Harper Will Decide If He Goes To White Hart Lane

There are reports in the morning newspapers that Harry Redknapp is all set to make a £2M bid for top Newcastle reserve goalkeeper Steve Harper, according to The Northern Echo.

steve-harper-33.jpg

Steve Harper – a great goalkeeper for Newcastle United

After watching his injury concerns grow yesterday when Spurs, with all their stars could still only manage a 1-1 draw against Portsmouth at home, the Tottenham boss is looking to bid for Harper, probably the best back-up goalkeeper to the best goalkeeper (Given) in the English Premier League.

We have nothing but good words to stay about local boy Steve Harper, now 33 years old, who has been at the club since 1993 and made over 100 appearances for the team, and last season looked a top Premier league goalkeeper when he got a good run in the side because of Shay’s groin operation.

Redknapp is thought to have identified the Easington-born stopper as the ideal candidate to bolster his options, and £2M would be a terrific buy for the Tottenham club, because Steve’s better and much safer than their current goalkeeper, Brazilian Gomez.

Harry said today:

‘‘It’s an area I’m looking at,’’ ‘‘I’m looking for someone who is good enough for the first team when you need him.”

‘‘If I had confidence in the Spanish goalkeeper, I would have played him.’’

Hearing that would you like to be the Spanish goalkeeper, Cesar Sanchez, who Spurs bought from Spanish side Real Zaragoza in August?

But it could be a good move for Harper, and it will be up to Steve himself to make the decision, because he’s much better than being a back-up all his career to Shay Given, and the Spurs fans would take to him very easily, because he’s a great lad, a good goalkeeper and one terrific professional.

And of course he still hadn’t signed a new contract at the club and will be a free agent in the summer, and because we have two top class 20 year old youngsters in Tim Krul and Fraser Forster at Newcastle, and with Shay fully fit again, we wouldn’t really need to buy a back up goalkeeper in January.

Bottom line is that it will be up to Steve, and he may again elect to stay at his home town club, but for his own playing career we think he could do just great at White Hart Lane, where he could definitely become their number one.

He’s probably the best goalkeeper for that price anywhere, and Harry is well aware of just how good he is, as at the end of last season he was one of Newcastle’s best players in the run-in under Kevin Keegan.

• Tom_Toon

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:03 AM

We have to sell one of the goalies for Krul to stay.

He said he’d leave if Harper didn’t go, but I assume this means Harper or Given.

I’d even sell both to raise funds for full-backs and midfielders and have Krul as first choice.

I recon he will be the best in the world at his prime.

• Tom

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Its a catch 22. If we sell Harper and Shay stays, then its okay. If we sell Harps and Shay goes as well, we are up a certain creek without a certain implement.

• Will I am

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Harper has been a great lad wish him all the best with the spuds.It’s time we give a chance to Tim Krul and Fraser Forster.

• Toon Sweden77

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:07 AM

If Steve goes I would wish him Good luck, been a great servant.

But days like these when we have a owner who spends his money in casinos and worseless personal like Derek Llambias, maybee we should sell Given to City instead for 15 mil and pray that Mike let JFK spend that money on new players. Harper could be 1:st keeper for a couple of seasons and then let Krul take over.

• Stuart79

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Will the last person out please turn out the lights.

Thanks Mr Ashley!

• Ed Harrison

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:07 AM

2M would give Joe some money to strengthen other areas of the team where we are much weaker – and that’s why you buy the youngsters so they can naturally come through when they are good enough – and Tom_Toon your’e right we don’t think Krul will stay in the summer, if he cannot even make the bench – he’s ambitious and rightly so.

• Tom1664

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:08 AM

TT – totally agree. He played a blinder on his debut in the UEFA cup. We should hang on to Krul at all costs.

• nufctoon

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:08 AM

its a hard thing cs both have bids made 1 WILL GO IN JAN

• nufctoon

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:10 AM

krul is overated we seen him in one game can u judge him on that

• Weezertron

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Tom Toon, I agree but theres nee chance kinnear would be having Krul as 1st choice.

Shay isn’t 8 million quid better than Harper. I wouldn’t even say he was better. So If I was manager I’d sell shay for 10 million to benefit the TEAM and put harps between the sticks with Krul as back up.

• Tom

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I’d sell Shay, as he apparently wants to go, we would get a lot more money from the deal and could thus strengthen the team to a greater extent. If one of them has to go, that is.

• nufctoon

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Weezertron agreed plus harp wants a new contract and to stay btw i bet relliers and i will agrgue bout this

• Tom1664

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:13 AM

nufctoon – be fair to the lad; he made his senior debut at European level away at one of the most hostile stadiums in the competition and he was outstanding.

