Joe Talks About Owen – Praises Newcastle Supporters

Joe Kinnear will be meeting with his captain, Michael Owen, on Tuesday, to discuss the new contract Newcastle are to offer the England striker.

Michael Owen – to meet on contract this Tuesday

And it is clear that Joe Kinnear, the interim manager and now manger for the remainder of the season, wants Michael Owen to stay on Tyneside.

Joe said after the great win at Portsmouth today:

“Michael knows my feelings, he knows I want him to stay at the club.”“I have a good relationship with Michael, I get on very well with him.”

“He’s a decent lad, a good captain who understands the game as well as being a top goalscorer.” “Michael will have numerous options I’m sure and fair play to him, but I will do my best “to get Michael to sign for us.

“I sincerely hope he will, fingers crossed.” “The most important thing now is Michael stays with us and scores goals for us rather than worrying about anything else.”

And Joe seemed delighted that the team was able to deliver the goods for the traveling Newcastle faithful, as both the fans and Joe, were upbeat following the game.

Newcastle fans – all upbeat tonight

Joe said:

“Our supporters are just incredible and I love working for a club with such backing.” “It’s fantastic for them that they’ve seen us win 3-0 down at Portsmouth.”

“I know the sacrifices they make to come and watch us play. I think most of them probably had to get out of their beds at 4am to get down here in time for the match.”

“I am as pleased for them as I am for myself after this win.” “I hope they enjoy a few pints on the journey home. Good luck to them – they deserve it.”

Good words from Joe, and we trust he will also enjoy a few pints, when he gets back to Newcastle.

Today was a job well done, especially after the disappointment of last week, and there were many positives to take out of the game.

But it was great to have our first win in 6 weeks, even though we’ve just had one defeat over that period.

• toony soprano

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:25 PM

JFK says all the right stuff

Shame Ashley and Owen don’t

• Toon in Portugal

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Hope Owen stays, but I am so bored about the press hype over him. In Jan we don’t need a LB we need a few midfielders, CB cover and a RB.

Rumours over here are that Newcastle have made a 30M pound offer for Joao Moutinho and Miguel Veloso!

• Spyro

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:30 PM

I very much doubt that Toon in Portugal. I wouldn’t be happy with that anyway. What a complete waste of 30million that would be.

• Tripp

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Would never happen anyways. JFK makes a good point about Owen’s remaining season. He won’t go anywhere in Jan because he’s worth a lot more to us as a player than any amount of cash that we could resonably expect to get for him.

• toonie

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Lets enjoy this away win, Brilliant. If Owen wants to go, so be it. This team does not totaly rely on MO. He has done very well financialy by being here and we have stood by him after long periods out injured. I think a little loyalty is in order…we will see.

• SwedEric

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:43 PM

And why would they want to come here? They could probly go to any of the big clubs in europe!

• Don

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Loyalty???
    lets see, they tried to sell him last transfer window and weve only got a couple of weeks till the transfer window opens and they still havent offered him a contract, why on earth would he stay?

It was a good result today but lets not get carried away just yet, we’re still only 1 point above the drop zone

• Toon in Portugal

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I am just saying there has been rumours that I have heard.

• boater

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:59 PM

30mil? After Ashley repeated that he wasn’t going to spend much in the transfer window. At last a few of you are starting to see sense over Enrique…… we have the best back 4/5 since … I don’t know when…. divvent go messing with it FFS!
    We do need another central midfielder… I would pool the money on getting someone special – our team sheet is pretty special until you get to Butt and Guthrie… yep Guthrie is the perfect young’un to have coming through… captain in 2 seasons. Here we gan – MOTD 2 – divvent wanna miss this one.

• Tom_Toon

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Toon In Portugal – I’ve heard nothing!

Where did you see it?

O Jogo, A Bola, Record?

• ronaldeano

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Ive had a few pints!

Well, more than a few

In fact, im amazed that i can see the buttons on my keyboard, never mind spell! 🙂

I fu(king love it when we win man! hahahaha

🙂

• nightfall

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:59 PM

ronaldeano – cheers mate 😀

• jonny_rubber

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:56 PM

please sign here if you want owen to stay at least until the summer………..oh and pass it on

• wsq

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:55 AM

alcohol alcohol alcohol, this alcoholic culture is disgusting

• macitect

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:46 AM

@wsq – huh? you’ve got to be kidding, right?

• Guinea Mag

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:55 AM

I hope he stays as he’s a world class finisher. We’ll have to offer him a similar deal to what’s he’s already on to keep him, and fear we could be relegated if we try and cut our losses and sell him for 5M in the January transfer window.

A fair deal for both Newcastle and Owen would be a performance related salary package but Owen holds all the aces. So need to negotiate a package that will keep him at Neewcastle for the next 3 years….

This is not about loyalty, it’s about Owen getting the best financial deal for his remaining footballing years; good luck to him….

• Geodie Jayne

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:30 AM

I really hope Owen stays but what sort of contract will they offer him any…..wonder if Joking tells us that bit