Only Nicky Butt Back For Hull City Game

Newcastle United coach Chris Hughton says that only Nicky Butt will definitely be back for Newcastle for our important FA Cup 3rd round replay against Hull City on Wednesday evening at St. James’ Park.

nicky-butt-3

Nicky Butt – back in place of Geremi on Wednesday

And of the 7 senior players out through injury only local lad Shola Ameobi has any chance of being fit for the cup tie, and he will certainly not start, with Andy Carroll starting his 3rd game in a row after two good and encouraging displays for the Magpies.

The 27-year-old last week signed an extended deal to keep him at St. James’ Park until 2012, and Shola was delighted at signing, and it’s been quite a turnaround for him since almost leaving the club in the summer.

Hughton told nufcTV that Oba Martins, Joey Barton and Alan Smith are still a few weeks away from their returns:

“Only Nicky Butt will definitely be back from suspension,” “Other than that the nearest we’ve got is hopefully Shola.”“But the likes of Martins, Barton and Smith are still probably three weeks away.”

“So at the moment we’ve got to get the most out of what we’ve got.”

“It will be tough again but I think we’ll feel better for the way we finished against West Ham and for having crept up the table a little bit as well.”

We don’t think it will take Oba Martins 3 weeks to come back, after he has his groin operation today in Munich, Germany – we would even expect him to be available a week come Saturday.

For those of you who have access to nufcTV there’s a great interview with Andy Carroll today, who says he was stunned when he scored the goal against West Ham, and wasn’t sure exactly what to do, and he just the crowd were going mad.  He said he was so happy to have scored with his parents and two brothers watching in the stands.

But he seems very down to earth and takes nothing for granted, and when asked if he thought he could score again on Wednesday – he said he first had to make the team.

It will be a great interview to read once it comes out in print – a real Geordie lad living his dream at St. James’ Park.

But that’s exactly what the youngster needs to do, and they are two good displays from Andy which show a lot of promise – but we don’t want to get carried away – well not too much anyway. 😀

• Pons Aelius

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Howay Andy, let’s see you get your first hat trick against Hull!

It’s about time we give Kazenga Lua Lua a chance in the first team too

• bowburnmag

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Woooooooo…..a hoo. Actually that implies sarcasm but I like Nicky Butt. I feel slightly vindicated in my argument the other day that he’s a better option than Geremi whether he’s slightly off-form or not. Neither are the future of NUFC but Nicky Butt definitely still has more left in the tank.

• Turkish Magpie

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:45 PM

here are 3 articles from Sky sports

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4783177,00.html- GOOD

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4783792,00.html- GOOD

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4784385,00.html – GOOD/BAD(because i want Carroll to have a full game, but what happened if he or Owen took an injury?)

I would like people to copy and paste these links (from my comment) and say weather they’re good or bad as i’ve done, i havent done this often but i usually get a mixed reaction

• bowburnmag

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Andy Carroll to notch again on Wednesday? Gotta be on the cards now?…. Little scoring spree from now til end of Jan. While no doubt taking the attention from little or no activity in the transfer market.That’s just me being a little vindictive.

• stevep

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Whens Beye back? we can’t keep playing Taylor at RB!
    We should be able to get a result against Hull as I’m pretty sure Phil Brown will put out a weakened team due to now wanting to lose any players to injury and therefore jeapordising any chance of keeping them in the league – 18th in form guide for last 8 games http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/PR/oform.html

• Girth

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Give the kids a run out man!!!
    All this about how we seem to have some promising youngeters in an ever improving youth system…..well……give them a go! Whats the point in just keeping them there? Have some balls and give them a run out!
    Wenger, Moyes and of course (“you never win anything with kids”) ferguson have never been scared, give them a chance to prove themselves i say!

• beyethegreat

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:53 PM

bowburnmag // Jan 12, 2009 at 4:42 PM

i too like butt htough i dont think he has the legs to play in a regular basis which is what happens to players as they get older

in terms of carroll i dont think we should expect to much not coz hes not good enough but because he is young and inexperienced

if we hype him up too much when he goes on a bad run he will be ridiculed which can be tough for a young player especially if he is being ridiciled by the fans of the club he supported as a child

• punk skunk...

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Hull are gettin’ the old wake up call atm…
    …Could be a long 2nd half for them…We must send them on their way!..

• craig s chisholm

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:00 PM

forget this lot for a second…………..martins agent has said he is open for a move away from newcastle and that he would look at any offers. thats owen, martins, given, butt, harper and zogs all wanting to leave. plus viduka going anyway. nice one ashley , i love the way you are’driving us forward in 2009′!!!!

• kajman

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:18 PM

even all

• Toonmadtom

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Given
    Geremi Taylor Bassong Enrique
    Collocini
    Jonas Duff
    N`zogbia
    Owen Carroll

Then we could maybe try some yongsters out for the second half maybe.

• Tom

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Craig, when has Harper said he wants to leave?

Toonmadtom, it would be crazy to break up the Coloccini/Bassong partnership, especially as it would mean putting Taylor in at centreback! I agree with the midfield, but put Butt or Guthrie in the holding midfield role.

I’d actually like to see Edgar get the holding role, I think he could play quite well in it, as an out and out defensive midfielder (i.e. he isn’t allowed to cross the half way line).

