Promising Performance From Young Striker On Saturday

Andy Carroll, who turns 20 years old tomorrow, said he was delighted to be involved as a starter in Saturday’s vital game at Hull City, and Andy performed very well, especially in the first half.

Andy Carroll – looked the part in first half

The 19-year-old was handed only his second ever start for his home town club at the KC Stadium and the lad was all action in the first half, as he proved more than a handful for the Hull City defense.

But the lad’s 6’3” frame and excellent skills should get him some goals in the future, and he was unlucky not to get a headed goal after just 2 minutes on Saturday, and he went close again on 21 minutes.

The Gateshead-born striker talked about the game today:

“I was buzzing when I saw I was in the starting eleven and I thought I did quite well,”

“I don’t know if Joe Kinnear thought I had a good game but I’d love to be involved next week.”

Carroll will definitely improve with games, and he’s been in excellent form for the Reserves this season, and has .

That’s another reason we never quite understood why it was wise (excuse the pun) to sign Xisco in August, when we already had Andy and other good young strikers coming along at the club. Xisco was on the bench on Saturday after his £5.7M signing from Deportivo – a good deal for the Spanish club.

Andy thought he had scored his very first senior goal for Newcastle:

“I was nearly celebrating to be honest,” “MO put a great ball and I got on the end of it but the keeper made a good save.

“It was a good start for us but after that the game was quite scrappy.” “We went looking for a win but, in the end, we were happy with a draw.”

“Now we can take them back to St.James’ Park and hopefully get the win in front of our own fans.”

And it was noticeable too that Owen seemed to prosper from having a big man playing up front with him, and maybe a Carroll Owen partnership or Carroll Martins partnershipould be a big one for the future at Newcastle.

Certainly Oba has already said he just loves playing alongside Andy up front.

Andy will have to look at why and how he dropped off in the second half and no doubt  Chris and Joe will go through that with the youngster this week, but another start on Saturday would be fine with us – the lad will only get better with more games. His first touch was poor at times too, especially in the second half, so that’s an area he can improve in.

Happy Birthday for tomorrow to Andy – and maybe his first senior goal for the club next Saturday – that would be very good.

• JonnyNUFC

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM

His movement/positioning…strength etc in first half was actually pretty good.

Owens best chance on goal was from carroll heading it on & they both had more than enough chances. So they were doing alright.

2nd half he got a boot in the face and dissapeared after that, stopped winning anything. Should have been subbed by a clueless Kinnear.

• Dean

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:49 PM

If Martins is fit for the next game why not go 433? esp since Butt is suspended.

• sirjasontoon

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Average player should be sent out on loan to the championship.

• David Craig

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Be careful what you write about Big Mike –

TOON owner Mike Ashley is suing a national newspaper over claims his family’s safety was compromised.

Ashley is suing The Sun over a story on the paper’s front page, with the headline: “Toon chief’s £125k binge” which was published last September.

He claims the article, photographs and a copy of his bar bill were published without his consent and contained information over which he had a reasonable expectation of privacy.

This included the fact he had flown to New York in a private jet, had hosted a party at the Pink Elephant nightclub, why he had gone to the nightclub, with whom, what he did, how much he paid for drinks – including a bill showing a breakdown of drinks and their cost – and how much he had tipped waiters.

In a High Court writ, Ashley argues other facts which should have remained private were what he allegedly said about then manager Kevin Keegan, what time he left the club and with whom, and where he stayed in New York.

The writ also says publication of this information amounted to a misuse of his private information and an intrusion into his private life, as well as interference with his human rights.

The billionaire sports tycoon, who recently announced he no longer plans to sell the Magpies, is seeking aggravated damages, saying information he expected to remain private strayed into the public domain and was then used as the basis for a critical story in the News of the World the following day.

He claims the Sun did not warn him of its intention to publish the story, meaning he did not have the chance to seek an injunction to prevent it appearing.

• Spyro

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I must have missed the promising part of his performance.

• sirjasontoon

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I take it there is no transfers today 5 days in?
    Not tolerating useless player spin..this happens every window to try and distract fans from the fact we are clueless at recruitment.

• toon mag geordie

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:59 PM

sirjasontoon

i think he has potential but yes he should go on loan to the championship

• StevieA

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:01 PM

“We think this boy has everything it takes to make it at the top level as long as he’s brought along slowly and widely by the Newcastle coaching staff.”

