Beardsley and Moncur Firmly Behind Mike Ashley

Newcastle United legend Peter Beardsley has urged fans to support owner Mike Ashley as he tries to rehabilitate Newcastle United together with manager Joe Kinnear.

peter-beardsley_peter_19960811_sf_l

Peter Beardsley – while playing at Newcastle United

The billionaire businessman announced yesterday morning that not only had he taken the Newcastle United club off the market but he was going to stay on as owner.

Newcastle supporters are still not too sure about Ashley, but Peter Beardsley has urged them to get behind Ashley as he attempts to get rebuild the club:

Peter said:

“It’s good news. I have never had a problem with Mike Ashley.”

“He came here with the right intentions, and now with the transfer window about to open, hopefully it is good news for us.”

“He never wanted to leave this club. He always wanted to be here, he wants to be back among the fans, and hopefully he will get the chance to do that now.”

“I hope the fans react in the right way. I think it is very positive, I think it’s good news.” “We are a big club and we need a big owner, and he is certainly that.”

“When you look at all the foreign owners – and there are some good ones, don’t get me wrong – we have an English owner and that’s a great thing.”

“We can go forward now in a positive vein.” “They have brought some good youngsters in, and long may that continue.” “But the most important thing is the first team at the moment.”

“(Manager] Joe (Kinnear] is doing a brilliant job in that respect and we are moving up the league, which is a great thing.” “If we could get the academy on the back of that, that would be perfect.”

Beardsley’s sentiments were also supported by Bobby Moncur, the last Newcastle captain to lift a major trophy, back in 1969, when we won the then named Inter-City Fairs Cup, when Joe Harvey was manager.

bobby-moncur-32

Bobby Moncur – club needs stability

Bobby said:

“It’s a good thing. Stability is crucial at a football club and I think Mike has made the right decision.”

“If he goes one step further when he comes back and tells the fans exactly how things are going to be, I think he will find them a forgiving bunch.”

“Mike has to be praised for the fact he has put the club on a sound financial footing.”

“Maybe people can’t see the benefits of that at the moment, but over the next three or four years, that could be crucial for this club.”

We are just fed up with the last four months as the fans, the owner and the Newcastle Board have certainly not been pulling in the same direction, and the Newcastle club has suffered.

Mike can show what his intentions are, by backing Joe in the January transfer market, and if we can get in say 5 new players that would be a good start.

Another thing Mike can do immediately is to bring back Chris Mort as Chairman of the club, and if Chris is willing to do that on a long term basis, what is Mike waiting for?

So we’ll see where we end up at the end of January, but this is a good opportunity for Mike to show the fans his determination to turnaround Newcastle United.

• Daniel

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM

You seem overly hopeful about getting Mort back, I doubt he’ll want to come here so you can’t really critisize MA for that. However he does need more communication with fans.

• Gordon

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Well I’m still not sure about Ashley (irrespective of the mess he created previously).

Simply put, I want Newcastle to be the sort of team who would fully expect to beat the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U & Arsenal at home 9 times out of 10 (and have a good chance of at least taking a draw away too).

I want Newcastle to be realistically challenging for the league title and competing regularly in the Champions League. I want them to be picking up FA Cups and League Cups once in a while too.

We have fantastic support, a great ground and yet in my 45 years alive they’ve only won one trophy, and I was too young to remember them doing that.

I want Newcastle to be up there with the best of them.

To do that they need a top quality board structure, a top quality manager and of course money. And all that depends upon having a top quality owner with enough finances to make it happen.

Oh and I want us to play attractive football too.

Yep, I’m asking a lot but so what? Other teams manage to do it, so why not us? What exactly is stopping us? Whatever it is that’s stopping us needs to be removed.

I’m sick of us saying we can’t compete with the ‘big 4’ and our realistic best possible finish would be a 5 or 6 or 7 or whatever.

I want an owner who’ll make us a ‘big 4’ team and knock one of the others out, whatever it takes.

I’m not sure Ashley’s that man.

• craig chisholm

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:15 AM

i think that we will never be anything much under ashley or jkf alas. we need massive cash input and also a very good manager. we have neither it would seem. jfk is just ok, nothing more. so, having a just OK manager in a team with an owner who does not invest in first team players means we are shagged. for us to survive at the highest level with ashley we need a very good manager, someone who can work miricales and get the team playing well with zero transfer funds. who that may be, i have no idea.

