Shola Interview After Signing New Contract at Magpies

Shola Ameobi has given a long interview today, after signing a three year contract at Newcastle.

shola-ameobi_543604.jpg

Shola Ameobi – interview today with nufcTV

For those of you who do not get nufcTV – here is a translation of what Shola said this morning:

“In the summer my future was up in the air,” “I didn’t know if I was going to be here or not.”“So I am delighted to be able to sign a contract.”

“It’s my hometown club and I’m happy to be able to look forward to the future with Newcastle United.”

“There has been a lot of confusion over what the future held for me but it’s good to be able to put it behind me and now focus on achieving at Newcastle United.”

“Getting fit and playing games is all I wanted to do,” “It had been a while since I was able to do that.” “I had to prove what I could do.”

“But it’s testament to the physios and medical staff for the work they’ve done for me.”

“Also the manager Joe Kinnear came in and put a lot of faith in me.” “I hadn’t played for a while and had to prove myself again.”

“Thankfully I believe I did that.” “Now I can look forward to playing a lot more games for Newcastle which didn’t look likely a few months ago.”

“I believe I can do that and now my future is in order I can focus on getting it right on the pitch.” “I am confident I can do it and the club are also, which they have shown by their faith with the contract.”

“Now it’s down to me to prove that.” “The aim for the future is to stay fit and play games on a regular basis.”

“Then show the form I produced earlier this season.”

Comments very welcome.

• Yawn
    Stretch
    ZZZZZZZZ

• Toon Graeme

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:34 AM

He talks the talk about climbing the league tabel.

Prove it on the pitch and get off the sicknote!!!

• Toon Graeme

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Sirjason

Let me stretch my legs…

sssssssssssssttttttttttttrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeettttttttttcccccccccchhhhhhhhhhh.

Ah thats better!

• GEORDIE69

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Aye well done lets prepare for life in the Championship! I am better than Shola Flip Flop!!!! Why is he still at our club? What a JOKE!

Gutted!

• TooKing

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:39 AM

YEESSSS, this just mad my day….hell..it made my week………

NOT !!!!

• tino97

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Ameobi is a good squad player in my opinion. When played with Martins he was decent. He has his off days, but he can put himself about a bit. He is better than Smith anyway. He always gives it a go. I hope this isn’t our big signing of the window!!

• toonj

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Championship is a knocking bet with this kind of signing

• mickyluv

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Nice kid, nice attitude but isn’t he just taking up another shirt which might be better reserved for youngsters like Carrol and Ranger or any potential new recruit like Deriydok.

I’d sooner have spect the signing on fee and any accumualtive salary rise and got another striker in for 6 months – even if it was just someone like Lita.

• Thelongshanks

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Not a bad squad player and hopefully JK can get the same response outta smith.Would love to see him get back to his old leeds days.

• GEORDIE69

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Thelongshanks // Jan 7, 2009 at 11:53

Not a bad squad player!
    Not a bloody good one either!!!!!!!!

• GEORDIE69

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:56 AM

tino97 // Jan 7, 2009 at 11:46

Ameobi is a good squad player in my opinion.

Maybe you could take over after JK! Shola Flip Flop would love another new contract after he has robbed us and phoned the police over his next three years with us!

• Hunwick Mags

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Shola has never lived up to the early promise and im sorry to say will never make the grade …… this speaks volumes about ashleys “LETS MOVE FORWARD TOGETHER IN 2009” mafia out !!!!!! FULL STOP

• tino97

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I think Lita would be a decent signing too. Looks like Smith, Viduka and Xisco don’t have a future with us. Owen is off in the summer. We are going to need some strikers in the summer.

• dave

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM

His signing a new contract is testiment to the state of the club, he should have been released for being shite but as it is we are forced now to give the no mark another lucrative contract so he can warm the bench and be ineffectual when brought into a game from the bench

WHAT A POINTLESS WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!

• tino97

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:03 PM

In some of the games he started this season he has done well. Agreed he is not the greatest player in the world. But it seems to me we can’t do much better at the moment. Though he has signed a contract, that doesn’t really mean much these days.

• S-T-R-E-C-H
    Y-A-W-N
    ZZZZZZZZZZ

• neeraj

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:04 PM

can we sell him now…..

him signing new contract would increase his prices…….

