Kinnear Hopes To Sign Owen, Harper, Butt and Ameobi

News is coming through today, that this week will be a big week for the Newcastle club, in that new contract offers are being extended to Michael Owen, Nicky Butt, Shola Ameobi and Steve Harper.

Steve Harper with Shay – the best Reserve keeper in Premier League

And if Joe can get the deals all signed this week, he will most certainly be on a high, even more so than he is right now, following the 3-0 victory on the south coast yesterday afternoon and a very good team display from the players.

We reported earlier today, and it’s now being reported in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle, that Michael has been offered what is described as a good contract offer by Sky Sports, and Michael said today:

“I haven’t spoken to the club about my contract despite all the speculation in the papers.”“I can’t do anything until I sit down and start negotiating.”

And when the Newcastle captain was then asked if he wanted to stay at Newcastle United, he said:

“It depends what the contract is.”“I feel I have a bit more to offer than just a six-month contract because I have a bit more to offer, having just turned 29!”

“Like most of these things it is meant to be private.” “This has attracted it’s fair share of attention and we know things are never quiet in Newcastle.”

And it’s now coming out that Joe Kinnear has promised Shola Ameobi a good new deal, after the player has been revitalized under the stewardship of Kinnear, since Joe arrived at the club in late September.

Local lad Shola set up the third goal for Danny Guthrie yesterday, and has shown to be more than a decent player, when playing for the new manager.

And Kinnear is also hinting that Nicky Butt and Steve Harper could also commit their futures to the Newcastle club this week as Joe said today:

“Shola was one who I’d say loves Newcastle, and would want to sign, so we’ll look after him.”

“Harps is the same, as is Nicky Butt, who I thought was outstanding with Danny Guthrie yesterday.”

It would be great to have all four players sign their contracts, before our game at home to Spurs next Sunday afternoon (3:00 pm KO).

That would give the club added stability and then five good players coming in during the January transfer window, with possibly a few fringe players moving out, would be perfect.

• Xisco Is A Pirate

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Just don’t let Krul go because of Harper. Send him on a long term loan or something.

• Geordie Dog

Dec 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM

The least Owen can do is sign a new contract. even if he is going to leave it will allow us to get some money back for him rather than leaving on a free in the summer

• fostino

Dec 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM

ameobi, butt, harper and viduka, owen getting there contracts signed would be like getting new signings for next season….is this what we want?? i would certinally welcome harper!! and then butt, owen and viduka on reduced wages….viduka and butt are pushing on……and the rejuvenated ameobi has also justified his new contract. im afraid cacapa and edgar are simply not good enough to be offered new contracts

• Tom_Toon

Dec 15, 2008 at 1:20 PM

We need to extend some youngsters contract too, especially Donaldson.

• Lapu kia

Dec 15, 2008 at 1:33 PM

The problem is their current wages are not low.
    If new contracts are to sign, surely there will be increase of wage or something to lure them to stay especially owen. I know butt and harp may accept cut-wage but they are not low after all.
    They are too inconsistent(except harp), what if owen injures ? What if ameobi ‘restores’ his old form when new a manager(possible).
    Make no mistake, i want owen to stay, but think again, the total wages of 4 new decent and young players that have bright futures ahead will not exceed the wage of owen alone(125 k if not mistaken), or maybe lower.

• justme

Dec 15, 2008 at 1:56 PM

butt viduka and ameobi should not be offered new contracts! they’re simply not good enough to take us forward. we should look for some younger upcoming players

• G

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Not sure about Butt or Ameobi, Butt is too old now and often gives away silly free kicks by leaving his leg out too long as he knows he no longer has the pace to chase. Ameobi is never going to be top flight quality, although he has often produced solid enough cover for the injured first choice pairing I feel he is a bit like Michael Ricketts, has lucky spells then goes missing. I would rather replace both than offer new deals personnaly.

• fostino

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:18 PM

its a tricky one….all these players are in a good position and will demand a good wage, considering the club cannot afford to lose them at this stage and then we must also consider if these players are the ones to take us forward???? harper and owen need to be signed up in my opinion, then possibly one year extensions should be offered to ameobi, viduka and butt to prove themselves further….unfortunatly butt and dukes are pushing on

• ObaFan2

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:33 PM

IF Kinnear can get Owen especially to sign a new contract I will be impressed with him but unfortunately I doubt it will happen due to our penny pinching useless owner and the state of our club.

However, he is nealy guarenteed 1st team football here (unlike if he went to a top 4 team) and some other clubs like Everton and Villa, I doubt they’d match his wages.

Maybe Citeh? They could easily match his wages but would they want him? Maybe they would because he can score goals and has a commercial worth too for the club.

