The Zog So Upbeat About Newcastle

The Zog (Charles N’Zogbia) doesn’t give many interviews, but he has today talked at length with the Evening Chronicle, and the one thing that stands out in the interview, is that Charles seems so upbeat about things at the club.

Charles N’Zogbia – positive interview

In a rare and candid interview, N’Zogbia told the Evening Chronicle today:

“We have been under a lot of pressure.” “But this has given us a lot of confidence and everybody is happy. The whole dressing room was a very happy place after the game.”

“Hopefully we are going to repeat this when Tottenham come here at the weekend.” “Going into the festive games we feel we can really build on this.”

“It was an excellent win for us.” “Not just for the players, but for everybody connected to the club and all the fans.”

“We really wanted to win at Portsmouth.” “I know Portsmouth tried hard to score, but we are defending very well at the moment.”

“In the second half at 0-0 we knew we could then play our game and get our attacks in.”
“When Michael scored it filled us with confidence and we felt we could get more goals.

“If you look at the goals they were all quality finishes.” “There were a couple of chances for Oba and Michael, everybody was trying to get in on the act.”

“Danny Guthrie has got his first goal now so it’s all good.” “We waited a long time to get this victory but now we want more.”

“All we need to do is keep training very hard.” “The players at Newcastle really want to do something this season.”

“Now we are moving away from the bottom of the league we are feeling good.” “When the confidence is back it really makes the world of difference.”

It’s really good to hear young Charles, who is still only 22 years old after all, so upbeat, and it may well be that the youngster is maturing quickly at the Newcastle club, right under the eyes of the supporters.

Charles has been at the club since he was 18 years old of course, and Sunday’s game was N’Zogbia’s 15th appearance of the season for Newcastle.

• bruTOOOON

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:29 PM

he will be a world class player…his skill reminds me of robinho.

hope we get more result and make this guy happy…

• PDiddy

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:43 PM

he will handing in a tranfer request this time next week!

• sirjasontoon

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Throws his toys out the pram alot,JK said he is always threatening to leave and so is his agent : )

Not really progressed since coming to newcastle in my opinion…reminds me of the old bling bling brigade Dyer,Jenas and Bramble.

• Xisco Is A Pirate

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:47 PM

SirJason – It’s probably because he’s been pushed all over the park by previous managers. That is, when he’s got on the park to start with.

• ronaldeano

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:51 PM

That Sissoko kid is 100% spot on when he says we are the best fans in England! 🙂

• Bill F (Original)

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:58 PM

For goodness sake he is a hormone rampantant young man, I would be surprised (and a bit concerned) if he didn’t throw his teddies out of the pram occasionally. We really have to cut the kids some slack as long as they don’t beat up people in the Bigg Market.

• Bill F (Original)

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM

The word was meant to be Rampant, not what I put. 🙂

• Boater

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:13 PM

SirJasontoon… I’m with you son. He had the audacity to speak to the press about wanting to play more when he was dropped to the bench… we should hang him up at Grey’s monument I say!!! Me and you SirJasontoon… we’ll hound him out just like we did with the other ‘bling, bling brigade judas boys,,,, Jenas and Dyer – yeah we only finished 3, 4th, 5th with those boys in the team… look at us now bling, bling free!! and ummmm barely out of the relegation zone…. but no you’re right we don’t want talented bling, bling brigade,,, oh apart from Zog – so let’s ship him out with the others and get a hard-working ego-free team together like Bolton! Yeah – you absolute arse.

• lesh

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:28 PM

I know that its the season of goodwill but I must say, either Joe’s performed a miracle in that all appear to be singing the same ahppy songs or…… maybe it’s a nice way to get his name into the public (ie agents/ managers) domain!

Sounds very cynical of me I know, but if Zog’s a happy bunny, then it appears that Joe’s managed to do what nobody else’s managed to achieve.

As far as Sissoko’s concerned, let’s hope the club’s interest’s genuine and it’s followed up pdq – before someone else gets him.

• Ericles

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:32 PM

We have to keep Zog. He is class and will get better. OK, he needs to mature somewhat, but then so do a number of contributors to this blog site. Must admit, from my memory, Bobby Mitchell was a far better player, Ivor Allchurch was better than our present midfield on his own, and the likes of Tony Green have not graced St James for Years. I see the Daily Mirror, Mirror on the shite house wall have set themselves up as flies on our boardroom wall again. How come they say Owen must take a “5,000 quid cut? I do not even suppose Michael has even read the contract himself yet! Looks like a load more crap from Simon Bird aka King Cnut!

