Kinnear Doubts Validity Of Kennedy Statement

Joe Kinnear has talked to Sky Sports today and he says he doubts the validity of the statement made by Shay Given’s lawyer, Michael Kennedy this morning.

joe-kinnear-465762

Joe Kinnear – doubts validity of statement from lawyer

Joe said he immediately met with Shay Given this morning and they had coffee for about 30 minutes in Kinnear’s office, and Joe said he was pleased with what he heard from Shay.

Shay then started his training this morning and had a very good training session according to Joe.

Joe said today:

“I’m not sure of the facts that he [Kennedy] has said that or how it’s been interpreted, but what I will say is Shay is contracted until 2011,”

“He is our player and he is going to stay our player, it’s as simple as that. We are not interested at all [in selling him].”

“I want to clear that up- that is probably the last time I will be talking about it.”

Arsene Wenger also denied either making an £8M bid for Given and when asked if he was interested in the player, Arsene said:

“Shay Given is a very good player but we are not looking for a goalkeeper.”

It’s good news, if indeed Kennedy’s statement is not valid, because it means that Shay doesn’t want to leave the club, after the disturbing news this morning.

Joe also said Newcastle’s main targets in the transfer market were not being made available in January by their clubs , so Newcastle would move on to look at other players.

Loan deals must also be a good possibility for the club.

Joe also made an interesting statement saying that some Premier league clubs could be in difficult financial situations right now, but that was not true of  Newcastle United.

Joe said the club did not have one penny of debt.

That’s good news because we keep reading of different amounts that we might still owe, but according to Kinnear this morning the debt is zero – nothing.

Some good news for a change.

• cause I got the girth

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:17 PM

the main targets arnt available ehh, will be very interested to see who we bring in like! Still optimistic though!

• C'est moi

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I read somewhere (from another forum) that we are interested in two youngsters.

Can anyone privide me with names or links to the players or article?

Cheers

• andyc290

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Good news about Given, although 6-8m would be good money for a 33 year old and weve got plenty of cover in Krul and Harper, we’d miss Givens commitment and professionalism.

I do doubt whether Kinnears got a clue about the financial situation at the club. He contradicts himself alot. Lets just hope he knows what hes on about in playing and coaching department

• joe-newcastle-fan

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:20 PM

i wont be satissfied Given is actually staying until he comes out and says it or he is playing for us during february and beyond. JK obviously wants him to though, but then again Keegan wanted to keep Milner ! will just have to wait and see if a transfer request comes in over the next few weeks but when it comes down to it hopefully shay will remember why he loves the club enough to stay for 11 years. God knows how a clean sheet against Hull would help this situation.

• Robby Bobson

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Fact is Milner went for 12 million which was ridiculous price and obviusly we were unable to get the targets to replace him at the end of the window.

with given he is best in the premier league but harper is also top 5 imo, and if 8 milllion can be reinvested in midfield i wouldnt mind.

Teamtalk claims we are lookin at Barry Ferguson. Not too bad, but nothing overwhelming.

• simon

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:26 PM

I am very pessemistic, I am very worried, I don not trust a word that comes out of JK’s mouth. He spouts of all this crap and then contradicts himself, or is proved to have misled us.

I would not be at all suprised to find players sold, given maybe. I do not expect to see any decent signings coming in, if there was ambition we would have put in a bid for bridge.

A possible swap for bale with given would be the best of a worst case situation.

I think the sooner we all accept that we are not a club that will be oushing up the table the better. Mid table mediocrity for the foreseeable, no wonder we have owen and given eyeing moves to clubs who are lower than us in the table, because while we have the joke of cashley and his croons in toon, they have the ability and backing to move forward where all I can see is us stagnating at best. When JFK is wating to sign shola, butt to new deals, does this not strike anyone else as what the intentions of the board are? Does anyone think that shola is worth a deal? I want xisco to at least get on the pitch before we all write him off.

I am negative yes, but experience speaks!”

• nando

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:30 PM

just got an email from a customer who says that defoe is signing for spurs for 12 million, given is going to city for 9 million and bellamy is also off to city.

