Given And Harper To Leave – David James To Newcastle

There’s one thing Newcastle have no idea about at all, and that’s what Newcastle United are doing in the transfer market.

david-james.jpg

David James – Portsmouth goalkeeper to Newcastle?

So the new today in the People that we are after David James of Portsmouth, because we are going to sell both Harper and Given, is hard to believe, and it’s more than probably just more Sunday paper nonsense.

Newcastle are said to want £3M rated 38 year old David James as Shay Given and Steve Harper head for the exit at St James’ Park.

Only Newcastle would think of replacing a 32 year old goalkeeper with one who is 38 years old, but we just cannot believe this story is true.

This is being reported by Steve Bates, who says he understands Newcastle’s Executive Director Dennis Wise will open talks with Portsmouth if James indicates he is willing to head for Tyneside.

The People is reporting that Man City will get Given this week, for around £10M, and that Newcastle’s plans are to lure James to the North East are still in the early stages.

They also say that Harper is heading to Tottenham in a £4M deal, but please, we are reading today that Chelsea’s Carlo Cudicini will go to Tottenham Hotspur on a free transfer, as his contract runs out this summer at Chelsea.

Of course in James’ career at Watford, Liverpool, Aston Villa, West Ham, Man City and Portsmouth, he’s played over 650 first class gamers, and has been capped by England 45 times, and is the current first choice of England manager, Fabio Capello.

But if the People are to make stories up, surely they could have done better than this.

How about a Newcastle swoop for Kaka, or even Christiano Ronaldo – now that he is World Footballer Of The Year and therefore proved he is now good enough for Newcastle, that would surely sell more newspapers.   😀

And of course whether there’s any truth in the story seems immaterial – after all it is Sunday.

We’d be shocked if any of this story is true – apart from perhaps Shay Given finally ending up at Man City, who we just happen to play on Wednesday evening at Eastlands.

But you have to admit some of these stories are entertaining.

• toonarmyuk

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:21 AM

A very interesting quote from Freddy Shepherd:

“There is no use him (Ashley) bleating about the debt he inherited,” said Shepherd. “Had he bothered to check he would have known that there was a £57 million securitisation settlement required when Sir John Hall sold.

“And when he sells the club, there is an agreement that the money he has loaned the club will all be paid back to him.

So does this mean that when Ashley leaves, all the debt that everyone is giving amazing praise to him for paying off, will still actually be there???

• J

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Cant wait till Feb 3rd when its all over and we can see what we actually DID get.

Then again i said that in the summer and look how disappoingting THAT was.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this is so frustrating.

• Tom

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Load of tosh. There is no way we should even consider signing James. If Harper AND Given went, I’d probably be happy with Krul being number 1, but I can’t see Harper and Given both leaving tbh.

• NE3 NICK

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Cannot believe this story. I have advocated selling Given to reinvest in 3/4 new players not to get another keeper.

It sounds like another Quashie story…

• NE3 NICK

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Tom, I reckon u r right. If Shay goes, Harpers position is suddenly a lot brighter.

Why would he leave then???

• Nick 69

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:32 AM

if shay goes then i would imagine harps will sign his new contract asap as long as hes guranteed the no 1 shirt

• Toonfan1

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:36 AM

ToonArmyUk- I think you are right :O If this is true, we are still deep in the shite financially 🙁 How times have changed in the past 7 years. From Champions League to a relegation battle.

• magforlife

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Ashley seems determined to make our club the only profitable one in the league, every other club has serviceable debt. This offloading of high wage earners is worrying but also, why has our small but under performing squad got one of the biggest wage bills? Why are we paying kings ransoms to the likes of Smith, Viduka, Butt, Duff , Geremi etc with little return, its because of these crap buys that Ashley is afraid of having his fingers burnt again. I want Ashley and Wise out but also the above free loaders with them.

• Mags

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Call my an old cynic, but I definitely think Shay willbe sold / exchanged and it would not surprise me if Stevie goes too. After all, he has been offered a deal with lower money which he has not signed. I said some days ago this could happen.

If this happens, then I think we will use Krul and Foster. As I said I think this is a risk with them both being so young and coming into the team we have. I cannot see them bringing in James, another stupid guess from the press.

Do you agree that the timing with the release of the club’as accounts is a ‘convenience’ so far as Ashley is concerned, to mask no incoming players. The last two windows he sacked the managers . Even he realises it would be difficult to find another one this time if he sacked Joke.

