Shay Given Professionalism Keeps Shining Bright

Joe Kinnear will have a a difficult month in January, not only because of the games we will need to start winning, but also for the transfer window, which could prove to be especially difficult this year.

shay-given-training

Shay Given – another good display on Saturday – a great professional

Joe didn’t talk after the game on Saturday or even Sunday, so we were hoping he was away looking at players or maybe huddling with Dennis Wise and even Mike Ashley on the transfer situation. We hope so anyway.

But Joe was pleased with the fighting performance of the lads at Hull City, and although our play is a long way from what it was under the great Bobby Robson, we hope we will continue to improve in the new year, after the walloping we took against Liverpool, which showed us all just how far we are from the top these days.

We don’t think the Shay Given saga is over yet, but Joe was delighted with the professional way Given went about his business on Saturday, and had another good and solid game for the Tyneside team. This guy is easily the best goalkeeper in the Premier league these days, there’s not much doubt about that .

If Shay does leave it’s hard to think that he would even be booed when he return s to St. James’ Park, since he’s been one of the best players ever at the club, made 460 appearances already, and his professionalism, desire and training regimen have been an excellent role model for our Geordie youngsters.

Joe talked today about his compatriot Shay Given today:

“He was outstanding for us against Hull – as he has been for me since I arrived,”

“I have never had a problem with Shay and I have no worries about him whatsoever.”

“Anyone who suggests I’ve fallen out with him is just not telling the truth and I won’t let people drive a wedge between me and him.”

We’re sure Joe’s relationship with Shay is very good, as it seems to be with most of his players, but these gossip journalists are always up to something it seems, and all to sell their papers – not much ethics there.

We’ll all heave a sigh of relief when February 2nd rolls around and Shay is still at the club, and we just hope we can have a decent run-in to the season so Shay can see the club is indeed being strengthened significantly, and that will continue in the summer.

But that’s another reason why the January window is so important for Newcastle.

• Toon Graeme

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I think all this Given talk needs to be put behind us now. We know what he is and what he can do. A TRUE servant of the NUFC badge.

I know ED is just reporting on what is in the press regarding NUFC but I think the locals and gutter press should now drop this story and grow some balls and ask the questions that WE the fans want answering.

I note from the Sun that Oba is joining the injury bench for a further 6 weeks.

Why are we cursed with injuries?

• C'est moi

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Person behind him needs to go to the lavatory

• Off to Man City…same happened with Milner they bigged him up before the sale to get the price inflated..I don’t mind if we sold him if the money in reinvested but the money will end up being lost by Ashley in a game of black jack.

• neeraj

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:17 AM

pure publicity…. to inflate his price…..

• Toon Graeme

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Point is – use the money (if sold) to buy who?

Exactly!!!!! If reports say no one s selling then its another down from the squad and no replacement yet again!!!!

Anyone else see my point on this?

• Be the same as the Milner deal…it will vanish into a casino.

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Yawn

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz stretch,yawn,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz stretch,yawn,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz stretch,yawn,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Shay Given = Casino Chips

• SpartanChris

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Shay is so much more than a good goalkeeper. He is a respected and senior player, which all teams need. I’ve heard people say that we could replace him easily with Krul etc, but his voice and presence in the dressing room would be missed just as much as his goalleeping abilities on the pitch. If we were to sell him (and I hope we don’t) it would be a very bad sign for the direction that we are heading in.

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:34 AM

😀

• I don’t think getting your agent/solicitor to go to blabbing negative remarks about your club in the press just before a transfer window is very professional to be honest…very damaging to the club in my opinion.

• Need another Yawn..

YYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWNN

Thats Better : )

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Perfect point Sirjason

& YYYYYaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwNNNNNN.

Mmmmmm, that was nice.

• Wonder which player will be bigged up next…the same happened last window to distract us….
    YAWN.

• Clint do a stretch and yawn…what a combo : )

S-T-R-E-T-C-H

Y-A-W-N

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• SpartanChris

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:42 AM

sirjasontoon™ – Let’s Riot – The comments that Shay’s solicitor published were pretty much echoing what he has said regarding the size and quality of the squad for the past 3 years. No-one can argue with those sentiments.

Admittedly, his blarney about considering his position was not helpful, but hopefully was intended to give a gentle nudge regarding recruitment in the transfer window.

• Stardust

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:44 AM

sirjasontoon™ – Let’s Riot // Jan 6, 2009 at 10:30

Shay Given = Casino Chips

One of the funniest posts Ive seen lol

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:45 AM

SSSSTTTTTTTRRRRRREEETTTTTCCCCHH
    YYYAAAAAWWWWWWWNNNNNN.

Ah yea, i see what y’mean, thats way cool.
    I feel sooo much better.
    😀

• Hahah
    I fell better now…need to do a yawn on the toon reserves v bolton page and I am set for the day : )

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Sirjason
    funny as mate, thanx for giving us a laff man, in these ‘TIMES OF DOOM’ (dramatic background music).

• Whumpie

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:08 AM

SSSSTTTTTTTRRRRRREE-click.

Ow. Off to the osteopath.

• Toon Graeme

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Love it lads – brough a smile to my face these posts!

Oh youve set me off on one..

sssssssttttttttrrrreeeeeeetttttchhhhhhh

yyyyyyyyyaaaaawwwwwnnnnn (real head back and gob opener)

and now its time to fluff the pillow:

hhmmmmm zzzzzzzzzz

• Toon Graeme
    Class mate..made me laugh : )

• No worries Clint Fella.
    : )

• Doocey

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM

True legend Shay Given 😀

• Sav

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM

If Shay’s extrsaordinary statement via Kennewdy was intended to pressure Ashley into putting his hand in his pocket and showing some real ambition, its failed miserably. As an article in the Mail said, the pity of it is that we fans can’t leave with him.

• Sav

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:57 PM

By thew way, ed, I’m making spelling mistakes because there are ads covering the comments box and I’m having to type ‘blind’. Please fix it.

• shay please leave