The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

The Zog So Upbeat About Newcastle

1:19 pm, Tuesday, December 16th, 2008 by Ed Harrison · 58 Comments

The Zog (Charles N’Zogbia) doesn’t give many interviews, but he has today talked at length with the Evening Chronicle, and the one thing that stands out in the interview, is that Charles seems so upbeat about things at the club.

Charles N’Zogbia – positive interview

In a rare and candid interview, N’Zogbia told the Evening Chronicle today:

“We have been under a lot of pressure.” “But this has given us a lot of confidence and everybody is happy. The whole dressing room was a very happy place after the game.”

“Hopefully we are going to repeat this when Tottenham come here at the weekend.” “Going into the festive games we feel we can really build on this.”

“It was an excellent win for us.” “Not just for the players, but for everybody connected to the club and all the fans.”

“We really wanted to win at Portsmouth.” “I know Portsmouth tried hard to score, but we are defending very well at the moment.”

“In the second half at 0-0 we knew we could then play our game and get our attacks in.”
“When Michael scored it filled us with confidence and we felt we could get more goals.

“If you look at the goals they were all quality finishes.” “There were a couple of chances for Oba and Michael, everybody was trying to get in on the act.”

“Danny Guthrie has got his first goal now so it’s all good.” “We waited a long time to get this victory but now we want more.”

“All we need to do is keep training very hard.” “The players at Newcastle really want to do something this season.”

“Now we are moving away from the bottom of the league we are feeling good.” “When the confidence is back it really makes the world of difference.”

It’s really good to hear young Charles, who is still only 22 years old after all, so upbeat, and it may well be that the youngster is maturing quickly at the Newcastle club, right under the eyes of the supporters.

Charles has been at the club since he was 18 years old of course, and Sunday’s game was N’Zogbia’s 15th appearance of the season for Newcastle.

Tags: Charles N'Zogbia · Newcastle News

58 responses so far ↓

• 1 bruTOOOON // Dec 16, 2008 at 1:29 PM

he will be a world class player…his skill reminds me of robinho.

hope we get more result and make this guy happy…

• 2 Xisco Is A Pirate // Dec 16, 2008 at 1:34 PM

• 3 PDiddy // Dec 16, 2008 at 1:43 PM

he will handing in a tranfer request this time next week!

• 4 sirjasontoon // Dec 16, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Throws his toys out the pram alot,JK said he is always threatening to leave and so is his agent : )

Not really progressed since coming to newcastle in my opinion…reminds me of the old bling bling brigade Dyer,Jenas and Bramble.

• 5 Xisco Is A Pirate // Dec 16, 2008 at 1:47 PM

SirJason – It’s probably because he’s been pushed all over the park by previous managers. That is, when he’s got on the park to start with.

• 6 ronaldeano // Dec 16, 2008 at 1:51 PM

That Sissoko kid is 100% spot on when he says we are the best fans in England! :)

• 7 Bill F (Original) // Dec 16, 2008 at 1:58 PM

For goodness sake he is a hormone rampantant young man, I would be surprised (and a bit concerned) if he didn’t throw his teddies out of the pram occasionally. We really have to cut the kids some slack as long as they don’t beat up people in the Bigg Market.

• 8 Bill F (Original) // Dec 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM

The word was meant to be Rampant, not what I put. :)

• 9 Boater // Dec 16, 2008 at 2:13 PM

SirJasontoon… I’m with you son. He had the audacity to speak to the press about wanting to play more when he was dropped to the bench… we should hang him up at Grey’s monument I say!!! Me and you SirJasontoon… we’ll hound him out just like we did with the other ‘bling, bling brigade judas boys,,,, Jenas and Dyer – yeah we only finished 3, 4th, 5th with those boys in the team… look at us now bling, bling free!! and ummmm barely out of the relegation zone…. but no you’re right we don’t want talented bling, bling brigade,,, oh apart from Zog – so let’s ship him out with the others and get a hard-working ego-free team together like Bolton! Yeah – you absolute arse.

• 10 lesh // Dec 16, 2008 at 2:28 PM

I know that its the season of goodwill but I must say, either Joe’s performed a miracle in that all appear to be singing the same ahppy songs or…… maybe it’s a nice way to get his name into the public (ie agents/ managers) domain!

