The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Andy Carroll Has Made Telling Contribution For Newcastle

10:52 pm, Saturday, January 10th, 2009 by Ed Harrison · 42 Comments

Chris Hughton spoke after the 2-2 draw today with West Ham United today, and had special praise for young Andy Carroll, whose headed goal on 78 minutes secured a point for the Magpies.

andrew-carroll

Andy Carroll today – after scoring second goal

After the game Chris Hughton said:

“We showed a lot of spirit coming back,” “And I was very pleased for Andy to get the goal at the end.”

“Before the game it was a big opportunity for us to get three points at home, particularly after the last two league games.”

“But there was a period of this game at 2-1 down where we would have settled for the draw.”

“Then I thought that in that last period we could have gone on and won the game.”

Chris is so right about us possibly losing today, because West Ham opened the second half in a higher gear, and were starting to outgun us a bit.

And then Carlton Cole scored their second goal after 55 minutes, and the defense was nowhere to be seen, and it could really have been curtains for Newcastle.

Where the lads may lack quality they certainly don’t lack fight and spirit and that was the good thing to see from them – they can only do their best on the day, and they just didn’t give up in the second half – that’s the good news.

The bad news is we do not have enough quality in our squad, and it’s far too small in numbers. But we already knew that during last summer’s transfer window – so no excuses this time around.

Hughton talked about Geordie striker Carroll and his first senior goal at the club:

“In this period we are going through with the injuries, a young lad can come in to make up the numbers – but I think he has done more than that.”

“He has had a really telling contribution in the last two games.”

“In the first half at Hull he did very well, then tired towards the end of that game, but today he did more and got the goal.”

Carroll gave Matthew Upson a tough game today, and out-jumped the England defender rather easily to score his goal, and he placed the ball beautifully so that goalkeeper Green had no chance at all – an excellent headed goal.

But missing today was a strong defensive performance once captain Michael Owen had put us ahead, and we again ended up conceding 2 goals at home. In our last 5 league games at St. James’ Park we have conceded 12 goals, and that record just must improve.  The crowd of 47,571 were again magnificent today, in their support of the lads, and they saw a fighting performance, if some class seemed missing.

Hughton said the side had to recapture the solid defending that brought clean sheets at Hull, Portsmouth Middlesbrough and Chelsea in the last five away matches, but no clean sheets in the last 5 home games.

Chris continued:

“The pressure from our point of view is not to concede goals,”

“We’ve gone through a fair amount of games where we’ve looked reasonably solid and after getting the first goal today the last thing we wanted was for them to come up the other end and score.”

“West Ham were very good in possession and always had that threat with the two players up front. But for long periods we coped with it very well.”

West Ham looked more than a decent side today, and Zola has the side playing some good attacking football.

But they seem to be in worse shape than Newcastle financially, since Gianfranco has been told he will need to sell his star players in the summer, and start building up his squad from almost scratch. That doesn’t sound very good.

Tags: Newcastle News

42 responses so far ↓

• 1 Chrise // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Carroll did well today. I think we should give him more chances on the first team

• 2 RyanToon // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:02 PM

did well today, held ball up well but i dont think we should get too carried away with young andy

• 3 RyanToon // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:10 PM

good player like

• 4 MelbourneMag // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:15 PM

We look like what we are – a rudderless ship. Frankly, the club is screwed. I’m absolutely convinced we will be relegated this season. The resignation on the faces of the players was plain to see. They are coming to acknowledge that they, and their colleagues are average players in a very poor side and I reckon just about every last one of them will want away over the coming months. Sad. I’m 42 now. I’ve truly had enough of the perennial dose of cr*p and lies and transition periods.

• 5 Beast // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:16 PM

miles better than the clown!!! keep givin the lad the chances

• 6 inco // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:23 PM

jus heard southgates comments it sounds like boro have struck up a deal to keep him til the end of the season and then he will move to spurs.

• 7 toon toon // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:23 PM

toonking magpie i clicked yalls

• 8 Ross // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:23 PM

this i hate katy shit is annoying. Seriously its a newcastle blog, if you want to rely on other people clicking a button so you can see some lasses tits then you need to be off here altogether and out to try and find yourself a shag!

As far as Carroll goes, he’s done well against Hull but seemed to tire and put himself about again today, managing to get the goal he deserved. Fair play to him, hopefully he’ll continue to take his chances and make a claim for regular first team football. That hair’s a wind up though like.

