Danny Guthrie Growing Up On Tyneside

Danny Guthrie was always going to get a hostile reception from the Hull City fans after Danny had broken Craig Fagan’s leg in the home league game against Hull City with a reckless tackle late in the game.

danny-guthrie-431

Danny Guthrie – terrific buy for Newcastle

It turns out that Chris Hughton had asked the 22-year-old and Nicky Butt to keep it very tight in the middle of the park, and that’s exactly what they did on Saturday to contribute to a solid display from the lads.

Hughton told the Shield’s Gazette today:

“Danny kept his focus very much and played his football,” “He’s a good professional. He knows these things happen in football, and you’re going to get some crowds that go for us, and some are going to be against you.”

“He was very vocal and focused, and involved in most things. Central midfield was a big area when I looked what they had with Marney breaking on and Geovanni dropping in there at times.”

“What we needed from Nicky Butt and Danny Guthrie was to have a very focused and solid performance.”

“I felt Danny could perhaps have done a little better on his set plays, but he’s shown great quality in the last few games.”

In fact it was also Craig Fagans’ first start since that game at St. James’ Park, and we thought both lads handled the situation extremely well.

Guthrie served a three-game suspension for violent behavior following his red card, but the youngster seems to have put that behind him, learned from the experience and is continuing to learn his trade with Newcastle.

And that’s just exactly what the youngster should be focusing on, and along with Seb Bassong the question about young Danny is just how good can he become at Newcastle?

The youngster has already put in 18 appearances for Newcastle this season, including 16 starts and he has two goals, not a bad start at all to his Newcastle United career. Another great acquisition for us in the summer.

Keep it up Danny boy.   😀

• Turkish Magpie

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:11 PM

great buy

• Toon_Sydney

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:15 PM

^^^^^^^ nuff said

hopefully barton can have good combo with him

• Dan157

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:15 PM

We are screwed in that CM area if anything happens to him. He practically had to carry Butt through that Hull game. Would be nice to see him play alongside Kazenga against West Ham. If the lad doesnt get a chance whe we only have 1 other fit central midfielder then he never will.

• Dan157

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Toon_Sydney

I think Barton is out til March and i have a feeling he will be sold in the summer. No way will we pay him 75k a week in wages for 5 games a season because of injury and jail terms.

• BT9MAG

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Yeah I’d like to see Kazenga play, but to be honest, I reckon (if injuries don’t change it) it’ll be zog and guthrie in the middle, Jonas and Duff out wide…

• JonnyNUFC

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Might have had more of a chance if he hadnt had to do Butts work aswell.

The lad was shattered by half time because hed been doing the running for both of them, going fowards and backwards !

• bowburnmag

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I saw some amusing suggestions the other day that he could become the new Stevie Gerrard. Sorry like, he’s a great kid and not a bad footballer at all but sometimes we don’t half heap expectations on our kids. There’s as much chance of me becoming the new Gerrard Depardieu. Having got my wit out of the way, in fairness, he’s a another bright point amongst all the other nonsense going on. I just hope he can learn to force the play a bit more and can contribute goals from cenre midfield. Something we’ve been sorely missing for a while now.

• Partizan

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I’m suprised how none of the big teams haven’t made an offer for Guilherme from Cruzeiro.
    The best AM in Brazil if you ask me,i reckon that 12 mill would be enough to get him.
    In 3 years this kid will worth 25 mill at least.

• Dan157

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:37 PM

bowburnmag

i think it’s something we have been missing since rob lee left.

• Dan157

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:37 PM

or maybe dyer when he was fit.

• bowburnmag

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Dan157 – it’s exactly what we’ve been missing and since Rob’s goals dried up we’ve been found wanting. We’ve never forced the play through the middle except perhaps occasionally when we stuck Dyer in. Even Bowyer who was renowned for it, never drove the play through the middle or got past the forwards.

• Ericles

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Guthrie and Zog in the middle would be a good combination. Between them they would add vitality to the midfield, especially as Bassong behind them is starting to do so well. We still need back-up for the FB’s (if not everywhere apart from goal). Sell to buy? That is one hell of a risk. What happens if JK sells to raise cash and then cannot get quality additions? This is the ludicrous position Ashley and Wise are putting JK in – a la KK? Up to the fans to be positive and get behind the lads for a cup run and move up the table as from now. Guthrie was a good acquisition and was one of KK’s was he not?

• bowburnmag

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Dan157 – jinx. Took me a while to post and I see you beat me to it. Precisely. In recent tears, we’ve relied on forcing the play through big centre forwards, down the wings or occasionally with the diminutive Bellamy. I’d love to see a strong runner in the middle. Mix it up a little.

• Whumpie

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:54 PM

bowburnmag – I think I was one of the people mentioning Gerrard. BUT I didn’t necessarily mean he could be as good as Gerrard (doubt it, but never say never) – just that he could be the man to do a similar job for NUFC if he keeps developing as he is.

I totally agree with the Rob Lee thing – we having been crying out for a CM who has an instinct to just blast through and tw*t the ball at the goal as soon as there’s a gap. Not sure Guthrie will ever have the same power as Rob or Steve G, but I think he’s got the necessary spark.

• bowburnmag

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Whumpie – well if it was you pal then you should know I was just being facetious and I know exactly what you mean. I’m not covinced his natural instinct is the same as their’s though and it’s not really something you can do as effectively through learning as you could if it comes naturally. However, I’m very much in agreement about never-say-never. Who knows? Be nice if he shoved my opinions up my schneck.

• Whumpie

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Does anyone know which position Lua Lua is playing in the reserves most of the time? When I saw him he was out wide, but if he could play CM going forward, I think we have some possibilities there…

• John

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Guthrie is unquestionably a great player and equally will improve. Everything about this lad suggests that we have a player in the Rob Lee mode and proves the keen eye for talent that Kevin Keegan has.

• Whumpie

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM

If we could just get to the summer with Guthrie, Barton and Lua Lua doing a job (and Zog if he can shurrup and get on with his job so the gaffer doesn’t stick him in the shop window), that’s £10M plus saved. Big ‘if’ though.

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Good player-Worthy of his place normally.

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM

A great buy and a real coup for us. He is improving with every match and he is taking Butt under his wing when really it should be the other way round.

Butt needs to be a squad player at best he shouldn’t be so involved in the first team and we need to replace him ASAP. His passing is gradually getting worse and everything else he does is getting rather more ugly than usual. A young and strong player that can PASS would be great and if he’s quick even better.

• brutooooon

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:35 AM

i don’t know if u guys notice durign the hull city game, nicky butt is almost unexist. guthrie is like playing alone in CM.

i prefer him to replace nicky butt permanently and barton or other AM to play alongside him.

i still and always think that NICKY BUTT is our problem