me.”

“I think he has realized the potential seriousness now,” “The easy thing is to say bad luck, bad luck, bad luck but that is going to do nothing for you.”

“Every manager has had a go (at building a squad), they’ve bought five, six, seven players in. I haven’t had chance to do that. I’d like to buy six or seven.”

Kinnear has a reputation as a fighter, and the Newcastle fans have seen that in spades since Joe arrived. But at Wimbledon, Joe did surprisingly well in keeping the London club away from the relegation zone, when he had minimal funds to spend.

Joe continued:

“The lowest I finished was seventh from bottom,” “We always planned to get something like 26 points on the board by Christmas. We were never in the bottom four at Christmas.”

“This season I think teams will need about 42, 43 points to stay up,” “That’s as the current form is going at the moment with everybody battling for every point there is.”

“It depends on what effect the (transfer) window has on all the other sides, whether they’re in a position to strengthen up or whether they lose key players. That will have a big say in what position teams finish in.”

We have 16 points right now with 4 games remaining this year – Portsmouth away, Tottenham home, Wigan away and Liverpool at home.

So if we are to get close to 26 points, we’ll have to win three of those next four games.  While that’s not impossible, it’s asking a lot, given the poor form we’ve shown at home of late.

But five (or more) good players in during the January transfer window will go a very long way in ensuring that Ashley has a Premier League team to sell in the summer.

Staying up – and winning the FA Cup would be good enough for this season – wouldn’t it?   😀

• always keegan

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:19 AM

does anyone no anything about skiljberg i have a cousin in norway who has said the deal is close to be done

• Sav

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Had Joe won some of the matches that should have been would, would Ashley have been as convinced to strengthen? Funny way to do it.

• charlie

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:31 AM

i think 40 points should be enough and that will be the minimum target, after that 43 would be a good milestone to surpass (our grand total in the last 2 years i think). If joe keeps us up he has done well, and if we get passed 43 i think he will have done brilliantly well. so 4 points from the next four games. Win at wigan/ or home to the spuds and a draw from one of the others and we should be on course with the hope that reinforcements are on the way in jan.

Thats not forget we are not the only big club to be doing badly, man city and spuds both spent significantly more than us and only have 2 more points than us. Plus I think Blackburn and west ham are going to struggle. The question is do we have enough to stay up, i hope so but it is too tight to call.

come on the toon lets have a response tomorrow

• Sav

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:33 AM

As for this Kahn bloke, he’s got 50 million and he blew 1% of his total worth on a number-plate. He should fit right in.

• geordie jock

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Even if we do have some money for transfers who in their right mind would want to play for us. Today we hear Upson mentioned , come on somebody is having a great laugh at our expense. I really want to believe in miracles but i have never been so low thinking about Nufc and it is all the fault of that Fat Greedy B*****d who is in charge.

• Turkish Magpie

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Staying up is more than enough for this season,

i think that if we concentrate to much on the cup, we will leave the league and get the drop, and knowing our luck we wouldn’t win the cup either, if we concentrate on the league and say try your best but dont push it, in the cup we can do well this season, i’m sorry but this season is over in terms of silverwear, we have to focus for next season but right now just staying up and you never know, with how close the league is we might qualify into europe in the league

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:59 AM

sav-that khan bloke doesn’t have a hope in hell and he knows it. shameless advertising on his behalf like.

“i’ve got 50 million, i want a big premiership club, by the way i’ll do cars for all of you, here’s a pricelist incase you’re interested, talk to your mates i’ve probably done something for them..anyway yes, back to the matter at hand..”

• Sav

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I think you’re right KK.
    I wonder what ‘keeping you in the Premiership’ bonus JFK has negotiated with FatAsh? Apparently his wage isn’t great. I expect its a ‘back me with 12 mil in Jan and give me a big wedge in May if I save your bacon’ deal. I’d say FatAsh went for it.

• Marty-TOON RISING

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:01 PM

@ALWAYS KEEGAN
    I`m living in Norway and reports say that Rosenborg have not heard from anyone regarding Skjellbred

• craig chisholm

Dec 13, 2008 at 2:25 PM

this guy (jk) is full of shit. keegan didnt buy a single player, let alone 6 or 7. every player that came in was hand picked and given to him from that turd wise.
    ED, you godda be kidding me with that list of our next four fixtures. i will say right now i reackon we will oose all four and be bottom of the league by the end of the xmas run. Win three!!! more chance of ashley fitting into a pair of size 30 wranglers!
    this joe is a king class gob shit, him and ashley are a perfect pair. i wish them all the best in the fizzy league with a half full house max. all kinnear ever does is spew on about how great he and how well he is dong. I can not believe the fact that he seems proud of his pathetic record since joining us, it says alot.
    kinnear reackons that he has at last made ashley realise that we have no strength, jesus, keegan and all the 35 managers we have had since ashley arrived have all also said the same thing!! ffs. this ashley really is thick as pig shit.

• UTD111

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Craig – you’ve done it again mate….left me very little to add!!
    Mind if Jokin Here thinks he’s gonna win the FA cup – I reckon its about time he had his bumps felt LOL

• TheGoldfishBowl

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Agreed Craig Chisholm, Ashley and Kinnear WILL take us down, I’m certain of it…

• big bill cumming

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:16 AM

most good managers are good only in their first few years. any premiership manager is only as good as the squad he can buy/retain.
    we need (1) an owner who will buy a good up & coming manager (shearer?)
    (2) let the manager hire & fire,
    (3) and get them lucky magpies back on the badge! before we start playing at darlo & donny.