• beyethegreat

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:35 PM

journalism at its least inteligent

though i would like to see what this lad could dod in management

• beyethegreat

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:42 PM

i am links galore today

• Whumpie

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Boater – over the top, mate. It is fair to say that he has whined on too much (he’s 22 and French, so not a surprise) and while he’s an exciting player, he’s not delivered the goods as much as we’d have liked.

I like having him on the pitch because usually he provides a bit of spark – but the next time he threatens to leave, or gets caught texting during a team talk, I hope JFK hairdryers him.

(And I say JFK, not because I expect him to be the manager for years, but because I expect Zog’s next tantrum to be imminent)

• Boater

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Whumpie I think it’s fair to say you missed the thrust of my post.

• sirjasontoon

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Boater Dyer Bramble and Jenas…please give me a break those players have gone on to be nothing..Dyer had the audacity to refuse to play for Sir bobby a hanging offence in my opinion…from the roof of Howden Metro Station.

Charles has had little impact whenever he has played so if he done one tomorrow I couldn’t care less.

• sirjasontoon

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:04 PM

I think we all missed the thrust of your post Boater please feel free to point it out..when you manage to pull your turd stained fingers from deep inside it.

• Whumpie

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Yeah, a bit confused. I thought you were disagreeing with the point about Zog being petulant and not really getting any better.

I was just saying that both of those points are correct as far as I can make out. He does threaten to leave (or his agent does it for him) at least once per season, and after four years he’s still not 1st choice.

I wouldn’t want to see him go, but if he whines one more time I’ll fetch his coat for him.

• sirjasontoon

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Well said Whumpie I want all our players to do well I just haven’t warmed to charles at all since his arrival..I hope that lad comes good and works hard for the team..I am not on some big bling witch hunt Boater so lets keep the peace and enjoy the blog.

J

• Boater

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:56 PM

sirjasontoon… my point is that you are talking kak. It’s the bogus mentality of some toon fans that Dyer – not refusing – objecting to training on the right wing for Sir Bobby Robson had him booed during an England game at SJP – unbelievable. It’s the same as Zog – yes they get angry for not being able to play in the position they feel will be most effective for the side.
    Yet Barton comes out saying – ‘toon fans are vicious and fickle’ or whatever – and does he get booed… nah … we love that!?!?

Jenas is an england squad regular, Dyer in fairness has been injured since leaving – but if you don’t think for one minute that they would both walk back into our side – if fit – know you really are a fool.

• Stardust

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:01 PM

ED – FANCY A NEW VOTE?

What about something more upbeat for a change pre teh chistmas period?

What about”Where will Newcastle finish in the league this year?” then 5 or 6 choices, from relegation to Champions league?

It’d be good to have something positive, i light of our slowly turning around fortunes?

• Stardust

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:02 PM

ED – FANCY A NEW VOTE?

What about something more upbeat for a change pre teh chistmas period?

It’d be good to have something positive, in light of our slowly turning around fortunes?

• sirjasontoon

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Boater I don’t wish to lower myself to get into silly petty arguments with you.

I am neither a Fool or an Ass and this isn’t the place to have petty keyboard warrior arguments so sorry dude i am not biting.

Incidentally Barton did get Booed.
    I am sure Dyer refused to play in the Boro away

So you are wrong on several counts..best be quiet you are looking silly.

SJT

Dyer regret at Robson ‘betrayal’ BBC Sport

Newcastle force Robson out
    Newcastle midfielder Kieron Dyer has revealed his regret over the sacking of former Magpies boss Sir Bobby Robson.
    Dyer fell out with Robson after refusing to play on the wing and the 71-year-old was sacked in August.

“When I think about it, I feel like I betrayed Bobby. That’s the worst thing about it,” Dyer told the Independent.

“He treated me like a son and I let him down. I must take some responsibility for him getting the sack. I regret letting him down so much.”

Dyer was asked to play on the right of midfield against Middlesbrough on the opening day of the season after Newcastle had been badly hit by injuries.

When I think about how I let Bobby down, it’s the biggest disappointment of my career
    Kieron Dyer on Robson
    But after his refusal the club made a poor start to the season and Robson lasted just another 16 days in the St James’ Park hotseat.

“I’d spent the previous season playing out of position – filling in wherever there was a gap, it always seemed it was me who did everyone a favour,” added Dyer.

“Bobby knew I was frustrated but I should have just played that game. He stuck by me through everything and he even tried to defend me after the Boro game.

“He told the press I had a tight hamstring, he tried to shield me and when I think about that, how I let him down, it’s the biggest disappointment of of my career.

