Things this morning in the transfer market for Newcastle United don’t look to different from yesterday – and it seems to be utter chaos at the moment.
Peter Lovenkrands in trial match today
Here’s what we know on the transfer news today:
- The news is that Kinnear may be forced to sell Shay Given against Joe’s better judgment to Man City and the price is either £8M, £9M or as much as £15M, depending on which reports you believe.
- Today we have the trial match where a Newcastle eleven will play Carlisle United behind closed doors, and we will have Peter Lovenkrands playing along with our two potential loan signings, although the identity of these two has still not been determined.
We also have three Scandinavians playing and one or two teenagers, who have either been signed or on trial at the club.
We would hope to have some news about who Joe wants to sign later today – hopefully – and even the identity of the two potential loan signings.
- The news in the papers today say that our Cameroon midfield player Geremi is now anxious to leave Newcastle and join Besitkas. This is almost the opposite of what we heard in the last few days from the player himself, that he wanted to stay at Newcastle. But we’d be very surprised if Besitkas can pay the £60K/week Geremi is reported to be getting on Tyneside, and we’re sure that will be a problem for the player.
- Newcastle have turned down a £500K offer from Harry Redknapp for Steve Harper, not the £2M that was in the papers yesterday, and it seems both of our loyal and long serving goalkeepers, who are a little dismayed at the happenings at the club over the last 4 months are in demand, and even may want to end their ties on Tyneside.
- It looks like Newcastle will test the waters again at West Ham with a £2M bid for Lucas Neill, since it now seems clear that Gianfranco Zola has to sell some of his players in January. Bellamy has gone for a way overpriced £14M deal to Man City – who seem determined to be the new Chelsea in overpaying for players.
- The Newcastle Journal is reporting that Kinnear will have a new defender on board by the end of the week, but exactly who that may be, we have no idea, and it seems neither do the Newcastle Journal. It may be Adil Rami of Lille – or Lucas Neill, or most probably somebody out of right field, that we’ve never heard of. As long as he’s a good player – the news will be welcomed by Newcastle fans.
- It also looks like Joe is getting as frustrated as Kevin Keegan was last summer in the transfer market, with very little progress being made.
If the same thing happens to Joe as happened to Keegan last summer, we’ll at least get to know what really is going on from Kinnear, since he will spill the beans on what is going on behind closed doors – certainly the only thing the fans see is no progress at all in the first 20 days of the transfer market.
Maybe Dennis Wise is trying to run the show – again.
That’s it – comments very welcome.