Newcastle May Be Forced Into Selling Shay Given

There is a feeling on Tyneside that this next week or so could be the end of Shay Given’s time on Tyneside, but most Newcastle fans will hope he will stay with the club.

shay-given-273

Shay Given – will he stay at Newcastle?

Newcastle coach Chris Hughton has said after the 2-2 draw today that goalkeeper Shay Given has been producing quality in training and also in matches, even as speculation over his future mounts.

Hughton said:

“Shay is coming in every day and training very well – which he has done in all the time I’ve been here.”

“He is training well – and putting in all the good performances he has put in.”

Buit we never had much doubt that Shay would put in the performances because he is a top professional, and most people know that in the game. You don’t take your family for an extended stay in Spain over the summer, and train with a Newcastle coach every day, so you are really fit for the start of the season – as Shay did last summer, if you are not totally committed to your profession.

And that concentrated training has shown up this season in the Irishman’s performances, because Shay has been magnificent for the Magpies.

It remains to be seen whether Newcastle will sell Shay Given, and a lot will depend on other ways in which Joe Kinnear can generate some transfer money.

But we wouldn’t be too surprised if Newcastle part with Given, but only if Man City put in a bid close to double figures foir the brilliant Irishman. We need other positions strengthened that much.

Not a good scenario but we may need to do it if Joe cannot generate money other ways.

• Turkish Magpie

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:27 PM

As Shearer said on MOTD it would be a MASSIVE loss

• M.Stockley

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM

if its gonna happen it just should soon cuz im sick and tired of all the speculation….same with nzogbia, its boring and its just so depressing reading how our best player is leaving EVERY single day…

• Tom_Toon

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Comment 2 is not me, it is the village idiot again.

Did anyone hear Shearer say Downing was ‘£25-30mil’ on MOTD.

I just laughed.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Imposters back again, he’ll most likely be trying to stop people clicking my link. Cant do anything on this site anymore without muppets ruining it. Need to get this log in system sorted asap.

• Ross

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Losing Given will be a huge drop in morale for the rest of the squad and the fans. Our most loyal and passionate player leaving will be the perfect indication of the way the club is being ran and the direction in which we are going.
    It’s quite clear Shay loves the club like any fan does, and it seems he’s had enough of his time at the circus which is a real shame like.
    We have Harper and Krul who are both excellent goalkeepers so we wouldnt need a replacement, but its still not something i want to see happen.
    I’m quite confident to say that had it not been Given in goal against Liverpool they’d have put far more than 5 past us, because he made 4 or 5 saves that were world class, proving why he’s one of if not the best shot stopper in the league.
    The only problem is, like you say Ed the fact that we are so weak in other areas of the field. It’s almost as if we’re being forced to sacrifice Shay, just to build up a little strength in depth, which should come as standard for a club that apparently has ‘money to spend for the right players at the right price’.
    I just cant see the logic in Selling one of your best players, to bring in average players elsewhere in the squad. It defies common sense, if you have a fantastic goalkeeper in your team, surely you keep him and spend money to advance elsewhere on the field, thus making you a better team. Not sell that fantastic player, just so we can have a few more average players elsewhere because the numbers in the squad are terrible. A real shame.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Comment 7 is again not me.

What a sad git the imposter is, bet it is AO actually. He says he has a life but really he just spends it on here, it is even worse when he is a Spud.

• Fans Should Own the Club

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:37 PM

For what it’s worth, an earlier poster said that they got to the 77 clicks and all they got was a link to a “RickRoll”–a you tube of Rick Astley’s god-awful “Never Gonna Give You Up,” or whatever the title is.

• Cooper

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:39 PM

This site comments wise has gone massively down hill since this time last year..

• Tom_Toon

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Cooper – Aye, especially with the imposter, it will be sorted by monday though apparently.

And again, comment 12 is not me.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Just posted this in the previous thread, this is the second time ive posted since before the game today. My only other comment was a similar message in the previous post.

• Ally

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:44 PM

atletico madrid want to swap Jose Enrique for Luis Garcia

• Tom_Toon

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Ive just got a great pic of her pasty and back button!