I don’t! He is not a goal scorer and not sure he ever will be. He could be another Shola Ameobi for us though in terms of holding the ball up, causing problems for opposing defenders and setting goals up.

Who knows he might find a way to get a little better at finishing but Donaldson is a far better finisher as is Ranger.

• StevieA

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Good player BUT the same website also says that Arsenal have bid £20 Million for Arshavin. Where the hell would they get that kind of money from for 1 player? It must be silly season considering they owe 100+ million for the stadium. Even Arsene Wenger has told supporters not to get carried away because they can’t bring those kind of players in anymore.

• toon mag geordie

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:05 PM

david craig

why areb u trying to wind people up

• Joe

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:06 PM

He’s got potential and in the first half saturday and when he came on against wigan i felt he did well but he has a long way to go yet

• Danny Duckfoot

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:07 PM

spyro, you miss the fookin point in every situation you mug.

now fook off !

• sirjasontoon

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:08 PM

David it is obvious Mike has far too much time on his hands.

Mike has no interest in Newcastle United other than creaming the supporters hard earned cash.

The majority of people in Newcastle want him out before the damage he does is irreversible.

His time on Tyneside has brought nothing but trouble,lies and a team that is a threadbare disaster.

• Kevin Nichol

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:08 PM

AVERAGE PLAYER? How on earth can you come on here and say that after he has only ever started two games for the club? Did MO look any better than Andy on sat? I don’t think so and he earns 100k+ per week!

Let’s support a loac lad who UNLIKE MANY OTHERS

• Kevin Nichol

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:10 PM

*****WANTS***** TO PLAY FOR THE CLUB.

I for one hope he starts again on sat. He put more effort in the first half an hour against hull than MO has in the last three games!

• nightfall

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:17 PM

StevieA – i found it interesting ‘cos marseille are after him…guess that means taiwo’s moving…

• Geordie Dog

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM

personally thought he was lacking against a poor Hull team. almost embarassed for MO that he had to play alongside him, fighting for the occassional scrap (especially in the second half). I agree he needs more first team games but not in a dog fight at the bottom of the Prem.

one last chance out on Loan to see if he can do better that he did at Stoke. Remember Chopra scored a shed load in the reserves and he’s hardly turned out to be a top class striker

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Kevin Nichol

He IS an average player!! i have watched in the reserves for the last 3 years, I also had the misfortune in going and watching his debut out on loan at Preston and even then, I would say he is an AVERAGE Player and nothing more!!

I agree 100% with Stevie A. Ranger and Donaldson look much better prospects than Carroll. The only reason he is getting anywhere near the first team is his height!! Pure and simple, its the way it is, its the way JK wants to play. He wants a target man, and he was left no option to play Carroll……

I would get rid, either on loan or permanent and bring in a more established target man.

Or just a big strong CF….

Carroll will not make it at NUFC. He is not the man to lead the line, now or in the future……..

• Erlend

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:22 PM

He showed great promise in the 1st half. I’m happy with his efforts, and I hope he will be given further chances. That said, I thought he was absolute rubbish in the second half. He lost out to players half his size, and was rooted to the spot without any positional sence.

How Kinnear failed to sub him in the 2nd half is just another proof of how clueless he his.

• John

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:24 PM

The Carroll / Owen combination has probably been the most effective to date. Owen in fact looked sharper than he has done for a couple of years and was unlucky not to find the net. Carroll at 19 years (Almost 20) has got to be given a chance. He is brave and possesses good skills for a big lad. I don’t think he should go on loan, on the contrary he should be given a run of 6 games to see how he goes but without doubt another promising youngster coming along.

• sirjasontoon

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I don’t think we are in a position to give someone like Carroll 6 games when we are in a relagation battle..a proven fit striker is needed then we might start winning matches instead of getting beat or draws.

• sirjasontoon

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Great Promise.. that will not save our premiership status.
    We have too many players that show promise..we need more finished articles.

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Yep.

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Yep. (again)

• seetow

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:48 PM

carroll’s first touch looked unbelievably like stroller ameobi’s legendary first touch that we’ve all grown to expect.

“play a through ball to ameobi, and his first touch will be beautiful. his next touch would be to tackle the opposition’s defender…”

• Beattie

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM

he was off the pace i reckon, but then most players are when they first start premiership football. i mean it’s quite a jump to go to that from the reserves

• rem

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:05 PM

David Craig —

And wtf does this have to do with andy carro???