• nightfall

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:43 PM

viduka doesn’t deserve a new contract…

• AndyNUFC

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:34 PM

I’d keep Ameobi for back up, Butt on a very short term deal, no longer than 2 years, and I would initially say definitely sign Harper, but that egotistical little gem of a keeper we have with Krul makes me want to let Harper leave and let him become no.2.

• AO

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:43 PM

i say flog em all and buy arda turan. He would be the catalyst for your team. Dont quote me on this though as i will change my opinion next week. ay tom.

• Nick

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:18 PM

We need to be ruthless and say thanks but goodbye to Butt, Viduka and sadly Harper.
    Shola has proved he is still worth a squad place and Krul must be kept at all costs, even if it means Harper has to move on.

Yes Owen proved a point yesterday but I still don’t think anyone else would offer him anything like the amount we pay him weekly and who honestly believes he will stay injury free for more than 25 games a season or less. I would like to be proved wrong because he is undoubtably a supreme goal threat when fit.

It’s feel good factor now after yesterday, but in the cold light of day, Butt is on his last legs and is already on an extended one year contract at 50K a week. Same applies to Viduka.

Out: Smith now
    Butt end of the season
    Viduka end of the season.
    Harper end of the season.

Save pennies and promote the following:-

In: Lua Lua = creativity and darting runs.
    Ranger = knows where the net is
    Krul = best young keeper in the world
    Kadar = very classy and composed defender.

• Partizan

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:27 PM

I think many of you are forgeting Godsmark,he also deserves a shot.

• Tom_Toon

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Godsmark is like 3ft tall.

• G

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Oh come on Tom_Toon, selling Godsmark a little short there… doh! I’ll get me coat!

• Piers

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:33 PM

If we sign Butt Dukes and Ameobi it better be on reduced wages. All three are out of there primes. And honestly, Ameobi is to slow for the english game, he’s lucky to be resigned

• hisnameisjonas

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM

pump som growht hormons in godsmark then

• jordi

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Don’t see Viduka’s name in that piece. Isn’t he out of contract in the summer as well? No new offer to him from the club? Good.

• Uncle Archie

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:05 PM

The only team I can see coming in for Owen is Man City. However their stupid sums of money may be our saving grace, as not only can they afford Owens wages, they can afford more than that, so why would they take a risk with MO with his injury record etc when they could pay a younger player with similar ability the same daft wage. Podolski for example, not getting first team football, absolute waste.

• oga

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:03 AM

BUTT & AMEOBI?

IF ANY CRACKHEAD WITH MONEY GIVES EIHER ONE AN EXTENSION, I WILL RISK DOING 25-LIFE!

I’M DISGUSTED EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT.

• oga

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:07 AM

How can we not afford to lose them? End of the season will be like the coming of Jesus. We’ve needed a clear out for so long. Only contract that bothers me is Owen. That wouldn’t even be a great loss.

• reillers

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:59 AM

Lads I think some of ye are going a wee bit over the top with Krul, we’ve only seen him play once or twice with us and what, about 10 times with the club he was on loan with.

• The Entertainers

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:41 AM

It really annoys me when you hear ‘fans’ on here shouting how Butt and Harper, should not get new contracts.

Harper has always put Newcastle first, never let us down. I think most fans except he would be in and around the England squad with regular football!

Butt has his faults and times not on his side. However he is a quality defensive midfielder who can STILL do a great job and deserves to be rewarded. There are times he really holds us together and supports our back 4 excellently over the last few games. (Oh he missed the Stoke game, remind me what happened?)

Even Shola, who i have said in the past needs to move on. Prehaps more for himself than anyone else. But my opinions are changing, in the games lately he has shown great quality and i think he would settle for a place on the bench, unlike some strikers we could sign.

Just because players are not 1st teamers or the wrong side of 30 doesnt mean we should get rid. I’m just glad Kinnear is in charge and not some of the fans on here, as it seems these players will get the contracts they deserve!

• Nick

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:13 AM

The entertainers,

Proper clubs would not be giving yet another extension to the likes of butt. Butt went down with Brum a couple of years back.

Personally I think Hharper is as good if not better in some departments than Given, ie communication, crosses and distribution.

However, Krul is the real deal and for me either one of Given and Harper (both now 32/33) has to move on to save losing Krul. How Krul hasn’t had more games after the Palermo game is a disgrace.

Agree we should not be held to ransom by Owen and I think the pay as you play deal being mooted is excellent and would keep him off the treatment table a lot more.

• Jóhann

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Sell Given. Tie Harper for two years. Krul and Foster will soon take over. It´s simple in my mind.