• danuneek

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:46 PM

As much as I love him, he’s produced his best for us and if we can get over £10m, we should do it and then give Harper the jersey with Krul as sub. We must face the fact we have a tight ass owner and therefore must create funds to strengthen the team. We are not short of quality goal keepers, but we are short of quality in center midfield. I just want to know where the Milner money has gone, surely not all on Xisco. We should have about half that left plus the £10m for Given, that’s £15m on a holding player, creative player and full back. That should do us until the summer when Owen, Viduka and N’Zogbia leave. Then we need a quality partner for Martins, another winger, and just general strengthening. Thats my thoughts anyway, whether it will happen – I doubt it.

• Milly

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:48 PM

The only position we can take the hit is between the sticks!
    Great lad, great keeper, but bigger needs else where, say to Shay “Ta very much” and use the cash to get in a right back, plus some pace centre mid and upfront!
    We arn’t what we used to be and the sooner we accept that and get on with it the better!!

• Tom_Toon

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:49 PM

18 isnt me.

Ally – Where you see/hear that?

I would say no deal to it though.

• Fans Should Own the Club

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Losing Given will not kill us if we get epic money for it. Harper’s superb from what I’ve seen of him.

• Ally

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:50 PM

• Boater

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:52 PM

OK – Shearer’s MOTD analyses makes me seriously wary of him ever becoming our manager- a mix of tosh and obvious statements.

Let Given go – 1) because we could get decent money to spend on other areas and 2) because I still have a feeling that we will see improvements to the results… trust me.

Ross – when you say Liverpool would have scored this many or that many – true BUT that’s missing the point for me. He sometimes makes simple saves look more dazzling than they are… he’s got the hollywood jumps to a ‘t’.. secondly, over a season with better organisation over the defence, knowing when to come for set pieces, distribution and clearing of the lines we will see an overall improvement at the back…. I’m sure about that.

• toony soprano

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:52 PM

I see ASBO boy is back, his mates go out chasing chicks and he has to stay in getting cheap thrills, i reconised last night that he had issues about intimate feelings with his own family.

Football- Loads of effort – lets not forget zola has put a boost of morale into WHAM so i think we certainly tried and played some good attacking football. The point is other than Shay, Owen, Guti and Baye we have only avarage players. Our squad is far too small, We are not alone, the question is are they good enough to keep us in the EPl???

I dont see anything special coming in the window

• Fans Should Own the Club

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Tom_Toon, for anyone with eyes to see, it’s pretty clear when it’s NOT you posting, so don’t sweat it.

The Changeling has been here on and off all day and mostly people have ignored it.

It got tired and went away, I guess, because it got no traction with its silly posts. I’d urge you to ignore it.

BTW, the story about Luis Garcia seems to be in the NOTW, but I refuse to click through to that toilet paper… not a dime of ad revenue from me for those slimeballs.

And this is my last post of the day.

• toony soprano

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Ross- selling Given may well have a negative impact, simliar to Waddle, Gazza and Beardsley

A Statement of intent – We are now a selling club??

• Boater

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:56 PM

The perception of Given is something like a martyr to the cause and showing unprecedented loyalty. I have never bought that… he has always struck me as knowing he’s on to a cushy number at the toon and being too lazy to seek out a new club.
    He has twice threatened transfer requests when dropped for a few games.. I don’t buy the image you portray.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Boater – Did you hear that he said Downing was ’25-30mil’.

• Ally

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:57 PM

did big Al say that Tom_Toon

• Ross

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Boater-i fully agree with you when you say that Given is weak in other areas, such as his commanding of the box, coming off his line to collect set pieces for example, however the hollywood saves he makes are fantastic, and i genuinly beleive other keepers wouldnt have a chance at getting to them. Look at when bassong was fouled today, but play kept going, Shay was down like a shot scrambling accross his goal line to produce a top drawer save, even though it wouldnt have mattered whether he found the net or not.
    I suppose im just feeling incredibly negative about the club on the whole at the minute. I’ve always tried to be an optomist and find the positives with us but its starting to become incredibly hard.

Tom_toon (the real tom toon, and its quite easy to spot him, so if the imposter insists on replying it will be somewhat pointless)-being a portugal fan, what do you think of Raul Meireles? We are linked with him in the news of the world so theres a 99% chance its complete rubbish, but i’m simply curious as to what kind of player he is and how you rate him, as im clueless if im honest.

