Better News Today On Oba Martins

There was some good news this morning regarding Oba Martins – for a nice change.

oba-martins_obafemi_nufc_profile_2007

Martins – could be back within 2 weeks – if he needs the hernia operation

The news is that if Oba needs the hernia operation he will be back in a couple of weeks, and not the 6 weeks that was widely reported yesterday.

Apparently if he doesn’t make the squad for the game against West Ham on Saturday, then his is booked in to have an operation on Thursday, but exactly where he will have that operation in unknown to us.

As we reported yesterday we hope it’s at the Munich clinic of Dr. Ulrike Muschaweck, who uses only local anaesthetic, and so the recovery time is greatly reduced.

Kinnear also hopes to have Shola Ameobi available for the potentially pivotal game against Gianfranco Zola’s Hammers on Saturday.

Newcastle manager Kinnear said today:

“We have missed Oba Martins’ firepower. He offers us that extra bit of pace and I would love to have him back for the West Ham game,”

“We’ll try to have him back but I’m not sure how likely that is. We’ll take a look at him on Thursday and see how he is but we won’t risk him if he’s not fit.”

“I really don’t want to use it as an excuse but it goes without saying that we’ve missed some of the players who haven’t been available and the sooner they are back and available, the better.”

It’s nice to have a little bit of good news to go with the rest – but still no news on any movement in the transfer market so far.

• jenson

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:02 AM

1st. sign someone please. SHAMBLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• bowburnmag

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:05 AM

I had a double hernia op in March and I was back in 5 weeks but a bit rusty. With the specialist treatment they get, I’d be disappointed if it took more than 3 weeks to get him fully fit.

• Richie

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:08 AM

We are saved Ameobi has sined a new 3 year deal!!!! haha it came up on sky sports news… breaking news from he footballing world at newcastle united,i got excited then heard that, utter shite!!

• clinta

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Shola’ll come good Richie just give him time……!!!! lol!!!

• The Entertainers

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Wonder of Shola is the big signing ‘David Craig’ has mentioned on previous posts??

• clinta

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM

To be fair to the lad, though he has had plenty of time, and more than his fair share of opportunities to prove himself over the years, I think he’s still an okay squad player , and can see why, (if it’s true) we signed him on for longer.

• clinta

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I also have to say, can’t wait for OBA to come back, hate it when his out as I love watching the man play. He’s my favourite toon player these days I think, well… I’d have to say Shay is close though too.

anyone agree? favourite current toon player, what do you guys think?

• huss37

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:18 AM

which Bafoon got this Northern league Player to sign another contract……good god NUFC do we have no ambition

• Angryman the Angry Fan

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:29 AM

The TOON have made one of their MAJOR signings I see……………..and it is a BIG Name Faloua Mashola Ameobi………..its summick like that anyway, i dont really give a F,……. if I have got it wrong to be honest!!

The Sum of Cashleys ambition eh Stardust!!!

He he he he he he…………

• Tore Torell

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:38 AM

My god, 3 more years with Shola… Not really good news, hopefully he’ll have a decent 2nd half of the season so we can get 3m for him.

• Stardust

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:40 AM

You said you wanted a big and wow signing Angryman – well he is 6’2″ and almost a wow (well WTF) lol

• Y2J

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:42 AM

At least Craig new he was signing, maybe he is ‘in the know’…

• Stardust

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:44 AM

At least it maintains his value and someone will have to buy him rather than give him away, decent business.

• Chizzy_Toon

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:44 AM

I think the only WOW signing Shola is “WOW, Is he really a footballer”

• wsq

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:47 AM

the manager only seems to appreciate oba’s importance to newcastle only when he isn’t available. he wasn’t reluctant whatsoever in taking him off when he was available.

ASLEY OUT!

• wsq

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Only a shitty player like ameobi would sign under this ASHLEY regime

ASHLEY OUT!

• bowburnmag

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Ameobi will definitely be thinking “WOW?? they’re still willing to pay me for another 3 years?”.

• doofa the loofa

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM

great idea… comedy signings. how bout jonny vegas for the midfield? be difficult to get past. and lenny henry, he could tip condensed milk all over the place and everything would be, OOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.
    what a tiswas. lol

• Whumpie

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:01 AM

wsq – I am so damn bored with the ‘Ashley Out!’ stuff. You’re like a stuck record when someone’s switched the amp off, man.

For me, the fact that someone’s signed for us is good news and can only help. These things tend to trigger each-other, so let’s hope this is just the starter for 10 and that we’ll get a steady trickle of good news about the squad over the next 3 weeks.

Shola’s never going to be Robinho, but he’s done ok and I’m glad he’s staying.

• Whumpie

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:02 AM

… and I just put that post on the wrong discussion!

Woo! More coffee!

• Whumpie

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Anyway, that’s better news indeed on Martins. We’ve really missed his pace.

• Hurry Back Oba !

• Angryman the Angry Fan

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Stardust
    At last we agree on something, the WOW / WTF for slightly amusing………

However maintaining his value bit………….I think we are gonn have to end up paying for someone to take him off our hands …. 😉

• Sav

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:01 PM

…and if he drives himself to the clinic and back, he could return even quicker….!

• Sav

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Sure, the Ashley out campaign is dragging on. But what is the difference between a bloke who simply cannot sell the club despite hawking it everywhere, and a bloke who says, I’m staying and I want back in? Ashley has to show some commitment other thanto say he’s staying. That means some sort of cash commitment. The squad is lousy in terms of quality and quantity yet after some indication JFK would have 12 mil to spend on a couple of decent players, it now appears he can simply sell the poor material at his disposal to create funds or lump it.
    So until we see different, I’m afraid its still got to be ‘Ashley Out!’

• O'Hurley

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Whumpie-

Well put, man! I get so exasperated with all the hopeless negativity on here. I wish everyone would wait (not necessarily with baited breath, like) for the end of January to go around with all this ashley-bashing. We’ve still got nigh on a month. Summick can still happen, like.

And I’m happy about Shola. For Chrissake… he’s a local lad and only ever played for NUFC. He’s got a canny heart and though he may not be the best on the pitch, he’s adequate to have on the bench. When he’s inspired (albeit seldom..) he’s really not bad. Certainly no Supermac, like 🙂 But he is useful. Let’s not forget that his goals this season came at a time when we BADLY needed them.