• Macas

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:20 AM

We were £1 millon up in the summer, so I hope Ashley has the decency to release about £15 million for transfers, but I cant see it happening. He likes to talk the talk, but so far hasn’t backed up his words with actions. He deliberately misleads the fans and then spends next to nothing. He said we were going to ‘have fun’ this season – if getting thrashed 5-1 at home and flirting with relegation all season is fun then I guess he’s right.

• GOERDIE IN NORWAY

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:26 AM

as an owner of anything the buck stops with you. and then theres that saying if its not broke dont fix it! what if is broke? (very broke in our case). you have to change things .

change no1 should be chairman.
    he may be doing a wonderful job behind the scenes but we carnt see it.
    what ive seen from our chairman is a man who plays childish games. (its not my fault its his keegans then hides from us) never says anything positive.
    change no 2.. denis rat face wise.
    give him his due his signings seem to be beter than ok. but he carnt pick and choose who he should buy and sell with no imput from the manager. im still anoyed with milner leaving.
    yes we got good money for but money isnt everything.
    and then theres joe

imo he has done an ok job just to steady the ship that was fast sinking, but the guy will never take us into the top 6 and thats a fact.
    he insists on playing shola and he is not good enough(why was it that only championship sides came in for him, cos thats his level)
    with that squad most of us would be able to do waht he has done.
    phil brown has done better with a worse squad, thats a good manager.
    and no i dont want him
    mike has some big changes to make for 2009 to prove he has the club at heart.

best of luck mike

• GOERDIE IN NORWAY

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Gordon
    well said

but the top 4? why?

96/97/98.
    we where top 2.

thats where we should be aiming

• ObaMartins

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Ashley is staying because the Credit Cruch dictates he stays, Even his attemps to sell this Great Club have been a laughing Stock, going to the middle east to sell a Club them getting blind drunk….You lot who seem to think its OK for him to carry on regardless as long as he puts a few £££ in deserve what you get which is Laughed at by Ashley and Co “Joke Kinnear” what a manager …lmfao has he ever once apologized for any of the Crap he has caused US ? as the saying goes “birds of a feather flock together” enjoy Assley and Co you SHEEP

• Bosamuelson

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Hello all,

Gordon, I share your view, however I disagree with you saying that MA and JK are not the people to push us forward.

The way I see it at the moment is that we are merely a midtable team (just), however, this season, probably the most competitive ever in all areas both bottom and top, can go either way. I pretty certain we won’t go down and always hopeful of Europe.

But that aside and back to Ashley, I have to say I cannot see past him as being a good thing for Newcastle. With the past behind us and Janurary approaching I think Ashley will step up.

It will take time for any team to build a squad. What we done in the summer was not enough granted but it was positive and the players brought in were better than what we had before. The last run of form I think showed that.

The players being mentioned like Veloso etc. are not worth mentioning. We have to find our own supper players at a young age. No more high wages and big signings.

There is a simple reason, look at our history in signing players, Kluiverts, Viduka, Owen, all on big money none wanting to play.

The younger players Bassong, Gutherie, Lua Lua, Carroll are all fearless and all have something to prove. I think this is the way to go. Then when we are in Europe we can start looking at other players.

The bigger players that one needs to sign to become Cup and Championship winners. All the teams qualifying for Europe have built a team and then add gradually to it. Everton, Aston Villa. The top 4 done that along time ago and now have the pulling power and financial background do sign big players. Carrick, Boswinger (Sp?), Berbatov, Keane.

Time it will take, longer if were not together, and quicker if we back players, manager the boardand fundamentally the owner because after all its he that has the final say on the Cash.

I think we will be ok and we will be smiling come the summer and beyond.

Regards

PS sorry for some of the anti-KK comments and any abusive comments I may have posted. Although my views on KK etc are still standing. Agression is not the way to tell people about it.

Hadrian I’ll take you on today tho 😉

Hello to both Beyethegreat and Spyro

• Gordon

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Bosamuelson,

You make some good points.

I agree it takes time to build a successful squad and I’m all for giving the owner/manager time.

But I’d like to know if MA is truly committed to making us league champions. Can he in fact afford to? Does he have the wherewithal?

Personally I think 41 years is long enough without a trophy for a club like Newcastle and I’m a bit fed up of ‘accepting’ our predicament rather than actively trying to change it and foster some true ambition to go right to the top.