• Rich Y

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Shay has been a proper pro throughout his career with us…

why would this change now?

He would say something? He wouldn’t be speaking to his people in order for them to make his issues public surely? I’d like to think he’d come straight out, if not to the fans but to JK making a serious transfer req. All this cloak and daggers stuff is hardly what we’d expect from Shay.

Afterall, and beyond any other comment he is a VERY decent bloke.

What does anyone think?
    I’m I blind to the truth of all greedy premiership players?

Comments welcome…!

• beyethegreat

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:37 PM

nando

i dont believe that

k bellamy maybe going to citeh

u s maybe getting defoe

but i doubt given is going to citeh

i am ot sayin it wont happen just i doubt it has happenned yet

• reillers

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:38 PM

If Kinnear says that Given isn’t going anywhere, and if he has says that to Given, then I think the wee lad will just except that, he’s not unhappy in the sense as he doesn’t like it here, but in the sense that we’re going backwards.

But I tell ya if all of this, if the statement wasn’t really valid, if Given has no intention of leaving and we’ve no intention of selling him then this, all of this hysteria has been for nothing.
    In the space of a couple of hours, when the news broke at like 12.00 last night till a few hours ago, I’ve rarely seen such hysteria, but that’s what the wee lad means to the club.

• beyethegreat

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:39 PM

rich y

agreed

• Spyro

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:40 PM

nando

How reliable is your source? I wouldnt mind Given going for 9million. It is the absolute LEAST i would accept though. Would rather around 11 or 12million.

• Rob Lee

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:40 PM

nando, where he hear that?

• reillers

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Rich Y:
    I agree. Over the years Given has always been our most straight, honest speaking player. He’s always been straight up. If he’s got an oppinion he tends to say it and it’s usually bang on to be fair.
    Even when it came to saying that you wouldn’t expect it from a Sunday Pub team, or our defence was worse then a Sunday Pub team..something like that anyway.
    He’s always been straight up and honest. And I think if he was thinking of leaving he would have said it himself.
    And that’s why I’m questioning how much we should take from the statement.
    He’s an honest genuinely nice lad, a complete gent. He is not one of those spoilt modern day players.
    And he’s the only one of our players who tend to earn their wage week in week out.
    And he didn’t ask for a transfer request either, and there are no direct comments from Shay either and he knows better then the fact to base anything on rumours like Spurs, City, Arseanl link.
    The more I think about it, the more I question the validity of the statement.

• reillers

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM

AND the fact that the statement was only given to the Daily Mail and nothing on the actual NUFC site itself and such. I just, I don’t buy it. The more I think about it, I don’t buy it.

• Rich Y

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Computer says no….

• Rich Y

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:50 PM

the statement was in the Mail???

gees…

wtf!

computer defo says NO!

• chuck

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:53 PM

It`s a relief to hear Shea intends to stay.
    Though with so called fans like this club has (the majority of those commenting on this blog would like to sell him) I would`nt blame him for going.
    It`s always tough to attract players to a team in turmoil, so no big surprise if we have difficulty recruiting the type of players needed at the club .
    However I would like to see some decent reinforcements arrive, as they are badly needed.
    Hope we dont end up buying for the sake of additional number, by that I mean what we should be looking at are younger players who will have a future here not guys we intend to use for a season then discard.

• reillers

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM

The amount of hysteria and it could well be over nothing.
    Kinda like when Keegan left. Mass panic, or like when I was living in Cork, 3 massive strikes in 6 years, so much panic and hysteria lol.

Anyway, if it’s nothing, if this was just some pathetic media botch up from the English press looking to cause massive panic on the streets of Newcastle then they succeeded and we are all idiots. All of that for nothing.

• Rich Y

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM

chuck…

you are wrong. we don’t want to sell him…

but, if we were offered 12m we’d take it.
    we also appreciate that Shay deserves better.

• Toon_Ksk

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:01 PM

The only team looking for a top goalie is Man City I guess. Gomes look settled at Spurs and Almunia is doing great at Arsenal, so if Man City wants Given, then do it.

