Zog Deserves More Playing Time Under Kinnear

Joe Kinnear seems to think he has a bit of a dilemma with Charles N’Zobia, because for all his skills and ability, Joe has not been able to give him much playing time at Newcastle, until now.

Charles N’Zogbia – good player – deserves more playing time

Kinnear said today:

“Charles has got all the ability in the world, but I think he’s been fighting himself as much as anything else.” “There’s never a week gone by when he’s not been leaving us, whether it’s coming from his agent or anyone else.”

“I have always had high regard for him. But the point was that Damien Duff’s been playing out of his skin and Jonas [Gutierrez] has been going reasonably well.” “It’s tough. It’s hard for me to find places for all three of them, even though people will tell me that Charles can play in the center of midfield.”

“At the same time, I like my midfield players to be able to track back and pick up – and Charles is a very offensive player.” “He’s got lots of ability in the last third of the pitch, but I wouldn’t want to see Charles hanging around outside our back four in the last third of our pitch.”

“It’s about putting players in the best positions for them, so you know you’re going to get the best out of them.”   “Charles is one of the best players we’ve got at the club high up the pitch. He’s got an eye for a goal, and strikes the ball well,”

“He’s got the ability to beat people – but on the defensive side, other people are slightly better and stronger than him. On the attacking side, he’s up there with the best of them.”

We don’t think Damien Duff has been playing out of his skin. He’s been playing well, but not enough to keep Charles out of the side for so long.

And we don’t think it will be a problem for Charles to track back to help out the defense, unlike his fellow Frenchman, Laurent Robert.  Zog seems to do that all the time in games, and after all he is also a good left back.

We think Charles deserves more playing time at Newcastle, it’s as simple as that, even if it means having Duff on the bench for a few games.

Give the youngster a chance Joe.

• Tom_Toon

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:40 AM

To be honest it was is a farce Duff gets in the team ahead of Zoggy.

Duff is pretty useless.

Asa for Kinnear saying: ‘Duff’s been playing out of his skin’

No he hasn’t! You only play him as he is Irish!

• GEORDIE69

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Tom Toon thats a crap statement stating that JK plays Duff because he is Irish?
    I agree Zog has more to offer but when your in a relegation battle does his attitude help more so than Duff’s?

• Tom_Toon

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Zog’s bad attitude on the PITCH s a myth.

• GEORDIE69

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Tom Toon its the dressing room that affect’s the performance on the pitch!

• Alex

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:53 AM

I hope zog starts today and joe goes 433 and all out attack . We have enough pace to destroy there defence , if we go to try and out play them in midfield with a 442 formation i truly think we will get hammered . Lets use the pace of Martins , Zog and at some point LuaLua

• graeme

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Duff is way past his best, but has put in 1 or 2 half decent performances of late, although nothing to make you sit up and go “WOW”

Zog is a far more capable player now, than Duff is and is a greater threat to the oposition. As such, I would pick him before Duff, every time, especially if we are looking to score goals. Zog can beat his man and does so regularly, which creates chances for both himself and the attacking players.

Get the Zog on the pitch Joe.

• Tom_Toon

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I honestly dont think Zog has a bad attitude.

• The Entertainers

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Zog does deserve some playing time.

But although he plays well in a lot of games, its about time we see him put in a shift where he blows us and the other team away.

He can do it, he just doesnt do it enough.

The lad has loads of ability and he can be as good as Robert and Ginola or he can settle for mediocrity. That choice is and always will be his own.

• ELFER

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Are you serious? I really think we desperately missed Duff in the last games!

I like zog, but he’s not able to replace a fully fit duff or keep him out of the team. I also don’t like all this permantent reports about him leaving…if he wants to leave so it be, but I’m sick of it.

• GEORDIE69

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I know personally from a newcastle player that his attitude was not right! Last season I was invited to the players lounge and noticed that the Zog was more interested in his French mates than the game. He also left early and didn’t care to much for his mates either. I hope he has sorted himself out this season and knuckles down and keeps his spot in the team as he has the potential to reach the very top.

• ELFER

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Oh, and one additional thing is that you have to defend in the EPL also. Even the strikers (owen and martins do it well, as I think) have some defensive responsibilities…If you wait up front it leaves a gap and that’s one reason we conceed so many goals!

Zoggy has to learn to also speed back, like jonas for example! I still remember the manu game, this was the example how it should be all matchday! If Zog learns that, he will be class!

• ronaldeano

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Ed,

Zog is a poor LB in my opinion. He is too attacking minded

• Bill F (Original)

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:22 PM

If having a bad attitude is letting the boss know that you are piss*d off because you know you are better than the guys being picked (any player should think like that) then I say great.

• nimo

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:22 PM

zog has not been worthy of a starting place IMO he has been a week link in last couple of games

• GEORDIE69

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Bill F aye that would be fair enough!
    Not wanting to be at a club and not giving a dam about our result when not picked becomes a bit of a problem for some though.

• Marty-TOON RISING

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Zog is a class player but he has to learn to get his head down n shut up about wanting playing time n leaving.
    Duff justs get on with it and is a lot more mature and knows how to defend n work his ass off for the team.
    Zog cannot defend well but will get better,Duff played some great games and some poor ones but now it`s up to Zog to keep the place by playing out of his skin…..Howay the lads today

• nightfall

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Joe – as you did against stoke?

• Tommy_PA

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:00 PM

I think Joe is right about the last 1/3 performance versus defensive performance for N’Zogbia.
    Having watched the defense “fall apart” with Zog playing LB & LW I notice he burns a lot of energy up field and loses his legs and motivation getting back to cover the break (I’ve seen him beaten by Butt in that sort of race and it should never happen!).
    I don’t think Duff has been sensational but at the same time he tracks back and talks to Enrique to solidify the defense, I think that experience is what was keeping Duff in an N’Zogbia out.
    Anyway I’d rather see Jonas on the left with another RW, and I’d be willing to give Lua Lua a chance.

• Partizan

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Nightfall….Jebe*i JK,koju sam lovu trebao uzet iz kladionica da nije Newcastle izigrao nereseno.
    Koji imbecil je to….prava dileya

• StevieA

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:27 PM

I don’t think he’s consistent enough and when he does get a chance he isn’t good enough.

No doubt he has “all the talent in the world” but he needs to show it more often. Once he learns how to be consistently good then you will see the best out of him.

The only positions he can play for me though are support man or left wing. I wouldn’t entertain him anywhere else yet, not until he learns to play for the team and be consistent.

• nightfall

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Partizan – pa da..znamo svi..pa samo glumi u intervjujih…dela si neko promocijo…majmun jedan 🙂

• sirjasontoon

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:06 PM

I think they are both shite.
    They contribute zero and I can’t remember the last time they played out of there skin or turned a game in our favour.

Zog’s attitude stinks always has done.

• StevieA

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Have to say Charlie was very consistent today. He was bright and alert and rarely gave the ball away. I think Joe is finally getting through to N’Zogbia now.

If he continues that form then he would be in my starting 11 no doubt about that. The frustrating part is he doesn’t play like that every week.

Well done Charlie. Keep it up son!

• Sav

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:04 AM

I think Joe sums up the situation correctly. But Zog is still learning and will only benefit from a settled LB partnership. Must say Enrique played well today – and I’m not his biggest fan – but the telepathy and confidence with Zog is still a long way off.