Former Player Tips Lovenkrands To Be Tyneside Success

Dane Bjorn Kristensen made 98 appearances for Newcastle United between 1989 and 1992, and the former Denmark international hopes that his fellow countryman Lovenkrands can fulfil his dream of being a success in the English Premier League.

peter-lovenkrands-1

Peter Lovenkrands
– happy to be a Newcastle player

Kristensen is interviewed today in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle, where it says we fought off interest from West Ham, Blackburn and FC Twente to secure the former Ranger’s winger’s services until the end of the season.

We didn’t know any other club was even interested, but being first on with a trial, after Joe Kinnear heard about Peter’s availability through his agent, had to put us in the driver’s seat for the Dane’s signature.

And Kristensen told the Chronicle today from Denmark:

“Peter is a great guy and I think he will fit in really well at Newcastle.” “I like him as a player – he has plenty of speed.”

“Once he gets on top of his game he is a real threat to the opposition.” “We saw that time and time again in Scotland and for Denmark.”

“I feel he can become a crowd-pleaser at Newcastle.”

“I know he has missed a lot of games with injuries, but once any player regains their consistency they can come back alive.”

Fans will remember when we had the young Dane Jon Dal Tomasson at the club from 1997-1998, signed from SC Hereenveen, and although the youngster, who was just 20 years old when he signed for the club, wasn’t a success on Tyneside, he went on to much success at Feyenoord and Milan, and has just returned to the Dutch club for a second time.

I was at the game when in August of 1997, he made his debut against Sheffield Wednesday, along with another youngster just signed by the club, Shay Given, and the forward was sprung completely clear very early in that game, and missed a sitter – a bad omen for the youngster, as indeed proved to be.

Any other readers at that game? We won the game 2-1 with both goals from Faustino Asprilla, who was leading the line after Alan Shearer had been badly injured in pre-season.

The Dane played for Newcastle 22 times but scored just 3 goals.

Kristensen, the former Newcastle defender added:

“I know what it’s like at Newcastle, and it’s all about Peter having a good start.“If he does OK in his first three or four games it can snowball.”

“I’ve got lots of memories of my time at Newcastle.”

“We came so close to promotion under Jim Smith in 1990.”

“And then things went the other way under Ossie Ardiles and we were fighting relegation.”

We all hope Peter ios a great success through May, and can also get us a few goals.

• magpie6699

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:44 PM

First?
    I remember Kristensen – always called “Benny” not Bjorn. Hope he’s right about PL. A bit of positive news would make a pleasant change.

• Toon_Sydney

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM

• Tom

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:00 PM

As good as he may be, we don’t really need more strikers right now.

• Jan Stavik

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Sell Owen for 6m and bring in Saviola. He’s younger and quicker, Owen will leave anyway in the summer so we’d better get some money for him.

Some more argies would be great, a midfielder like Lucho Gonzalez in the summer maybe?

• Obafan

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:08 PM

As frustrating as the window has been so far, I’m quite optimistic about Lovenkrands. If he can stay fit and get a few games he might find his former Rangers form and then he would be able to knock in a few goals. He is also very motivated, not like some of the players who are in the team week in week out (Zog, Owen, …).

I just hope he will not be another Lamine Diatta who never got a chance last year and who needed to prove himself to reach an agreement with the club.

As for Saviola, well I wait and see, but I don’t think it would be bad to add him to the squad. But we need a CM, that is priority IMO!!!!

• magforlife

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Saviola in and Owen out? well why not , move any player out that wants a move and sign players who want to play for us, we will be much better off with a team that trys and arent playing with faces like a smacked arse. We will be supporters long after the mercenaries have gone with bulging wallets, i yearn for a good honest side with no sulkers.

• Danish_Magpie

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Just want to clarify a few things about Løvenkrands since people have been asking about his position etc. in the past few days. I have watched this guy play a hundred times back in Denmark for AB, for the national team, for Rangers and in this first year or two at Schalke, and just wanted to shed some light on him. Of course everything can be argued since football is a game of opinions, but this is my evaluation of him as a player:

Positions: Left forward in 4-3-3 (best position in my opinion), striker, or left-wing.

As a striker: Løvenkrands’ greatest asset is his speed. Irrespective of the position he is playing, this is an important aspect of his game. As a striker, he compliments this speed with a good shot. Both from distance and more up-close, Løvenkrands strikes the ball pretty well and while he will never be highly prolific as a goalscorer, he will score some goals. His weaknesses as a striker are that he lacks physical strength and that he is not a great threat in the air. Therefore, he is most effective when played with a big man up front (and even more effective as left forward in 4-3-3).

As a winger: Again, speed is a big part of his game. He does have a decent touch, but isn’t a great dribbler. Relies mainly on pace, and direct running and play on the wing. Again, he will get open for shots and take some of them. His work-rate is okay too, and if he can stay fit, he would be a good left-winger for us. Weakness: His crossing is not great so don’t expect the ‘Beckham-type’ winger.

I really would like to see us get rid of N’Zogbia and Duff and bring in a quality right-winger, then have Jonas on the left (he is better there) and this quality right-winger start, with Løvenkrands and Lua-Lua providing backup for the wings. If not, perhaps a trade McGeady for Duff plus 3m?