Sounds very cynical of me I know, but if Zog’s a happy bunny, then it appears that Joe’s managed to do what nobody else’s managed to achieve.

As far as Sissoko’s concerned, let’s hope the club’s interest’s genuine and it’s followed up pdq – before someone else gets him.

• 11 Ericles // Dec 16, 2008 at 2:32 PM

We have to keep Zog. He is class and will get better. OK, he needs to mature somewhat, but then so do a number of contributors to this blog site. Must admit, from my memory, Bobby Mitchell was a far better player, Ivor Allchurch was better than our present midfield on his own, and the likes of Tony Green have not graced St James for Years. I see the Daily Mirror, Mirror on the shite house wall have set themselves up as flies on our boardroom wall again. How come they say Owen must take a “5,000 quid cut? I do not even suppose Michael has even read the contract himself yet! Looks like a load more crap from Simon Bird aka King Cnut!

• 12 beyethegreat // Dec 16, 2008 at 2:35 PM

journalism at its least inteligent

though i would like to see what this lad could dod in management

• 13 beyethegreat // Dec 16, 2008 at 2:40 PM

toon fans are every where

• 14 beyethegreat // Dec 16, 2008 at 2:42 PM

i am links galore today

• 15 beyethegreat // Dec 16, 2008 at 2:44 PM

• 16 Whumpie // Dec 16, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Boater – over the top, mate. It is fair to say that he has whined on too much (he’s 22 and French, so not a surprise) and while he’s an exciting player, he’s not delivered the goods as much as we’d have liked.

I like having him on the pitch because usually he provides a bit of spark – but the next time he threatens to leave, or gets caught texting during a team talk, I hope JFK hairdryers him.

(And I say JFK, not because I expect him to be the manager for years, but because I expect Zog’s next tantrum to be imminent)

• 17 Boater // Dec 16, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Whumpie I think it’s fair to say you missed the thrust of my post.

• 18 sirjasontoon // Dec 16, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Boater Dyer Bramble and Jenas…please give me a break those players have gone on to be nothing..Dyer had the audacity to refuse to play for Sir bobby a hanging offence in my opinion…from the roof of Howden Metro Station.

Charles has had little impact whenever he has played so if he done one tomorrow I couldn’t care less.

• 19 sirjasontoon // Dec 16, 2008 at 3:04 PM

I think we all missed the thrust of your post Boater please feel free to point it out..when you manage to pull your turd stained fingers from deep inside it.

• 20 Whumpie // Dec 16, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Yeah, a bit confused. I thought you were disagreeing with the point about Zog being petulant and not really getting any better.

I was just saying that both of those points are correct as far as I can make out. He does threaten to leave (or his agent does it for him) at least once per season, and after four years he’s still not 1st choice.

I wouldn’t want to see him go, but if he whines one more time I’ll fetch his coat for him.

• 21 sirjasontoon // Dec 16, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Well said Whumpie I want all our players to do well I just haven’t warmed to charles at all since his arrival..I hope that lad comes good and works hard for the team..I am not on some big bling witch hunt Boater so lets keep the peace and enjoy the blog.

J

• 22 Boater // Dec 16, 2008 at 3:56 PM

sirjasontoon… my point is that you are talking kak. It’s the bogus mentality of some toon fans that Dyer – not refusing – objecting to training on the right wing for Sir Bobby Robson had him booed during an England game at SJP – unbelievable. It’s the same as Zog – yes they get angry for not being able to play in the position they feel will be most effective for the side.
    Yet Barton comes out saying – ‘toon fans are vicious and fickle’ or whatever – and does he get booed… nah … we love that!?!?

Jenas is an england squad regular, Dyer in fairness has been injured since leaving – but if you don’t think for one minute that they would both walk back into our side – if fit – know you really are a fool.

• 23 Stardust // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:01 PM

ED – FANCY A NEW VOTE?

What about something more upbeat for a change pre teh chistmas period?

What about”Where will Newcastle finish in the league this year?” then 5 or 6 choices, from relegation to Champions league?

It’d be good to have something positive, i light of our slowly turning around fortunes?

• 24 Stardust // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:02 PM

ED – FANCY A NEW VOTE?

What about something more upbeat for a change pre teh chistmas period?

It’d be good to have something positive, in light of our slowly turning around fortunes?

• 25 sirjasontoon // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Boater I don’t wish to lower myself to get into silly petty arguments with you.