• nufctoon

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:14 AM

yeh no doubting that tom but it was just one game u carnt judge on that if he plays like that all the time then he deserves no1 spot

• Stuart79

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Don’t think it’s so sad that we are even discussing who we should sell so we can strengthen?

It’a a fckin disgrace a club our size can’t afford to buy players without selling anyone first!

I’m on the verge of giving up on the entire club!!!! I could spend my money better I’m sure!

• Will I am

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Batty r u there.

• nufctoon

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Stuart79 ashly thinks the same way

• Tom_Toon

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:16 AM

nufctoon – I have heard nothing but praise from Falkirk and Carlisle fans.

They also mention that one of hs best attribute is shouting and organising his defence and coming off his line. Something which Given is very poor at.

• Tom1664

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Nufcctoon – fair dos I suppose.

Anyone wanna start a nufcblog national lottery syndicate? Prize money to go towards our January warchest?

• HalftimeBovril

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM

It pains me to say it but i would rather sell Given as he is the more saleable assist and would generate more money for signings. Well that would be the case for any other club, it will probably just go back to lining Ashleys pockets.

The way City are throwing money around we should ask for at least 10m.

• Will I am

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Stuart79 // Jan 19, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Better days r coming,I think mike will sell the club as he knows the fans don’t like him.

• Stuart79

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Will I am –

Ashley can’t sell the club that’s a fact.

Nobody can a bloody car at the minute let alone a football club.

Were up sh1t creek without a boat let alone a paddle!!!!!

• radge

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Agree that we should sell Shay, not Harper. Shay’s marginally better imo, but that’s probably only the difference between getting beat by the odd goal. assuming we can use monies raised to re-invest, then other positions are a priority….full backs and centre midfield (A & D). I was in newcastle airport a couple of weeks ago and saw Beye in the departure lounge….his foot was in a plastic cast thingy and he had two crutches. I know nothing about physiotherapy, but it didn’t look like he’d be kicking a ball in anger any time soon. Sell Shay, Zog ( a potentially brilliant player, but only at another club), Owen & Geremi and use the cash to re-invest….

• Will I am

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Years back we would get the players we wanted I can’t believe we have to sell first in order to buy.

• Kash

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Tim Krul versus Palermo, UEFA cup – Enough said as he was absolutely immesne that night, and on his debut!!!!

I would have to say that we owe Steve Harper the right to be Number 1. Given wants a new challenge, and who are we to stand in his way to move to City, with Kaka et al?!

The Given money can be used for M’Bia alone! That would give us £10m (in theory) to spend on LB, RB and RM. Money received from sales of Zogs and Geremi can be invested again to sign another CM and another player?!

• nufctoon

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:23 AM

i no no one liked freddy but u wont have a bad transfer market with him would u

• nufctoon

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Kash agree

• Will I am

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I don’t know what jk is thinking we have no CAMs.

• GeordieJayne

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Can anyone guarantee that any money we get for players will go on players…….I’m not so sure no evidence on it over the last transfer window

• Will I am

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:30 AM

If mike loves this club atleast he should give JK 40m to buy players.

• GeordieJayne

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:30 AM

who would blame harper or given telling cashley to get stuffed and wait

• Kash

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Jayne – I wouldn’t be surprised if they did!

• Will I am

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:36 AM

If this club gets relegated people will start crying and all our lives will be fk up.

• Toon Graeme

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:38 AM

What makes you think that once a player is sold he will give all that money back – Milner ring any bells? Where did that money go?

AShley adv he would pump £20 mil into the club on an annual basis. I assume this for players etc. WRONG.

Face facts as it seems. We are in the Sh*t and nothing more can surprise me.

I cantbring myself to not got to games.

I more spurred on to fill SJP and support the team until May.

One word F**K!

• GeordieJayne

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Will I am not ashamed to say it but I for one would cry

• Stuart79

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:42 AM

WE ARE SCREWED!!!

I honestly think it will take years and years to recovery from the disaster that Ashley has presided over!

Maybe if we do go down he will see that his plans aren’t working!!!!!!!

• David Craig

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Man City have increased their bid today for Shay Given. A bid that will be very difficult for the club to turn down.

1st team squad given the day off today

• Kash

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:44 AM

If we go down, we are no where near good enough to come back up!

• Pons Aelius

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:45 AM

If Steve Harper goes it will be poetic.

Harper is the last player still in our ranks that played under KK during the ‘Entertainer’s’ era. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t hold it against Steve. He deserves a shot at the big time.

He’s just the last member of the squad that made Newcastle United famous again. When we could rightfully call ourselves a ‘big’ club. Sadly, I don’t think there are that many people that look at us that way any more.

It’ll be a sad day.

• Tom

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:47 AM

David Craig

A rough estimate of the bid? About 14?