Fagan Has Forgiven Guthrie For That Tackle

On Saturday 13 September 2008, Hull City’s Craig Fagan suffered a broken tibia after being on the end of what was rightly described as a horrific tackle by Newcastle United midfielder Danny Guthrie.

craig-fagan1

Craig Fagan – now thankfully recovered from broken tibia

Guthrie was sent off in the incident, which occurred during the closing stages of Hull’s 2-1 victory at St James’ Park, and it was the result of 21 year-old Guthrie letting the frustrations get the better of him.

There was no excuse for the tackle but hopefully the matter will now be behind both players as Hull City meet Newcastle in the 3rd round of the FA cup tomorrow at the impressive KC Stadium.

Craig Fagan said today:

“It’s happened, there’s nothing I can do about it now,”

“There’s no point in me going out there to do the same to him, that’s not going to benefit me in any way.”

“I want to get myself back to the form I was at before I got injured and concentrate on my own game.”

“When the draw was made my dad said we might get Newcastle, and that’s how weird football can be with the twists of fate.”

“I’m just looking at it as another game of football. I need to get games under my belt to get back into the Premier League team.”

It is tackles like the one made by Guthrie that can end the careers of professional footballers, and Guthrie served his 3 match suspension, and hopefully will have learned from the experience.

And Fagan seems to have forgiven the former Liverpool player, but Danny is likely to find the home crowd tomorrow not so forgiving, and they will no doubt have a few boos for him, when he gets the ball.

Fagan continued:

“I know our fans obviously won’t give him an easy time, but all my focus is on my own game,”

“The tackle was one borne out of frustration. I’ve seen it again on numerous occasions and it’s disappointing because of how I was playing.”

“It’s been 15 weeks that I’ve been out and it’ll be hard to get back into the manager’s plans, but if I can keep working hard, I’m sure I can get my form back.”

Guthrie was completely at fault for the tackle he made against Fagan right at the end of that game, as he ran after Fagan, down the touch line, to make the tackle.

Kevin Keegan had just left Newcastle, and at that time Hull City were felt to be an easy touch, although they proved to be a good team and made a great start to the season.

So Newcastle were frustrated, as were the crowd, that Newcastle were losing that game, and of course after the Hull City game Newcastle went on to lose the next  four games in succession,  before Joe Kinnear arrived at the club, to right the situation a little.

Guthrie served out his ban from the FA, and the 21 year old seems to have learned from his lack of composure.

But we think both players have handled the situation surprisingly well, and nothing should happen on Saturday, other than perhaps Guthrie wish Fagan the very best for his future – before the game.

These things happen in football, but both players seem to have put it behind them, and we’re more than pleased to see Craig back again playing for Hull City, although as he says he’s finding it hard to get back in the manager’s plans.

Craig has just returned back to Hull City this year, after being away at Derby County for a short while.

• tooner

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I wudnt be to suprised if he gace guthrie a couple of kicks.

• tooner

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I wudnt be to suprised if he gave guthrie a couple of kicks.

• Dan13

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:07 PM

To be honest I don’t really know what to comment,
    I commented as it happened earlier in the season.
    I just want to see Newcastle go out there with some fighting spirit for once, I wouldn’t be so upset if we go beat with dignity, but thats the thing; we have few players at the club who give a ‘toss’.
    Heres hoping anyways…

• ed_speed

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:15 PM

heres hoping for a performance against the hull(k?)

regards,
    edward speed

p.s ‘mon the lads

• beyethegreat

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:18 PM

dan 13
    do u blame them
    what you said there is what most fans say

but they dont actually mean it for example we have a player called alan smith who

“gives a toss”

but isnt performing well and veery1hates him and he was even booed at the valencia match

our fans will give it the “all i want is a 100%”

but all that is bollox

• ed_speed

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:22 PM

the the great isnt so now, he’s injured.

regards,
    ed

• Alex

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:22 PM

would it not be great in the first 5 minutes tomorrow , if after being booed by their fans ( and he will be ) he picks the ball up in midfield and launches a 25 yard screamer into the net 🙂 and it turned out to be the winner .
    HOWAY THE LADS LETS GET A CUP RUN GOING

• C'est moi

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Sounds like he is going to get a ‘reception’ tomorrow.

Would have been nice to get 1 player in before tomorrow, but I guess that wish petered out

• sweendog

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I reckon a 2 – 0 win .. with bassong back the defence will be solid ..they’ll attack and be wide open for Owen to get the sucker punches ..
    Howay the Lads..

Also I hope that meetting with Kinnear and Given spelled out a few things about transfers this Jan .. and that if Given does stay that there will be investment, we sure as hell need it.

• joe-newcastle-fan

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:34 PM

how funny would it be if in the game at some point in a purely accidental challenge guthrie broke fagans other leg lol

• Dan13

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM

nahh its just i’m sick of being at every home game and seeing us not even try.
    What I meant was… if we play with a bit if spirit we can achieve, you don’t need the best in the world to do that.
    Christ, look at Turkey in the Euro’s; massive underdogs all throughout!

Yeahh anyways here’s hoping for a result tomorrow and a fresh start for 09. 🙂

• Dan13

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Oh and can I just add,
    despite him being a mackem, I have massive respect to Phil Brown and for everyhting he’s achieved over the course of this season.

(I suppose I could also use Hull as an example of a team that play with their heart on their sleeves)

• Incognito

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Fagan spent the whole of that match getting sly kicks and digs in on our players, diving, mouthing off at the ref’ – it was no surprise to see one of our younger players losing it and trying to knock 7 shades of… pap out of him. I was getting p***** off at him just as a spectator, so yeah, I think he deserved it and hats off to Guthrie – but don’t do it again.

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:01 PM

dont think anyone can say he deserved 4 months on the touchline, and fair play to him because the tackle was a shocking one. Alot like the tackles cattermole has been making on our lads that we’ve been fuming about in recent weeks!

Looks like Guthrie is gonna get a hard time tomorrow though. Obviously gonna take a bit of an ear bashing, one or two of them might leave a foot in here and there but he’s gotta expect that to be honest.