Andy Carroll Hungry For Games At Newcastle

Andy Carroll turns 20 years old today, and after his impressive start last Saturday at Hull City, he’s been interviewed in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle today, and the boy seems raring to go.

andy-caroll-345

Andy Carroll – good tall physical striker

Andy told the Evening Chronicle today:

“I want to start more games now and I’m hungry to do it.“I am enjoying the experience. I want play as often as possible and try to nick that first goal in the first team.”

“Playing in the first team is very different to the reserves.” “The players are a lot stronger and the pace is much faster.”

“You just need to put yourself about, and that’s what I did against Hull.”

Carroll seems to have everything it takes to be a good Premier League class striker, and his 6’3″ frame and strong physical presence are just two of the reasons he is tipped for the top.

And it would be a great time for Andy to come through this seaosn sicne the club will not Mark Viduka’s contract and if Andy can show he can produce the goods rhen we should be OK for striker for next season, unless Michael Owen elects to leave Newcastle in the summer, which has still to be considered probabale.

Andy plays a lot like Duncan Ferguson did when he partnered Alan Shearer at the club, and the lad can dish it pretty well just like Duncan – but Andy will no doubt do it his way.

Carroll added:

“I just try to play my own game and with my own style.”

“People might try to compare you with certain players or put names on you, but I just do my best.”

“I’ve got goals in the reserves which earned me a chance, and now I just need to push on in the first-team squad.”

And of course he seemed to play extremely well in the first half with Michael Owen, who had two good chances in the first 20 minutes against Hull City, but surprisingly failed to put either chance away. But Michael seemed to thrive in the first half having big Andy alongside him.

Andy continued:

“Hopefully, I’ve done enough we’ll see what the team is.”“I would love to get my first goal against West Ham.”

“But if it doesn’t come for me I will just continue to get into the positions.”

“Even if it took five or six games to come I wouldn’t worry, as long as I played well and did the job for the team.”

There’s got be a very decent chance that Andy will  start on Saturday against West Ham, and if Matthew Upson makes that game, Andy could give the England defender a torrid time in the air.

Upson sometimes finds tall physical strikers difficult to deal with.

We wish Andy a happy birthday – and hope he can terrorize the Hammers defense on Saturday.

• C'est moi

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Didn’t win enough headers for me on Saturday

• Turkish Magpie

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:14 PM

wsn’t given enough chances to win headers on saturday

• Zangwill

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Well done Carroll, go ahead, your partner is Martins!

• Thelongshanks

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:21 PM

If carrol getting a chance why not xisco we have more to lose if he doesnt make it?Also will JK give the young lads a chance?

• MAGPIE

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:22 PM

I like him. Not given enough of a chance and I would always start him ahead of Ameobi, Smith or even Viduka on present form. Lots of our younguns seem to get a raw deal. I think Edgar could be a good squad defender. Ramage would have been a good cover RB if we’d held onto him. Nzogbia should have had a more regular slot and would not have been such an arse if he had. Lua should get a chance and if Ranger is as good as he seems let’s put him in before he gets t he hump and does one in 09 when his contract expires. Finally if Spears THAT good why is he not in reserve squad?

• HeronMag

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Carroll needs to be given a run at some point.

Problem is when do you play him… Do you risk it in the Premier League when we’re periliously close to the drop, or do you play him in the cups, our only route to silverware?

I would have sent him out on loan this season with the option that we could call him back at any time. That way, we get to see how good he is (he didn’t look fantastic when at Preston NE), he gets first team football and we keep an England under 21 international.

• BarmyArmy

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:23 PM

He certainly looks different with the longer hair.

• HeronMag

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:25 PM

MAGPIE – agreed on Edgar. For me the lad looks just as good, if not better than Steve Taylor. Keep him if he wants to stay.

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Championship player.

• nuf-C you in the Championship

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I want to end the season with 15 goals for Newcastle United!!

I want to wear the number 9 shirt next season as Newcastles number 1 striker!!

I want to rival Shearer/Milburn’s scoring records for this club!!