I am neither a Fool or an Ass and this isn’t the place to have petty keyboard warrior arguments so sorry dude i am not biting.

Incidentally Barton did get Booed.
    I am sure Dyer refused to play in the Boro away

So you are wrong on several counts..best be quiet you are looking silly.

SJT

Dyer regret at Robson ‘betrayal’ BBC Sport

Newcastle force Robson out
    Newcastle midfielder Kieron Dyer has revealed his regret over the sacking of former Magpies boss Sir Bobby Robson.
    Dyer fell out with Robson after refusing to play on the wing and the 71-year-old was sacked in August.

“When I think about it, I feel like I betrayed Bobby. That’s the worst thing about it,” Dyer told the Independent.

“He treated me like a son and I let him down. I must take some responsibility for him getting the sack. I regret letting him down so much.”

Dyer was asked to play on the right of midfield against Middlesbrough on the opening day of the season after Newcastle had been badly hit by injuries.

When I think about how I let Bobby down, it’s the biggest disappointment of my career
    Kieron Dyer on Robson
    But after his refusal the club made a poor start to the season and Robson lasted just another 16 days in the St James’ Park hotseat.

“I’d spent the previous season playing out of position – filling in wherever there was a gap, it always seemed it was me who did everyone a favour,” added Dyer.

“Bobby knew I was frustrated but I should have just played that game. He stuck by me through everything and he even tried to defend me after the Boro game.

“He told the press I had a tight hamstring, he tried to shield me and when I think about that, how I let him down, it’s the biggest disappointment of of my career.

“I’ll have to live with that feeling for the rest of my life.”

• 26 Stardust // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Sirjasontoon – not sure why youre trying to score points with a sad part of history.

Boater is spot on – he was using you analogy against you – the mob always need their blood and he identified you as needing yours – in spite of the damage it does to the club.

• 27 LooneyToon // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Personally I like the Zog….granted he has thrown his toys out of the pram a few times, however recently, he has shown a sense of maturity, especially with his comments in the press….

Play the lad in his correct position (not left back) and he will only get better and better….

He grafted for the side on Sunday and as the game went on, he grew in confidence going forward, along with the rest of the team…

• 28 Boater // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Sirjasontoon… fishing things from the archives like that is interesting but doesn’t mean anything. Dyer’s remorse over the debacle puts him in an even better light than I’d thought. And he came on in that match as a substitute in the 68th minute… so he didn’t refuse to play, this came about after a falling out in training between him and SBR – AS I SAID – for the record.

My point – anyway – is that this crackers bravado attitude about ‘questionable commitment and wanting people to play for the shirt blah, blah is fine if you want a team with no flair players like Zog or Dyer… Dyer was the second most important player for us in the past ten years I would argue… the whole team upped the tempo when he was on the pitch… injuries were cruel to the lad however.. and I think it’s a shame individuals such as yourself dismiss him as some bling, bling waste of space because of a couple of minor incidents. Wasn’t it the great man himself SBR who said you need to be flexible with talented players? Do you want me to fish that out of the archives for you?

• 29 sirjasontoon // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Stardust-Boater is far from “spot on” and the two facts about Dyer and Barton where wrong.

That my friend is spot off in my eyes.

Like I said I am not on here to argue and if you read the stuff I wrote I said I want all players to do well for Newcastle whoever they are.

• 30 Stardust // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:37 PM

cool SJT maybe I was a bit harsh lol ;)

• 31 Boater // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Exactly Stardust… I would argue that the fundamental problem no.1 above all others – we have as a club – is we don’t know when we have a good thing… I laugh at people saying Ameobi ‘will never develop’ – no he won’t – he will score 1 in 3 when on a run in a side, miss agonising sitters and remain happy to be in the squad as 4th choice…. that’s that…. fine – that’ll dae me.

An excellent example of this SirJasontoon is your saying ‘Jenas has gone on to do nowt’…
    well he hasn’t won the ballon d’or, he hasn’t scored for England in a world cup final…. but he is a perfectly adept box-to-box midfielder who is always in the England squad, scores 7/8 goals a season and captains one of the top (historically… ahem) teams in the country…. this isn’t Roy Of The Rovers… not every player we have is gonna be announced by Alan Robson to a crowd of 20,000….. SBR’s motley crew squad of diva starlets took us to the top of the premiership three seasons in a row – we have never recovered – that was just torn apart by Souness and his ‘man’s man’ regime… sounds like you’d have approved of that though.