• Flop

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Would love to see Saviola perfect replacement for Owen whose as good as gone. We don’t have another quality striker, Shola, Carroll, Viduka and Xisco just don’t cut it in the premiership.
    Agree though full back cover and CM should be our priority.

• Simo

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Anyone got a link 4 da macam game??

• Jan Stavik

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I’d like to see Saviola signed, he’ll be a great asset to the club. However, he’ll command a huge salary and probably 3-4m in transfer fee.

Hard to see us getting anyone these days, so my hopes are not up yet…

• AndyNUFC

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Tbh I don’t know why Diatta wasn’t kept on a bit longer. Sure he was old, but he was an absolute beast of a CB.

• sirjasontoon

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I can’t see Lovenkrands adjusting to the premiership…I see a crock in the making…sorry to be so negative…it is the type of signing that I would expect from the current regime non inspirational and lacking any ambition.

• Troubled Toon

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Good post Danish Magpie

• workyticket

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM

“We came so close to promotion under Jim Smith in 1990.”

Aye, I remember that. Losing in the playoffs to Sunderland. ARGHHH!

• The Real Entertainers

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I wonder where JFK sees Lovenkrands play ?

As for Saviola, out the frying pan into the fire!

Only my opinion, but would rather we bought a Derdioyk type forward to play with Oba and have a Saviola type player for the bench……cant see Saviola sitting on the bench week in week out and then we have the Owen and Oba senario again where the manager feels pressure to play both or use the 4-3-3 formation and lose out in midfield, it just doesnt work for me !

• Ross

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:22 PM

how many times have we been considering/preparing/making/made a bid for numerous strikers/midfielders/defenders this window? it happens to us every time. Reading the gossip on us is near enough pointless, because everyone is stabbing in the dark, its a rareity that rumours posted about us fabricate into something genuine.

• Alex

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:22 PM

although Saviola would be a good signing , we need a LEFT BACK & RIGHT BACK plus a couple of midfielders . If we don’t get those in i really think we are going down . Trouble is i don’t think those signings are coming . 🙁

• Dan_Scott157

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:25 PM

The guardian (paper version) saying today that we have stepped up our interest for Danny Shittu.

• Dan_Scott157

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:30 PM

What is it now a week before transfer deadline day. I don’t understand the reason behind leaving everyhing till the last min but it seems to happen every year at most clubs. All you end up with is a frenzy an hour before the deadline where garbage is usually traded for inflated fees. The situation we have should have made us prepare our deals a month in advance of January.

• William

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Chelsea Ipswich 1 : 1

• Leo

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:39 PM

i know for a fact that we have no money to spend, lets just say there was a few loose lips at a party last night

• William

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I can’t wait for the Spurs match lol 🙂

• Archie Mag

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Off topic lads but thought id mention I saw Shay in perdue last night with Harps.. hope my drunken reasons for him to stay didn’t make him want to leave the toon even more lol. He kept quiet about the whole transfer thing as you would expect. Heres hoping they weren’t out for one last drink together.

• Troy Stavers

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:49 PM

oi oi lads, i’ve just escaped from the bizzies this aftanoon!! A used me homemade skeleton key, made from a lollipop stick and darning needles to escape from the back of the bizzie van. Am ganna use me skeleton key to get inside SJP!!!!Hang fire, get in, straight in through the security door. Am walking along the corridor….. wey hey, Chairmans office.!!
    it’s empty!!
    Had on, the chief execs office is here! That’s empty as weel!!
    Riiiiight., The Owners office is here. I’ll try that!!
    Stardust “”What you doing here””?

• AndyNUFC

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:00 PM

What were the bizzies after you for?

• Troy Stavers

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I was holding a protest today at Barrack Road, ootside SJP, wearing just me shreddies!! I was trying to jump on Fat Mike Ashley if he turned up! A escaped from the back o the van wi me home made skeleton key. A bet ye’ve dun nowt for the cause!!

• Ross

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM

archie mag-if he goes, its on your shoulders mate! haha

• AndyNUFC

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Well actually Troy, I made a huge wooden rabbit and knocked on Mike Ashley’s door. Once the rabbit is inside I will spring out of the rabbit, catching Mike by surprise, and kill him, take all his money, and spend it on players.

• Troy Stavers

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Yi, caal yorsel a Geordie? Nee way!! Listen in lads, ive just managed to knock Stardust oot cold and am searching thro FMA confidential papers. Hold on, what’s this? A letter to KK from FMA stating he was sorry for sacking him and he did the wrong thing.! There yi gan, you horrible little doubters. I’ve foond oot the trooth and am nickin the letter for safe keepin!!

• Obafan

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Troy Stavers aka Officer Crabtree of “ALLO ALL” 😉 .

Goodmeurning Ronnie lol!!!!!!! (for those who don’t know this serie; it has to be Good morning René)

• Obafan

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:25 PM

post 30: ALLO ALLO

• k-man

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:58 AM

Im so fu**ing frustrated. Why the f**k should lovenkrands be a success. He doesn’t come free for no reason. He sucks like so many other free transfers. And hell yeah we pick him up. Oh my god, pls MA just leave!