Ryan Giggs Shows The Way For Nicky Butt

Nicky Butt doesn’t get too many rest days at Newcastle United because of our injury crisis (again), and also the fact that  our squad is just far too small this season.

nicky-butt-7385

Nicky Butt – 33 year-old doesn’t get much rest

Nicky Butt talked to the Newcastle Journal:

“I have got to be able to play two or three games a week,” “The way we are at the moment I have to keep myself ready and fit for every game.”

“We are short of players, so unfortunately I don’t have the luxury of getting rested.”

“At this club at the minute we don’t have the strength and depth to do that, because of injuries. I have to play in every game I’m available for and I’m not complaining.”

“All I want to do is play football, it’s just a bit heavy on the legs. I’m sure if the manager gets a few players in I will start to get a few games’ rest.”

The Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear, along with Dennis Wise are trying to reinforce our central midfield, with a £5m bid for Cameroon international midfielder Stéphane Mbia this week, but that bid was turned down yesterday by his club, Rennes, so maybe we can get the player in the summer.

And Butt can take some inspiration from Ryan Giggs’ brilliant performance in central midfield when the Red Devils played Chelsea last weekend, and Giigs completely bossed the game for United, in their easy 3-0 win.

“Ryan showed against Chelsea that he is a top player who can play anywhere on the park,”

“He has shown he can easily play for a couple of more years yet.”

“I don’t think they will be jealous of me, they are doing quite well themselves.”

Ryan is 35 years old now and two years older than Nicky Butt, so ut shows that players last a lot longer these days than even twenty years ago, because of the much improved training facilities and more emphasis on the correct diets.

Nicky still has a good two years left at Newcastlke, and his vast experience over that time will come in very useful to the club.

• Turkish Magpie

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:05 AM

for once i think i agree with evrything he said

• Toon_Sydney

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:09 AM

his our worse player

• sirjasontoon

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Over the hill…and a yellow card magnet.
    Decent header against Hull.

• Norn Iron Magpie

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Put him out to graze. His legs have gone imo

• Chris G

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Toon_Sydney – a bit harsh to call him our worst player, but I don’t think he’s any better than Geremi. It seems crazy to me that we’re getting rid of Geremi now when we’re so short of bodies in midfield, and have to rely on Butt playing every game.

• Alex

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Hope once Barton is fit that Nicky is left on the bench and we start games with Joey & Guthrie as our CM

• arctoa

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:36 AM

He’s an excellent figure to have in the squad but I’m not happy about having to rely on his old legs every week.

• The Real Entertainers

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Nicky Butt is a very decent player still.

I agree we should have had his replacement in the squad during the summer.

But he is still valuable as a squad player.

He should be treated like…..now dont laugh…..Makelle (sic) at Chelsea.

He can still do a good job, just not every week.

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Yep – he should follw his example and retire at the end of the season

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Not only has he lost his legs his mind is gone – apparently he reckons ‘every player respected big sam’

• workyticket

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:10 PM

The Real Entertainers // Jan 17, 2009 at 11:39 AM

“Nicky Butt is a very decent player still.

I agree we should have had his replacement in the squad during the summer.

But he is still valuable as a squad player.

He should be treated like…..now dont laugh…..Makelle (sic) at Chelsea.

He can still do a good job, just not every week.”

The Real Entertainers, It’s good to see someone else who understands what Nicky Butt’s job is, and how valuable he still is to the team.

• Jan Stavik

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Butt is a liability, to compare him with Giggs will never be right as Giggs actually was a great player, something Butt never was.

What did we get from Butt this season really? Two stupid penalties who cost us dearly, a ridiculous free-kick against the Mackems which lead to the winner, an awful lot of free kicks in dangerous areas and quite a few bookings. He’s had just a few decent games, in general he’s been a liability.

I hope we’ll get rid of Butt in the summer, just having him in the squad is an indication that the squad is too weak. To know that the club is paying such a weak player 50k a week makes me sick. I hear that Wigan wants him, let him go.