Toonarmyuk – as to your question about the debt, if / when cashley sells the club, well I am no expert but I would assume the price asked incorporate the debt being paid back to cashley thus still leaving the club with relatively little debt.

• The Real Entertainers

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I dont believe the James rumour at all, however there still seems to be some credence to Given and Harper leaving.

In an ideal world i would love to hand the reigns over to Harper, but if he too has had enough of the current mess then we will have to look for another keeper, as good as Krul and Foster may turn out to be the time is just not right.

I would sign the Rangers keeper McGregor, who we have been linked with in the past, but then again thats just my opinion. Hes 26 and Rangers do need some money.

Also in Scotland there are rumours in the Sunday Mail we are interested in Celtic captain McManus.

• Alex

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:58 AM

S0 apparently we are after
    Mcmanus from Celtic
    Garcia ” Athletico
    James ” Portsmouth
    Saviola ” Real
    Leaving apparently are
    Given to Man City
    Given to Spurs
    Harper to spurs
    Viduka to spurs

Why do i not belive the news papers any more ?

• Ericles

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:07 AM

This has got to be more Sunday paper fiction. It is a made up story. Howver, there is no smoke without fire. I am beginning to believe that Shay will leave, and go to Man City. I do not believe Steve Harper will be sacrificed alongside him but will become our number one keeper. As for David James – bloody hell the bloke is only 26 years younger than me! If the story is true then I am afriad we will become Wibledon on Tyne in the Coca Cola league. Bollocks really is the most expressive word in the English language.

• Toon Graeme

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I was watching SSN this morning and considering I have been up since probably 3ish with the little man who refused to go back to bed (chickenpox), I have plenty of time to digest this absolute pile of crap.

The best one is Arry after Mark ‘sicknote’ Viduka. Take him mate – please.

I have no doubt that Given will be going at some point and Harper might hang on til last second then either sign or do one elsewhere. I cant blame both really.

SO thats Given, Harper, Edgar, Butt, Viduka, Owen going in the summer if not now. Did I miss anyone?

I agree with Ericles – Bollocks really does sum up alot. This news, or situation and everything.

• Billy Bunter

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:21 AM

toonarmyuk // Ashley has technically loaned the money to the club, this means when the club is sold he gets his money back without having to pay 40% tax. If he gave the club the money when the club was sold he would only get 60% back.

Directors loans for companies are commonplace, they are the most efficient mechanism to finance a company. I am a Director of several companies, I find it astonishing that Shepherd has come out with these quotes, I would have expected to have been investigated if I had acted in this maner, but I suppose he was friends with the other shareholders (SJH and DH) so they didnt complain as they were recieving dividends too. Also the club never went into administration, which from the accounts I have seen is only because of the “bail out sale” by SJH. If it has went into recievership, Mr Shepherd and co may well have found themselves in the dock.

It will take a few years to put the finances right, they are in a quandry, the only options they have are to either 1 – buy low cost players and moderate wages, or higher cost players with lower wages. I wouldnt be suprised to see loans only, the club is in such a mess financiall, I am not really sure what Ashley has.

The financial markets and his lack of liquidity will have changed his thought process since he purchased us. NUFC is one company that I wouldnt like to reorganise. But the real blame lies in the previous regime not this one.

Thats my informed understanding, I appreciate football and business sit uncomfortabley, but thats the world we are in, so we all have to accept it and offer a little patience (and dare I say gratitude) while it is resolved

• Toon Fan From Denmark

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM

If Ashley decides to sell the new owner will have to pay the 100 mill loan back to Ashley on top of the price for the club.

I think in a financially perspective MA is doing the right thing by trimming the wage bill. I mean we´ve paid a load of money in wages to so called top players and what have we got in return not a s..t! We need young players hungry for succes that´s the only way forward in my eyes. But first MA need to appoint a new manager with his own staff (shearer and rob lee) and let them start rebuilding the club.

• murvar

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Harper is in a very strong bargaining position if Shay goes and he will make the most of it. But if we go down he will be right to go. I said on here the other day that if Steve H is ready to quit – after sticking it out for all these years and just when he could have the no 1 berth all to himself – then things at SJP must be REALLY bad.

• Billy Bunter

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:37 AM

“Toon Fan From Denmark // Jan 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM

If Ashley decides to sell the new owner will have to pay the 100 mill loan back to Ashley on top of the price for the club”

Just to clarify:

Yes but it is INCLUDED in the total 250million deal. The price of the club isnnt changed it just allows Ashley to get out without being financially crippled.