• 9 JoshNufc91 // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:24 PM

why didnt zog start(fit enough for bench, fit enough to play)
    why is enrique still at the club
    why couldnt we get someone better than kinnear
    today feels like a loss
    jonas looks lost inside the box, he hesitated which is the sign of a sh*t player, even though he’s class he’s went off the boil a bit, needs some shooting practice
    2 points dropped to a poor side
    were crap

• 10 fostino // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:26 PM

cheer up melbourne mag, i know were in a bad position, but we still got a point today with key players out, and we nearlly sneaked the 3 points in the end. of course were sailing very close to the championship, but there’s also alot of other clubs that are in a worse position then us! in fairness joe has steadied the ship and unfortunately that is all i think he has the potential to do, but i think we’ll pull through and even a run in the cup could also be in the script!! of course id love to see some players come in and its disheartening when all we hear about is players going out but keep the faith, im anticipating a summer to change the fortunes of the toon for the good, whatever it may bring!!

• 11 Tom_Toon // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:27 PM

WDF! 14 is not me! And mos of the comments made today are not me, it is easy to tell.

Im off now because the muppet imposter, 14, is here yet again. Hope Ed sorts this out soon.

• 12 Tom_Toon // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM

My comments today are 303 on the thread beneath, on the Riise thread and on the Lovenkrands thread. The others aren’t me.

• 13 Tom_Toon // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:32 PM

22, **** off.

And can people please stop this ihatekaty bullocks.

• 14 Boater // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:32 PM

JoshNufc –

ZOg was recovering from a dead leg this week… Torres started on the bench for liverpool and he’s not too shabby like.

Enrique is at the club because he is a decent young pacey left back who is getting better progressively.

It is rumoured 20 people turned the job down – sure to be an exaggeration but basically no one wanted it at the time.

Jonas will never be a goalscorer – you don’t learn that at 27… he is a marauding winger who SHOULD have squared the ball when in… but he aint a s**t player as you mention.

On Carroll… the next couple of games should be interesting – he’s got his confidence goal to alleviate the pressure now… Can he grab his moment – I hope so.

• 15 Tom_Toon // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Boater – Jonas is 25 mate.

• 16 Todd // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:34 PM

FYI Tom Toon

Todd,

I am looking at putting a more formal naming structure in place where each
    reader would
    need to register – so duplicate names would not be allowed.

Should get this out early next week – I almost have it ready to go – just
    one snag I have to fix.

I know this is a growing problem.

Ed.

• 17 Tom_Toon // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:34 PM

ToonKing – That wasn’t me. Itwas the idiotic imposter, who is probably some snotty nosed fat yank kid (no offence – but it is the time he is on here).

• 18 ToonKing // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:35 PM

what a horrible mobile she has….

• 19 Tom_Toon // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Todd – Good news, but the imposter will probably commit suicide as he’ll have nothing else to do :lol:

I really pity him.

• 20 Tom_Toon // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:38 PM

31 – Sad, sad little boy. You’ll get a bigger kick by putting a bullet in your head mate. Actually, get a kinfe and run into it.

• 21 M.Stockley // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:39 PM

joshnufc, like i was saying to people earlier, west ham are are in extremly good form atm, they got draws away to chelsea and ‘pool… zola has them playing some good football and they were at full strength, we were not…. so dont be too disapointed with the result, look at the performances of jonas and guthrie imparticular.. there are positives and to be honest mate the way zoggy has acted this week he doesnt deserve to start, he comes across as a gobby child, it probably was cuz he had a dead leg against hull….. i agree we looked poor at times today, but bassong, gutrie and jonas made me proud today at the very least

• 22 Tom_Toon // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:42 PM

31 and 33 are both imposters. This is my first post since before the game today. Getting abit fed up of this like Ed.

• 23 Tom_Toon // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Not it isn’t because I have been out all day. 35 is not me.

• 24 micepie // Jan 10, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Given is great, but we’d be fine with Harper too.

Taylor – okay…should just be back up when Beye is fit.

Enrique – hope he stays even if we do get Riise, but he needs coaching on his passing.

Colo – steadyish, Looked good when he ventured further up the fiekd later and made some confident mf passes. If we got another cb to play with Bass, might be a good choice for holding mf sometimes.

Bass – very good again. I liked the way he threw Bellamy to the ground!

Jonas – excellent, hardly ever gives the ball away, and gets out of tight situations though would like to see him be able to attack more.

Zog – always much better when he comes on as a sub.

Geremi – it should be the end for him at SJP. Astonishingly bad.

Owen – useful and did pretty well.

Carroll – hope the goal will bring more.

Duff – okay, good passing though need someone a little more spectacular in this role.