• 32 sirjasontoon // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:41 PM

All Dyer had was tempo…like a headless chicken on Speed he was.

Bit boring now my friend and I have work to do.
    zzzzzzzzz

• 33 sirjasontoon // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Boater I really don’t think you are getting my point..Dyer was bad news, Jenas is a crock of shite
    end of story.

• 34 Boater // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Aye right Sirjasontoon… the three England managers that unfailingly picked him for the england squads were all missing the sophisticated viewpoint of yourself… don’t let me keep you, those toilets don’t clean themselves eh.

• 35 Stardust // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:53 PM

SJT some of the best play I have seen of recent years was Dyer playing right of centre mid with Solano on the wing.

You dismiss him too cheaply I feel.

You have to remember at the time FS was giving almost hour by hour briefings to AO – SBR was undermined continually by the leaking of the so called discontent.

That should have stayed in house and SB

• 36 Stardust // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:55 PM

might have still been here. Sometimes it pays to look beyond rumour and headlines to see the facts – thats all Boaters doing

• 37 Boater // Dec 16, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Right Stardust… the 4 of robert/speed/dyer/solano makes our current midfield look like a reserve side… sad to say it like.

• 38 fostino // Dec 16, 2008 at 5:09 PM

good arguement lads…its an interesting read, i think Boater well written thoughts are slightly winning me over tho

• 39 beyethegreat // Dec 16, 2008 at 5:17 PM

imo

dyer was a good player gave us alot of energyi felt

i remember in the uefa against sporting i think we were 4-1 up dyer was immense then surprise surprise he got injjured and we were knocked out on the away goals

rule ok maybe solano was wide of the mark by saying he could be as good as maradonna

but despite the injuries high wages and bad attittude he was still a player worth having

• 40 fostino // Dec 16, 2008 at 5:20 PM

i agree,when dyer wasnt injured, he could change a game, he was pure class!!!

• 41 nightfall // Dec 16, 2008 at 5:26 PM

i like zog..but with these rumors of him leaving every single TW…don’t know…ask him and get mcgeady if he’s so uncomfortable playing for us…

• 42 Boater // Dec 16, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Glad to hear people not just writing Dyer off as a lush. When he first came he was the golden boy in British football and his pace and drive had us singing from the terraces. He went on to be a consistent clever technical midfielder who – dead right – formed an incredible relationship with wor nobby down the right side… alas his glass swan body saw him crooked half the season a la Owen.
    He created so much space for his team-mates even if he did squander chances. I remember the hallmark of the Robson era was Dyer, Belles and Robert running into acres and acres of space behind defences – don’t see that now -we hold such a deep line behind the halfway mark. Still times change….. When we replaced Dyer with Smith – our football changed overnight… still now Barton likes to sit deep and spray the ball whereas Guti seems to be under strict orders to sit on the halfway line or cut inside.

• 43 Boater // Dec 16, 2008 at 5:35 PM

On the nostalgia tip… would anyone take a punt on Bellamy if Owen does one?

• 44 Big Dave // Dec 16, 2008 at 5:40 PM

39 beyethegreat They where the times mate getting really excited everytime he got the ball. Boater at 37, I would take them 4 anyday

• 45 beyethegreat // Dec 16, 2008 at 5:42 PM

boater

not sure if he came i would support him but i am not sure i could forgive him over the shearer text message he was without doubt though a quality player

• 46 Big Dave // Dec 16, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Boater i think Bellamy has still alot to offer. I think if west ham had all there players fit they wouldnt be where they are now. just thinking i got excited when bellers got the ball as he was electric

• 47 Stardust // Dec 16, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Saw Bellas on the line in the box on Saturday for WH, cut back in when he had no right to – just like the old days – if his injury problems were behind him – Id have him back in a flash.

