News That Newcastle About To Sign Steve Finnan

There is news coming out of Spain right now that Hull target Steve Finnan is set to become Joe Kinnear’s first signing, after his club Espanyol accepted a bid of £1.3M from Newcastle United today.

steve-finnan-3

Steve Finnan – on way to Newcastle?

Reports in the English press have been saying that 32 year-old Steve would sign for Hull City, but apparently Espanyol have not accepted the terms offered by The Tigers, and have today accepted an improved offer from Joe Kinnear and Newcastle. and we think this a good short term deal for Newcastle for a very experienced full back.

Joe Kinnear has been scouting the league looking for an experienced right-back to step-in in place of the injured Habib Beye, and Steve Finnan seems to fit the bill perfectly. But of course Steve had tremendous experience in the Premier League with Liverpool, and can play in either full back position, and we think, even though he’s 32 years old now, that he will be a good acquisition to the squad for that money.

Espanyol’s decision came after being dissatisfied with Hull`s proposal to pay the transfer fee in installments, over a full three years, which is the major reason they seemed to have pulled the plug.

Steve is still a good player and of course played for Kevin Keegan at Fulham FC where he played 173 times with 6 goals, and he was a Newcastle target under Bobby Robson before moving to Liverpool in 2003, and we had hoped at the time that Bobby would have brought him to Newcastle at that time.

Steve, who was born in Limerick, Ireland, played 145 times for Liverpool before moving to Espanyol in the summer, and he will no doubt be delighted if he moves to Tyneside.

We think this is accurate news, and don’t be surprised if Steve is thrust into the team at left-back tomorrow at Blackburn. Steve Finnan reminds us of the way Joe Kinnear used to play full back for Spurs – a good compact and safe full-back, who doesn’t give much away – and of course Steve is Irish too.

In short – we think this is a decent short term move for the club, as he can play at left or right full back, and we’re rather impressed Joe and Dennis have moved so quickly to tie the deal up.

• Brettoon

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:41 PM

blah

• Spyro

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I read the reason he didnt go to hull was becouse he failed the medical and has a long term thigh injury. Not sure if its a risk we should be taking with such low funds available.

• lesh

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:47 PM

You sure about the currency of your rumours?

If you look at the bootm of this article

you’ll see:

UPDATED: It is understood that since going to press – the Newcastle United offer has been withdrawn.

Does this mean we should expect another official announcement from the club’s website?s this another announcment

• Mark-o

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I hope we do geet him he was quality at liverpool! Good competition for Beye if they can both stay fit!!

• Tom_Toon

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Finnan would be a good signing because:

– He is only going cost about £1.3mil.

– He is much better than Lucas Neill.

– He will keep Taylor out of the team who is poor and unsettles the whole defence.

– He has prmier league experience.

– Good, honest, hard working player.

• Girth

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Lesh

scary, was just about to post that myself. people get far to carried away man dont even see whats in front of them!!
    Im sick of this crap and personally im gonna just wait until we get an official anouncment off the club!

• Toon Graeme

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Go on Dennis son, nice wheeling and dealing :-).

Why not finnan? Shall we have a repeat of yesterday and call him old and past it and rubbish like always happens????

• Toon Graeme

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Didnt see that link before I posted as was busy and took ages to type (working too).

Well another reported one bites teh dust!

• Stuart79

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM

It’s not going to happen!

• Toon_Sydney

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:56 PM

wat a deal not goin through involving nufc- u dont see that often ..(sigh)

• Nick 69

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:57 PM

the bids been withdrawn so it aint gonna happen

• brownrob

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I think Mike checks the blog and has a player lined up, then the blog gets hold of we are about to sign someone, we moan, Mike gets paranoid and then cancels the deal! 😀

• murphy

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM

haha, that’s funny, perhaps it means another deal has gone through and newcastle no longer need him? maybee he was back up? you never know with this club!

• craig s chisholm

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM

i think this one might happen, good player and abgs of experience and drive, its what we need for our second half of the season. 32 is not too old at all if he keeps in good nick too. i hope this one works out. the reason it all fell through with hull is cos they wanted to pay it in dribs and drabs over three years but newc came in with 1.3 in cash up front. espanyol accepted this. fingers crossed. finnan never failed a medical at hull – brown has already confirmed he did not fail a medical.

• Stuart79

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM

These stories are of course all rumours.

We could be working really hard behind the scenes to bring in 2 midfielders, 2 full backs and a striker.

Fair do’s it’s unlikely but it’s possible,

Ok so it isn’t possible and we won’t signing anyone!

• sirjasontoon

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Lets all sing to cheer ourselves up…YAWN.

Let’s get excited, and I just can’t hide it.
    I’m about to lose control and I think I like it.
    I’m so excited, and I just can’t hide it.
    I know, I know, I know, I know baby I want you.
    I want to love you, feel you, wrap myself around you.
    I want to squeeze you, and please you.
    I’m so excited, can’t get enough!
    I’m so excited!

Steve Finnan is pap let’s be honest…what happened to signing players in there prime or nearing their prime?

Total Donkey.
    Clearly this is just bargain basement crap.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAWWWWWWWWW!

• Dan_Scott157

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Some more news coming out that Martins is desperate to leave.

• Toon Graeme

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:00 PM

If it did go through and was true – you have to admit that was a good one for Dennis to do – jump on straight away.

Well lads face it thats it until the usual weekend rubbish we get in the papers – til probably tuesday or wednesday (by which time we have even less time in the xfer window).