Guthrie – pretty sound.

Did I just type all that? Might as well press submit then. Off out for a meal…

• 25 JoshNufc91 // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:01 AM

enriques a joke, all of you who support him are a reason why newcastles downfall has been so fast, i support every1 in a toon shirt but howay man the kids not good enough at all, we put up with too much sh*te at this club, if he was at another club some of you would be the first to slate him. open your f*****g eyes

• 26 M.Stockley // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:07 AM

joshnufc- jose wouldnt be my first choice, i hope we can get a left back in. but id keep him, hes inconsistant but young.
    also i defo try collo in dm… i think he’d be much better there.

• 27 Tom_Toon // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Enrique is better than Riise (on his form n the last 2 and a half seasons).

• 28 CLINT FLICK // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:11 AM

& shorey.

• 29 M.Stockley // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:12 AM

is this ihatekaty thing a virus?

• 30 The Game // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Enough with the ‘ihatekaty’ thing already. Go out and find yourselves some pie!

• 31 CLINT FLICK // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Sort of.

• 32 LoonyToon // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:13 AM

We’re shit and we know we are.

To be honest I would sell most of them.
    I’d keep Owen, Given, Bassong, Beye, Martins and Duff. Yes, Duff. At least he creates and gets the odd goal.

I’d possibly keep Guthrie too.

Jonas is our new Dyer. Works his socks off, looks canny but no end product, hates strong tackles, falls over and creates very little. Hopefully he’ll be shit hot next year.

NZogbia can eff off. Grumpy little wannabe shit. Can’t cross and doesn’t score. I’m sick of him. Spurs can have him. I’ll drive him there myself.

Why is it these players expect to be in a top club challenging for things but won’t work for it. Bugs the shit out of me. Players who are responsible for a team being relegated and then expect to be sold to a Champions league team. They never prove themselves but think they are the dogs bollocks. They want everything on a plate.

To tell you the truth I’m sick of the game. Modern day footballers are spoilt pricks and deserve no respect. Ok, I admit there are a few gems out there. But not that many.

Can you tell I’m absolutely sick of our club. I’m worn out with it all. Been through too much.

Ashley is just the straw that broke the camels back. A bloody big straw at that.
    He’s completely destroyed us and lets face it will not be puttng his hand is his pocket to any great extent.

We are a joke with no expectations other than to fill that wankers pockets.

Rant over.

I had to post this again because the first time it didn’t appear. Why is that? Usually it’s ok. Must be the language.

• 33 Tom_Toon // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Shorey is absolute guff, worse than Riise.

• 34 LoonyToon // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Why didn’t my previous post appear. Is it moderated for language now.

• 35 Tom_Toon // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:15 AM

How come it was me who started this whole thing, but i still cant see the video. Show some respect.

• 36 LoonyToon // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:16 AM

We’re shit and we know we are.

To be honest I would sell most of them.

I’d possibly keep Guthrie too.

Why is it these players expect to be in a top club challenging for things but won’t work for it. Bugs the shit out of me. Players who are responsible for a team being relegated and then expect to be sold to a Champions league team. They never prove themselves but think they are the dogs bollox. They want everything on a plate.

To tell you the truth I’m sick of the game. Modern day footballers are spoilt pr1cks and deserve no respect. Ok, I admit there are a few gems out there. But not that many.

We are a joke with no expectations other than to fill that w4nkers pockets.

Rant over.

• 37 CLINT FLICK // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:18 AM

TT
    yea, i was agreeing that Enrique was better than Riise-Then adding-& shorey-before people started going down that route again.

• 38 CLINT FLICK // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Seeing as hes been a flop again at villa.

• 39 Tom_Toon // Jan 11, 2009 at 12:22 AM

48 and 50 aren’t me.

• 40 JoshNufc91 // Jan 11, 2009 at 1:28 AM

guthrie wasnt great today, wouldnt exactly pick him out as being above the rest, everyone today was average. guthries corners never found a man, we do nowt from set pieces.
    enrique inconsistant? dont be silly hes conistent………consistently shite!

• 41 petey // Jan 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM

dunno why ur having a go at enrique, its geremi who u shud be having a go at…

he is the true useless one at newcastle atm. out with geremi!

• 42 Sav // Jan 11, 2009 at 11:38 PM

When I read ‘Andy Carroll Has Made Telling Contribution For Newcastle’ I thought he must’ve slipped Mike Ashley a few bob.

previous post: FT: Newcastle 2 West Ham 2 – Carroll Gets Equalizer