No Place I’d Rather Be Than At Newcastle – Guthrie

Danny Guthrie continues to improve his game on Tyneside, and at only 21 years old he has already made 19 appearances for Newcastle and has two goals so far this season. He also seems to love playing for the club, and says there’s no place he’s rather be than at Newcastle – that’s nice to hear.   😀

danny-guthrie-silver

Danny Guthrie – wants to play as many games as possible

Both Newcastle and Danny himself have to be pleased with the start the former Liverpool player has made to his start on Tyneside, and he looks just one terrific buy for the club.

We have a game tomorrow night of course when we play Hull City in the 3rd round replay at St. James’ Park and hopefully we can get through to the 4th round, but we’ll have to improve our game from last Saturday to do that.

Danny talked this morning to the Newcastle Journal and started with the FA Cup:

“The FA Cup only becomes a distraction if you pick up injuries and suspensions, but I’m loving the fact I’m playing so much so I’ve don’t see it as a distraction at all,”

“Every game is another game and I want to play as many as I can, that was my aim at the start of the season.”

Danny has a great attitude and a good temperament and he is just hoping that Newcastle can strengthen the squad aby new signings and getting the injury room less busy than it is right now.

Danny continued:

“It’s notorious here for injuries and it has been amazing how many we have picked up this season,”

“If we can get a few of those players back it will give us a massive lift.”

“We have a good set of players, we just don’t have a very big squad and when you have as many players missing as we do, it’s hard.”

“I expect the squad will be strengthened during the transfer window. I hope that happens, I’d welcome the competition for places.”

“Whatever club you are at, you want that competition. If we can get a few new players in this month it will sharpen everybody up and that can only be a good thing.”

Guthrie has had loans at Southampton and Bolton Wanderers in the past two seasons – so he can get some games, with it hard to break through into a strong and experienced Liverpool team, but he seems delighted to be playing regularly on Tyneside.

Danny added:

“I’m just pleased to be playing first and foremost,” “That was why I came here, to play first-team football.”

“A lot of things have gone on at the club and there have been good days and bad days, but we can’t do anything about what happens off the pitch. We have to improve as a group of players.”

“We’re only a few points off relegation and we know we need to improve and do it quickly.”

Danny is a good lad, first and foremost, and he along with Bassong are the poster boys for what our new strategy is at the club now – buy young players for reasonable transfer fees and develop them at the club.

We need an excellent scouting mechanism to do that successfully – but Guthrie, Bassong, and Carroll this season have shown that strategy can work – and work well.

• The Real Entertainers

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Its funny, as fans we all want big money signings.

Yet in the summer we spent quite big on Colo and Xsico and probabley will have to on Jonas.

Yet to two i’m most happy with are the cheapest Guthrie and Bassong, costing under 5 million for both of them!

• stevep

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:59 AM

good words from danny, hopefully we’ll sign some decent players and not sell any of our better players (inc Zogs) in transfer window

• toonarmyuk

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Yeah, definitely a good signing for us. And at 21 he can only get better. We still need someone in that AM position who can be really strong going forward though.
    I think I noticed someone post it the other day, but what I wouldnt give to have Emre back!

• lesh

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Re “There is no place I would rather be than playing for Newcastle. We just have to push on in the second half of the season and get up the league.”

Glad somebody’s happy and willing to fight the fight.

Let’s have more like Danny, a star in the making!!

• spiderpig

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM

no good keeping unhappy players no matter how good they are.most of the foreigners like the zog,come to the toon as a gateway to the premiership and then want to be anywhere but the north east.sad fact of life but true.

• Ericles

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Good to hear players talking like this. I am now wondering when Zog and Owen are going to make such positive remarks. The Quashie rumour needs quashing. Anyway it is a Mirror story and we know they get 83.33% of their stories wrong. To go and get the likes of Quashie would smack of desperation on the part of NUFC and Alzheimers on the part of Joe.

• sirjasontoon

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Seems like a decent lad Danny…good luck to him.

Transfers any news…part from Nigel Q?

C’mon Mike spend some cash.

• Intergalactic Milkman

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Although it probably 90% BS from the mirror, think I’d puke if we signed a player of Quashie’s standing. Signing the Guthries and Bassongs of this world is the way to go if we’re cash strapped, not cack like Quashie and Ferguson. Quashie’s not even a has-been, more like a never-was!

Not sure Butt strolls back into our midfield for the Hull game after the way N’zogbia played in CM???

• Marty-Toon

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:39 AM

This Guy and Bassong are playing Brilliant and are worth 5 times their value,ABSOLUTE STEAL.
    The amount of work he has had to do to clean up after BUTT and GEREMI,he deserves a medal.
    He has bags of energy and a good passer,i reckon a GERRARD in the making

• Raffo

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:40 AM

I agree, I think trying Zog in the centre for the attacking flair is worth a shot, something Ive been suggesting for a while on here and on 606.

Wheres David Craig these days?!

I know we need bodies, but Quashie? FFS

• Ericles

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:45 AM

I reckon Guthrie and Zog as CM’s, especially with Bassong behind them. This is the way to go forward Joe, OK? Now bring in LuaLua and some others too. That way we can leave off trying to buy has-beens, never-will-be’s, cannabees. Dennis Wise seems to have his eyes on more cast-offs than even my granny had knickers.

• Toon_Sydney

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:07 AM

nothin but respect for this lad , new lad were linked with

Newcastle United Football Club are plotting a bid for Daniel Fox.
    source (www.fansfc.com)

• RyanToon

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:12 AM

danny guthrie, our steven gerrard imo

• arctoa

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:37 AM

He’s a bit lightweight at the minute but he has the potential to become the boss of our midfield for years to come. Definitely a good signing and at a bargain price, too. We need more players like him.

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:06 PM

And as rumours go this one is quite disturbing. Aston villa plan to bid £3.5 million. With part of that value made up by Nicky Shorey going the other way.

Premiership Latest is where I read it.

• davcon22

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Great pro,and doing a job for the club,in stark contrast to the arrogant french twat!!