David Edgar Gives Solid Display and Goal Against Liverpool

It was a huge game for 21 year-old David Edgar yesterday, and his mother Christine, who had traveled from their native Canada to see the game – at least saw her son score a very good goal from a corner by Danny Guthrie just before half time, which momentarily had Newcastle back in the game – but then came the second half.

david-edgar-2.jpg

David Edgar – looked quite solid at right back yesterday

David usually starts games nervously,  but not yesterday as in the first 10 minutes he looked confident and put in some good passes at right back.

At the end his inexperience at this level cost us a goal as he brought down David Ngog in the box for a penalty, which is the 8th we’ve given away this season – what’s going on here?

His goal had come in first-half injury time, the defender heading a Danny Guthrie corner past Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina to put the score at 2-1 and give Newcastle fans some slim hope for the second half.

But of course we shipped another 3 goals after the break so it wasn’t to be.

David talked after the game:

“It was a day of mixed emotions for me,” “It was incredible to score against Liverpool, who are another big team, but it’s bittersweet because of the result.”

“To be honest I don’t score too many headers – it’s not a big thing for me. It was a good finish for me, and I was ecstatic.”

“My dad was here for the Man U goal, but he couldn’t make it this year.”

Of course it was January 2007 that David played at St. James’ Park against Man United in the 2-2 draw, and he scored Newcastle’s second goal in that game, with a great shot from outside the penalty area, and of course he well remembers that goal as he continued:

“It’s almost two years to the day, and I had that in my mind – I was joking with my sister before the game that I’d wear a T-shirt before the game with ‘That’s for you, mum’.”

“She’d never seen me play at St James’s before, and she was more nervous than me, to be honest. It’s good to have them here, and I got a goal for them.”

“We weren’t happy with the way we defended our set pieces, or the way we defended overall.”

“It was difficult to take, and conceding a penalty was hard for me personally.”

This will be good experience for young Edgar, and it’s interesting in our poll for Man of the Match that David is curently second behind the great Shay Given, who seems to be getting better and better at Newcastle.

We expect David to get another chance this Saturday in the FA Cup at Hull City, and the lad learns quickly and he also has a very good temperament, and will be listening closely to what the Newcastle coaching staff (Joe and Chris) tell him this week.

He’ll take that all in, and we look forward to a solid performance from David at Hull, with no penalties given away this time.

• Toon Graeme

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Im glad that one of our young lads has the chance on the first team. Lua Lua had a good run out yesterday too.

Hull are not the side they were at the beginning of the season. Phil Brown said earlier in the month his main concern was prem survival. Lets see what JFK does on Sat.

• Ohmelads

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:21 PM

straws…….grasping at. We were cr@p

• beyethegreat

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:23 PM

well shay given was amazing

surprising to say that considering we lost 5-1

it shows how poor we were

surely given is best in the prem

• Dan157

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:23 PM

He never seems to do much wrong when he plays. I have a feeling though that he will be gone at the end of the season in pursuit of regular football. Did anyone else hear that Alan Oliver is retiring after today. A nice final match report he has as well.

• Bosamuelson

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:36 PM

I think this is proof that things are moving in the right direction.

I really hope he gets to play against Hull.

I’m a fan of JK, however I was a little annoyed that he didnt start Carroll. Ameobi was injured, JK said this morning. The why play him?

It was nce Lua lua played too.

These young players are Hungry and by introducing them through injury to first team players and getting cammeo roles as subs willl help development.

What is the state of our Left Back in the reserves. Is it Kadar? Surely with the injury to JE we should be playing him. He is young but look at Middlesbrough they play kids sometimes and have been applauded for their accademy. Maybe our accademy can produce these ‘kids’.

By playing N’Zog in Left Winger and saying to him help and talk to the incoming youngster, this will also help develop N’Zogbia. Giving him a little responsibility too.

He will be desperate to shine because a jersey is up for grabs look what happened to Bssong. He will have bad games but that is part of learning. You have to stick by these youngsters and support them!

• beyethegreat

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:38 PM

i agree with this article but for different reasons

yesterday was ment to be sir bobby’s dayand the anouncement over shadowed it

• neil09

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Good afternoon folks

As we’re in the market for a new left back, what about Royston Drenthe from Real Madrid (or is he more of a left winger?) I only mention him as i saw that an EPL club were after him on loan.

• cause I got the girth

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Dont know which match he was playing at cause i cant remember him even being on the pitch yesterday! Like the rest of the team, torn apart and taught a lesson.
    Edgar = average!
    Sorry, but its the truth!

• Bosamuelson

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Beyethegreat

I agree but please dont show support for such a paper.

They couldnt give a **** (starts with F), it is purley pubblished to shed bad light on the owner and cause fans (aka Hadrian etc) to kick up more rubbish by the MA out campaign.

But true it was bad timing.

• Beadleshand

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:55 PM

He’s an average player who makes mistakes every game – the lad did ok yesterdat and scored a good goal.
    Lets not forget it was poor play for him to give the penalty away – the lad was going nowhere.

• normag

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:04 PM

I think Edgar played very well! It wasn’t on liverpools left most of their attacking play happened. Conceding that penalty he showed a little bit of inexperience though…

• chris

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:05 PM

what game were you watching?? it really shows how our youth system cant produce when we play centre halves out of position to mend a gap. where are our young full backs? bassong back asap. him and collocini have the best understanding.

• rafa benitez

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:54 PM

he was crap

• heavyhitters

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:07 PM

He played well I felt and what made a difference was he received good cover from Guiterrez as opposed to no cover when he last played from Geremi. I do remember him scoring a great header yesterday too. If he is to leave and I do expect it, think about this, He is a 21 year old kid with little first team experience, playing out of position and had a scan 2 weeks back so he is not match fit. He is also on peanuts compared to the likes of Taylor yet he is often made a scapegoat no matter how he plays. I hope he leaves to develop his career asap. That poor penalty decision was his only real error and none of the goals from open play came down the left flank so all in all I feel he did well.

• Bosamuelson

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Heavyhitters, here here, well said

• Alex

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:47 PM

neil09 drenthe is a fullback who is not that great at defending , good going forward though . We could do better than him .

• AndrewNUFC

Dec 29, 2008 at 5:38 PM

He was OK, nothing special. I was at the game yesterday and our whole defense was shocking, Edgar isnt Prem quality for me.

• GEORDIE69

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Edgar is NOT good enough for Newcastle United. Yes the lad tries hard but thats not enough. He is Peter Ramage mark 2!

• JONNY

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:11 PM

i’m sorry but after conceding 5 goals we cant give any of our defenders credit.

coloccini was suprisingly poor, he has been immense with bassong though

• Rem

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:57 PM

He did well for a young player, but i still think he was a little out his depth, but that understandable going from reserve to liverpool! lol