Owen Could Spend Rest Of His Career At Newcastle – Kinnear

Joe Kinnear is confident Michael Owen will sign for Newcastle, within the next few days, and if that happens it will be a massive success for Newcastle United Football Club.

michael-owen-1232

Michael Owen – could spend rest of his career at Newcastle

Joe talked about the Michael:

“I spoke to Michael on Tuesday for about an hour-and-a-half,” “He was mulling the offer over and is delighted with the length of time.”

“He said he was very happy here but like everyone else, I suppose, he will go back and negotiate with Mike (Ashley) and (managing director) Derek Llambias and then they will put it to bed.”

“I am not going to say he will sign but I think he will.”

It seems the deal is for three years, but with some extensions to the contract that would keep him at Newcastle perhaps for the rest of his career, which has to be good news for Newcastle fans, and Joe is certainly optimistic, after talking to Michael on Tuesday.

Joe continued:

“I’m very much more optimistic about keeping Michael,” “I’d say it’s now 60-40 that he signs.”

“He (Owen) had told me that with Kevin (Keegan) he had been offered only 12 months and I did not really see any value in that so I just said, ‘What if we can tie you up for the rest of your career, more or less, would you be happy with that?’.”

“He said, ‘Yes, I would be delighted.’”

We’ve always said we thought Michael would stay at Newcastle, well at least recently, because we know that Michael is very settled on Tyneside. It also seems the passion of the club has now got hold of him, and he is well aware of just how special the Newcastle United club is – even with its warts and all, as he’s experienced over the last few months.

It says something about the club that even after all of this, Michael is likely to sign for Newcastle to stay for the rest of his career.  Kinnear also said the deal, initially for three years, contains an automatic extension providing he plays 50% of the games.

Most of the papers are saying he will talk to many other clubs in January, but we’d hope he wouldn’t let that soap opera begin, and if he wants to stay at Newcastle that he will sign quickly, and it seems Joe has got him to do exactly that.

Joe continued:

“There’s no deadline but I said to Michael, ‘When are you going to make a decision?’ and he said, ‘Next couple of days.’ That was from Michael himself.”

If Michael does sign this week, it will be massive for Newcastle United at this time.  Because of all our current problems,  to have a world class star whose name is known around the world, sign for us, can only help the image of the club. And after all he is our captain.

It will be a massive success for manager Joe Kinnear, that’s for sure, and the manager can look forward to a ton of offers in the summer, if he can continue the excellent job he has done so far on Tyneside – both on and off the pitch.

By the time the Spurs game rolls around on Sunday, we  may see all of our four players who have been offered new contracts this week, all signed and sealed, and that would be just great.

Then all we’d have to do is take Spurs apart, and we’d all have a great Xmas.   Simple, isn’t it?     😀

• Karltoon

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:22 AM

I’ll celebrate kwanza if we win 🙂

• Mr. Shearer

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Ed, who was JK talking to ? Chronicle or some red top?

• JoshNUFC91

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:33 AM

if he signs i’ll rape the kid next to me(man utd fan)

• liam m

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Liverpool should sign him wooooooooo!!!! me me me me me me me me me

• lesh

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:43 AM

• jonny

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:44 AM

i am not a happy man

• geordie jock

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:44 AM

joshNUFC91 get off this site. It’s that sort of talk that gives nufc fans a bad name.

• jonny

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:47 AM

hi geordie jock, i agree josh here is giving us a bad name and its really starting to grind my gears

• JoshNUFC91

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:48 AM

btw jonny is the kid next to me
    and geordie jock has no sense of humour, grow up

• geordie jock

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Cheers jonny just sick of that sort of talk. It has no place on a fans website.

• JoshNUFC91

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:51 AM

geordie jock
    you taking the p*ss, just because i said the word RAPE we suddenly get a bad name? do you see me chanting racist comments etc…? no!
    so lick iz

• geordie jock

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:53 AM

I have a good sense of humour. When someone says something funny i laugh but when someone spouts absolute Sh*t and brings this site down i don’t want to know.

• JoshNUFC91

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:55 AM

RE: geordie cock
    a was having a bit of crack on with jonny next to is, will you just calm down you freak. bad experiences in the past like mate? you little creep. get a life

• sirjasontoon

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:59 AM

I think maybe his choice of words where not the best but sure no harm was meant.
    As for telling people to get of the site,relax the last thing this needs is a self appointed moderator.

On football matters be great if owen stays but let’s not count our chickens.

• k k forever

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:01 AM

JOSH THE JOCK ON HIS PERIOD MATE

• Sav

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:03 AM

I can’t credit the following unattributed ‘quote’ from the Mirror webpage:

” NUSC have heard nothing from Ashley several weeks after offering an olive branch of talks – and it has left fans’ organisers livid.
    The fans group, mobilised after Kevin Keegan was forced out to give the Toon Army a united voice, released a statement yesterday and told Ashley: “The fans have laid off their protests in the hope that Mr Ashley would just go, but here he remains.
    “You want to go, we want you to go. Lets start working together on that and then we might just be able to start forgetting all about you. The clock is ticking.”