However, if Casillas and Buffon are valued so highly by Man City, I would value Given at that range as well. Ashley’s wallet going to get fatter.

• craig chisholm

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:02 PM

none of it makes ant sense. why on earth would givens lawyer just say a pack of lies for no reason without instruvtion from his client?? its bollocks, given wants to test the transfer waters to see if anyone comes in for him. the whole thing is riddled with our customary lies and bullshit that seem to surround the club on a daily basis.

• craig chisholm

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM

plus it would be nice if given came out and said something wouldnt it?? he knows there is alot of shit flying around – why is he keeping his gob shut.

• reillers

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:08 PM

And why is it his lawyer saying it. Things aren’t adding up here. I think this could be just one big bullshit story some idiot made up in the pub.

• reillers

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:10 PM

I’d say the wee lad will probably say something tomorrow.

• reillers

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Accordings to one (of many) of Given’s brothers he’s not going anywhere. How much that means I don’t know but he tends to be pretty close to his family and every decision he makes tends to go through them before a final decision is made.

• MDS

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:25 PM

@Craig.

Spot on. Agents don’t make statements like that unless instructed to do so by his client. He’s clearly trying to drum up interest.

I say let him go- but not for 8M. 12M or he can stay as far as I’m concerned.

• reillers

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:33 PM

But he’s not his agent.

• bill

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:37 PM

If Shay Given gets a chance to leave NUFC he should take it. He has been let down by the club time after time, just like the rest of us.

He is lucky, in that Newcastle isn’t his home town club like for some of us. We have no option but to support the club no matter what shite they serve up.

However, I still won’t go back to SJP until Ashley has gone, roll on the summer.

One last thing – notice we have now taken another step back on the transfer front because our real targets are not available until the summer.

It is absolutely pathetic, do they really think that we thought that we were going to buy anyone in any case. I said it weeks ago – all we will get in are loans.

They are bloody pathetic.

• ed_speed

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:39 PM

mike ashley = the cheshire cat.

need more be said?

regards,
    ed

i posted this on an earlier page. after much thought and analysis, i can confirm that no, no more need be said.

regards,
    ed

• reillers

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:46 PM

From that article there..

“Fabien Delph is also on the club’s radar, and could essentially follow in the footsteps of Alan Smith and Eric Cantona. ”

..Ya..Smith and Cantona..the same thing. LOL!!

• beyethegreat

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM

i would love it if we got delph though i have never seen him people say he is good

• TonyGreenSupreme

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM

JFK is full of crap, I do not believe a word that comes out of his fat mouth. He is nothing more than Ashley’s puppet, the pair of them a stringing everyone along.

• oga

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:53 PM

ASHLEY OUT

KINNEAR OUT

• buddy

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:55 PM

cheers ed, jus neeeded confirmation. check my post after yours on d last article!!

nando,
    my friend e-mailed me there. his cousins wifes dog used to be owned by daniel levy. this dog is usually quite reliable, he even predicted spurs losing to newcastle. he says that woodgate is comin to nufc for 2 mill, then butt is goin wigan for 10 mill and bramble is goin to you guys for a mega 15 mill.

cheers

• Spyro

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Beyethegreat

Delph is another overrated English player and wouldn’t help at all in our current situation. We need a proper DM and versatile defender and we will be fine.

• ed_speed

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:58 PM

alrite buddy ed here (ed speed)

how are you keeping still raking in the poon i assume?

regards,
    ed

• Partizan

Jan 2, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Spyro…..Don’t know if you remember Gerardo Torrado,who was one of the best DM’s in the world in 2002/2003.

I think he still has a lot to offer and he’s only 29 and could come very cheap,i remember in 2002 Barca was after him but they pulled out cos Sevilla was demanding around 15-17 mill at that time.

• ObaFan2

Jan 2, 2009 at 9:07 PM

nando being a Richard Head again!

You should concern yourself with you’re own rubbish team.

1 2 3 6