I’m all for the lad from Gateshead doing well.. But why aren’t we getting statements like the ones above from the young lad…???

It’s an ideal opportunity for him to blow the fans away but first he needs to put himself under pressure by believing in himself…

Come on Andy son, if you can’t bet on yourself who can you bet on, set your intentions high and make them heard… Put the ball in Kinnear’s court and make him bet on you!!!

We’re in desperate need of a hero rather than listening to part baked statements about when your 1st goal will come…

• Darling27

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I agreed magpie. Edgar is a good squad defender.

• Kevin Nichol

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM

thelongshanks…..because misco is shockingly bad! He is not rated by any of our first team coaches/nor our reserve staff! I know this for a fact (inside info)!

He has no pace, isnt very strong, has a poor first touch and his attitude around the place is that he does not want to be there!

Thats why he does not get picked!

• Kevin Nichol

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Magpie….SPEARS is 15 years old! He has been playing with the youth team. Let’s let the las learn to swin before we throw him in with the sharks eh???

• Kevin Nichol

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:30 PM

“lad” even….

• AO

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:31 PM

I have now finished work and am off to see spurs in the first leg of the carling cup semi final against burnley. We are only 180 minutes from another cup final and hopefully a glamour tie at wembley against united.

You wont understand my excitement at the thought of winning another trophy and appearing at the new wembley as none of you have witnessed it with newcastle and probably never will.

I guess most of you will have the game on in the background as you feverishly type away on your keyboards till the early hours arguing amongst yourselves as to why your team is so pathetic.

But have hope, you are the self styled best fans in the world and one day you will make a semi final and maybe even get to wembley and your loyalty rewarded. Till then keep dreaming of your arda turans, schweinsteigers and getting shearer in as your manager cos you never know. Chelsea and man city fans were worse off than you once.

So wish me and spurs luck and i will see you tomorrow.

• fostino

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:32 PM

people will come on saying ‘give xisco a chance’ in the last article and now they’ll be saying ‘give carroll a chance a chance’…….problem is, its gonna have to be one or the other, with all our other strikers crocked, i say start a poll………………carroll or xisco for west ham!! id prefer xisco to get a chance but carroll will get the nod……………..in fact duff is prob higher up joe’s pecking order then both for a strikers role!!

• t00nAL00ney

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:34 PM

I think hes shit. Im sick of the toon, why arnt we buying any players when everyone else is.

• halftimebovril

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:35 PM

See according to nufc.com that Mort has no plans in returning as chairman. Guess were stuck with Llambias then

• HeronMag

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:35 PM

nuf-C you in the championship – I’d love to see Carroll hungry like that.

I remember when Kev Phillips signed for the Mackems and came out and said he wanted at least 20 goals a season. I laughed. He hit 25 in his first season. The season after that he won the Golden Boot. Mackem b*$t*rd! 🙂

Attitude plays a massive part in a player’s performances and the choices of the manager.

• Joe

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Ao if united want that trophy they will win it

• It Could Be Worse... We Could Be Spurs(DC)

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Hey AO “Score Board”

I’m just glad you pathetic lot are still in the prem. Currently the only team other than Citeh to makes us feel not THAT bad.

Shameless bunch of underachievers.

• Carroll is Gash.
    Wouldn’t even get in a Hull reserve team.

• nuf-C you in the Championship

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:49 PM

AO

You can worship Geordies on your own web pages you know instead of doing so on ours.

Reply to this if you worship all Geordies?

• Carling Cup..wow.
    Still laughing about the defoe transfer sell for 7 and buy back for 15,there’s no club in the land daft enough to do that…what it tells me is your current star strike force is cack and you lot must be desperate.

• Spurs Make me laugh…they will fall flat on their Asses them lot…proper jokers…hurry back A.O and make us all laugh somemore.