Which fans’ organiser would come out with that rubbish, phrased like that? I think its redtop nonsense.

Shame we’ve lost Richard Money when the academy seemed to be getting some success. We’ve lost a few reputable coaches here and this is an area where you want stability and continuity no less than in the first team. Hope we get another high calibre coach who does not have ambitions to manage and resist the temptation, if he is doing well, to promote him to caretaker of the first team next time we have a coup.

and J0sh….do one.

• Whumpie

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Blimey. Anyone noticed a story anywhere here?

Josh: there’s a line and as a rule of thumb, paedophilia jokes are generally over it. Drop it, please.

Aaaahhhnyway, back on thread….

JFK’s made a good point in this interview, and Ed’s reinforced it: you need a worldwide star in your squad to appeal to the best players. If it’s a star who’s just committed the rest of his career to your club, then that impact is multiplied.

The long-term deal offered is very, very generous, but a masterstroke. I am scanning Newsnow constantly in the hope that he signs soon. It’ll totally make my weekend.

• JoshNUFC91

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:06 AM

everyone on their period….grow a pair. cheers kk forever and sir jason, no harm was meant just people over react. do 1 sav.

• Ageordiedoonsooth

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Don’t hold your breath

• k k forever

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:11 AM

CAN ALL THE NONE GEORDIES DO ONE PLZ WE DONT NEED UR SUPPORT LIKE MOST OTHER CLUBS IF UR A GEORDIE CUD U ANSWER THIS QUESTION PLZ WHO SCORED OUR 5TH GOAL IN OUR 5 0 WIN OVER MAN UTD

• Whumpie

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:13 AM

If Ashley’s recent quotes (which were very deliberately vague) translate into some sensible purchases (not big names, just good buys) which appear to be sanctioned by JFK, and if Owen and others re-sign, then we’ll be in a position I’d never have believed a few months ago.

Still, if we don’t beat the Spuds on Sunday, that good feeling will go pop big stylee.

Overall, though – is it just me, or are things a lot more interesting and positive than they have been for months??

• Guinea Mag

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Will be a good day for Newcastle if/when Michael Owen signs the new contract with NUFC.

Then need to sign-up the other three players and bring in several quality central midfield players in January …..

Any other signings in January will be a bonus!

• Whumpie

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Twas Philippe Albeeeeerrrrrt!!

• Whumpie

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Nice chip if I remember rightly.

• sirjasontoon

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Alright Whumpie,
    I think the vibe coming out of the club is very positive compared to the months of bad news.

I am looking forward to the transfer window now simply because I am managing my expectations and know we aren’t chasing world stars this time around.

• k k forever

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:24 AM

• sirjasontoon

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:24 AM

I am a geordie,I even have a signed card that I can email of kk when he first came to the toon which says to jason all the best kevin keegan.

The only person on here that I would strike off as an irritating non geordie is Ganiyu-I really hate every dumb comment he writes and if he is on I stay off the blog : )

• Mr. Shearer

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Lesh,

Many Thanks.

• sirjasontoon

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:26 AM

P.S I was born in ne28 parents live willington quay off armstrong road,
    live in brum now and miss the Toon.

• LooneyToon

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Phillipe Albert…at the leazes end….right in front of my little eyes….best day in over 20 years fro me at St James….Ferdinands was the best…header in off the bar…one of the moments that have a freeze frame pic from behind the goal in my head….magic

• joshykins

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:37 AM

I do not like the attitude from newcastle fans it discusts me dearly and it will not get them far. Especially “joshnufc91” he is a disgrace to the football industry using the word “R*PE” I will not repeat for children listening.

• JoshNUFC91

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:38 AM

that comment from joshkinns is actually jonny sitting next to me, he thinks hes funny. and jonny….how can children be listening?

• JoshNUFC91

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:39 AM

ignore that comment because jonnys didnt pass the moderation

• ganiyu

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:40 AM

I see the bright sky shining down
    I see the bright night in the town
    I see the little dude in the honda
    I can’t see im stevey wonder

• Nobby's Dad

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:48 AM

He (Owen) had told me that with Kevin (Keegan) he had been offered only 12 months —————————————————————————Yet more words aimed at discrediting King Kev! Where the hell does the truth lie at our club. We were all told KK had no say in who was bought and contracts. We ALL know KK wanted Owen to stay and it was Ashley who tried to sell him on deadline day.

Kinear should stop being Ashley’s mouth piece and stop trying to knock a manager he could only dream of being as good as.

• Shearer

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:50 AM

I have another poem to share
    If your a newcastle fan why would you dare
    Your the worst team in this era
    And jog on…. love shearer

• HAMMY14

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:52 AM

sirjasontoon:- I think you are forgetting another annoying non geordie i say AO from yesterday he showed what a typical cockney tw@t he is lol

• HAMMY14

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:13 PM

RE:- Shearer .are you AO in disguise?

• rooks

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:20 PM

I’m Irish but I have a pair of black & white pants and once owned an Alan Gowling poster. Can I stay, pleeeease?