Newcastle United Win Performance Of The Week Award

Newcastle United have been awarded the F and C Investments Performance of the week award, for their victory on the south coast against Portsmouth last Sunday.

joe-kinnear-0011

Kinnear – first award as Newcastle manager – cheer up Joe – it’s good!   😀

The League Managers Association’s (LMA) five-man panel of chairman Howard Wilkinson, Sir Alex Ferguson, Joe Royle, Dave Bassett and Barry Fry were apparently in complete agreement that the award should go to Newcastle for their great performance on Sunday, especially in the second half.

Manager Joe Kinnear will receive a specially engraved crystal football in a presentation to be screened on Sky Soccer Saturday in the UK tomorrow morning.

Joe talked today to the Evening Chronicle today:

“We played exceptionally well at Portsmouth and bossed the game for long periods – the performance had lots of quality.”

“Not many teams will put three past Portsmouth down there as it’s a tough place to go.”

“We are on a decent run now and it gives us confidence for our next game against Tottenham on Sunday.”

Well it’s good that we are in the headline these days for all thr right reasons and it’s good that Kinneasr has an award too for that game last Sunday.

Joe has done well in the last 3 months and heaven knows where we’d be if he hadn’t come in.

Not only has Joe been handling the team both on and off the field, but he’s also trying to bring all those concerned with Newcastle United together, after the massive bust-up between the Newcastle Board and former manager Kevin Keegan in early September.

That follows one of the worst chapters in Newcastle’s history, but whether Joe can be successful in doing that is still very much an open question.

• Desmond - GoalStock.com

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Go and beat Spurs! Another 3-0 would be great!

Goals from Owen, Ameobi and N’Zogbia

• Turkish Magpie

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:01 PM

NUFC 2-0 SPURS is my prediction as it’s the same conditions as the Villa home game really

goals from Ameobi and Owen

• Spyro

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:14 PM

This should give the team a further confidence boost.

• qemin

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:26 PM

there’s always a light at the end of every dark tunnel….hopefully..

• Toon_Ksk

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Please do not get carried away by just one win. We are still not safe from relegation.

• tino97

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Thats our first trophy for a while. Isn’t this award the kiss of the death? Hopefully we can beat the spuds. In recent times nothing has given me as much joy as beating them!

• toon solja in london

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:30 PM

tino97 same here m8 i reckon i enjoy beating the spuds more then blunderland

• Whumpie

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Nice to get some recognition, but let’s not get carried away, eh? More pleased that Shay got the player of the month award.

• Gateshead Mag.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:56 PM

toon solja in london.
    your obviously not a Geordie then, stupid thing to say.

• Ausgeordie

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Gateshead Mag I am from Australia and have supported NUFC for 10 years. I am 28, a derivitive of the word geordie unlocks my computer at work, and is the name of my dog. I have a picture of my girlfriend wearing nothing but a newcastle jersey and the team I hate the most is the spuds. I dont have to deal with the locals if we lost against sunderland but does that make me any less of a geordie??

Your like that little kid in the play yard that says I liked them first so you cant. Mate you should be stoked that people all over the UK and the world love the same team you do not trying to exclude people or tell they are not true fans. Makes you sound gay……in a lame way not a homosexual way

• clinta

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:06 AM

well didn’t know this little award existed at all, but at least JK has him self a classy paper weight for the desk now.

• clinta

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:16 AM

Aus geordie- I am also from Australia, although I hardly ever live there, am mostly abroad. My father was born and breed in the north east and is a geordie, sadly he never saw the toon live, I’ve seen them 4 times now twice at st jame’s, and at fulham and the emriates.

So a fan that lives part in london, but mostly in asia who still makes the effort to see and support his team, i would certainly consider to be a real fan, well anyone really that loves the toon. there are no glory hunters here i think? not know anyway, if people were then they probably should of moved on.

I agree one thing i love about the toon is that they have fans far and wide, i have mates in South africa who are crazy toon fans as well as a couple in Sydney(though mostly m influence).

that said, i like you am a real fan yes, A geordie however…..NO.