• GOERDIE IN NORWAY

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:06 PM

craig david didnt see this one did he

• GOERDIE IN NORWAY

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:09 PM

ED HARRISON……..

do you like shola.
    if so why
    hes never ever done anthying that you or me could do given the chance.

he misses lot of siters”””””……,,,,,,

GIVE THE YOUTH A CHANCE

• Ben_BKK

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:12 PM

GEORDIE IN NORWAY – Unless this was the signing he was talking about. I’ll be bloody annoyed if it was though…

• Craig David got it right though : )

Monday
    took Shola for a drink on Tuesday
    we were training by Wednesday
    He was Injured Thursday & Friday & Saturday we chilled on Sunday
    I met Shola on Monday
    took him to training on Tuesday
    He was injured by Wednesday
    and on Thursday & Friday & Saturday we chilled on Sunday

• bowburnmag

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:14 PM

What’s testament to how far we’ve fallen in recent years is that I’m not that bothered he’s sticking around. It seems a good attitude, a canny personality, the ablility to score the odd goal, a nice bit of footwork now and then and occasionally some determination is about the sum of what I expect from NUFC players these days.

• Pointless signing…really pointless.

• Andy

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM

1 goal every 5 or 6 games………I would expect that from my midfielder!

• GOERDIE IN NORWAY

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM

i feel so low right now

• GOERDIE IN NORWAY

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM

thats our manager for you ,,, he thinks shola is the new fashinwho

• Andy

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:18 PM

How can someone not be deemed good enough for Stoke….then nearly farmed out to Ipswich….now be good enough for us for the next 3 seasons……..

I imagine he’ll be looking forward to his testimonial!

• GEORDIE69

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I feel the need to comment again! What the Fcuk are we playing at! We are turnind into one of the least ambitious club’s in the premiership. MA does not realizes how big of a club we are! Shola Ameobi gets a new contract oh my lord!

• Andy

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:28 PM

I have constantly tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but I find it hard to believe the great reception he has received from the fans in games this season.

How come he has performed woefully for the last few years (apart from that purple patch where we nicked a UEFA place). Then when he ups his workrate to 50% (Bearing in mind he was playing for a contract) it’s seen as a massive improvement.

• Boater

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Geeet in. I’m well chuffed he’s signed. He’s a perfect 4th choice striker…. the small matter of 49 goals obviously doesn’t do it for most of you… you want your 5.7 mil punts on foreign flops with racing stripes each year obviously… not me thanks.

• GEORDIE69

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Boater // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:31

Drugs by any chance mate?

• lesh

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Come on guys wake up!

If he’s signed up and assuming somebody’s interested in him, then he’ll command a fee.

If not signed up, he goes for nowt in the summer!

• Kenneth Bassan

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Do Newcastle ever gonna get rid of him. Sell him and give Xisco the chance .

• GEORDIE69

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:40 PM

lesh // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:36

Come on guys wake up!

If not signed up, he goes for nowt in the summer!

Howay man who is going to pay for him? (Apart from the crazy quotes that the papers made up )
    Getting rid of him for nowt was our only chance!
    Now we have another 3 years of him!

• toptoon

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM

well……..

There’s the first bit of bad news in 2009.

what do ya do……… cry, laf, get angry.

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

reeet a feel a bit better.

• GOERDIE IN NORWAY

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:46 PM

lesh

it may meen playing the guy instaed of one of the young ins who will be more hungry than him to proove hes better.. imo shola should not of been ofered a new contract and should of been able to go NOW.

WHICH CLUBS WHERE IN FOR HIM INTHE SUMMER
    man u?
    maybe chelsea?

take it down a notch
    spurs or villa?

maybe another notch
    west ham bolton or fulham.?

IT WAS TEAMS IN THE CHMPIONSHIP.
    that may his level or league 1

this is nasty but if any of you think he should stay then your a fool. if there not good enough get rid…. remember he csot us nothing

• Boater

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Geordie69…

In your fantasy world who would you employ as our 4th choice striker??? I’m curious man … David Villa maybe??? I.e. someone who’s prepared to warm the bench, someone who will feasibly go on a a semi-decent scoring run when played a bit during other striker’s absence, someone who can be brought on to do a job in the closing stages of a game and someone who wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg in transfer or wagse… we are due to lose striker 1 in the summer or even earlier – striker 2 is out for several weeks – striker 3 is old and injured constantly… JEEZ YOU ARE LIVING IN A DREAM WORLD!

• GEORDIE69

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Boater

Id employ Nile Ranger as my 4th choice CF!

• GOERDIE IN NORWAY

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:56 PM

geordie 69

i agree

owen /martins / viduka… 123
    one of the young ones..

lua lua/ carroll/ ranger/ xisco(5.7m)

when will these get a chane to show what there about if you continue to show faith in somone who isnt good enough. and keegan new that

• GEORDIE69

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Boater I kna we dont have any money and we have to be realistic but signing up Shola again is a backwards step. I have watched him since he was 15 and already Nile Ranger has more to offer than Flip Flop!