• Ericles

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:44 AM

I do not give a hoot if Ashley is financially crippled because he does not give a shite that he is crippling NUFC in terms of football.

• valle

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I wish i could be considered financially cripled if my fortune had just fallen to a mere 800 million

• Billy Bunter

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM

mmm Ericles, I find your view strange to say the least, I am not pro Ashley as he hasnt communicated with us.

But rest assured he has saved the club from extinction. Financially speaking anyway.

• Toon Graeme

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Billy – spot on there fella. His cash has kept the gates open.

• Alex

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Lets face it their is no business man in the world that if he ploughed so much cash into the club would not want to see it back at some point . The Hall family and FFS will have made a pretty penny on their investment to the club over the years that they were here.

• Toon Graeme

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:02 AM

If you look at the scope of debt by Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U – ours aint that bad.

We need to trim the figures and if that mean flogging on the dross and high earners then so be it – barr barton.

Shame we cant flog MO to cash in! (awaits backlash on that one)

• Alex

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Toon Graeme
    no backlash from me mate , getting rid of Owen now would allow us to bring a couple of others in , that would give us the depth in numbers that we need

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Toon Greame I for one am with you on Mr Own. But the more and more things come to light we are in the shit financially, not as bad as Liverpool and Chelsea.

BUT Chelsea owe Abramovich in the same way we owe Ashleybut there’s is something like seven times ours. If he pulls out for whatever reason then Chelsea wont exist. Liverpool have to find money to pay there creditors and are in sheite street if they dont.

Why should we operate in negative figures if, and yes I know its a big if we can survive and operate within the Premier league and not have the Interest on loans to pay. Surely we will be in a much stronger position for the future. Less money to pay the banks surely equals more for the club (Or MA before someone pipes up.).

The previous crew ran up so much debt while still filling there own pockets. The current plight is not good or bright for the near future but it seems a hell of a lot better than if Freddy and Crew had been at the helm as we would be in the Fizzy already and fighting a relegation battle down there with a team that would probably be worse than we have in our reserves at the moment.

• Spitfire

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Ashley retail empire operates in the lower end of the market – the cheap seats. I believe he want to take NUFC to the same place. He will be as happier with a profitable championship club operating on medium to high profit margins than a premiership club losing money hand over fist. Relegation for him is not the nightmare everyone thinks it would be. (That might be all bollocks but its a theory anyway)

• Wigaz

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM

This is BS! When shay goes Harper will finally ne No1 at his home town club why would he piss that down the drain! get a life Journo’s! McManus for Toon!!!!

• Scotty

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM

i’ll be gutted is harps goes as well…

• Sav

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Billy Bunter, would you not believe that Shepherd is substantially right when he points out that the club was bought at a good price when Ashley paid 130-odd million for it? Wasn’t his pre-emptive move the upside of his failure to examine the books in detail before purchase. had it been protracted, other buyers may have raised the price closer to the value of the clubs assets, which were and still are substantial. The fact that the credit crunch has devalued NUFC is unfortunate but is in line with every other club, with Sports Direct and pretty much anything else anyone had money tied up in.

• Sav

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Spitfire, there is no upside to relegation, financial or any other way. It would be a disaster for you, me, Ashley, the club and everyone connected with it. Ask any club in the Championship.

Oh, yeah and the goalie story is from the People, so it has to be rubbish. Neither does it make any sense for Harper to move if we sell Given. He’s waited years for his chance and now when it finally dawns he’s going off to Spurs to compete with Gomez??????? Pull the other one.

• Toon_Ksk (ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!)

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Calamity James, lol

• chuck

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Why would Harper ,a local lad , well paid , playing for his home toon want away ?
    He`s a decent goalie (though certain fans will find out NO Shay Given)
    I think it`s probably paper talk about James.
    Guess Krul is`nt rated.

• DJG

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Nick 69 // Jan 25, 2009 at 9:32 AM

You would think so, but he is apparently being offered a lower contract and that is why it is stalling.
    Nobody deserves the no.1 Jersey like Harper and if Given goes to city he will probably be offered a higher contract anyway. God I hope we don’t get calamity James but tbh sounds like paper bu’@$#it to me.

I would be happy with Harper as No. 1 keeper and Krul as backup.

• super.trooper

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Another nail in the coffin.