Kinnear Praise For Coloccini and Bassong

Joe Kinnear has rightly praised the heart of the Newcastle defense, where both Fabricio Coloccini and Sebastien Bassong had very good games this afternoon.

Bassong – yet another solid game from the young Frenchman

It was almost as if the defense went out of it’s way today to get that clean sheet we had hoped for last week,  when we were two goals up at home.

But the promising thing today is that the lads may well have learned a valuable lesson from last week and Joe has drummed the words consistency and resilience into them this week, and that’s the kind of defending they served up today. We looked more than a decent side in the second half.

Yes, they had some luck in the first half and the first 20 minutes or so of the second half, but at the end the Portsmouth team had almost given up, simply because they could get no change out of our defense.

The 4th clean sheet in just 7 games, and we may all have to get used to having a good defense at Newcastle – now who would have ever thought that?   😀

After the game Joe praised our two central defenders:

“We were very professional on the day and gave nothing away.“”

“You have to give credit to our two center halves Bassong and Coloccini because I thought they handled them (Defoe and Crouch) very well.”

“Colo was his normal self today while Bassong has got better and better as the weeks have progressed.” “He is learning his trade and he is growing in confidence.”

“The way they played was one of lots of plusses from the game.””

And let’s not forget Jose Enrique, who is now starting to get better with every game, and probably had his best game of the season this afternoon, especially in the second half. This lad is a true fighter.

In fact it was a great team performance all arounbd, and it’s hard to think of any player who played badly today, and that’s what we just love to see.

Well done lads.

• Tripp

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Great away form from the defense. Now lets get the home form sorted and move up the table.

• AndyNUFC

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Yep, them 2 had a solid day today, but I will say, not as outstanding as other weeks. Still, if this is Bassong on an off day, then we’ve got a world beater.

• ToonKing

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Colo is just the defender we needed, calm, composed and most importantly very good, while Bassong is a revelation and turning out to be the buy of the century.

Those two can get us a long way.

PS: No Taylor = no panic and no goals. Brilliant.

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Bassong beat crouch in the air numerous times today, and i was over the moon every single time he did. Seeing him rise above crouch who’s what, 6’6? never got old, absolutly brilliant.
    Both him and Colo had excellent games and the back four seems to be getting tighter as the weeks go on. Sorry Taylor but i think you’re gonna have to get used to bench warming mate, why change a good thing.

• Spyro

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Colo made 3 or 4 mistakes today that could have cost us, but he also made numerous blocks and clearing headers that nipped prospective problems in the bud.

I am getting sick of writing the same thing about Bassong week in week out, he was fantastic yet again…

• TOON LAD

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:02 PM

ITS SAYS ON http://WWW.NUFC.COM

THAT WERE AFTER UPSON

DO YOU THINK HE WOULD GET IN THE STARTING 11

• Alex

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:03 PM

our defence are becoming a true rock to build on . They made crouch look poor bassong got to every header first . we also made there defence look poor .

• Auschas

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:03 PM

ToonKing you wouldn’t be saying that if Defoe scored when Collo passed the ball straight to him 10ft out of the box near the end of the first half. We got lucky but is good game by the back four nontheless

• furrygiblets

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:07 PM

People we were not lucky, we deserved this win. Sure they could have taken one of their half chances but thats all they were given. We had much more threat in the final third and we were more solid at the back need i say more?

• Auschas

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Condering some of the saves Given made in the first half and the amount of times he came out of his area we got some luck. We did deserve to win but you have to ackowledge we had some fortunate moments where we could have been punished.

Again Collos kick straight to Defo would probalby half the time resulted in a goal. so a 50/50 went our way which is good luck

• Nick Cotton

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Yeah you boys done good, 3 nice points well done. Remember I’m back on at xmas maaaaaaaaaaa. Ope you stuff the tots next week.

• Tom_Toon

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:43 PM

No Taylor, none conceeded, no coincidence.

Yet people were ridiculing me at he beginning for saying Taylor wasn’t ver ygood. I have been saying it for about a year.

• Neville Brewis

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Hello Neville here!
    Hope you lads are all well, my grandson took me to the pub today to watch this. What a result I had four sherries and a shandy. I was a bit giddy and made some new friends. Long may this continue -winning not the sherry!

• Turkish Magpie

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:46 PM

dont care who played well

0-3 GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• AndyNUFC

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:47 PM

If we bought Upson, of course he would get straight into our team. I think with the way our defence has been playing that maybe this Viera/Keane type player is a top priority, then competition for Enrique.