• TORONTOON

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:11 PM

decent 1st half, non-existant in the 2nd; joe should’ve sub xisco in at 60min. we’ll see what he and martins can do when owen leaves. we have decent kids, but they’ll stay as kids unless we play them!

• Murphy

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Xisco won’t get a game…. he’s for sale and the only way JK will get any cash is by selling him so he’s gotta stay fit. Anyways knowing our luck he’d break a leg at the match and we’d be stuck with him for a year the n he’d leave for 500k

• safferusa

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:24 PM

What bout Nile Ranger? I want to see him get in there, why not give him a chance too, I want someone to come in and score in their first game, something special, Carrol looked OK but not really exciting, or was it just me?

• Robert

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Did you guys see the game at all? The lad had a lot of missed passes, his heading was off target and when he got a chance in front of goal he was to tired/clumsy to get to the ball…I dont understand why Kinnear didnt make a change. Sell him now.

• Nick

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:10 PM

frankly kinnear is just about as poor a manager as we could have got. ranger should be way ahead of carroll.

• Toontastic

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I thought he actually played terrible, you would of thought that he would be really up from the game, trying to impress kinnear, by running around, taking on people, having a few shots on goal. But no he just stands around hoping the ball will land on his head.

• Ian

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:25 PM

All of a sudden Andy wakes up and shows a little promise, why didnt he start this off earlier??

I do not like the way he tries hard some games then switches off for others. If he plays, tries hard and scores in one of the next two games then I may change my opinion of him.

He is a player I would sell if i thought we were going to buy someone better, but we probably would sell him and bring in a pub team player if he was cheaper.

• Ian

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Agree about Nile Ranger he should have been tried before the window as should Lua Lua, both of those players are better than anyone Wise or Lambias could sign anyhow.

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I would prefer to see Xisco instead of Carroll. The few times I have seen him he hasn’t really impressed me. Xisco needs to be given his chance, there must be a reason why we forked out nearly 6M for his transfer. Yet young Carroll gets the nod ahead of him- what!?? After Saturday’s performance it really does puzzle me as I can’t see 6M Xisco any worse than Carroll. He MUST BE BETTER THAN CARROLL. From what I saw I was not impressed at all. I agree completely with some1 above he is just like another Ameobi. Good at flashes but no way premiership material. Okay I know it’s his first start and whatever but still don’t you think he should have grabbed his chance with both hands, instead he only half grabs it as half the match he was decent and the other half he was terrible. His first touch is atrocious and needs a hell of a lot of work and his shooting is a bit wayward also. His positioning is OK but if you can’t control and protect the ball then what good does your positioning sense have. I think I had higher hopes with Ameobi when he started than this fella. At least Ameobi can hold the ball for us, this guy goes down like a stack of cards. It’s a shame ‘cuz I was one of the fans longing to see him in action but I must say I am disappointed. I thought he was a better player than what I saw again, and this time from a start and not as a sub!

I would start with either Xisco or try young Ranger up front as they both seem better options than Carroll.

• Wezside

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Nile Ranger WAS signed by Wise – now I’m not Wise’s greatest fan, but give him some credit, he has signed us a stack of bright talent. If the big names in our team could start performing better we might not be in the mess we are currently in. You cant tell me that teams like Hull have a more penetrating midfield than we do, whether down the centre or the wings, and they score goals for fun in general. I personally am sick of this Newcastle team underperforming every season. Who do I blame? I don’t know. Kinnear’s tactics? Keegan’s tantrum? Souness? I do feel though that something is wrong at Newcastle, and we just have to hope that something clicks soon enough

Rant over 🙂

• Whumpie

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:06 PM

What we needed against Hull was a huge, fearless battering ram of a player to give Owen space and the odd chance, which is all he normally needs.

We got that in the 1st half and it nearly led to a goal on several occasions. After that clatter he should have been taken off, though; it shows just how poor Xisco must be doing in training that a concussed Andy Carroll is preferred to him.

• Whumpie

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM

JP…from The Rock – Xisco gets his chance every day in training, just like everyone else.

Just because all we get to see is games, we assume the gaffer is basing his decisions on that – but it’s all about what happens on the training ground.