• beyethegreat

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:26 PM

to every1

i was looking at the spurs site that nuf-c provided

and seen a petition for a former spurs player

i realize we arent spurs fans but i think people should sign it any way

Walter Tull. Played for Tottenham 1909-1911. He became the first black outfield player to play in the First Division of the Football League when he signed for us and should have had a long and prosperouscareer at White Hart Lane had it not been for 2 things: racism and war. He was efeectively forced out of Spurs by rival fans who mocked our club to such an extent that it was decided to let him go. A sad day in North London because he was an extremely talented player whose only fault was that he was black. He fought in WW1 and became the first ever black officer in the British Army. He fought throughout the war, surviving virtually every big battle (Somme, Ypres, Passendale) and led his men at Piave with distinction that should have earned him the Military Cross. He lost his life in the last big battle of the war, the Second Battle of the Somme, and his body was never found. He never got his medal for which he was recommended because he was black and therefore could not qualify as an officer, despite actually holding such a rank.

I have started an online petition for Walter Tull to support his claim for a Military Cross. I heard that there was a growing campaign for him to receive the honour that he was denied in his day simply because of the colour of his skin and I wanted to add my name to the list of support. However, despite the fact he started out at Tottenham and played with us for over 2 years of his short career, there was nowhere I could find for Tottenham fans to show our appreciation for this man’s sacrifice. Northampton Town have created a petition as have the Northamptonshire Black History Association but not Tottenham. I really feel that is a shame as Spurs, being a much bigger club, could really add weight to the campaign and as such I have created my own petition for us all to sign.

Please add your name to it as this is something that needs addressing. Tull was a remarkable man and we should be hugely proud of his achievements. He was a proper yid and showed the sort of character indicative of Spurs. He thoroughly deserved the Military Cross that he was recommended for and it was denied to him simply because he was black. At the time, Military Crosses were only given to officers in the British Army and, although he had become the first ever black officer when he was awarded the rank of Second Lieutenant, the powers that be rescinded the claim for his medal on the grounds that the Army rulebook clearly states that a man not of pure European descent cannot be eligible as an officer

• Irish John

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:25 PM

plesae god never again do i want to see carroll in the black and white again…hes lazy , and shite….

• Silence of the Llambias

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Just for the record, and to put one or two of you straight.Carroll will prove to be a seriously useful player for us. His natural game is full of energy, and he constantly works and worries defenders. Has a natural eye for goal. heads it well, strikes it well and has good awareness. Big, strong, mobile. What we have lacked since Shearer. Give him games and he will learn quickly.

• buddy

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:28 PM

SoL,

how do you know this? when has he proved this? although i hope you are right he has done quite poorly on loan to average teams. i would personally like to see xisco actually treated with some respect by JFK and then maybe given a decent chance

• Beye the great..some people have just far too much time on their hands.
    The guy can’t have a medal because of his nationality..that’s the rules.

Agree Irish John load him out to Hartlepool…forever.

• Also any player that would go out in town with a there is only 1 andy carroll studded belt…That story summed him up to me..Twat.

• Silence of the Llambias // Jan 6, 2009 at 19:14

Ha Ha…he is poor, Upson will be all over him like a Hammer Rash.

• dan

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Ed … The spelling and grammer of this post is awful.

Carroll has yet to show me he is good enough for the premiership.

• Dan leave Ed alone..he has had a hard day listing all our latest signings and transfer gossip.
    : )

• jordi

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:17 PM

dan

If you’re going to complain about spelling and ‘grammer’ at least spell grammar correctly.

sigh

• Silence of the Llambias

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:35 PM

sirjasontool
    Watch and learn son. Watch and learn.

• Watch and Learn…from a goon like you..yeah right.

Only one tool on here buddy and it is either you or you are sucking one..maybe both.

• Silence of the Llambias // Jan 6, 2009 at 19:14
    Quotes:

He has a natural Eye for Goal Hmmm
    His natural game is full of energy (the lad was out of his depth after 40 mins knackered by all accounts)
    Big and Strong..Didn’t he get kicked and go AWOL against Hull.

If you think he is the future of NUFC attack you are having a laugh fella.

• Cmon Burnley !!!!

• toontoontoon

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:56 PM

@Silence of the Llambias : u made me laugh like hell just looking at your name..creative though..