Kinnear Strives To Keep Owen And Given At Newcastle

Joe Kinnear has many problems still to solve at Newcastle United, but so far he’s done more than a decent job at confronting all the problems that exist for the manager of Newcastle United.

joe-kinnear-and-michael

Manager Joe Kinnear with Newcastle captain Michael Owen

Two problems on Joe’s dinner plate right now is how to keep our big Newcastle stars, Shay Given and Michael Owen, at the Tyneside club.

Kinnear has also shrugged off the Manchester City cheeky bid for Shay Given, after the Eastlands club bid less than £4m for the brilliant Irishman.

That’s hard to understand when they seem willing to pay £35M for Italian Gianluigi Buffon, who is just two years younger than Shay, and has never played in the Premier League.

That’s not to say Buffon is not a wonderful goalkeeper – there’s no doubt about that – and is one big reason that Italy are current World Cup holders.

Joe talked about his Irish compatriot – the great Shay Given this morning:

“In my eyes, Shay is still going nowhere.” “He’s got a major role here, as has Michael Owen.”

“And they both proved they are focused and committed to this club.”

“I think that, overall on Saturday, we were unlucky not to win the game against West Ham.”

“We created plenty of chances, scored two goals, had one disallowed and hit a post.”

“I was delighted with the effort.”

We were unlucky not to win the game on Saturday only because  of the couple of chances we had in the last couple of minutes, but we really didn’t deserve all 3 points since West Ham looked a very good side at St. James’ Park, and were extremely enterprising in their play – which was good to see.

But of course all managers look at the game from their side of things, and after all the lads came back with great fighting spirit after West Ham went 2-1 ahead, when we worried in case be would be buried by the London club.

As we’ve said before we have no problems with the fight and spirit Joe has put back into his Newcastle players – which our fans just love to see.

Now we just need more class in the squad – over to you Mike Ashley and Dennis Wise.

• magpie6699

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM

testing new password! First?

• Pons Aelius

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Anyone heard of a winger called Andrew Driver?

If so is he any good?

Apparently we’re trying to agree a fee with his club. (I think he plays for Hearts)

• beyethegreat

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:39 PM

has any 1 else noticed ed seems to have a different writing style

• Pons Aelius

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Cash-strapped Hearts are bracing themselves for a £1.5 million bid for English winger Andrew Driver, according to reports.

According to The Daily Mail, Toon boss Joe Kinnear had the youngster watched in the afternoon’s Edinburgh derby at Easter Road and reports indicate that the manager was very impressed with the 21-year-old.

Newcastle United are close to completing their signing of Danish winger Peter Løvenkrands on a free-transfer, and once that transaction is done-and-dusted, the Magpies are expected to sign the highly-rated Hearts-man for the stipulated fee.

SORRY, JUST REALISED THE SOURCE IS THE MAIL – IGNORE!

• Toon Graeme

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Trust me when I say we want Given and MO to remain here at NUFC.

Givens was a PR stunt which made our board (inc chairman) either stand up and be counted are remain in solum silence and elected to do the later and leave JFK to do all the talking and look stupid.

• Toon Graeme

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM

must correct – elected to do the later and leave JFK to do all the talking and look stupid (chairman)

• Toony

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I would traid Given for onouha and johnson, then buy Lita and Baines.
    Sell N´zogbia and buy Kightly or Eagles or some up and coming right winger. Then the squad would be:

……………………Harper……………………………
    Beye…….Colo………….Bassong……..Baines
    Kightly…..Johnson……Barton……..Guiterez
    ………………Smith………..Martins……………..

Subs: Krul, Taylor, Enrique, Guthrie, Duff, Carroll, Lita.

and take this danish aswell as cover. oh get rid of Owen, trade him for another cb maybe

• LATINAMERICATOON

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Guys! out of topic if we were kinear and were handed 30 m to spend in this window what would our team look like.

I would buy
    marcelo moreno martins shaktar aprox 10 m
    then I would sell zog and given would pick up 20 m
    i would then buy jorge valdivia for 8 m and buy matias fernandez from villarreal at 20 m . lastly I would buy orellana for 5 m
    leaving us with 2 m.

my team would be.

Harper
    beye colo bass enrique
    orellana fernandez valdivia jonas
    Martins Martins

Please post your teams

• Norway_the_lads

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Trond Olsen – forward/winger from Norway! Everton are on him.. Will be availbale for about 900.000 pounds!