• Nick Cotton

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Yeah toon he was at fault v Stoke for the leveller. Bassong is composed and colothingy looks much more at ease with him. Looking good and for two players new to the premier. Old Joe is doin a wombles, getting players to run across runs and push offs wiv the shoulder-nice . Can’t see refs picking it up yet, apart from bassong v stoke. Great spoiling tactics that wombles used well, but toon should get away wiv.

• Piers

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Im still brimming : )……haven’t been this happy in so long! That rumour about Veloso and Moutinho was probably completely made up haha…..(30 mil) Yea right that would go right against Ashley’s bargain buy mentality……Enrique was my man of the match

Lastly will people finally begin to listen to me that we need an attacking mid a lot more than a lb……I’ve been saying this for ages

• tom tomb

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Blow my own trumpet here but I said after his 1st pre- season friendly that Bassong looked class. He reminds me of Woodgate in his reading of the game. Always on his toes, and look at his age. He makes the others confident at the back.

• Tom_Toon

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Piers – Im half Portuguese and often watch Benfica and check sports sites but I haven’t seen or heard anything about Veloso and Moutinho.

But then again I’m not in Portugal to here the rumours.

• AndyNUFC

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Piers, it would probably take atleast £40mill for them 2 anyway. Plus I like his cash preservation/Arsenal model style of transfers. Gutierrez for £3mill, Bassong for £1.5mill, Guthrie for £2mill, and they’ve been absolute class.

• Tom_Toon

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:20 PM

tom tomb – I said he same, not the comparison with Woodgate though. But I said he is far better than Taylor and is a class act.

People ridiculed me for it. How wrong they were 🙂

• Piers

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Lol Tom Toon and Andy – I said it was made up!

• AndyNUFC

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:22 PM

In the summer Moutinho’s name was thrown about a little though.

• Piers

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:23 PM

And Andy im all for the bargain buys. It was exactly what we needed this summer as we had a lot of holes at each position. But now that those holes are plugged i think its time to go for a quality attacking mid

• micknufc

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:23 PM

nick lad…

• tom tomb

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Tomtoon I remember it well , like someone said earlier he has really adjusted to life in the premier league well. I know you are not a Taylor fan, he has no composure to be any good. Big heart but more of a Bolton type or Stoke. D:

• AndyNUFC

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Who would you suggest? I think Kinnear sees we have enough creativity on the wings and wants this solid Viera/Keane player in the middle.

• Nick Cotton

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Ha ha Mick mate!

• Spyro

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:27 PM

I would say that around 50% of bloggers knew Bassong was superior to Taylor. You only have to look at his raw ability to see it.

• tom tomb

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Tom toon 😀 not D: too much grog! 😀

• micknufc

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:31 PM

the lads were brilliant today,dont know if pompey had an off day or what but to be honest i dont think theyre as good as they think they are anyway.it certainly makes me feel better for the result at yem last season.and to hear thier fans singing about winning cups etc..is it me or do these teams that have spent time in the first division all have huge chips on thier shoulders and crap soccer am type songs? mind ive noticed the “singing end” at sjp have been doing the same…shall we sing a song for you? piss off man.

• tom tomb

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Thought Enrique looked sharper and more switched on defensively again. Still not sure though, JK is right to target a good left back.

• tom tomb

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Aargh must go, 6 o’clock start tomorrow see you lads.

• micknufc

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:33 PM

you well marra ? not over celebrated with the locals down the vic…me ole china lol

• AndyNUFC

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Got sick of them bloody ‘play up pompey’ chants and that CONSTANT bell ringing, i’d kill the guy if he was sitting next to me and I had a season ticket.

• Piers

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Haha well im gonna sound like a broken record as i have said this so many times.

I want Gourcuff from Bordeaux(On loan from AC Milan). I have seen him play five times and he has amazed me all five. He can change the game any way a footballer can, a great playmaker, passer, and scorer. I believe he is perfect for Owen as he can easily supply him with the ball in the box . The only downside is that he is worth around 15-20 mil. However, i believe that a superstar like him is way worth the millions.

• Nick Cotton

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:35 PM

6 am is that ? you must be old bill mate maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Clyde Tavernier was on the bench at pompey if you are old bill. I did’nt kill eddie royal maaa. Sorry if you are not old bill — tomb.

• Spyro

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:36 PM

micknufc

Couldn’t agree more. Teams that were crap and then all of a sudden improve have some of the most arrogant and irritating fans around. Pompy and City are two prime examples. I was reading some Pompy blogs before the game and they were treating it like it was an automatic 3 points.

• micknufc

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:37 PM

he needs that bell up his bumhole me thinks.. but hey those crazy pompey fans eh. go back to where you belong in the fizzy league.but i am totally jelous that they have won a cup,we just wouldnt have that luck

• Spyro

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:37 PM

…glad we stuck it to them, in fact, i might have a read of those blogs now and see how they feel 😀