• M.Stockley

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:46 PM

craig you are way too negative my friend…. harps and butt have never said they want to leave…and to be fair with oba this is his agent and im certainly not reading into it….. i agree though ashley has a funny way of showing us hes serious about our club and i agree these are dark times but on thetransfer front until it happens im not buying it, with ins or outs….. im concerntrating on supporting the team!

• AltaBatalJoneN

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM

@ M.Stockley

“Negative” is the middle name of Newcastle fans..
    I had decided to stop writing comments on here because of the negativety, but I need to say a couple of things first…

< 1st. I don’t like negative people, i don’t like judging people and I don’t like “besserwissers”.

2nd. I was so unbelievable happy when Carrol to scored. NOT because it was the equalizer or because it won us a point, but because it gave many fans on here something to think about. Sometimes I wonder if people who use this blog really are Newcastle fans, or Mackems or whatever…

There has been an ongoing debate of who Newcastle should sell/ get rid of when the window opened, and I was really shocked when I read so many hostile, angry and backstabbing messages from people who should always be positive and supporting towards the players of our team. And I could not belive it when so many demanded that CARROL should get “kicked” out along with many others..

what surprises me is that it is the youngsters that get most of the criticism, and as a retired footballer from Norway I now what I talk about when I say ( and I have said it before on here) that : CONFIDENCE IS THE KEY FOR ANY FOOTBALLER!!!!!!

Newcastle fans do NOT allow the players to get it!!

Instead they hide on the field, try to avoid getting involved in play because they are scared like shite of what happens when they do a mistake.. and they will do, cause they are only human!!

And last I have to say that DESTINY is a funny guy.. and the irony of detiny is even more funny:
    Although I was never a big fan of him, I must say that it must burn for some of the newcastle boo boys to see Wigan competing in the very top of the table and a place in Europe with Titus Bramble as a regular, while Newcastle fighting for theire lives to avoid relegation. PUT ALL THE SUPERSTARS IN THE WORLD IN THE TEAM and after a few weeks they too would be scared of you. when a footballer turn his focus on NOT TO FAIL, THEN HE WILL!!!

I hope Andy Carrol keep scoring, and I hope Jose Enrique keep outrunning players like Bellamy, and I hope all the other youngsters will succed, and I hope Newcastle swap Given for Johnsen and Sturridge and I hope Newcastle sign Per Ciljan Skjelbred!!!

…and thats all from me.

The biggest Newcastle United fan of Norway.

• Toon Graeme

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Im sure I just saw a link on setanta saying Geremi had turkish interest. Ddint read it as Setanta website was too slow and could not be buffed to wait for it to open.

Kinnear will play strong team poss same bar Geremi than Saturday.

If we wrap it in the qst 45 then get the big lads off!

• Toon Graeme

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:40 PM

@ AltaBatalJoneN

Good point mate. Who has been slagging Carroll off. The only critisim is that he lacks the finishing but thats due to the fact he aint had regular 1st team outings.

Jose ‘The Bull’ aint going anywhere fast as we aint getting anyone to replace him as yet. He managed to keep a hold of Bellamy at times and Lennon against the spuds. So a few bad passes. Just like the rest of the team.

It always interests me all the names that get banded around here on people we should sign from the unknown to the plain enrealistic.

I have a feeling mosy of the players mentioned are from FIFA 08 and Football Manager.

My beef if with Ashley and Lambiarse the worlds crapest chairman. Face and voiceless idiot.

Statement of intent – prove it – 5pm feb 2nd.

• JonnyNufc

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Alta

the fact you live in Norway probably has a whole lot to do with it. You dont have to put up with all the negativity surrounding Newcastle we get actually living over here…so you see no problems.

Realistically we’ve gone from Allardyce coming in and ending up winning 2 games in 14, new owner taking place, Keegan a legend coming in again, the same legend leaving because of a petty dissagreement (claiming he didnt have enough control), lack of understanding of what happened atall for most of us, the owner putting the club up for sale following this, kinnear…a guy whos been out of the game for years and years coming back to manage us & the press taking the piss the entire time.

We’re currently already leading the table of pens against easily with 8 already this season, 1 away from the record of ALL of last season, we’re regularly said to have the most embarassing defence in the entire league – in terms of purely laughable errors, include the own goals, offside goals, last minute equalizers or our last minute misses, incorrect sending offs….being top of the injury table near every single year.

Now you have all the players wanting to leave & the new owner having invested a net total over 4 windows so far of 3 million in improving our squad.

If you’re feeling positive about us after all of this your a miracle. Im tellin ya.

Newcastle is one of the most emotionally draining clubs to follow possible with all the bs we get.

Certainly eventful tho lol

• bowburnmag

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I think it said Geremis was interested in going for a Turkish Bath.

• pubcat

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I know there is no chance it will be, but I would like the team against Hull to be:

Harper

Zog
    Ranger/or Lovenkrands if eligible
    Xisco

• Don

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:37 AM

AltaBatalJoneN

An owner who has invested virtually nothing so far in the team
    A DOF who put the whole 1st team up for sale without replacements
    A tactically inept manager
    Players who are on more money a week than most earn in 2 years,
    Players who want to jump ship
    Players that are just not good enough or commited enough.
    But its the fans fault, wake up mate

• I luv Sunderla-wha

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:20 AM

I Love this man, Butt, he’s a great Butt he is super hot, i hope he’s not hairy

• Toon_Sydney

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:27 AM

butt? give kazenga lua lua a turn , whoever mentioned collocini to play in cm before has got to be jokin leave the bassong partner ship flowin