Get Skjelbred (winger) aswell!

Cheap and young!

• beyethegreat

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:02 PM

LATINAMERICATOON // Jan 12, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I would buy
    marcelo moreno martins shaktar aprox 10 m
    then I would sell zog and given would pick up 20 m
    leaving us with 2 m.

my team would be.

Harper
    beye colo bass enrique
    orellana fernandez valdivia jonas
    Martins Martins

Please post your teams

as if we could get fernandez

• LATINAMERICATOON

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:37 PM

beye this is my dream team… not a chance in the world of that I know

• tino97

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Sounds dubious to me. This says to me I want to stay, but its out of my hands.

• Stuart79

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I’d sell Given today, only for £5m plus Elano and Johnson.

We’d be silly to turn a bid like that down. Only cos Harper is top class

• JonnyNufc

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Kinnears constantly giving subtle clues so we’ll all be ready for it.

“In my eyes”

Clear indication that he knows other people do not see things in the same way (ie Ashley/wise etc) so he seperates his opinion by using this term.

In other words.

Theres a very good chance Given & Owen will be off.

• JonnyNufc

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I think a lot of people are seriously underestimating what would happen if we let Shay Given go.

Harper is good, but he was never AS good as Given. His reflexes arent the same.

• punk skunk...

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Owen’s the one we would miss, his goal scorin’ record is second to none!..
    Harper’s a better ‘all round’ keeper, Shay’s good on the shots, but Harper has better command of his area…& positionin’!..

• bowburnmag

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:20 PM

One a consistent and dependable goal-stopper, the other a consistent goal-scorer (when available). Letting either go would be wrong. Letting both go would be madness. Madness I tells ya……

• punk skunk...

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Aye,
    madness indeed…But, we don’t have anyone close to Owen’s record as back up & we do with regard to Given!..

• bowburnmag

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM

punk skunk – it would be typical that our ‘understudy’ would be crocked within days of selling Given. Personally, I’d like them both to be around for a while provided they’re happy to stay. Incidentally punk, you have appear to have gone all ‘lower case’ on us…..

• punk skunk...

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Can’t see ’em both stayin’ & remainin’ happy, there’s no reason Harper should wait around for Shay’s injuries…Just to do an excellent job & be dropped ‘cos Shay gets the hump & whines thru the press when he’s fit again & not in the team…i.e. he’s disruptive, on that level…I think if someone comes in, does well, it’s their place to lose, not name walks back soon as fit again, it sends out a bad message…You’re right about him gettin’ injured if Shay goes tho’…Typical!..

…Yea, i f**ked up the new log in, so had to register in lower case!..Der!..
    LOL

• punk skunk...

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:39 PM

That’s pretty eagle-eyed of ya’, good memory!..
    …& i’m quite likin’ the old lower case, as it happens, nice of you to notice me new look tho’!..
    😀

• Glimt

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Norway_the_lads // Jan 12, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Trond Olsen is a great player. But he wouldn’t fit into NUFC tactics as the only position he plays well is as a left forward in a straight 4-3-3. That’s the reasob why he is so good at Bodø/Glimt, but didn’t succeed at Lillestrøm.

• Lasse

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Norway_the_lads

Trond Olsen would cost 2mill.
    But he is no good in a 4-4-2 system, his short spell at Lillestrøm proved that.
    He will only work i 4-3-3 or maybe 4-5-1.
    I would love to see him at Newcastle though.
    He was immense this season and more stable than ever.
    BAGS of pace
    Powerful shots
    Very good crosses
    Lets hope Newcastle knows about him 🙂
    Wonderful crosses

• Lasse

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Heia Glimt 🙂

• Doocey

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:20 PM

We’d miss Given like F**K!
    Best keeper in the league by a mile and Owen is one of the leagues best finishers.
    I’m still confident we’l keep them past January.
    As for Driver, heard about him, decent player, £1.5m worth a punt but I hope that doesn’t sum up the funds available at Newcastle.

• Sav

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:13 AM

Is that Drew Driver?

….I heard he was rat shit.

• I luv Sunderla-wha

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:22 AM

I think we should keep David Beckham and buy shaquille o’neil because a great attacker and could score us loads of baskets