Sebastien Bassong – Newcastle An Amaziing Club

Bassong had another sterling game on Sunday alongside Coloccini, and just how good this boy can become is a very good question, as he’s looked just terrific over the last several games, and seems to have a great temperament too.

Seb Bassong – has been great in Newcastle defense this season

Seb talked today and seems happy on Tyneside:

“I feel very good in my favorite position. It’s been a fantastic move for me and I’m really enjoying it. I’m not surprised with how quickly I have adapted to the Premier League.”

“I have worked hard since I arrived. I’m adapting well, but it’s not all about me. It’s about my team-mates who have helped me settle.”

“I don’t think that the fans think I am the main man, they just think that I’m doing well. I have my moments, maybe I’m lucky, but it’s all about the team.”

“I really enjoy it at Newcastle, for the moment it’s great here. It’s an amazing club with an amazing team.” “All I want is to play more games. Joe gives confidence to me. He puts me on the pitch and I say thanks to him.”

“He is a good a manager and he has made it good for us all here. He thinks I’m professional and that I should know what I have to do.” “He advises me during the game and he knows I’m young. I have to keep my concentration up.”

We now have a decent 6 game unbeaten run going (10 points) and are just 5 points out of 6th place, but there again, we are just 4 pointsd from 3rd bottom of the leaguie, so things are finely balanced right now.

And Bassong warned they are not clear of relegation danger yet:

“We are very confident now. It’s too early to look at the top half.”

“We have just come out of the bottom and we have to concentrate on playing well every game, not our position.”

Good words from the young Frenchman.

It’s hard to see Bassong not being in the side, if he continues his rather consistently good form of the last 6 games or so, and it could mean an extended stay on the bench for local youngster Steven Taylor.

Upward and onward.

• Ausgeordie

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Get in there!

• Ausgeordie

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM

He has been a fantastic buy and even if he had a howler I would not want him to be replaced by Taylor. Injury is Taylors only hope.

• HAMMY14

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:35 AM

My thoughts exactly Seb. This lad has been solid since he has come into the squad a fantastic addition one of few that we made like and the great thing about him he can only get better.

• Punk Skunk

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Top player, top lad!..

…Keep it goin’ Seb, we love ya’!..

…Toon Toon!..

• Big Gaz

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Taylor having a sterling game against Stoke ??? The first thing he did was handball and give away a free kick…He sh*its himself everytime the ball comes to him..Yes he has made some (very few) good important tackels of late…but not every week like Bassong..and yes he may have a heart the size of a lion…but he is a bench player at best at the minute..

• Craig-Nufc

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:47 AM

i think although he is playing better than coloccini,
    he has gained alot of confidence playing with colo as he has so much experience.
    keep up the good work and get some more clean sheets!

• Ausgeordie

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:52 AM

This from Setanta

Charles N’Zogbia has dropped a bombshell on Newcastle United’s dressing room by stating he wants to move on during the January transfer window.

The 22-year-old thinks the time has come for him to embark on a new challenge, with Paris Saint Germain and Aston Villa rumoured to be highly interested in securing the Frenchman’s services.

N’Zogbia aims higher and claims that The Magpies cannot match his ambitions; as a consequence he has publically declared his intention to change clubs.

N’Zogbia told L’Equipe: “After four years at Newcastle I from now on wish to reach the next level in terms of ambition.

“I don’t think it’s possible here. I gave everything to this club and will carry on as long as I’m there, but I’d like to pass a stage by joining a bigger side.”

I hope this is bollocks

• Joe Aussie

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:59 AM

You have to seriously consider whether the fans would be shooting themselves in the collective foot (so to speak) by insisting that Dennis Wise is given the flick. Considering the players he is credited with bringing in,Bassong in particular,you can’t really fault the bloke.

• Punk Skunk

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:02 AM

There’s no way of knowin’ if the Zog ‘story’ is actually true or not!..
    …But personally, if it is, i don’t want any player at the Toon that doesn’t wanna be here, end of!..
    …No matter who that is!..

• Dec 23, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Sebastien is the BEST !!

• Spyro

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:01 PM

GUYS DO NOT FALL FOR THE ‘N’ZOGBIA NEWS TODAY, WHAT ARE THE CHANCES THIS COMES OUT THE NEXT MORNING AFTER OWEN RELEASED THAT STATEMENT? THE PRESS ARE TRYING TO UNSETTLE THE TEAM BY BRINGING UP COMMENTS MADE BY CHARLES IN THE PAST. THEY HAVE TRIED TO MAKE IT LOOK RECENT BY ADDING VILLA AND PSG TO THE EQUATION, BUT THE QUOTES ARE THE SAME ONES FROM AGES AGO. DO NOT FALL FOR IT, BASSONG CAME OUT JUST TODAY AND SAID ZOGGY IS HAPPY!

• Spyro

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:13 PM

By the way, Bassong is an amazing player and one of our best buys in the last 10 years.

• Stardust

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:53 PM

ED “But the game today is a squad game and Steven will get his chance again, certainly when he came on against Stoke City at right back, in the second half, he had a sterling game.”

What game were you watching at Stoke – everyone in the ground saw Taylor destroy the back line on his own – he made one flying tackle on the edge of the box – but the line was all over the place – do you want to go back to a flying tackle all over the place back line again.

The only thing taylor did against Stoke was show how poor he is, and how poor the back line plays with him in it.

• TORONTOON

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:32 PM

taylor is too unpredictable; one moment he makes a great tackle/interception, the next minute he gets turned at the center circle

watch and learn taylor boy.

• 4rm the pearl of Africa

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Sebastien is th new Desailly.
    How about a few goals from corners Seb? ( seriously, wen does our backline ever pitch in with goals) see what Lescott does for Toffees.

• Hunwick Mags

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:03 PM

hope he continues in the same vain ….. made a good start though keep going kid …… ho way the toon !!!!!

• Cypriot TOON

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Taylor who Bassong has made his way into the squad and wont be leaving it for a long time a rock at the back, hopefully we can make another 1-2 signings like this one a LB,CB. Mind u he was another wise signing not looking too bad the job the midget has done.