“I’ll have to live with that feeling for the rest of my life.”

• Stardust

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Sirjasontoon – not sure why youre trying to score points with a sad part of history.

Boater is spot on – he was using you analogy against you – the mob always need their blood and he identified you as needing yours – in spite of the damage it does to the club.

• LooneyToon

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Personally I like the Zog….granted he has thrown his toys out of the pram a few times, however recently, he has shown a sense of maturity, especially with his comments in the press….

Play the lad in his correct position (not left back) and he will only get better and better….

He grafted for the side on Sunday and as the game went on, he grew in confidence going forward, along with the rest of the team…

• Boater

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Sirjasontoon… fishing things from the archives like that is interesting but doesn’t mean anything. Dyer’s remorse over the debacle puts him in an even better light than I’d thought. And he came on in that match as a substitute in the 68th minute… so he didn’t refuse to play, this came about after a falling out in training between him and SBR – AS I SAID – for the record.

My point – anyway – is that this crackers bravado attitude about ‘questionable commitment and wanting people to play for the shirt blah, blah is fine if you want a team with no flair players like Zog or Dyer… Dyer was the second most important player for us in the past ten years I would argue… the whole team upped the tempo when he was on the pitch… injuries were cruel to the lad however.. and I think it’s a shame individuals such as yourself dismiss him as some bling, bling waste of space because of a couple of minor incidents. Wasn’t it the great man himself SBR who said you need to be flexible with talented players? Do you want me to fish that out of the archives for you?

• sirjasontoon

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Stardust-Boater is far from “spot on” and the two facts about Dyer and Barton where wrong.

That my friend is spot off in my eyes.

Like I said I am not on here to argue and if you read the stuff I wrote I said I want all players to do well for Newcastle whoever they are.

• Stardust

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:37 PM

cool SJT maybe I was a bit harsh lol 😉

• Boater

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Exactly Stardust… I would argue that the fundamental problem no.1 above all others – we have as a club – is we don’t know when we have a good thing… I laugh at people saying Ameobi ‘will never develop’ – no he won’t – he will score 1 in 3 when on a run in a side, miss agonising sitters and remain happy to be in the squad as 4th choice…. that’s that…. fine – that’ll dae me.

An excellent example of this SirJasontoon is your saying ‘Jenas has gone on to do nowt’…
    well he hasn’t won the ballon d’or, he hasn’t scored for England in a world cup final…. but he is a perfectly adept box-to-box midfielder who is always in the England squad, scores 7/8 goals a season and captains one of the top (historically… ahem) teams in the country…. this isn’t Roy Of The Rovers… not every player we have is gonna be announced by Alan Robson to a crowd of 20,000….. SBR’s motley crew squad of diva starlets took us to the top of the premiership three seasons in a row – we have never recovered – that was just torn apart by Souness and his ‘man’s man’ regime… sounds like you’d have approved of that though.

• sirjasontoon

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:41 PM

All Dyer had was tempo…like a headless chicken on Speed he was.

Bit boring now my friend and I have work to do.
    zzzzzzzzz

• sirjasontoon

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Boater I really don’t think you are getting my point..Dyer was bad news, Jenas is a crock of shite
    end of story.

• Boater

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Aye right Sirjasontoon… the three England managers that unfailingly picked him for the england squads were all missing the sophisticated viewpoint of yourself… don’t let me keep you, those toilets don’t clean themselves eh.

• Stardust

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:53 PM

SJT some of the best play I have seen of recent years was Dyer playing right of centre mid with Solano on the wing.

You dismiss him too cheaply I feel.

You have to remember at the time FS was giving almost hour by hour briefings to AO – SBR was undermined continually by the leaking of the so called discontent.

That should have stayed in house and SB

• Stardust

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:55 PM

might have still been here. Sometimes it pays to look beyond rumour and headlines to see the facts – thats all Boaters doing

• Boater

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Right Stardust… the 4 of robert/speed/dyer/solano makes our current midfield look like a reserve side… sad to say it like.

• fostino

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:09 PM

good arguement lads…its an interesting read, i think Boater well written thoughts are slightly winning me over tho

• beyethegreat

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:17 PM

imo

dyer was a good player gave us alot of energyi felt

i remember in the uefa against sporting i think we were 4-1 up dyer was immense then surprise surprise he got injjured and we were knocked out on the away goals

rule ok maybe solano was wide of the mark by saying he could be as good as maradonna

but despite the injuries high wages and bad attittude he was still a player worth having

• fostino

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:20 PM

i agree,when dyer wasnt injured, he could change a game, he was pure class!!!