Rennes Turn Down Newcastle Mbia Bid


News just coming through from Setenta Sports is not good news as they are reporting Rennes have turned down Newcastle’s £5M bid for Stephane Mbia.

stephane-mbia2

Stephane Mbia – Rennes turn down Newcastle bid

Newcastle target Stephane M’Bia will not be making a move to St James’ Park – or anywhere else for that matter – this transfer window, according to their general manager Pierre Dreossihis today.

MBia has been identified by Newcastle manager Kinnear as an ideal midfield option, and the Premier League side approached Ligue 1 club Rennes, who are currently 3rd in the league, just 2 points behind leaders Lyon.  with a £5M offer earlier in the week.

However, the French side’s general manager Pierre Dreossi has stated that no else will be leaving the club this January transfer window, following Sylvain Wiltord’s departure for Marseille on loan recently.

Dreossi has also ruled out the possibility of a loan switch for MBia until the end of the season, which coiuld have been the other option Newcastle had.

Dreossi said today:

“There will be no arrivals or departures, nor any loans, even after the departure of Wiltord,”

“We are not interested in the departure of any of our players.”

This is a normal response we would expect with an initial bid, but we’re not sure Newcastle can go much higher than £5M, so unless the player himself makes some waves, that may be the end of it.

Stephane would be available in the summer, but we’d face a lot more competition from bigger clubs at that time.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

48 comments so far

  • chanty

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM

    Comment #1

    that hat won’t be hung this season then!

    0
  • Tom_Toon

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:06 AM

    Comment #2

    Hate to say I told you so.

    No suprise, more spin.

    0
  • Toon_Sydney

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:08 AM

    Comment #3

    didnt see this comin ..cough cough :s

    0
  • beatski

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:08 AM

    Comment #4

    it’s nothing anyone didnt know already

    0
  • TheToonKing

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:10 AM

    Comment #5

    Not disappointed at all, we all knew he wouldn’t come.

    We need to get much better for him to even consider coming to us.

    We’ll get a few fringe players from here and there till the end of the window but nothing big.

    I reckon we will have a few new faces but won’t improve substantially……

    It’s grim lads…

    0
  • repo

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:11 AM

    Comment #6

    We wont be paying any money for players
    yes we put in bids for players but its all a spin by mike ash to show that the club is showing some ambition towards the fans..

    But in real they wont be paying nothing in a form of perm transfers and only deals that we going to get is them 2 loan deals and that young lad in brazil..

    so dont build your hopes up.

    we wont be getting this player or anybody in this calabre..

    before anybody shouts i work at st james..

    0
  • Toon Graeme

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:12 AM

    Comment #7

    Well this comes as no surprise does it!!????

    We all knew this yesterday when it came public knowledge.

    Next…… perhaps a left back which we so desperately need.

    Now that would be a signing.

    0
  • liambirchy

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:13 AM

    Comment #8

    with spuds getin palacios, hows about trying to sign huddlestone as 2nd choice from mbia.

    He aint as strong or physical but has a great pass on him. 5m bid? should do it unlike for mbia

    i also hope we attempt tro sign pennant because it looks like pompey are stepping up and surely despite the crisis here we have more pull than them.

    0
  • sirjasontoon

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM

    Comment #9

    I am bored of the spin…zzzzzzz
    yawn.

    0
  • haz_994

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM

    Comment #10

    what a surprise! what happen to two loan players we were to get by Thursday???

    0
  • TokyoPoliceDanny

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM

    Comment #11

    There is nothing on Stade Rennais’ website.

    There is nothing on L’equipe

    There is nothing on Sky Sports.

    Don’t jump on the doom and gloom bandwagon just yet. Setanta have not reported that you Brazilian Caio Fereira yet so they can’ be that on the ball.

    But I’m pesimistic…:(

    0
  • spiderpig

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:20 AM

    Comment #12

    every time i see a comment about newcastle buying someone i know a kick in the teeth is round the corner.why would a class player want to play for us.we have a shite board,the players are all wanting out,well the good ones anyway.the fans are pissed off and the owner is about as tight as a nuns crutch.what would kinnear do if mbia did come?probably drop guthrie,our best player in midfield and play him alonside butt the aged carthorse.if we get beat again tomorrow we could be back in the zone.

    0
  • Toon Graeme

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:22 AM

    Comment #13

    Repo – is that as a steward or in some other capacity?

    A lass where I work here also works at SJP too.

    Come on David Craig – any pearls today?

    0
  • Jezza

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:22 AM

    Comment #14

    Yes, Ashley made the bid knowing it would be turned down. it was nothing more than a publicity stunt. Rennes were never going to accept £5 million for the player when they turned down more than £8 million from Everton in August, and Ashley knew it.

    It’s time to face the facts, Newcastle will be buying NOBODY in this transfer window. The best we can possibly hope for is a couple of mediocre journeymen on loan, and even that will only happen in Ashley can sell a couple of players first.

    0
  • richyg01

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:22 AM

    Comment #15

    Hmm, anyone feeling daja-vu?

    What a waste of space MA is, we shouldnt even be looking at this type of player.