• nightfall

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:09 PM

i just hope ashley has about 20 mil to spend..hope the financial crisis didn’t effect him that much…

i read that abramovic has lost about 20 billion in the last 2 years (divorce and crisis)…

• craig chisholm

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:15 PM

you lot really need to forget about top half finish. we are in a relegation battle and there is no getting away from it lads. we are right down there, plus we have no players, key injuries, owen is leaving so he dont care anymore and will not be doing much for the cause now, he will be preotecting himself. we have an owner who has spent nothing but gobs off about pushing for top four. My hopes for us this season would be – stay in the prem and then get a real manager in, in the summer with some decent investment.

• craig chisholm

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:17 PM

ashleys half yearly results (sportsworld) showed profits and sales up by 8% – in other words – multi millions extra profit, plus the profit out of our club too. he can afford it, he just wont thats all.

• Ericles

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:33 PM

What are Beardsley and Moncur looking for? A seat on the gravy train? You may be NUFC heroes but what you have come out with is shite!
    Ashley and Wise and Co are no true freinds either of NUFC, Newcastle itself, or of Geordies elsewhere. Ashley has shown his true colours and they are not black and white! Peter and Booby both played for NUFC. I want to know whose side are they on now? Should be ashamed of themselves.

• Ericles

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Sorry Bobby I meant Bobby not Booby.

• Bosamuelson

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Ericles-jog on

• Stardust

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Ericles

Maybe the one who should be looking in the mirror and asking questions of themselves is you.

• Jackie

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:54 PM

I find it a bit strange that Beardsley has has come out twice in recent times to support Ashley. I don’t recall PB having much to say (or maybe just not getting the same amount of attention) on other issues in the past.

• Guinea Mag

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:22 PM

MA will need to spend money in January if he wants the Newcastle fans to for give him. The current squad is too small and we are in serous trouble with the current injury situation at the club.

Something tells me MA will buy the required 4 to 5 quality players needed to push us up the PL.

If Chris Mort returns as chairman of the club, that would be the icing on the cake…..

• joss

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I attended a talk in where Pedro was the main attraction.

He’s on the Ashley payroll and stated his aligence to him, despite not having much contact with him (he got a phone call from him thanking him for his support before he left the Toon).

He said that MA didn’t purposely come to the Toon to waste money, and also said that Keegan KNEW he wouldn’t have the final say on transfers.

When asked where KK was currently, he had no idea.

He lost a lot of cred by saying this in my eyes, as it was Wise and co who said at the time KK had final say on transfer matters.
    It seems that Pedro worships the mighty dollar more than past managers/team mates.

• ObaMartins

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Ericles i agree with you, nice piece, most of the Plastic supporters on here have Never even been to a match,Kevin Keggan was Pushed Out the door, Sir Bobby, Alan Shearer,Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsen wenger plus many more Top footballing people have stated they Could or would not Work with Ashley, then to Top it all he brings in the Only Manager pathetic enough to accept the job on month to month basis, a manager NO one Wanted for 4 year..lol Joke Kinnear….you lot are having a Laugh

• Jackie

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Joss, that’s what it certainly looks like. I hope not because he was possibly the best player I have ever seen at Newcastle and I’ve seen one or two decent ones.

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:49 PM

i’m not listening to bobby moncur anymore. he used to promise me signed footballs n all sorts and i never got any of it. still bitter, haha.

• Phil,Gosforth

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Ericles #13.Spot on,saved me typin it.

Beardo -wtf yapping like a lap dog.Toon legend,yes.Best brit midfielder Ive seen,yes.Absolute bloody blind idiot,yes.

“We are a big club and we need a big owner, and he is certainly that.”
    If you mean fat,then you are correct.If you mean rich and ambitious,then your deluded.

Sick of the “sound financial footing” bollox too.The debt is still owed to him,money that comes in will be taken to pay the debt.You think he’s gonna chuck in £100m and say there ya go?We saved interest,that’s about it.We had to pay for that however by having the smallest,weakest squad for a long time.We make less money now,in terms of gate/merchandising income and prize money.What little makes will NOT go back into the club.So Mike Ashley has come in and ” steadied the ship” at the cost of the first team ,any success for the club,entertainment for the fans and our world-wide reputation.Yeah,the man’s been great for NUFC….