Calderwood Not Coming To Coach At Newcastle

There was news widely reported yesterday that former Nottingham Forest manager Colin Calderwood had joined the coaching staff at Newcastle United, but it now turns out that was not true.

Colin Calderwood on left is not after all joining Newcastle

The Evening Chronicle contacted Calderwood today, to see if the news was indeed true, and Colin said:

“I have been out of the country and just returned.“I don’t know anything about this.”

“If I have been appointed as coach of Newcastle United then that is certainly news to me.”

Colin Calderwood is also thought to be keen on returning to management, and we thought this may have been a good move since Newcastle are very short of coaching talent, and have been since Keegan resigned.

Since Adam Sadler, our former Newcastle Reserves coach is now available, since leaving Norwich City with Glenn Roeder, when Glenn was sacked, it would be good to get the local lad back at Newcastle.

However, since Ashley sacked him and Terry McDermott a few days after Keegan left, maybe that will not be possible, but Adam is an excellent up and coming coach.

Joe Kinnear, though, is open-minded about bringing in backroom staff, and if he does finally accept the new contract offered to him, that would probably be the best time to bring in new coaches to the club.

Joe said:

“It’s something I’m monitoring at the moment.

“We’re both doing the best we can but there might be someone else comes in.”

• Edd Case

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Good – it’s quality new PLAYERS we need, not new coaching staff.

• sirjasontoon

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Thank God..some decent news : )

• Kash

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Actually we need coaches as well as we only have 2!

• Edd Case

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I think 2 coaches is more than enough, given the lack of players we have.

IF, and it’s a huge IF, why get a massive stroke of fortune and actually bring in 3 decent players before the end of Jan, ok, bring in another coach.

• Sir Erec

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

newcastle XI drew carlisle 1-1.

steven taylor getting the equaliser

• Will I am

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:43 PM

W T F is this we need players.

• Edd Case

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:44 PM

You know what, we all know what’s going on.

We will not sign anyone in the window – we all know that deep down.

Fat Ashley is all about money. He knows nothing of the passion of football.

He will not put more money into the club and will not allow it to be in debt (less attractive to buyers).
    So, there is no money available – the club just doesn’t make 30 or 40 million a year – in fact, I bet it’s actually in the red each year, thanks to players like Owen, Geremi, Smith, Viduka and so on, all on massive wages.

Come Feb 1st, we’ll all be crying our hearts out once again as another window slams shut and seals our fate.

Make no mistake people, call me a gloomy son of a bitch all you like – we are going down and it’ll get much, much worse before it’s gets better again.

• Dan_Scott157

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Sir Erec

Well i really hope Carlisle played a strong side. If not then Lovenkrands may not be signing up to us.

• Edd Case

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:46 PM

EXACTLY what I’ve just been banging on about – absolutely NO MENTION OF NEW PLAYERS AT ALL.

• toonoholic

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:49 PM

is calderon the argie international who is going to get a run today ?
    is calderon as promised by mike our ‘big name signing’ ?

• Dan_Scott157

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:51 PM

toonoholic

Lovenkrands is the big name signing. 11 letters. Will be one of, if not the biggest name in our team

• HalftimeBovril

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I reckon thats our two new signings on the touch line, I don’t know about you but i swear the guy with his hood up looks like messi lol

• Will I am

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I just can’t believe what’s happening to this great club I think it’s all coming to an end we are going down fk this really hurts.

• WesToon

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:56 PM

anyone see any of the “new” players??

• Partizan

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:59 PM

I can’t believe we haven’t signed anyone yet apart exept the Slovenian guy.

Is it just me,cos everytime i see MA i feel like i have a huge stone in my stomach.

I never ever hated anyone the way i hate Ashley now.

I even love Sunderland more than the fat c**t

• super.trooper

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:04 PM

I bet bellamy comes back to haunt us again in our next game against city. If we lose that game players heads could go down and we really will be in the mire.

• GeordieJayne

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Dan_Scott157 // Jan 20, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Some good words from John Gibson in The
    Chronicle:

Dan I agree I would actually say that is a cracking piece sums up everything I and many many other think.

About time from the Chronicle

• beyethegreat

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:27 PM

totsy on a previous article you claimed that i said you arent a geordie

where did i say that

• Toon Graeme

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Thank links again proof that DAVID CRAIG is full of sh*t.

He said the match was at SJP.

• Born Again Geordie

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Good article in the chronicle, seems to say what we all think ! Hope Ashley reads it !!!!

• Toon Graeme

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:43 PM

So let me get this right – we were getting beat
    in a friendly against carlisle. Then Taylor drew for we.

Not that it means nowt but – sort of reflective of our season.

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:09 PM

NEWCASTLE UNITED stars Steven Taylor and Joey Barton handed boss Joe Kinnear a timely boost in today’s behind-closed-doors friendly with Carlisle United which ended 1-1.

To think that this is being called a boost !!!
    WTF has gone on in such a short period of time to make us soooooo carp

• lesh

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:01 PM

That’s movin’ he got out before he joined us – shows a deal of foresight!