    Spend some F’in money! not loose pocket change FFS! we will be going down!

    0
  • sirjasontoon

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:23 AM

    Comment #16

    I agree spiderpig..there is just nothing good to say about the club to entice good players.

    0
  • Fans Should Own The Club

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:25 AM

    Comment #17

    Isn’t this the kind of thing they always say when the selling club wants more money?

    0
  • sirjasontoon

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:25 AM

    Comment #18

    David Craig is a Joker..and talks a load of bull.

    0
  • Toon Graeme

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:25 AM

    Comment #19

    SirJason – I disagree because:

    We are the Geordies
    The Geordie Boot Boys
    Some say were mental
    some say were mad
    We are the greatest football supporters the world has ever had!

    Why there is the toon army – if all else fails they could use us a selling point!!

    0
  • Spartan

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM

    Comment #20

    It’s like when we sold Milner and were told we had Schweinstiger lined up to replace him, but it mysteriously didn’t happen.

    0
  • sirjasontoon

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM

    Comment #21

    Fans Should Own The Club // Jan 16, 2009 at 11:25 AM

    Isn’t this the kind of thing they always say when the selling club wants more money?

    We had no intention of landing him..at that price anyway.

    0
  • sirjasontoon

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM

    Comment #22

    Toon G..the only good thing going for the club is the toon army but even that is dwindling now.

    0
  • Fostino

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM

    Comment #23

    we’ll be lucky to sell geremi…………..that deal seems to be dragging out, they know were desperate to sell him!

    0
  • sirjasontoon

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:29 AM

    Comment #24

    I though Geremi was gone?

    0
  • Toon Graeme

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:29 AM

    Comment #25

    Nowt like a derby match to spur on some support.

    That will be a loud game – vocal wise.

    0
  • Intergalactic Milkman

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:36 AM

    Comment #26

    Hollow dangling carrots stuffed with BS. Modric hoax all over again.

    I’ve just seen Barry Ferguson coming out of the roller disco in Fenham!

    0
  • pdidy

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:38 AM

    Comment #27

    They are selling Ashley you tight Bastard T shirts at the club shop. The T shirts are currently sold out but I email customer service everyday to ask when they will be be available!

    0
  • repo

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:40 AM

    Comment #28

    Toon Graeme i work in the suites on match days..

    also for a betting industry..

    0
  • Bosck

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:42 AM

    Comment #29

    we may not get him but the clubs are bound to say no one is going anywhere.

    Portsmouth said defoe wouldnt be going at first and look where he is now.

    Keane wasnt leaving tottenham as far as they were concerned etc.

    its the company line they have to take for the fans. they may well then say the offer was too good to refuse.

    0
  • Toon Graeme

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:45 AM

    Comment #30

    Repo – I take it you get to hear some juicy gossip and work on regardless as if you didnt hear owt and some right guff also?

    Who is the biggest plonka then?

    0
  • Californication

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:46 AM

    Comment #31

    Bosck- I hope that you are right mate. Can’t see it happening myself, but will be more than happy to be proven wrong.

    0
  • Bmore

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:49 AM

    Comment #32

    Surprise surprise.

    Instead of Cilla Black, we have JFK telling anybody who will listen – What our transfer budget is, and how much we have bid!

    0
  • Nick 69

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:51 AM

    Comment #33

    toon grame- its actually:

    We are the Geordies,
    The Geordie boot boys,
    For we are mental,
    For we are mad,
    We are the loyalist,
    Football supporters,
    The world has ever had

    not a problem but you look like a bit of a c0ck singing the wrongs words at the match lol

    0
  • lesh

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:54 AM

    Comment #34

    Obviously – after the bid became public and Joe’s statement that he told MA how much the selling clubs wanted!

    Everybody’s got a price and if the £5m’s the first offer, the opening bid, they’d expect NUFC to come back and improve it – if the bid was serious.

    So much for our so-called director of ffffffff football!

    0
  • Matt

    Jan 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM

    Comment #35

    Can I just say that a club doesn’t take nearly a week to say no unless they’ve been considering the offer. We could probably get him for 6 or 7.

    0
  • Toon Graeme

    Jan 16, 2009 at 12:02 PM

    Comment #36

    Nick

    Thats called trying to work and type and flick between applications at the same time.

    Dont worry fella – I wont sing the wrong words.

    0
  • Nick 69

    Jan 16, 2009 at 12:03 PM

    Comment #37

    lol, no problem was just makin sure, cos singing the wrong words infront 52000 isnt could be pretty embarrassing lol

    0
  • ginkoh

    Jan 16, 2009 at 12:10 PM

    Comment #38

    no surprise at all.

    0
  • ronaldeano

    Jan 16, 2009 at 12:11 PM

    Comment #39

    Did fatty realy think we could land a player of Mbia’s quality for 5 million?

    The tight fat git

    0
  • J

    Jan 16, 2009 at 12:16 PM

    Comment #40

    Sorry but THAT does not seem to say the bid has been rejected.

    Clubs ALWAYS say that, keeps fan calm.
    Anyone remember MILNER!!!!

    So dont worry may still happen

    0

You must log in to post a comment.