Lets turn our attentions to what we can have a good fact based speculate – tomorrows match and if any 1st team regulars are back in the squad.

Given as always
    Taylor (yey)
    Colo
    Bassong (go on son)
    Zog (not much from his agent lately)
    Jonas
    Butt
    Gurthie (go on daniel son)
    Owen
    Carroll

• sirjasontoon

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Seen that somewhere yesterday Dan.

• harrier

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:04 PM

surely if we withdrew the offer we have somebody else lined up. They said they would go for a scatter shot approach to transfers

• beyethegreat

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:04 PM

sirjasontoon // Jan 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Lets all sing to cheer ourselves up…YAWN.

Let’s get excited, and I just can’t hide it.
    I’m about to lose control and I think I like it.
    I’m so excited, and I just can’t hide it.
    I know, I know, I know, I know baby I want you.
    I want to love you, feel you, wrap myself around you.
    I want to squeeze you, and please you.
    I’m so excited, can’t get enough!
    I’m so excited!

Total Donkey.
    Clearly this is just bargain basement crap.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAWWWWWWWWW!

lol

• Stuart79

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:04 PM

That team will get us relegated!

• sirjasontoon

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Toon G…You not starting with Finnan : )

• Dan_Scott157

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Pompey have agreed a fee with Liverpool for Jermain Pennant for around £2 million. Would be an ideal signing for us and would cost very little. Why are we not in there for him, especially if Geremi is leaving. In fact that Geremi money would just about pay for him.

• Brettoon

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:05 PM

I dont want a useless Liverpool reject!

• sirjasontoon

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM

2 million decent for pennant.

• reillers

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I wish. What a signing it would be. That is exactly the type of player we need. Not only is the lad an outstanding defender but he’s got loads of experience in the Prem at the top level, with Liverpool and with Ireland, he’s not past it, and he’s not a wee lad with “loads of potential.”
    He wont take time to adapt to the Prem.
    He left Liverpool not because he wasn’t good enough but because he wasn’t one of Rafa’s players. They lost an excellent defender that day that cost them I think and everyone but Rafa seemed to think that.

He’s played with wee Given (and Duff as well) so he’ll be familiar with him, his calls, there’s trust there. Given will trust him, something you couldn’t say about any of the other defenders who are some of the most unreliable players in the Prem and who seem to make it their personal mission to make Given’s life in goals a living hell. I’m sure Given would be pretty happy if he came.

..That is if the wee lad (please God) is still at Newcastle.

But I doubt it will happen. Like all things in Newcastle, like all good things they are either a smokescreen and really not that good after all like the likes of Colo. Or are around long enough to get their soul crushed..Given.

All we seem to want to buy is random “potentials” or players who are well past their sell by date. Players like Finnan, players who aren’t just random potentials flown in who take half a season to find their feet here, getting used to the pace of the game and the life of the Premiership and the other with the exception of two or three games where he’s had us all convinced he’s a good player, he spends the rest of the season crushing our souls when we discover what a flop he is.
    Or players like Owen who are so far past it that they can’t score in an open goal. Who we have for about two weeks and then get injured or just disapeer off the panel never to be seen again in a Newcastle jersey.

Who would want to be a fan.

• Stuart79

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Dan scott – Were not in for him because were not in for anyone!

If we bid for him there would be a good chance he would sign for us so why would ashley bid.

It would mean spending money!

• sirjasontoon

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I think we will bid but then ask to pay over 5 years knowing that we will be told to get stuffed : )

• Dan_Scott157

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM

If we sign Pennant then that would allow us to make good oney out of N’Zogbia. Jonas is naturally a left winger so he and Duff would occupy those 2 areas with Pennant on the right with perhaps Lua Lua as back up if Geremi leaves. about £8-10 million from Zog would allow us to add to the £10 million we already had to spend and bring in 2 quality £8 million signings, i would say up the bid for M’Bia and try and go for Taiwo with the rest going on cheap deals like Finnan and another youngster from Europe, if our scouts have any in mind.

• Toon Graeme

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:14 PM

I think Pennant is a good buy. Why the hell are we not in for that price tag? Its nowt by comparison to some.

• sirjasontoon

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Mike Needs more casino chips Dan..so he won’t be spending much.

He’s like the casino chip cookie monster.

• Dan_Scott157

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Pennant is only 25 as well. From the time it seems he has been around you would think he is about 27-28.

• Dan_Scott157

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Does anyone think if we did sell N’Zogbia for around £10 million then this supposed £10 million that he hs given Kinnear would then disappear?

• sirjasontoon

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Bit of a bad boy pennant but good for 2m.
    Finnan sucks though he really is TURD.

• sirjasontoon

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Ashley is like Paul Daniels with cashola…it just vanishes in the casino.

• Stuart79

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Dan scott157 –

What £10m Kinnear has?

Don’t be silly, that’s what Joe says so it’s obviously bollox!

We’ve got no money at all and Ashley will be selling up in the summer so doesn’t want to buy any players!

• Dan_Scott157

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM

When you think that Ashley was worth £2.3 billion when he bought us and is now worth £800 million it makes you wonder what the hell has he been wasting his money on. Certainly hasn’t been on football players.

• sirjasontoon

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM

He can spend 5m in a night on roulette..they guy is a Tool.

• Dan_Scott157

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Stuart79

I know Kinnear talks a lot of rubbish but he must have been given a little bit of money after that meeting or else we wouldn’t be bidding for M’Bia.