• toony soprano

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Boater- Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle weren’t too lazy to find a club, they would all get in my NUFC all time 11,

Hhe may have been brassed off about being dropped, 11 years mate- you cannot argue – the mans been loyal, did you watch today he looked really lazy .

15million plus is an offer you cannot refuse

• Dan157

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Tom_Toon

I have been having this problem today as well. They posted that link under my name also. Ed emailed me today and said it will be sorted out by early next week which I’m pleased about. They have been using my name throughout the day saying stupid things and posting that link above. The worse thing is that some people believed that it was actually me.

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:03 AM

If we ddon’t sell Given now we’ll never get a thing for him.
    Sad to say it, but, when a player has been at a club as long as Shay & hes still worth top dollar & we have perfectly good back up, we should sell.
    If this was manure, he’d be gone now cuz of his age & the need to to get cash in for new players, they never hang on too long that they can’t get decent cash.

• Dan157

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:04 AM

by the way who is that girl they keep posting the link to?

• Tom_Toon

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Ally – Ye, unfortuneately.

Ross – Box to box, can pass, can tackle, can do everything he has an absolute beleter of a shot from distance too.

• Boater

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Tom_Toon… I must have been helping myself to a beer during that little gem – so missed it. He needs help if he thinks that.

Toony Soprano… you could say the same about Milner but – like him Given – beyond the PR damage – wouldn’t set us back in football terms as much as people are making out. Bassong, Guthrie, Beye, Oba, Zog, Owen, Guti, Barton are players which would set us back if we were to loose I think. Duff has been better of late n’all in fairness – much more direct. Colo still overall a decent centre-halve in that cursed position… right I’m rambling now.

• Ross

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:12 AM

i too did not hear wor al claim that downing was worth hilarious money like that, slightly worrying!

• toony soprano

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Boater- Ramble on!!, did i sound like Robert Plant there.

I agree that he has his price, if we were going in the right direction then fair doo’s , we aren’t at the moment though. if Ashley gets in the players we need then flogs Shay to a top team not a mug team then fair enough, some of the shite that we have been li nked with worries me – mido, Lovenkrads etc

• Tom_Toon

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Ross –

Lineaker: ‘So what do we think about the Downing situation, will he move?’

Shearer: ‘I dont think so, what use is £25-30mil for Boro anyway?

• Tom_Toon

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:21 AM

39 isn’t me.

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:29 AM

NUFC may be forced (by Shay Given) to sell Shay Given (cuz he wants to go)
    That’ll be the ONLY reason he leves.

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Anyone noticed that Shay doesn’t dive into attackers feet since harewood, he stops short & gets lobbed.

• Jarvis

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Tom_Toon – hard lines at having your name commandeered by a highly-sexed teenager in his chav bedroom which smells of randy teenage self-pleasure-sweat. We know when your posts are real not real.. one is a decent point well-made on the toon and the other is a waste-of-space little t**t’s boring attempt to get a reaction.

They will probably take another name from another decent forum regular and move on to make them look stupid.

• danuneek

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:51 AM

If Man City want Given, then I would rather do a swap deal with a couple of players. Given for Johnson, Onuoha and Sturridge. Thats what we should be aiming for, not money that Ashley can line his pockets with.

• Boater

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Ross –

Given had a good game today I’m with you there. This talk of ‘can’t wait until the transfer window closes’ is worryingly what you hear from selling clubs. It’s very hard to remain positive and we are pretty unique as a club in terms of size – and also having come so close to success in the past 12 years – to be where we are – on a never-ending merry-go-round of disappointment, club scandal and underachievement.

Having said all that.. AO was on here the other day laughing at 15,000 of us for turning up to see Michael Own sign and – as daft as that is – other supporters would never understand that sort of thing – but I wouldn’t change it for the world. We have a collective solidarity as fans which is unlike any other club and trophies and success – as nice as they would be – don’t touch the pleasure I take when I meet a geordie for the first time and we talk about the 3-2 Barcelona, KKs return and the promotion season, Shearer’s impossible hat trick against Leicester 4-3, Bellamy against Feyenoord, on and on in finitum… the beginning of this season was as low as it gets but we are pulling away from that in – unspectacular fashion – under JK… there’s always hope.