I will be controversial here – on his day a far better player than Martins (as Bellas can control th ball lol)

• 48 beyethegreat // Dec 16, 2008 at 5:50 PM

big dave

yeah i wish they were back

we didnt have great players other than given and shearer

but it seemed to work probably coz they complimented each other well

1 of the greatest days for being a toon fan was against psv (i think it was psv i always get them and feyenoord mixed up lol)

i actually missed that game (but i was listening on the radio) anyway i sprinted bk home for the last minute thinking we had been ko’d but just as i walked through the door bellamy scored

• 49 beyethegreat // Dec 16, 2008 at 5:58 PM

we probz had the 2 hardest groups to qualify aswell

toon(great club)
    juve(extremely succesful in 1 of the hardest leagues)
    kiev(gd)
    psv(gd)

barca(one of the biggest clubs in the world)
    inter(1 of the biggest clubs in the world
    toon(great club)
    leverkusen

• 50 Macas // Dec 16, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Hmmm well I have to say i agree with sirjasontoon here, Dyer promised much when he first came but to be honest his attitude was appalling most of the time. Remember him leaning against the post and watching as the ball went past him? He had the potential to be a great player but never lived up to that unfortunately, although he did have the odd decent game for us. And dont get me started on Jenas. I remember nearly getting chinned in the toilets of the Cooperage for daring to suggest Dyer and Jenas were hopeless. This was after we had been humiliated 5-1 at home by Man U and neither of the two had even come close to making a tackle all game. Jenas at Newcastle was useless, never having the confidence to push forward with the ball, and if he did his decision making was always poor. Granted he has improved a bit since then but he showed absolutely no signs of that when he was at Newcastle. N’Zogbia is another who has promised much but never really improved his game since then. At times he looks great, at others he is a headless chicken. He wants to keep his mouth shut and concentrate on proving he deserves a regular first team slot.

• 51 fostino // Dec 16, 2008 at 6:36 PM

re: macas

jenas was a revalation at newcastle when he first came, what are you talking about!! i can remeber his debut against sunderland and he went on to win the young player of the year, he lost the passion tho for us in the end and left, doing an average job for tottenham!

• 52 Boater // Dec 16, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Fostino.. well said man. Funny how people forget – I remember everyone being stunned by his composure on the ball under pressure. SBR had a special gift for spotting decent young’uns. I also remember being at SJP and seeing Souness ranting ‘JJ GEEEET BACK!!!’ the love affair was over then.

Macas… the leaning against the post is a bit harsh – you make it sound like he was standing in a smoking jacket with a pipe or summat… shame you don’t remember more of his cracking match winning displays. Jenas has scored almost 1 (18) in 4 (82) for the spuds… we could do with something like that from a midfielder…

• 53 Macas // Dec 16, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Jenas a revelation? Well he scored a goal soon after he came but thats about it. I think we must have been watching different players, Jenas was a good athlete but not an outstanding footballer. It was never a case of him losing the passion, he just wasnt good enough at the time, and I dont think many fans were disappointed when he left.
    And him leaning against the post wasnt harsh at all, I’ve never ever seen a professional footballer look so disinterested in keeping the ball out of the net. He may as well have had a pipe for all the effort he put in. Yes he did have some great games for us, but they were few and far between. On his day he was electric, but he rarely reached those heights.
    As for Jenas, he has learned to find the back of the net at Spurs, but he never showed signs of that at Newcastle. He spent most of his time in front of the back four making 2 yards passes to the side.

• 54 sirjasontoon // Dec 16, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Well said Macas I was glad to see the back of both of them Athletes Yes, Footballers No.

As for cleaning toilets Bloater yeah thats my trade after you have been bent over them getting shafted by mackems.

• 55 fostino // Dec 16, 2008 at 8:21 PM

re: Mascas

yes ……a revelation when he first came, in his first two seasons………i dont think im the only one who holds that opinion……………or maybe de experts called out the wrong name when he won the 2002–03 PFA Young Player of the Year award whilst playing for hmmn….NEWCASTLE!!

• 56 Macas // Dec 16, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Well I can only go on what I saw week in week out at St James, and he was consistently one of our worst players in my opinion. I dont care what anyone else though, I just go on what I see.

• 57 sirjasontoon // Dec 16, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Jenas and Dyer are hardly prolific now or then.
    They think they are but we know they are only kidding themselves,Dyer has probably had more time on the treatment table than on the pitch,weak failed athlete.

• 58 clinta // Dec 17, 2008 at 2:54 AM

were all on a high now players and fans alike, but the sad truth is that a loss or draw against spurs and once again we’ll be back to were we started- that is relegation form..

previous post: Oba Martins Has Injured Groin